The Scope

AFK 47

[img]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5429/newskf.png[/img]
[b]President Shakor to begin nation-wide speaking tour[/b]

[u]MATAR[/u] - The newly elected President of the Republic announced today that he will tour the country over the coming weeks. The Sebiestor tribesman, whose recent success within the national referendum that made him President of the new Republic, is planning on speaking at engagements in a variety of venues and locations.

Coming on the heels of the dissolution of the old tribal council, Maleatu Shakor expressed a desire to "connect with the true people of Minmatar and revitalize their respect and trust in the government." After discussion with his advisers, it was decided that the speaking tour will allow the president to reach the broadest audience.

Over thirty dates have already been announced, with Shakor making up to three appearances on the same day in some cases. Demand is likely to be high, as admission is to be free of charge. The president has dismissed worries that the extensive tour will affect his governance of the new Republic amidst increasing economic woes, including the extensive spending and rampant corruption. "I have many capable administrators and governors assisting me in bring government back to the people. The agenda of the people shall not be forgotten."

[b]Parliament convenes in it's first session; repatriation and economy on docket[/b]

[u]MATAR[/u] - The newly elected parliament (consisting of a stark Sebiestor majority) convened for the first time this morning, and began deliberations on a number of issues facing the Minmatar people. Chief among them are the issues of repatriation and the spiraling economy. Nearly 20% of ethnic minmatar are living abroad, primarily due to the lack of work in the country. When the initial fiscal crisis in 2008 hit the private sector hard, thousands across the country were laid off. Damaging an already fragile market, it spooked many investors and workers to flee the country in a bid to find "greener" pastures elsewhere.

With the election of a new government and the adoption of the formal constitutional document put forth by Maleatu Shakor, the new Republic is facing a daunting task: how best to entice former citizens to return to their homes and get back to work.

"[i]I think the best way to emphasize growth and renewal, is to relax regulation and promote an atmosphere of positive growth for businesses. We can't afford to continue the tax and spend status quo that has lead us to this point.[/i]" Shakor said in a recent interview with Scope reporter Marius Galek.

Experts around the country agree that spending has reached an all time high, and driven the national debt and "toxic" assets to record levels. Fearing more tumultuous changes and facing a certainly dim economic outlook in the short term, has lead to a drop in the Secure Commerce Commission (SCC), which is the primary stock exchange inside the Minmatar Republic.

Edited by AFK 47

[img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/340/parliament.png[/img]

The republic Parliament sincerely thanks the investment offers of the UFE Sovereign Wealth Fund, and will send a dossier on our negative assets that can be purchased at a reasonable rate. If you would like to develop an agreement to reduce trade barriers and tariffs, we invite you to come to Matar for discussions.

[b]Parliament proposes easing restrictions on Eifyr Corporation[/b]

[u]MATAR[/u] - Citing economic concerns, Representative Faron Shu confirmed to the Scope today his intention to introduce new legislation that eases restrictions against Eifyr Corporation trading and other operations in the Republic. This announcement comes in the wake of rumors concerning meetings between Eifyr Company officials and representatives of both the Brutor tribe and the Minmatar Parliament.

Speaking outside his office, Representative Shu described a desire to encourage the Minmatar firm to increase focus on its business dealings in the Republic, and associated territories as opposed to states such as Blue Water and elsewhere. "Support for our largest domestic firm during times of economic instability will benefit all Republic citizens," he said. The new legislation, which will be introduced early next week, also includes similar concessions for a number of other minmatar corporations.

Eifyr officials could not be reached for comment.

[b]Republic officials to observe Portugese wargames[/b]

[u]PORTUGAL[/u]Officials from the Republic Military School have arrived in Portugese "territory" at the site of a joint war game with Wallonia. Experts have long bemoaned the need for a more organized militia, and a drastic overhaul of current military doctrines.

The minister of defence was not available for comments on the matter, however.

