Whispers in the Dark

Sarah Tintagyl

OOC: Want to get this done now...saves me from waiting later...closed me and Subtle

IC:

New Jerusalem, Promised Land

The sun had gone down about five hours ago and the capital city had just begun throwing itself out of the warm winter evening into the coolness of the dead of night. It had rained a bit in the afternoon and throughout the evening and so the black roads had a smooth sheen of water that graced the surface, which created a gray fog that over took the entire city in a mystic embrace. Most of the streets around the capital complex were abandoned and only a few lights in the complex itself were still on, as a black town car pulled up to the first gates leaded into the compound. They had been stopped by the guards, but when the guards looked into the town car, first and the grotesque driver who seemed to have come directly out of operating tables is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and the shrouded woman in the backseat, they had let them pass. The woman explained that she had a great deal of business to take care with the administrator and that it would be best for him to let her car pass. It would be better not to disrupt the flow of destiny, that alone hadn't given him anything more than a scare, but after being persistent for her identification, he snapped a salute towards her before the town car continued to thunder towards the central complex.

Reaching the Capitol Building, the town car, being the only car on the road stopped at the stairs as the back door opened. "Wait here Loew, it shouldn't be that long. Thirty minutes and hour at most and I know that's nothing to you." The driver nodded, not saying a word, he never talked, only choosing to stare blankly at the windshield in front of him and then up to the stairs above. Stepping into the fresh air, the woman took a deep breath. "Oh, Australia, how I've missed you." She wore high black boots polished to a shimmer, black pants that were tucked inside, a white lace undershirt that was covered by another black coat, but most of that was hidden by the woman's cloak, black with a hood covering most of her face, everything was hidden in shadow except for her pair of bright emerald eyes that seemed to have an almost inhuman shine, white teeth, pale blonde hair that hung down through the hood and pale skin that could could only be found in the Northern parts of the world. A true Hanseatic.

Walking up the stairs to the doors of the Capitol, her boots echoed into the night with every passing step, until she threw open the doors and walked into the main hall. The lights hanging on the walls and above had been dimmed due to the lateness of the day, and only a single young secretary was working at the central kiosk. As soon at the cloaked woman entered into the building the secretary immediately took notice and she shrunk back a bit, this wasn't what she wanted to deal with.

"Excuse me. Ah, Miss? Is there something I can help you with. Most of representatives have left for the day, there's really no reason to be here unl-"

"I have an appointment with Administrator Anderson." Said the cloaked woman with a snap of her voice.

The secretary was puzzled, it was almost midnight, the Administrator had no appointments scheduled all day and definitely not one so late at night and something told the secretary, this probably wasn't a call-girl. "Um, I'm sorry Miss, but he didn't have any appointments scheduled today and I know that he's not in his office right now. So I can have you give me your name and what you need and I'll be su-"

"Quite all right." The cloaked woman turned to the secretary, her green eyes finally making contact with the hazel eyes of the small girl sitting at the kiosk. "Just phone him will you and tell him that a friend of a very good friend is waiting in his office..." The woman paused. "Oh, wait that won't do at all, Anderson is nothing but a tool, phone Anderson and tell him that a friend of Subtleknifewielder is in his office and has to speak with him immediately."

"Uh, Miss I'm afraid that's impossible. Subtleknifewielder doesn't make house calls and I cannot let you just waltz into Administrator Anderson's Offic-"

"No!" The woman pounded her fist against the desk. "This isn't a question or a matter of is this allowed, this is a matter of bringing back something that I think is too far over your little head." There was now a fine dent that the woman had made in the desk with her hands, strength that made the woman even more inhuman that before. "Now, I will not repeat myself. I will expect Subtleknifewielder here to talk with, you are going to call him and get this set up. Where is Anderson's office?" The girl shivered as she pointed down a hallway to the left. The cloaked woman nodded. "Thank you, see, just cooperate and we don't have to have this kind of problem. Please, don't keep me waiting."

