A Question on Nukes

Einer

The wiki says that there's a 24 hour wait period on nukes. This might become highly relevant in the very near future over in TE, so could somebody please clarify what this means? My interpretation is:

1) After war is declared, you can't use a nuke for 24 hours. The phrasing seems to indicate that this is actually a 24 hour timer and not waiting until the next server day, so you can't declare right before midnight and use a nuke right after midnight.

2) If you don't have any nukes, you can wait until 24 hours after war is declared, then buy and use one immediately. After the next server midnight, you can buy another and use it immediately. The 24 hour timer doesn't only start once you own a nuke, and the buy-one-per-day limit applies to server days and not an explicit 24 hour timer.

Are these assumptions all correct? I think my alliance is about to be forced into a war at 5:1 odds, so if I discover later that they aren't, the consequences could be rather dire! (Alas, the downside of establishing moral hazard for people raiding your nations...)

Thanks!

The way it works is time from declaration to update + 24 hours. If you declare 15 minutes before update, you will get to that update and then the 24 hours starts. If you declate 8 hours before update, you will go 8 hours till update, then 24 to the next. As far as I know, when you buy has no effect on this.

The way it works is time from declaration to update + 24 hours. If you declare 15 minutes before update, you will get to that update and then the 24 hours starts. If you declate 8 hours before update, you will go 8 hours till update, then 24 to the next. As far as I know, when you buy has no effect on this.

This is incorrect. What the game and the CN Information Index say is:

Nuclear weapons may not be launched until after 24 hours after declaring war.

What is meant by this sentence is one needs to wait 24 hours plus the time to the top of the next hour from when you declared. Thus the worst case scenario would be declaring exactly at the top of the hour which would require a 25 hour wait to launch. Any other time would be more than 24 hours but less than a full 25 hours. Someone declaring to do a quad at 11:45pm gametime would be able to launch at update of day 3 (24:15 later). If you declare at 2:59:59pm in the afternoon, you'll be able to nuke at 3:00pm the next day.

See this thread.

Great, thanks for the link to the appropriate thread - it explains exactly what I needed to know.

One of the other alliance's nuclear-capable members just started declaring war on us, so unless somebody finds some cooler heads that have any remote interest in prevailing, we should be spicing up the nuke reports tomorrow night!