The Iberian Campaign

Sarah Tintagyl

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' date='02 June 2010 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1275535701' post='2321649']
We Sudanese find it reassuring that the French have kept it within Europe for a change. Good show France, jolly good show.
[/quote]
"I find it quite reassuring that it's the [i]French[/i] this time around," stated Espedito Onio, candidate of the NDF.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Al-Malak and his two aides (OOC: There's 3 of them Sarah :P) strode into General Delacour's office flanked by the members of the French Imperial Guard. As members of the SDO Branch of the Sicilian Armed Forces, all three wore the white dress uniform and black beret that distinguished these men and women as among the Military's most elite officers. All three returned Delacour's bow and took a seat.

"General Delacour, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ive been following your recent exploits and let me extend Sicily's congratulations on a successful campaign," General Said Al-Malak said, a small smile on his face. "Allow me to introduce myself, I am General Said Al-Malak, and these are my associates, Colonel Silvia Antonetti and Major Paul Benoit," he motioned to each as he spoke their name.

"You would be correct that Galicia prompts our visit, but from my conversation with the Steward our presence here has more to do with furthering the Franco-Sicilian relationship. The Steward is not necessarily upset over the Galicia invasion, though I do think it took him by surprise." He paused for a moment to think after Delacour offered drinks.

"A water is fine for me," he said turning to his compatriots. Both agreed that water would be good.

"The Steward really has no problem with what you did in Galicia so long as the people are respected and treated fairly. As far as we can tell that seems to be the case and I think he trusts the Empress to continue to treat her subjects well in the future. The Steward did not send me here to admonish you General Delacour, he has sent me and my associates here to help and advise the French Military. If you will have us of course."

"Of course, Her Highness would never do anything that had been done to the French people in the past. No culture should ever be destroyed because of an annexation movement. The Galicians will be respected as much as any French citizen and indeed, they have autonomy with French help on all affairs of state. As a matter of fact the only thing that France directly controls is the Galician Foreign Policy and we will use that to build Galicia into a stronger nation. Especially given that their protection is not only France's responsibility, but South Germany and Holy America as well." Claire began as water was brought to the three Sicilians. "As to the proposal for military assistance and counsel, I would like to offer this counter proposal that I believe the Empress would approve of."

Claire folded her hands and thought for a moment. "I will not try to beat around the bush, the annexation of Galicia is not the end of Her Highness' ambitions for France. Recently we have moved the entire second army from Southern France into Valencia to quell the anarchy and chaos in the country. Of course the other Europeans have to get involved with everything we do. To be honest with you General Al-Malak, besides the South Germans and of course yourselves, there are not many European powers we trust, perhaps North Germany, but I'm not quite sure about them either. This will not be the end, not until all of Iberia is subjugated to French rule, after that there is the pesky Atlantian colony in Monaco that needs to be negotiated and then it is time to look beyond the seas." The General smiled. "Well that is unless Eastern Europe explodes by then."

"Anyways, General, the strength of a Franco-Sicilian Alliance is on the top of Lady Therese's priorities. She has taken quite a liking to the Steward and Sicily in general, as all French people have and I hope the feeling in mutual. What I would like to propose is to make our friendship structured in writing, a Defense Pact with an Optional Defense Clause, I believe it is time for Sicily and France to take their rightful places in Europe. Don't you agree?"

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='03 June 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1275615787' post='2322892']
"Of course, Her Highness would never do anything that had been done to the French people in the past. No culture should ever be destroyed because of an annexation movement. The Galicians will be respected as much as any French citizen and indeed, they have autonomy with French help on all affairs of state. As a matter of fact the only thing that France directly controls is the Galician Foreign Policy and we will use that to build Galicia into a stronger nation. Especially given that their protection is not only France's responsibility, but South Germany and Holy America as well." Claire began as water was brought to the three Sicilians. "As to the proposal for military assistance and counsel, I would like to offer this counter proposal that I believe the Empress would approve of."