She walked down the corridor to the doors at the end and turned the knob, unlocked, that was good, she didn't feel like having to go back to the secretary and ask for a key. The office was quaint as was expected from a member of government in Promised Land, they were a people definitely not know for their regalia, much different from Solidor Manor and the sheer magnificence of Diet Hall. The cloaked woman took a seat in the chair behind the Administrator's desk as she put her feet up and leaned her head back waiting for the Shadow Leader to arrive or if worse came to worse, a representative.

When the door did finally open, whomever had come would find the cloaked woman rocking steadily back and forth her feet keeping the balance on her desk. "Ah, lovely, its about time someone arrived." She lifted her faced up, dropping her hood, showing the full extent of her elven features. And for anyone of the of Promised Lander Government who had attended even one ball in Solidor Manor, the presence of General Hannah Asgeirsson was not soon forgotten as smile ran over her face, her green eyes shining magically, as she walked in front of the desk. A woman who had been sunk in depression, sadness and rage, who had been rebirthed in Hell.

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Richard Anderson was not in a mood to be trifled with right now. Subtleknifewielder was off doing who knew what (something to do with some racial supremecists that had to be put down), leaving him to hold down the fort, so to speak. Not that that was anything new, but with the conflicts in Africa, the uncertain nature of the government in New South Wales, the presence of American troops on Australian soil, and the apparent belligerence displayed by another Australian State towards anyone remotely connected with Tintagyl and her former regime...it all added up to a major headache.

And now he had another problem waiting for his office.

All in all, his mood was decidedly sour as he walked into the room, about fifteen minutes aftere she had first arrived in the building. Like most previous governments, it was not know for its luxury, but rather functionality, a constant remwinder thart though they might make the decisions, they were still servants of the people.

He shut the door behind him, then turned to face his visitor, his displeasure all too apparent in the frown on his face.

"Ah, lovely, its about time someone arrived."

"Hmm," was his neutral reply. "Mind getting out of my seat? And that desk is not a footrest." Normally he'd be ecstatic to find such an attractive woman waiting for him in his office, but the present circumstances, and what she probably had come for, pushed all such thoughts out of his mind.

When she got up to greet him, he automatically reached out, offering to shake hands. "I don't suppose either of us needs to introduce ourselves, as I know your name, Ms. Asgeirsson, and you know who I am. Unfortunately, Subtleknifewielder could not be here, as he is actually a little busy right now. You're actually quite fortunate I hadn't left for home yet."

He forced his frown into a more neutral expression, but it did nothing for how he was really feeling right now.

"Mind getting out of my seat? And that desk is not a footrest."

"Certainly Mr. Anderson." Hannah said as she pushed the seat out from under her and walked up to him, her footsteps echoing on the hard wooden floor. She walked up to him and as he extended his hand, she took the palm in her own and smiled.

"I don't suppose either of us needs to introduce ourselves, as I know your name, Ms. Asgeirsson, and you know who I am."

"Yes, quite, I'm glad that we're both still able to identify each other even after what has it been now? Two years since the Fall of the Commonwealth. Things have changed so much since then, but you know. I did ask for Subtleknifewielder." A smirk crossing her face.

"Unfortunately, Subtleknifewielder could not be here, as he is actually a little busy right now. You're actually quite fortunate I hadn't left for home yet."

She chuckled and rolled her eyes back in a sarcastic motion as she let go of his hand. "Yes, I can see that and it is unfortunate, but not terrible, you can help me after all. You are an executive." Hannah walked over to another chair on the far side of the room and brought it towards the desk. "I hope you don't mind me sitting here though. Anyways, I have a story to tell you and I have a proposal that I hope that you would consider as it would bring back the strongest ally that Promised Land has probably ever had in its history. Or at least that's how Hanseatics like to view it, we of course would like to have our ally back as well."

