Intra-Imperial Relations

loannes

To the Duke of Pommerania

Dear Christian I,

It's been too long since we last spoke at the last meeting of the Holy Roman states. I'd like to invite you to my new palace in Berlin. Last you saw this city, the people were dissenting the idea of a new palace on the Spree River, and later openly revolted. I think you'll find a pleasant change in their attitudes.

[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54488/140/277F417E77B39E891C2DD603AC29A261.png[/img]

To the Grand Duke of Austria-Hungary, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire

Dear Friedrich III,

I believe you are long overdue for a trip to Brandenburg. You last visited shortly before the [i]Berliner Unwille[/i], when the people of Berlin were rather indignant towards my rule and the idea of the Stadtschloss. That feeling was...decisively ended five years ago. I'd like you to come see the progress of Berlin and Brandenburg.
[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54488/140/277F417E77B39E891C2DD603AC29A261.png[/img]

Edited by Drakedeath

Duke Christian I was received in Berlin by a delegation of the Duke's Personal Guards, on horseback. They offered salutes to Christian, and led him and whatever guards he had towards the Stadtschloss, going through Berlin first. The streets of the Berlin were much improved; the people were not throwing projectiles at the Guards, and the streets no longer smelled disgusting from neglect. The people seemed much less inclined to even throw a bad look at the Guards. Friedrich Irontooth had instilled a good aura over the town since stripping many of Berlin's city rights and crushing the violent rebellion.

The Statschloss was a large castle set in a swampy wasteland, north of Cölln. The Pommeranians were told to watch the steps of their horses, and the Guards led them along the path to the castle. A wench clanked from the castle, and the gates opened as they approached. Christian was led through the gates to the door of the interior of the castle, where Friedrich presided over Brandenburg. The Prince-Elector met Christian in the entry hall with a smile.

"Greetings to you, friend from the north," he said, spreading his arms to embrace Christian. "I see you made it here alright. How was your journey?"

Christian gave Frederick a friendly hug and continued into the castle. "It was uneventful, your men on the border seemed to recognize us, so that was good." Christian stood tall with long, blonde hair and facial features reminiscent of the warriors of the frigid arctic. "So, what have you called me to Berlin for? More trouble with the Saxons?"

Friedrich shook his head. "No, no, no. My wife, Katharina - you've met her, I believe - is from Saxony. She was Friedrich I of Saxony's daughter, and so is the sister of Friedrich II. She helped work out a deal to...ease tensions between us and the Saxons. That, and my recent ascension to a Duke, has ensured stability in the Brandenburgian foreign policy. We're just capitalizing on our best relationships, such as the one with Pommerania. Our states have come far from the petty Brandenburgian-Pommeranian conflicts, and are now allies in all but name. I seek to fix that."

"Ah yes, Katherina, how is she doing anyway?" It's true, Christian had forgotten that Brandenburg had ascended to a Duchy, it had been a while since Christian had been paying attention to the rest of the Empire while he was enacting his reforms.

"I think it would be a great idea for Brandenburg and Pommern to be treatied allies. I mean, you do have access to my ports for trade, and our borders have been open, so let's announce to the world that we'll fight together.

Friedrich waved his hand vaguely. "She's alright. She gives her regrets for not being able to see you here." He snapped his fingers, and one of his high ranking guards trotted over to them with a scroll. The guard extended the scroll to Friedrich, bowing, then returned to his post. Friedrich unrolled the scroll and handed it to Christian.

Preamble
In the interests of furthering the stability of the German peoples, and the Holy Roman Empire, the Duchy of Brandenburg and the Duchy of Pommerania, henceforth referred to as Brandenburg and Pommerania respectively, hereby enter into a pact of brotherhood and alliance.

Article I.
Neither Brandenburg nor Pommerania shall raise sword or hostility against the other, so long as this pact remains valid.

Article II.
Should either Brandenburg or Pommerania find itself under attack by a foe, whether that foe be Holy Roman or [i]Auslander[/i], the other is required and honor bound to come to their aid, no matter the odds.

Article III.
Should either Brandenburg or Pommerania find the need to strike the first blow against another, the other is required to join the attack, whether the enemy be Holy Roman or foreign.

Article IV.
Should, for any reason, either nation wishes to cancel this pact of brotherhood, they must give the other 48 hours advance warning, during which time the pact remains in effect.

