Ghaznavid Empire

MadScotII

Very Short History

The Ghazi had fought long and hard for their freedom but this was not enough for the people. They new as long as their territory was so small they would be prey to their larger neighbours, so the first Sultan of Ghazi - Helmrad I made it his priority to fortify the territory. Unfortunately Helmrad I was killed before the works on the city of Ghazi could be completed. His son, Helmrad II completed the work and then set his sights on the neighbouring kingdoms. Helmrad II when he died was succeeded by his son Abdul I Telmrad who added the North Eastern and South Eastern territories. Abdul reigned for 3 years before, some suspect, being assassinated by his younger brother Abdul Mohammed - who captured the Provence of Gardez.

expansion.jpg

Red: Ghazi

Green: Territory added under Helmrad II

Yellow: Territory added under Abdul I

Blue: Territory added under Abdul II

Under Abdul II, each Provence was given a Satrap, each one able to set their own internal taxes, each home to an army 4000 strong - with the other 10,000 (included 2000 Sultan Guard) remaining based within the Ghazi region. .

Sitting on his thrown in the city of Ghazi, Abdul II begins to speak to his council "For too long our peoples were but Nomads, struggling on while our neighbours took advantage, first it was the Medians, then the Persians before Aleksandar came from lands far away followed by Antiochas and Selucius.

But now we have found the belief in what it takes to be come the Nation that you see today - I, Sultan Abdul Mohammed of Ghazi claim these lands as the land of which Allah gave to us.

Today in the twelfth year of my reign, finally we see peace. Ghazi is protected by lands, taken by our brave warriors thanks to the merciful Allah. Today peace reigns in the Kingdom of Ghazi."

Cheers went up as Abdul II finished speaking. He raised a hand and the room fell silent "As I speak, my eldest son Abdul is on his way to Gardez, our most eastern stronghold while my other son, Habibullah has gone south with a message of friendship to the Sultan of Mugha"

Gradez was an impressive city, situated in the highlands, and the home to over 60,000 inhabitants. Abdul, son of Abdul II stopped in front of the Tiger Gates, the main entrance to the city, impressed with the workmanship of the statues that stood guard before moving his horse forward into the city. The pace of the city thankfully reminded him of home but what did surprise him was the organisation of the city.

In the centre of the city was the Royal Palace, an impressive structure, where at the highest point you could see all over the city and beyond, but this was not what impressed the young man the most, as he had grown accustomed to this, no what impressed him the most was how the rest of the city was distributed. With the residential areas in 3 sections, with a bazaar serving each one, with a larger bazaar just south of the palace.

There was also separate sections of the city for warehouses and other industrial buildings. Abdul knew then that he would enjoy his stay in his new home