Hannah sighed and leaned back as she took off her cloak and straightened her coat out a bit before running her hands through her hair and beginning. "Where to start...where to start..." She fingered her chin. "Ah yes, Lady Sarah's departure as a world leader. I should tell you Mr. Anderson that her decision weighed heavy on every Hanseatic citizen in the Commonwealth, it destroyed our souls, it really did. However, we banded together in the world protectorate to protect ourselves from harm and the other factions that rose up to oppose her rule and her ideals. I myself am not one to bicker over ideals, this world has too many ideologies and too many idiots running countries, I can fully understand why she left. However, she entrusted me with the protection of her people and our nation." Reaching down beneath her undershirt, Hannah pulled out a small silver locket with the Tintagyl Crest inscribed on the front. "She gave this to me when I was knighted as the First Knight of the Commonwealth before she left and I took an oath." Placing the locket back under her shirt Hannah looked back up at Anderson with her green eyes.

"Then Queensland appeared and what is possibly a civil war erupted in the nation. Finns against Cymeag, Queenslanders against people calling themselves 'Tintagylists' some god-forsaken cult that I know nothing about. The turmoil became so bad that I lost all hope and ran. I was going to flee to the new nations in the north, Cyrnrice Northan, but before we arrived, my plane crashed in Greenland, I was the only survivor. The Eggmans found me and took me in and built up with so much rage at the chaos and turmoil gripping my homeland the Emperor of the Eggmans offered me a chance to reclaim my land, a power to reclaim my land. I will just say this, I have seen horrors that no man should ever have to see in his life, they did things to my body both terrifying and wonderful, I gained a great strength but at a horrible cost of pain and suffering." Hannah looked at him and narrowed her eyes. "Hell, is not somewhere you want to go."

"Anyways, I have returned to recreate the Hansa once again. I am going to bring the Commonwealth back to its former glory, better perhaps. But I need to know that Promised Land will at the very least let this occur without interference. I will tell you right now, I have every intention of re-taking Brisbane, I would like to know if Promised Land will have a problem with that however, along with I wanted to stop by to introduce myself again to you gentlemen, and continue our relations where we left off. I do hope this didn't put a damper on any of your current plans." She smiled, almost sadistically.

"Certainly Mr. Anderson." His sour mood lessened a fraction when she made no move to insist on keeping the seat. At least she wasn't going to be unreasonable, so far as he could tell. After she released his hand, he took his now-vacated seat.

"Yes, quite, I'm glad that we're both still able to identify each other even after what has it been now? Two years since the Fall of the Commonwealth. Things have changed so much since then, but you know. I did ask for Subtleknifewielder."

After explaining He sighed as he noted her sarcasm. She must think it was some kind of delaying tactic. But you couldn't get blood from a stone, and it was equally possible for a person to be in two places at once--that is to say, not possible. He really was the highest executive she could talk to right now.

"It's hard to forget someone of such high esteem in one of our closest allied states," he replied noncommittally.

"Yes, I can see that and it is unfortunate, but not terrible, you can help me after all. You are an executive." 'Don't remind me,' he thought briefly, his mood souring even further, but he remained silent as she continued speaking.

"I hope you don't mind me sitting here though." He waved a hand in a clear invitation to take any other seat she wished. "Anyways, I have a story to tell you and I have a proposal that I hope that you would consider as it would bring back the strongest ally that Promised Land has probably ever had in its history. Or at least that's how Hanseatics like to view it, we of course would like to have our ally back as well."

Anderson managed a hint of a smile. She had indeed understood correctly. While New South Wales (previously New Cymru) and Dragonisia had always been close allies, so too had the Hansa. It was really difficult to say which of the three had been the closest.

"Where to start...where to start..."

"I hear the beginning's always a good place for that," the Administrator couldn't resist quipping, wondering how she would react to it. But when she began her tale, he did not interrupt until the end. His eyes locked onto hers as she explained herself, except for a brief moment when she brought out the locket. All throughout, he kept his expression carefully neutral.

When she stopped, the man didn't reply for a good thirty seconds, leaving her to possibly wonder if he was going to speak at all. But he did break the silence by shifting in his seat and clearing his throat. Rolling back the long sleeves of his work uniform, he stared intensely into her eyes, unintimidated by the near sadistic nature of her smile.