Signed for the Duchy of Brandenburg,

Signed for the Duchy of Pommerania,
Duke Christian I

Edited by Drakedeath

Friedrich took the signed paper and called over the guardsman. "Send word to our scribes, and spread the word. Let the world know that Brandenburg and Pommerania now stand shoulder-to-shoulder; we are brothers-in-arms against our foes." The guardsman bowed and exited the building.

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='17 April 2010 - 11:39 PM' timestamp='1271540369' post='2264243']
To the Grand Duke of Austria-Hungary, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire

Dear Friedrich III,

I believe you are long overdue for a trip to Brandenburg. You last visited shortly before the [i]Berliner Unwille[/i], when the people of Berlin were rather indignant towards my rule and the idea of the Stadtschloss. That feeling was...decisively ended five years ago. I'd like you to come see the progress of Berlin and Brandenburg.
[/quote]
"Dear Friend,

When you receive this message, I will be on my way to Berlin and arrive four days later.
Until then."

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/Monogramm_Friedrichs_des_III.png"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/th_Monogramm_Friedrichs_des_III.png[/img][/url]

Upon arrival in Berlin, the Emperor would be met by the Duke's Guards, who would respectfully dismount and bow before him. Formalities would be done, and the Guards mounted once more, and led Friedrich III and his guards through the city. The citizens gave the Emperor a respectfully wide berth, and some gaped, open-mouthed, as the procession moved forward.

The Duke's Guards, riding at the front, rear, and sides of the column, had spent the four days before the Emperor's arrival discreetly scouring the area for any possible threats to the Austrians. They didn't want to be seen as responsible for the injury of a Holy Roman Emperor, especially one that had the full support of their own duke.

They reached the swampy wastes that housed the Stadschloss, and the doors were opened as the procession approached. Inside, an honor guard of twenty men, ten on each side, lined the path towards the interior, dressed in shining steel, and armed with long, glittering pikes, held with the butt spikes embedded in the ground, in front of the guard, both hands on it, and the point directly up. The Duke's Guards on horseback paid no mind to them, and dismounted, handing their horses off to stable boys, and leading the Austrians to the door. The Freiherr in charge of the column turned to the emperor, and said, "My Emperor, if you will leave your steeds with our stable hands, they will feed, water, stable, and brush them. I will then take you to the duke's hall."

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='18 April 2010 - 02:11 AM' timestamp='1271549475' post='2264407']
They reached the swampy wastes that housed the Stadschloss, and the doors were opened as the procession approached. Inside, an honor guard of twenty men, ten on each side, lined the path towards the interior, dressed in shining steel, and armed with long, glittering pikes, held with the butt spikes embedded in the ground, in front of the guard, both hands on it, and the point directly up. The Duke's Guards on horseback paid no mind to them, and dismounted, handing their horses off to stable boys, and leading the Austrians to the door. The Freiherr in charge of the column turned to the emperor, and said, "My Emperor, if you will leave your steeds with our stable hands, they will feed, water, stable, and brush them. I will then take you to the duke's hall."
[/quote]
A nod was all that was needed, and two men walked to the side of the Emperor to help him off the horse he was riding on, while the knights he had brought with him - an honour guard, the rest of his retinue waiting near the edge of the city - dismounted as well.
His wife, Eleanor wasn't accompanying him, even though they'd been married for only a year.
He would then be lead into the Duke's halls.

[quote name='Lynneth' date='18 April 2010 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1271552522' post='2264446']
A nod was all that was needed, and two men walked to the side of the Emperor to help him off the horse he was riding on, while the knights he had brought with him - an honour guard, the rest of his retinue waiting near the edge of the city - dismounted as well.
His wife, Eleanor wasn't accompanying him, even though they'd been married for only a year.
He would then be lead into the Duke's halls.
[/quote]

The Freiherr led the emperor upstairs, and down a long, rather plain hallway. At the end of the hallway was a large double-door, guarded by two men armed with iron shields and five-foot spears. They came to attention as the Freiherr and Emperor approached. "The duke will see you, sirs," one of them said, nodding his head to the door. Both guards reached over and pushed open the double-doors. The Freiherr entered first, gesturing for the Emperor to follow.
"My Lord," he said, addressing Duke Friedrich. "I present to you His Lordship, [i]Romanum Imperator Augustus[/i], Emperor Friedrich III of Austria."
Friedrich, who had been sitting on his throne, stood as the Emperor entered. "Thank you, Freiherr," he said, then turned to the Emperor and bowed. "My Emperor, I am glad you could spare the time out of your hectic schedule to come visit my humble duchy. I trust your journey, both inside and outside of Berlin, was pleasant?"
Katharina of Saxony, who sat on a throne next to Friedrich's, also stood, and curtsied respectfully "I am glad to meet you, My Emperor," she said in her soft voice.