Edited by AFK 47

[b]Report shows large gain in republic repatriation[/b]

[u]PATOR[/u] - The Republic Government today released the latest report on immigration figures which continued to show a dramatic decline in emigration from the Republic, coupled with a steady rise in Minmatar returning to the Republic from abroad, specifically states such as Blue Water.

Although experts in the field predicted a continuing drop in emigration numbers due to the positive economic news, continuing unity from the government and the growing optimism of the general populace saw a surprising gain in immigration from abroad.

"[i]A closer study of the numbers,[/i]" stated Professor Kell Baraim, dean of Economics at the Republic University, "[i]shows that the vast majority of those returning are first generation immigrants, the ones who have been in their foreign countries shortest. It remains to be seen whether this is a sustainable trend or simply a short term reaction to the current upswing of confidence in the Republic and its environs.[/i]"

[b]Land disputes on the rise as republic immigrant population grows[/b]

[u]MATAR[/u] – Increasing numbers of land disputes are being registered as the Minmatar Republic immigrant population rises, confirmed Urban Management, the independent land and estates administration agency for the Republic, in a press statement today. Jonas Massey, Urban Management's Planning Director in Matar, also admitted that disputes which normally would be settled with relative ease at the local level were increasingly being referred to the agency for arbitration.

Director Massey was speaking at a press conference called following a recent leak of Urban Management statistics which showed a four-fold increase in land disputes over the last six months. Among the leaked figures is a table correlating the rise in the immigrant population with the rise in numbers of dispute cases and the time taken to settle them. Additionally, many of the disputes are between tribal clans and the Republic government, relating to both the government's 'transit camps' and the permanent resettlement of immigrants on 'unused land.'

The brief incursion into the Thukker "wildlands" in June and the large scale repatriation of ethnic minmatars launched in October both led to significant increases in the number and size of the camps. Large numbers of former citizens have been arriving in the Republic since the middle of last year, with the rate of immigration yet to show signs of significantly slowing down. In man Minmatar cities, large tracts of unused land nominally under tribal control have been utilised by the Minmatar government on the basis of 'national need.' This government action appears to have led to a flurry of claims requiring arbitration by Urban Management.

Director Massey would not be drawn on the status of individual disputes, citing confidentiality and pointing out that the resolution of all disputes becomes a matter of public record once a decision has been taken.

[b]Farm privatization receives praise[/b]

[u]PATOR[/u] - In a recent press conference, senior members of the Vherokior Tribe announced that initial results of their farm privatization plan (dubbed the "Ownership Initiative"), enacted just three weeks ago, have already shown a marked improvement in productivity.

The plan, undertaken by the Vherokior Tribe Bureau along with their partners Native Freshfood, was designed to give assistance to small, independent farmers. Arvrin Ulppner, a spokesman for the Vherokior Tribe, explained: "[i]The large industrial farms give individual workers little sense of importance, pride, or self-determination, concepts which are be crucial to breaking down the psychological and social barriers experienced by those born into servitude. The Ownership Initiative sought to reverse that trend and give individual farmers a new opportunity. By offering no-interest land-purchase loans, we have empowered small farmers to build something of their own, property and a legacy that they can be proud of.[/i]"

The plan has proven a remarkable success, which Native Freshfood senior manager Daalgren Ladlios attributes to several causes. "[i]First off, many of these people have been farming their entire lives in a variety of different climates, and know their business well. Secondly, we place no requirements on what they grow or how they grow it. Initiative-supported farms run the gamut from synthetic hydroponics to purely organic, and farmers are free to grow crops according to what they feel will do well on the open market. In truth, it also avoids monoculture and makes for a much more diverse product line.[/i]"

Though the shift from large-scale industrial agriculture to small-scale family-run operations seems counter-intuitive, the initial results are difficult to argue with. The Brutor Tribe has expressed an interest in implementing a similar measure.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Commerce between Thukker Tribe and Minmatar Republic increasing[/b]

[u]RENS[/u] – In the month since the historic open borders agreement between the Minmatar Republic and the former barbarian Thukker Tribe, the volume of trade between the two has increased substantially and continues to rise. Established trade routes between the Republic citis and Thukker holdings in the Great Wildlands have seen a ten-fold increase in activity, while entirely new routes have been forged between the two regions by enterprising merchants.