"You are not the only one who knows of hell," he said, almost conversationally, scoffing, then glanced down at his arms, both now exposed to the mid forearm. What had been previously been hidden by the sleeves now stood revealed--a fine mesh of criss-crossing scars from both cuts and burns. They were all old, but the scars bore testament to what he had gone through. Had he simply told his captors the real identity of Subtleknifewielder, he could have avoided that, but disloyalty was not in his nature.

"So, you want to re-create the Hansa. I think that's something that both Miss Tintagyl and my...master would appreciate. However, before I say for sure, i need to know something."

He reached down into a drawer, then came up and tossed a document, clearly a photocopy of whatever the original had been, onto the surface of the desk. "Mind telling me what you were thinking when you wrote that? Because you should realize that writing that has now put them on their guard..."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

"Mind telling me what you were thinking when you wrote that? Because you should realize that writing that has now put them on their guard..."

Hannah smiled. "Oh good, so my letter did reach the !@#$%^&*." She leaned back and cracked her knuckles. "I want Queensland on their guard, after all I would have announced it before I retake the capital anyways. A bit cocky yes, but I like my enemy to know that I'm coming for them, I want them to stew in their fortresses before my men will attack. Mind you I have no men at the moment, but there are still loyal soldiers of the Commonwealth and from the news I've heard New South Wales is already doing my work for me, so I'm not extremely worried about what happens. From what I know, is that New Anglica has forces in Australia that have no business here and that the Queenslander government has virtually no army. I am not a devil Anderson, when the Hansa is created, they will have the chance to leave the capital and reform their people somewhere else perhaps. I was thinking maybe in the former Rakatan territory near Darwin, but that's only if you would want to, if not, I'll take care of it myself."

The Knight sighed and looked up at Anderson. "You seem upset Mr. Anderson. I really do hope that I didn't offset you, but you must understand the urgency I come with. I am trying to bring back my homeland, my motherland and everything that makes me a person. So if you think you're upset right now, you have no idea of the pain that I'm going through." However she did notice his arms and the scars. "You've been through a lot too, so maybe you do know what I'm going through than that, the answer, 'no', is not an option. The Hansa is going to come back whether the world wants it or not. Its what I want and what my people want and after the display of politics in the World Protectorate, I don't think there is or even could be another option."

"So what will it be Mr. Anderson, I'm not asking for your armies, I'm not asking for your country, your industry, or anything. In fact maybe it would have been better if I never would have came by. But see." She rose from the seat and looked down at the leader. "There is not doubt that The Hansa and Promised Land would not become allies in the future and I think I should make myself known to you and your people before they see this new face in charge of such a familiar nation. That is what I came for. I may not be as cordial as Sarah or as heartfelt, but at the moment I really don't care. There's my offer, your response?" Her face, the picture of apathy.

"Oh good, so my letter did reach the !@#$%^&*."

He gritted his teeth. Plans had been in place to ensure the New Anglicans were pushed out, plans that would ensure their own troops in Brisbane.

"I want Queensland on their guard, after all I would have announced it before I retake the capital anyways. A bit cocky yes, but I like my enemy to know that I'm coming for them, I want them to stew in their fortresses before my men will attack. Mind you I have no men at the moment, but there are still loyal soldiers of the Commonwealth and from the news I've heard New South Wales is already doing my work for me, so I'm not extremely worried about what happens. From what I know, is that New Anglica has forces in Australia that have no business here and that the Queenslander government has virtually no army. I am not a devil Anderson, when the Hansa is created, they will have the chance to leave the capital and reform their people somewhere else perhaps. I was thinking maybe in the former Rakatan territory near Darwin, but that's only if you would want to, if not, I'll take care of it myself."