When pleasantries were finished, Friedrich turned to his court. "Would my advisors, and the Freiherr, excuse us?" The court stood, and filed out of the room. "My love?" Friedrich addressed Katharina.
"Of course," she said, striding from the room.

When the door slammed shut, the duke smiled. "It has been too long, old friend. We last spoke five years ago. How has Emperorship been treating you?"

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='18 April 2010 - 03:23 AM' timestamp='1271553764' post='2264466']
Friedrich, who had been sitting on his throne, stood as the Emperor entered. "Thank you, Freiherr," he said, then turned to the Emperor and bowed. "My Emperor, I am glad you could spare the time out of your hectic schedule to come visit my humble duchy. I trust your journey, both inside and outside of Berlin, was pleasant?"
Katharina of Saxony, who sat on a throne next to Friedrich's, also stood, and curtsied respectfully "I am glad to meet you, My Emperor," she said in her soft voice.[/quote]
"It is no problem. The journey was pleasant indeed, as it was the last time I visited."
He then turned to the Duke's wife, Katharina, smiling slightly. "An honour, milady."

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='18 April 2010 - 03:23 AM' timestamp='1271553764' post='2264466']
When the door slammed shut, the duke smiled. "It has been too long, old friend. We last spoke five years ago. How has Emperorship been treating you?"
[/quote]
"Ahh, it's been much too long. But I'm quite fine, though being Emperor only added to my duties."
He walked around the room, stopping to examine one of the tapestries. "Stressful, but my beautiful wife, Eleanor is always there to help or comfort me."
The Emperor turned his head to the Duke. "Seeing what you've done to Berlin, life's treated you rather well, too. But you haven't invited me here to exchange pleasantries, I imagine?"

[quote name='Lynneth' date='18 April 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1271555199' post='2264488']
"Ahh, it's been much too long. But I'm quite fine, though being Emperor only added to my duties."
He walked around the room, stopping to examine one of the tapestries. "Stressful, but my beautiful wife, Eleanor is always there to help or comfort me."
The Emperor turned his head to the Duke. "Seeing what you've done to Berlin, life's treated you rather well, too. But you haven't invited me here to exchange pleasantries, I imagine?"
[/quote]

"Yes, I took Berlin under my personal jurisdiction for awhile after that revolt. The city was more concerned with maintaining it's rights than infrastructure." The Duke sighed and shook his head. "Calling you out all this way for pleasantries would be foolish." He put his hands behind his back and strode over to the Emperor and looked up at the tapestry, one depicting an early part of the Brandenburgian-Pommeranian conflicts. "It's interesting how conflict is an integral part of our world, isn't it?" he asked, touching the tapestry. "Thousands of years of existence, and man has fought in every one of them. It allows us to flourish. The Romans did flourish from battle, and the Huns did profit from it. It brought power to men like Gaius Julius, Alexander, Seleucus, and Attila. So many conquerors and warriors over the years..." He paused, then turned to the Emperor and smiled. "Funny, how there have been so many great leaders, yet we Germans have yet to bear our own master of war, isn't it?"

He strode back across the room, his boots thudding against the stone. "I'm getting sidetracked. My apologies. As I was saying, conflict is an integral part of our world. The weak and the isolated are eventually rooted out, and those without friends are soon forgotten beneath multiple masters." He stopped at a window and looked out. "Would you not consider Austria-Hungary and Brandenburg friends? In 1433, the Prince-Elector of Brandenburg voted for King Sigismund I of Hungary to be Emperor, and for you in 1452. We've had cordial relations with both halves of your nation, and continue to support you as Emperor. Our policies are, at least generally, similar, and we can both benefit from a bilateral alliance. What say you?"