'[i]Trade opportunities have multiplied almost daily since the announcement,[/i]' said the head of the Minmatar Independent Traders Guild, Ursak Deboul, reflecting optimism among the members of his organisation. '[i]Many of our members have traded on the margins of our areas and, in all honesty, with more than one Thukker caravan under condition of secrecy. Now that the trade is open and routes are becoming well used, it puts everything on a much more secure basis. I think this is why we're not yet seeing trade volume plateau. This is only the beginning and it can only be good for all the tribes of Minmatar.[/i]'

There is some concern among shippers at signs of increasing pirate activity in some less lawful areas but Thukker Tribe representatives have been quick to reassure Minmatar traders that patrols in the Great Wildlands have been stepped up, particularly along the backbone trade routes.

• 3 weeks later...

[b]Mystery cargo seized[/b]

[u]PATOR[/u] - A routine ore convoy customs check yesterday uncovered a cargo that officials are still at a loss to explain. The truck convoy was carrying supplies to be traded at Pator, where they were to make their next pick up. Among those supplies was a container of individually wrapped pills, unidentified except for the word 'Liberty' etched into each one.

Upon analysis of the pills it was discovered that each one contained a small cluster of nanobots, the function of which is still unknown. The drivers were held for questioning, but none of them, nor anyone in Pator, has claimed any knowledge of how the cargo came to be on the trucks, or what the pills' purpose is.

[b]Military receives much needed funding; Deploys new battle tanks[/b]

[u]
PATOR PROVING GROUNDS[/u] - The military deployed it's "Rifter" Class Main Battle Tank today as part of a new modernization package aimed at bolstering the country's faltering military image abroad. Following up from a series of excercises that the Republic was granted access to, the Republic Parliament has recently authorized a $1.2 bln expenditure on military development and rearmament for the small country. Among the things that are still in development are a prototype aircraft, a sleek corvette/cutter vessel and a guided missile delivery system.

[b]Starkmanir religious leader killed in violent riot[/b]

[u]ABUDBAN[/u] - A Brutor Tribe-owned Minmatar refugee settlement in Abudban endured a violent riot last night, during which visiting Starkmanir Sage Uldas Dreeter was killed by anti-theists who were protesting his public services. The Brutor Tribe has deployed a number of riot police units to the refugee area and is in the process of relaying the different groups to segregated communities.

As a cleric of the Amarr faith, Uldas Dreeter had been touring the Republic for several months. He had visited many refugee communities and was one of the most widely known religious figures in the Starkmanir tribe. His visit to Abudban yesterday was one of the last he had scheduled on his tour, after which he would have returned to his home in Pator. Those faithful to the Amarr religion throughout the Republic gave Dreeter a moment of silence out of respect for his work.

"[i]He was one of our best bets for uniting the tribe,[/i]" said Fredivar Parch, a member of Dreeter's tour staff.

Culturally motivated violence toward Minmatar adhering to the Amarr faith continues to ravage newly founded refugee settlements in the country. The Brutor Tribe has stated it will only implement complete segregation in the most extreme cases, calling the current process "a method of acclimatization." Several detractors have decried the statement, saying it implies the Republic is trying to punish or eradicate faithful Minmatar. The Brutor Tribe has fiercely denied this accusation, instead blaming government-defined guidelines on refugee processing.

[center]***Classified to Minmatar***
[img]http://d.imagehost.org/0552/UltraFlag.png[/img][/center]
The Brotherhood has noted your laments for highly trained soldiers - if at all possible, we offer the expertise of Councilman Roybal and nine Brotherhood's Fist officers who served in guerrilla warfare during the Portuguese Civil War. These men are highly trained special forces experts and can train your soldiers - be they regulars or militia - to the point where they're as good as any soldier in the world. We sincerely hope you take this offer, as we hope for closer ties with Minmatar.