"The problem with this letter, Ms. Asgeirsson, is that it unnecessarily complicated the situation. Before, the Queenslanders had no reason to mistrust us, and we could have had troops in Brisbane without much hassle. They even had us send over a representative to a private meeting with their government, asking if we were willing to sign an MDP after showing General Gogol, the representative we'd selected, that letter. However, that's not the biggest problem with your little stunt. They also told him that if they are forced out of Brisbane, there won't be a city left to take. And we can't put them in Darwin...we are holding that territory for the Rakatan government should it ever return, much the same as we held Tasmania for the Dragonisians so long ago."

"You seem upset Mr. Anderson. I really do hope that I didn't offset you, but you must understand the urgency I come with. I am trying to bring back my homeland, my motherland and everything that makes me a person. So if you think you're upset right now, you have no idea of the pain that I'm going through."

He looked askance at such an assumption, but before he could respond, she continued.

"You've been through a lot too, so maybe you do know what I'm going through than that, the answer, 'no', is not an option. The Hansa is going to come back whether the world wants it or not. Its what I want and what my people want and after the display of politics in the World Protectorate, I don't think there is or even could be another option."

Anderson folded his arms across his chest, finding himself nodding in agreement. "To be honest, I think the world needs tha Hansa to return, whether it likes it or not. It always was a balancing factor, even when it bypassed the normal diplomatic channels. There are some nations in existence today that would not be here now if it were not for you and your people."

"So what will it be Mr. Anderson, I'm not asking for your armies, I'm not asking for your country, your industry, or anything. In fact maybe it would have been better if I never would have came by. But see." He stared up at her calmly as she stood. For a leader promising the return of her country, she didn't seem to put a lot of emotion into her speech. "There is not doubt that The Hansa and Promised Land would not become allies in the future and I think I should make myself known to you and your people before they see this new face in charge of such a familiar nation. That is what I came for. I may not be as cordial as Sarah or as heartfelt, but at the moment I really don't care. There's my offer, your response?"

"If you're not asking for our armies, our industry, or any help at all from us in re-establishing your nation, what are you asking for? Are you asking if we will let you do what you believe needs to be done? I can't answer that until you tell me how far are you willing to go. We may be able to tolerate more than you think, but until I know for certain, I cannot make any pr--"

He was interrupted by the door opening. Grunting in annoyance, he made as if to stand, but seeing who it was, he simply relaxed in his chair once more, sighing.

"Anthony, I thought you had gone home..." he said, tapping the fingers of his right hand against his arm.

"I took care of some buisness I had intended to put off until tomorrow," Anthony Harlem said as he walked into the room. "I heard voices in your office, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of burglar or something."

Anderson rolled his eyes, bit turned to Hannah. "Hanna Asgeirsson, in case you haven't met him before...meet Anthony Harlem. He was a friend of Miss Tintagyl as well."

Hannah stared back at Anderson for a moment and then at Harlem as he walked through the door. "Yes, I know Mr. Harlem quite well, Her Ladyship had always talked about you in the most cordial way possible and as for me I have always looked up to you as one of Promised Land's best leaders, so you do me honor in coming here to speak with me." She took his head. "Please forgive my mood, my arrival, and appearance in general, I have very little patience left to deal with this world and what is happening to my nation in general." She turned back to Anderson and narrowed her eyes. "However as I was saying, things would have just been complicated upon the second rise of the Commonwealth I sincerely doubt they would have treated us with any such respect, as I see how they are treating the Acca Daccans. Therefore, I show no such respect for these people and my letter was simply stating that regard."

"As to them threatening to burn Brisbane to the ground, the German's destroyed Helsinki then they destroyed Brisbane, my people have always suffered and no doubt we will continue to suffer in the future. Mr. Anderson, if there were such a people who were truly forsaken, they call themselves Hanseatic. But as to what I am asking. I am asking that Promised Land not interfere with my affairs of retaking my capital city. As you have already told me the Queenslanders have approached you about and I would prefer therefore this meeting was important to know whether or not I have allies on my western border. I presume I do, but no leader forges ahead without taking precautions first."

