White Waste, Death's Embrace

Subtleknifewielder

He didn't know how long he wandered from the scene of...the scene of...he kew in his mind it wasn't deliberate murder, though it felt like it. How could it have happened? One moment hed only been wishing he could stop those he cared about from dieing and then the blast...hit...

Could it have had something to do with the strange for of energy that had nearly knocked him to the ground? That even now he could feel, with every bone of his body, spewing out of the earth at Ground Zero?

But he could not dwell on that for long...the frozen landscape of the Antarctic wastes kept him from stopping...thoughts tended to slow him down...the cold was seeping into the very marrow of his bones...what was so important about going on, anyway?

The only reason his limbs had not locked up from the cold was the friction of his movement, and the heat still contained within the clothing he wore. He had, unkowinlg, been wandering for more than two months...he was unaware of it, but his body had shut down--despite having consumed the essence of the scientist at the blast, he was, technically, dead, as tests would indicate if he was ever medically examined. And yet he continued on, the magic having altered him to prevent his passing...

[i]'Oh, Melissa, I'm sorry I will not return to you...'

[/i]His wandering continued...

[b]Antarctica--Australian Penal Colony
24 hours After Zero Hour[/b]

Amy Byatt was not aware of what had happened at the pole. Amy Byatt did not care. She was too busy trying to catch a little sleep on her off shift.

A Lillian Guard, Amy had managed to anger her superiors with one too many mistakes, and so she was shipped off to this freezing hellhole in Antarctica. As if the prisoners would have anywhere to escape to on this continent-sized slab of Ice.

As she slipped out of her uniform and under the covers on her cot, her last thoughts were of home...

[b]Brisbane[/b]

What woke her was the lack of noise...the generators always kept up a background vibration...

At first she was unaware, at least in her conscious mind, of any change, but then she started awake as...she heard the call of a bird...her mind started racing and wondering if she was dreaming...and how she got here from...

[b]Antarctica--Australian Penal Colony[/b]

And just like that, she was back where she started.

--------

Archer Moorhouse was a prisoner here. He'd been connected to a series of killings in Western Australia and the Northern Territory. The evidence had seemed solid, his lawyer had said he should ask for a plea bargain, and this was the result. He too missed home, but at the current time, what was really on his mind was not his family...but how to prove who had really done it. He knew it wasn't him, and but he had no clue who the true guilty party was. And no way to find out...

The next morning, he woke to the ugly face of his cellmate as they were let out into the common room for their daily interaction. Yawning, he pushed the man away.

"Out of my face, Oatley."

"Heh, if you tried anything, you'd be smashed to a pulp." Nevertheless, he backed off...and Archer blinked as the strangest sensation came over him...he knew the man was lying...