The Anchorage Summit

Shatner

[b]Anchorage, North Pacific Commonwealth[/b]

The Tahoan majority in the newly christened North Pacific Commonwealth, formerly called the Alaska Republic, had just ended their boycott of Alaskan politics leading to the ascension of Colin Sullivan to the position of President. Not very long after, the NPC had been approached by members of the North Tahoan government to host a summit between their two nations. Sullivan was quick to approve and preparations were made for what he and his brethren saw as the father of their modern nation.

The route through the town from the airport to the Executive Building was blocked off and prepared for enormous foot traffic. Banners showing both the new Pacific Flag and the First Republic Flag of Tahoe hung from buildings, street lights, and stop lights alike. For all the pomp and circumstance that was being showered upon the route, the same level of preparedness was given to security forces who would remain unseen to the crowds that would gather to glimpse the honored guests.

Colin Sullivan and Secretary of State Völker would personally attend the meeting. They were driven to the private airstrip at the Anchorage International Airport and awaited the delegation with anticipation.

[img]http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/aer-lingus-4.jpg[/img]
The Tahoan Presidential Aircraft touches down in Anchorage and Darragh McDonnell quickly stepped off the jet. His first international appearance as President came in Anchorage, a city he had never visited before.

Shaking the hands of the Alaskan delegation he walked with them back to the waiting motorcade, saying "We have much to discuss friends, much to discuss."

Sullivan nodded, "Indeed. Let's not waste time then." The delegation from the NPC lead President McDonnell to the limousine, which promptly headed for the Executive Building. Once the motorcade arrived the Tahoan was shown inside and to the conference room.

The conference room was rustic yet extravagent in its own way, much of the room was made from meticulously carved wood. Once everyone was seated they were offered food and drink.

Presidents Sullivan and McDonnell were joined at the conference table by NPC Secretary of State Volker and newly appointed Field Marshal Rhodes.

Sullivan cleared his throat, "It is our honor to host you, President McDonnell. I'm afraid I only the general ideas behind this meeting, pleasant as it is. If you would be so kind as to begin?"

"Absolutely. Let me begin by saying that some in Tahoe are angry with your existance. They see you as upstart rebels who should be put down to bring Alaska into the Republic once more. This IS NOT, under any circumstances, the stance of the Tahoan government. Alaskans have the right to self determination and the North Pacific Commonwealth is Tahoe's friend, nothing less.

Therefore, I called for this meeting to allow us to know each other better, so we may be friends and perhaps allies. As we get to know each other, our committment to each other should grow."

"I wholeheartedly agree," Sullivan replied, refering to the last part of McDonnel's statement. "I understand why certain portions of the population feel that way. I have no reservations about stating the truth of our existance, our independence is merely circumstantial, an unforseen ramification consequential of the war. However, for the time being, we will continue to chart our course towards growing our new nation and strengthening her economically, socially, and militarily.

Of course, high on our priority list is establishing a connection with the Tahoe Republic, and hopefully a strong one. It is no secret up here that we support Tahoan Reunification, and do not recognize the government of SOuth Tahoe, or its annexation by the United States, as legal. It seems like foreign powers these days have a very hard time keeping out of the domestic affairs of other nations. Even we are not immune to such prying. We were condemned for having immigration policies that restricted the movement of convicted felons into our nation. Such is the way of liberal international policy plaguing this world."

Edited by Shatner

"Indeed. I am generally a non-interventionist when it comes to foreign affairs so the United States brutally taking over half of our nation cannot go unpunished. We will liberate our nation.

I am here to propose a free trade treaty with a mutual defense component."

"We are open to that. Currently we only have an NAP with Atlantis and a strategic partnership with China. It may just be fate that our first Defense Treaty is with the Old Fatherland. If you have some sort of agreement already written, I would like to peruse it."

Preamble

The nations of the North Pacific Commonwealth and Tahoe Republic recognize their shared bonds of history and friendship and pledge to work together in unity to work for the betterment of the world and North America. It is for that reason that the two nations come together and solidify their bonds with the following treaty

Article I. Non Aggression

The Tahoe Republic and North Pacific Commonwealth hereby agree to non-aggression. Neither signatory will launch military, political, or covert operations against the other.

Article II. Trade

The undersigned nations also agree to lift all tariffs on trade between their nations.

Article III. Mutual Defense

An attack upon one signatory will be considered an attack upon both, and will be treated as such.