Hannah looked back at Harlem and frowned. "My intentions are just that, retake my capital, rebuild my country back to the glory it once had, and begin a new age for my people one where they will not be forsaken, one where they will not cry out in the streets for leadership and where a weak government will not submit them to ethnic genocide that has happened in Brisbane. If you really must know, that city is dead to me until a Hanseatic flag flies once again over the spires."

"You were a friend of hers Mr. Harlem, you know that what is happening now must cause her such pain, such suffering. I want to correct those wrongs and in the future, I hope I can count on your friendship."

"Yes, I know Mr. Harlem quite well, Her Ladyship had always talked about you in the most cordial way possible and as for me I have always looked up to you as one of Promised Land's best leaders, so you do me honor in coming here to speak with me." Anthony's cheeks showed just the faintest hint of pink. "You give me too much credit, General Asgeirsson. I don't know what Sarah told you to give you the impression I'm any kind of leader, unless she referred to my job in the diplomatic corps." "Please forgive my mood, my arrival, and appearance in general, I have very little patience left to deal with this world and what is happening to my nation in general." "Perfectly understandable," he said with a ghost of a smile, one which disappeared entirely in the next instant. "In the unlikely event such a thing were to happen to Promised Land...I don't know what I'd do." "Neither would I," Anderson mused quietly, almost to himself, before meeting Hannah's stern gaze. "However as I was saying, things would have just been complicated upon the second rise of the Commonwealth I sincerely doubt they would have treated us with any such respect, as I see how they are treating the Acca Daccans. Therefore, I show no such respect for these people and my letter was simply stating that regard." "I can understand that sentiment, and indeed I agree it would have been complicated regardless. However, the position you've put this nation in with the sending of that letter is not easy. We've always done our best to avoid looking the hypocrite to the world. We already call other nations down for hypocrisy, we'd rather not have our own words thrown back at us. You mentioned earlier that I seemed upset. This was one of the reasons why."

"As to them threatening to burn Brisbane to the ground, the German's destroyed Helsinki then they destroyed Brisbane, my people have always suffered and no doubt we will continue to suffer in the future. Mr. Anderson, if there were such a people who were truly forsaken, they call themselves Hanseatic. But as to what I am asking. I am asking that Promised Land not interfere with my affairs of retaking my capital city. As you have already told me the Queenslanders have approached you about and I would prefer therefore this meeting was important to know whether or not I have allies on my western border. I presume I do, but no leader forges ahead without taking precautions first."

"Promised Land has considered itself a friend to the Hanseatic people from the moment they first aided us in our re-construction efforts. They have never been truly forsaken. Just as the welcomed all--Finnish, Cymraeg, Marchar, even some of Promised Land's own citizens, so too have we always held a special place in our hearts for them."

"My intentions are just that, retake my capital, rebuild my country back to the glory it once had, and begin a new age for my people one where they will not be forsaken, one where they will not cry out in the streets for leadership and where a weak government will not submit them to ethnic genocide that has happened in Brisbane. If you really must know, that city is dead to me until a Hanseatic flag flies once again over the spires."

"You were a friend of hers Mr. Harlem, you know that what is happening now must cause her such pain, such suffering. I want to correct those wrongs and in the future, I hope I can count on your friendship."

A note of sadness was displayed in Anthony's eyes, and he nodded even as Anderson replied. "I understand that, I understand your goals, and a portion of your pain, but my question still stands. What are you willing to do to accomplish your goals?"

Anthony displayed a sad smile. "In other words, what dark things are you willing to do to get your country back? What sacrifices, in addition to whatever you've already done, are you willing to make? I know Sarah was never one to believe that the ends justified the means, like Subtleknifewielder and to a lesser extend Anderson...but but what of you, General?"

"In other words, what dark things are you willing to do to get your country back? What sacrifices, in addition to whatever you've already done, are you willing to make? I know Sarah was never one to believe that the ends justified the means, like Subtleknifewielder and to a lesser extend Anderson...but but what of you, General?"