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='18 April 2010 - 04:15 AM' timestamp='1271556941' post='2264522']
"Yes, I took Berlin under my personal jurisdiction for awhile after that revolt. The city was more concerned with maintaining it's rights than infrastructure." The Duke sighed and shook his head. "Calling you out all this way for pleasantries would be foolish." He put his hands behind his back and strode over to the Emperor and looked up at the tapestry, one depicting an early part of the Brandenburgian-Pommeranian conflicts. "It's interesting how conflict is an integral part of our world, isn't it?" he asked, touching the tapestry. "Thousands of years of existence, and man has fought in every one of them. It allows us to flourish. The Romans did flourish from battle, and the Huns did profit from it. It brought power to men like Gaius Julius, Alexander, Seleucus, and Attila. So many conquerors and warriors over the years..." He paused, then turned to the Emperor and smiled. "Funny, how there have been so many great leaders, yet we Germans have yet to bear our own master of war, isn't it?"[/quote]
"There will be one, eventually. Perhaps he'll be from Brandenburg or Austria, who knows?"

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='18 April 2010 - 04:15 AM' timestamp='1271556941' post='2264522']He strode back across the room, his boots thudding against the stone. "I'm getting sidetracked. My apologies. As I was saying, conflict is an integral part of our world. The weak and the isolated are eventually rooted out, and those without friends are soon forgotten beneath multiple masters." He stopped at a window and looked out. "Would you not consider Austria-Hungary and Brandenburg friends? In 1433, the Prince-Elector of Brandenburg voted for King Sigismund I of Hungary to be Emperor, and for you in 1452. We've had cordial relations with both halves of your nation, and continue to support you as Emperor. Our policies are, at least generally, similar, and we can both benefit from a bilateral alliance. What say you?"
[/quote]
Watching the Duke moving through the room, the Emperor stretched his legs some. Riding all day wasn't good on the bones.
"Our relations are indeed good. Personally, I do consider you a friend, and I do the same as ruler of Austria and Hungary. I'm quite sure than an alliance can only be beneficial for both of us...Though I'd ask you to contribute a few men to our efforts against the Ottomans. It wouldn't have to be many, just a token to show your commitment. I in turn will of course support you whenever it is needed."

[quote name='Lynneth' date='18 April 2010 - 03:29 AM' timestamp='1271557735' post='2264537']
Watching the Duke moving through the room, the Emperor stretched his legs some. Riding all day wasn't good on the bones.
"Our relations are indeed good. Personally, I do consider you a friend, and I do the same as ruler of Austria and Hungary. I'm quite sure than an alliance can only be beneficial for both of us...Though I'd ask you to contribute a few men to our efforts against the Ottomans. It wouldn't have to be many, just a token to show your commitment. I in turn will of course support you whenever it is needed."
[/quote]

"We've recently undergone a re-equipment of the Army of Berlin," the Duke said, scratching his chin. "They're using new equipment and new tactics. Unfortunately, the tactics are untested. Sending them off to fight the Ottomans should show the effectiveness of the tactics, durability of the equipment, and season our warriors. I do not foresee a war at home any time soon, anyway." He took from his tunic a scroll, and offered it to the Emperor.

Preamble
In the interests of furthering the stability of the German peoples, and the Holy Roman Empire, the Duchy of Brandenburg and the Grand Duchy of Austria-Hungary, henceforth referred to as Brandenburg and Austria-Hungary respectively, hereby enter into a pact of brotherhood and alliance.

Article I.
Neither Brandenburg nor Austria-Hungary shall raise sword or hostility against the other, so long as this pact remains valid.

Article II.
Should either Brandenburg or Austria-Hungary find itself under attack by a foe, whether that foe be Holy Roman or not, the other is required and honor bound to come to their aid, no matter the odds.

Article III.
Should either Brandenburg or Austria-Hungary find the need to strike the first blow against another, the other is required to join the attack, whether the enemy be Holy Roman or foreign.

Article IV.
Should, for any reason, either nation wishes to cancel this pact of brotherhood, they must give the other 48 hours advance warning, during which time the pact remains in effect.

Signed for the Duchy of Brandenburg,

Signed for the Grand Duchy of Austria-Hungary,

"An excellent treaty."
The Emperor signed it, elaborately as he usually did on such official documents.
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/Monogramm_Friedrichs_des_III.png"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/EURP/th_Monogramm_Friedrichs_des_III.png[/img][/url]