Article IV. Optional Aggression

In the event that one signatory enters a war of aggression, their counterpart is given the option, but is not obligated, to assist.

Article V. Cancellation

Either signatory may cancel this treaty at any time, provided that they inform their counterpart of their intentions at least 96 hours in advance. This treaty will still be in effect during those 96 hours.

[quote name='Emperor Mudd' date='22 July 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1279835220' post='2384840']
Preamble

The nations of the North Pacific Commonwealth and Tahoe Republic recognize their shared bonds of history and friendship and pledge to work together in unity to work for the betterment of the world and North America. It is for that reason that the two nations come together and solidify their bonds with the following treaty

Article I. Non Aggression

The Tahoe Republic and North Pacific Commonwealth hereby agree to non-aggression. Neither signatory will launch military, political, or covert operations against the other.

Article II. Trade

The undersigned nations also agree to lift all tariffs on trade between their nations.

Article III. Mutual Defense

An attack upon one signatory will be considered an attack upon both, and will be treated as such.

Article IV. Optional Aggression

In the event that one signatory enters a war of aggression, their counterpart is given the option, but is not obligated, to assist.

Article V. Cancellation

Either signatory may cancel this treaty at any time, provided that they inform their counterpart of their intentions at least 96 hours in advance. This treaty will still be in effect during those 96 hours.
[/quote]

Sullivan looked satisfied and added his signature to the document, followd by Völker.

[b]Signed for the North Pacific Commonwealth;[/b]
President Colin Sullivan
Secretary of State Diedrich Völker

"I'm pleased with this arrangement. Now, were there other matters you wished to discuss? I was under the impression you might have been interested in talking ideology and politics, but of course recent events may have altered the time you can spend up here."

[b]Signed for the Tahoe Republic;[/b]
President Darragh McDonnell

"I had hoped that this treaty would form a basis for friendship and it will. I only ask you now to be wary for intervention in your internal affairs by states seeking to manipulate you. Perhaps I will return and go fishing here. Alaska has the greatest fishing in the world. As for politics, well I am a libertarian. I believe that the people are best ruled when left alone to rule themselves. The government is a referee with a light touch but nothing more. Any rules created must be done so by the people. Now libertarian for a Tahoan is perhaps more conservative than in other nations yet the principle of small government is the same."

[quote name='Emperor Mudd' date='22 July 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1279840726' post='2384993']
[b]Signed for the Tahoe Republic;[/b]
President Darragh McDonnell

"I had hoped that this treaty would form a basis for friendship and it will. I only ask you now to be wary for intervention in your internal affairs by states seeking to manipulate you. Perhaps I will return and go fishing here. Alaska has the greatest fishing in the world. As for politics, well I am a libertarian. I believe that the people are best ruled when left alone to rule themselves. The government is a referee with a light touch but nothing more. Any rules created must be done so by the people. Now libertarian for a Tahoan is perhaps more conservative than in other nations yet the principle of small government is the same."
[/quote]

"Ah of course. I try my best to get out and experience our natural gifts as often as I can, and you are quite right. Our fishing grounds are legendary," Sullivan replied lightheartedly, "As for our politics, our government is currently under majority control of the One Alaska Party, my own party, which is a conservative and protectionist political group. Although, the protectionist policies are starting to be dismantled. We believe citizen loyalty to domestic enterprises here will be enough to sustain our domestic companies. And I do think I remember a wise man saying, 'I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism.' I believe in that statement, and perhaps that makes the two of us not so different."

OOC: There better have been a Ronald Reagan in CNRP History.

"Ah yes, the nineteenth President of the Tahoe Republic, Ronald Reagan. He served following Richard Nixon's two terms which were preceded by the Kennedy brothers, John and Robert. I myself am a great believer in free trade, though I do confess that that belief is perhaps stirred by Tahoe's economic dominance in the Pacific sphere. We are great exporters. For a small nation trying to establish domestic industry protectionism is more understandable, though I do heartily believe that free trade is ultimately the best of all systems, for large and small nations.

OOC: I use a lot of American politicians as my characters if they were from the West or of Irish descent. Herbert Hoover, Al Smith, Reagan, Nixon and the Kennedy's are all former Presidents (Though obviously the Kennedy's were not assasinated and there was no Watergate for ole Nixon)

"Agreed. We expect to be running a complete free-trade economy within the next couple of years, can't rush the transition. FOr now, we do allow strategic partners and allies to bypass our protectionist policies, and we hope to be expanding those exceptions on our way to opening up our economy."