Councilman Osorio

Edited by Markus Wilding

[b]Military suffers humiliating defeat; Cochin responds to Republican aggression[/b]

[u]Republic Transfer Station/Storian Border[/u] - Officials from the Minmatar Defense Forces released information tonight regarding a disastrous attempt to expand the borders of the Minmatar Republic some 50 miles west, into what is now being called a "Cochin Protectorate Zone" by both Republic and Cochin officials. Units from the 1st and 2nd regiments launched a fairly well coordinated attack against the Kingdom of Storia's eastern provinces, across a 100 mile front extending roughly fifty to sixty miles into Storian territory. Meeting no indigenous resistance, Republic forces attempted to stage a foothold in the region, only to be repelled by the threat of force from several Cochin mechanized units massing on the Cochin border.

"[i]It was a well planned attack, and it failed through no fault of it's planners or the men and women who carried it out,[/i]" said a senior defense official, who spoke on a condition of anonymity. Officially, the government has yet to announce it's full explanation regarding the recent operations in Storia, though it is rumored that talks are being prepared between the Kingdom of Cochin and the Minmatar Republic.

PATOR – Minmatar Customs officials have solved part of the mystery surrounding the 'Liberty' pills seized last week in the recent border raid. The nanobots each pill contained appear to have been designed to make their way to strategic parts of the body, including the lungs, where they instigate general hypoxia and eventually lead the subject to quietly expire from oxygen deprivation.

The Republic Justice Department have since confirmed the 'Liberty' pill to be behind a mass suicide at Abudban. “[i]We found a similar package containing some extra pills, and autopsies then revealed all the people died in the same manner. We are now relatively certain of the how, we just still don't understand the why,[/i]” said Justice agent Lenz Kaaloaka.

Republic Health and Safety officials have called for anyone with any knowledge of the pill or its manufacturers to come forward.

Edited by Maleatu

[b]Politician defends funding decision[/b]
[u]
PATOR[/u] - Wentach Mennar, a former member of parliament for the Representative Party, issued a statement today defending the decision to award grant money to the Minmatar People's Theatre for their staging of an admittedly "racist" 600-year-old play entitled ‘Plantation.’

"[i]Grants are made on the basis of the applicant, not on the merits of the project. The MPT has been providing quality theatre here in the capital for over 15 years,[/i]" said Mennar. “T[i]he fact so many people are talking about the play should be proof this troupe knows what they are doing.[/i]” Equality in Action, a media watch group protesting the staging of the play, responded by saying they found nothing funny about "cashing in on racism to fill seats."

[b]Plantation director receives death threats[/b]

[u]PATOR[/u] - Protestors upset with the planned staging of controversial 6-centuries-old play ‘Plantation’ picketed the box office of the Minmatar People's Theatre today. As the office opened and season passes went on sale, protestors carried signs and chanted slogans portraying the MPT as slave-holders.

"[i]This is ridiculous,[/i]" said the show's director, Jaken Lagos. "[i]I'm receiving death threats over this. The setting is updated to modern day Pator, and all the characters are now Minmatar, so how it can be racist?[/i]"

"[i]People should see the play before they judge[/i],” he added.

[u]Equality in Action[/u] has claimed no knowledge of death threats but vowed to continue pressuring the MPT to cancel the production.

[b]
Theatre bombed[/b]
[u]
PATOR[/u] - The Minmatar People's Theatre's main stage was bombed this morning, only a few short hours after the opening night of controversial play ‘Plantation.’ The theatre was empty and there were no injuries.