Claire folded her hands and thought for a moment. "I will not try to beat around the bush, the annexation of Galicia is not the end of Her Highness' ambitions for France. Recently we have moved the entire second army from Southern France into Valencia to quell the anarchy and chaos in the country. Of course the other Europeans have to get involved with everything we do. To be honest with you General Al-Malak, besides the South Germans and of course yourselves, there are not many European powers we trust, perhaps North Germany, but I'm not quite sure about them either. This will not be the end, not until all of Iberia is subjugated to French rule, after that there is the pesky Atlantian colony in Monaco that needs to be negotiated and then it is time to look beyond the seas." The General smiled. "Well that is unless Eastern Europe explodes by then."

"Anyways, General, the strength of a Franco-Sicilian Alliance is on the top of Lady Therese's priorities. She has taken quite a liking to the Steward and Sicily in general, as all French people have and I hope the feeling in mutual. What I would like to propose is to make our friendship structured in writing, a Defense Pact with an Optional Defense Clause, I believe it is time for Sicily and France to take their rightful places in Europe. Don't you agree?"
[/quote]

Said nodded attentively as Claire outlined her counterproposal. "Obviously I cannot agree to anything myself but I will certainly relay your proposal to the Steward. I do think it is worth pointing out that Sicily maintains a fairly strong military relationship with the Slavs to the East. If I understand your intentions correctly that may place us in an awkward situation in the future." Said paused as he took a swig from the glass of water the French had just brought him. "With that said, I will be sure to send your offer on to the Steward, and I dont believe he is totally against this, but it may require some further discussion between people more suited to such talk than myself."

"I would agree with you though, there is certainly a special bond between our two peoples, and I think that a strengthening of the Franco-Sicilian relationship is inevitable. Personally, I agree that France and Sicily need to assume a greater role in European affairs and the Steward is taking us in that direction. Unfortunately the lingering effects of the Crisis have hampered recovery and we have been necessarily cautious in our actions. For the time being we are occupied with the Peninsula but I think we have a similar outlook on things."

"Well France will always offer our help to pacify the Peninsula for you and aid you however we can. As I said before, we Westerners must at least try to stick together. God knows the rest of the world will be. But I think that any time that the Steward would wish to meet with the Empress, she would gladly accept an audience. But you three are more than welcomed to stay at Pau for the remainder of our operations in Iberia and..." Claire smiled. "Beyond."

"Thank you for the offer General, I will relay that along with your treaty offer; both of which are greatly appreciated. I am sure the Steward will be wanting to meet with the Empress to discuss relations in person, unfortunately I believe he has a very busy diplomatic schedule, he's about to make a trip East I believe so the meeting may have to wait. My team and I would be happy to stay on and assist you in your operations in any way we can General."

----------
[i]A few days later[/i]

[quote]To: Her Imperial Highness, Therese Zelle, Empress of France

Dearest Therese,

My man relayed to me the contents of his meeting with your General Delacour and I must thank you for your generosity. I know Said and his team will be happy to stay on with your military staff to assist however they can, they are good at their work, I am sure they will be of help. I thank you for your help in assisting me with the Peninsula, it is quite pacified apart from some minor disturbances in Martenshaven which have now been resolved. Thankfully, much of the previous governments military and civil administration could be retained, so stability has been maintained. Economically, assistance would never be frowned upon, but this is something I would prefer to discuss in person. As for General Delacour's suggestion of a treaty, while I am not opposed to a treaty (I would very much like one) I find myself in a delicate situation given relations between France and my other allies. I am off to Cochin for meetings with His Highness there, perhaps when I return we can meet, you can see my vineyards perhaps?

Yours,

Jean[/quote]

[quote]

[i]Dearest Jean,

Yes, Claire told me all about the arrival of your advisors and I am sure they will have a positive effect on the conclusion of the current campaigns in Iberia. Both of which, I am proud to say are seeming very favorable right now. Though Europe indeed is in a fright about the entire ordeal, with Scotland, PEPTO, and I'm sure other nations across the world breathing down my back, such is the price of strength and power I suppose. But that of course goes into your treaty discussions. I realize of course, though my words my not express it as much as my heart, face, and mind might be at the moment, but I have no regret for what has been accomplished by the Imperial Army and while I realize that I may have made things difficult for your future ambitions, I pray that you, Jean, do not see me as any less a capable leader and more important, a loyal friend.

However, I would be delighted to come to your villa where we can talk privately. I look forward to the meeting.

Sincerely Yours,

Therese[/i]
[/quote]