A group calling themselves [i]Free Our Families[/i] has claimed responsibility with a statement issued to press. "[i]The Amarrian slave holders in this play are cast as thinly disguised caricatures of Shakor and the other tribal chiefs. This goes beyond racism. If the MPT will not shut down this parliament-funded propaganda, we will shut it down for them.[/i]"

A tearful Jaken Lagos, the show's director, said "[i]We weren't trying to make a political statement about slavery or Shakor or anything else. We were just trying to make beautiful art.[/i]" The play’s sets, costumes and props were destroyed in the blast. The MPT has said it will not restage ‘Plantation.’

[b]Military to develop new Main Battle Tank[/b]

[img]http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/T-90S_PICS/T-90-drawing-02.png[/img]

[u]PATOR PROVING GROUNDS[/u] - The Minmatar Defense Force has contracted local fabrication plants in the Pator area to begin development and construction of a second generation main battle tank for the Republic Ground Forces in the MDF. Citing a need for continued modernization of it's existing forces, the Type 1 tanks currently in existence would be phased out of deployment if the development of the new tank is successful.

"[i]We are designating the new project, T80U, or T80 for short.[/i]" said a senior defense department official. Though parlimanet has yet to announce the funding for the program, it is speculated that it is tabled for debate and vote at the next session sometime in 2011.

Edited by Maleatu

[b]Victims defend 'Liberty' pill maker[/b]

[u]ABUDBAN[/u] - The trial of Pierre Allendreau, the man accused of manufacturing and distributing the suicide pill ‘Liberty,’ saw an unusual turn of events today, when those the prosecution are painting as the case’s victims rose to the defense of the accused.

[i]“He wasn't out to make a buck. He sold basically at cost, and would make as many as requested. We would have paid a lot more,[/i]” said Hebark Tooten, director of a mining camp in Pator. Another director from the same area, Freid Lefebre, said, “[i]He was the only one protecting us from being victims. If the Thukker Tribe comes for us – any of us – the Republic can't protect us, the Empires of the world combined can't protect us… who are we supposed to rely on? The Cochins? They're just as likely to kill us even if they do manage to stop a Thukker raid. What other options do we have?[/i]”

The prosecution asked for a short recess, which the judge denied. The string of witnesses speaking out in the accused's defense continued. Said Gael Sorchine, director of still another camp that had contacted Allendreau to purchase the suicide pill: “[i]The Thukkers promises the death of liberty, the world will promise death. If we are the victims in this case, it is not Mr. Allendreau that made us so.[/i]”

[b]Military begins first phase of modernizations; deployments made permanent[/b]

[u]MATAR[/u] - The military made it's first series of moves towards modernizing the predominantly militia orienting defense forces into a professional, standing army earlier this week. Amidst a call for a more organized ground and air force, the Republic Defense Department pushed into action the first deployments of over 5.000 soldiers and equipment. The cities of Abudban, Matar and Patar are undergoing rapid expansion to incorporate it's new soldiers and bases are being hastily constructed alongside more permanent housing for the men and women of the defense forces. Deployments of the T80U are only displayed as projected, as only a small number of the new tanks have been sent to their respective regiments. Production is slated to increase 235% in the coming months, to accommodate a rapid need for continued development in the military.

[b]Sanmatar Shakor announces thukker tribe visit.[/b]

[u]Pator[/u] - Sanmatar Shakor and the Republic Tribal Chiefs will host a meeting with Ennar Aeboul, Chief of the Thukker Tribe, it was announced at a press conference today. Shakor was short on details, stating that the goal was to "[i]promote goodwill between the tribes of the Republic and our Thukker brethren after a long period of misunderstanding between our people,[/i]" and that he hoped Chief Aeboul's visit would be productive for both factions.

When asked about the Thukker Chief's arrival date in Pator, Shakor surprised the assembled press by saying that he had arrived this morning, adding "[i]I hope the nation will join me in showing Chief Aeboul our warmest welcome. It has been far too long.[/i]"

This move comes after a general upswing in relations between the Thukkers and the Republic, following the Minmatar Republic's founding over a year ago. Prior to the founding, border skirmishes and ethnic tensions have plagued relations between the two entities.