Hannah stared at Anthony with bright eyes. "I would rather have that city burn to the ground than in the hands of anyone besides the Hanseatic people and if you want to talk about what I am willing to do?" She looked back and Anderson and shot him a glare. "I would rather die than not have my country restored, if I fail once, I will try again, and I will continue to try until I have my country back. Is that understood! Don't treat me as a lesser person because I don't have an army, or a country to call my own." Her anger began to build as she reached over to the desk and took the photocopied letter, ripping it to shreds. "You know what I wanted to tell them? That they have until I declare the Hansa to evacuate that city and if Brisbane is not empty when my army marches through it that I will personally destroy everything related to Queensland. Not the civilians, I'm not a murderer, but I am a warrior and if you have a country and you aren't willing to defend it with your life then you might as well leave." She turned back to Anderson, flames in her eyes. "THERE'S MY GODDAMN ANSWER! I'm going to destroy that country unless they leave MY city!"

She took a deep breath and stared at the ground, returning to her seat to sit down and holding her head lightly. Hannah sat there for a good minute, just breathing, sweat beginning to bead on her forehead as she looked up to Anthony. "I'm not Sarah, I don't want to be Sarah, this country doesn't need another Sarah. I love Her Ladyship and I would walk to the ends of the Earth for her, but she abandoned us, she abandoned us to genocide and destruction and I saw my country men perish because of it. For me, I have a goal, and I will do anything to achieve it. We were a people that were subjected to everything the world told us to do, if the world asked use to wait, we waited even if we knew it was wrong. Sarah was nothing more than a babysitter to idiots that call themselves leaders. She had friends, Promised Land was one of those friends, but the rest of the world. Honestly Mr. Harlem, can burn in Hell for all I'm concerned. They only gave us grief and well wishes when something bad would happen."

Hannah sighed and turned back to Anderson. "I am going to build an army when I return to the World Protectorate. There are loyal soldiers to me there. At least one hundred thousand strong, from the remnants of the old Hanseatic army. I will rebuild my air force, my armor divisions, then I will march on Brisbane, its as simple as that. If Queensland surrenders they will be spared and the coup will be complete. If they do not then I will fight a war, like every country fights a war. If you are worried about your hypocrisy think of it like this, if I did not send this letter, if I did not come to meet with you, then you would still have to deal with the hypocrisy that I would be invading a sovereign nation on Australian territory. Though I consider them North American puppets still."

She looked down at the ground and shed one single tear. "But I'm talking in circles. Perhaps it would have been better if I didn't come at all. Neither of you want to listen to the ravings of a madwoman." Picking up her cloak she threw it around her and began to walk towards the door. But with plenty of time for Anthony to stop her if he so chose.

Anthony could see the sincerity in her eyes, and while she was ranting to Anderson, her attention focused solely on him, Anthony met his eyes and nodded once. They had finally broken through the emotionless facade, and the vehemence of her reply did more to convince them of the strength of her will and dedication. Anderson forced himself not to flinch when she reached across the desk and ripped the copy of the letter to shreds.

"You know what I wanted to tell them? That they have until I declare the Hansa to evacuate that city and if Brisbane is not empty when my army marches through it that I will personally destroy everything related to Queensland. Not the civilians, I'm not a murderer, but I am a warrior and if you have a country and you aren't willing to defend it with your life then you might as well leave." The glare she turned on him was actually welcome. It gave him something to focus on. "THERE'S MY GODDAMN ANSWER! I'm going to destroy that country unless they leave MY city!"

When she sat back down, she took at least a minute to compose herself after that outburst. However, they had seen what they needed to see, though they listend as she continued to speak.

At the end, she displayed another sign of emotion, only cementing the decision they seemd to have reached wiothout speaking in any way. "But I'm talking in circles. Perhaps it would have been better if I didn't come at all. Neither of you want to listen to the ravings of a madwoman." Anderson sighed as she prepared to leave, returning the earlier nod while she was distracted.

Anthony stepped in front of her before she reached the door, reaching behind himself and firmly locking it without needing to look behind to see what he was doing.

"No," he said, putting up a hand to indicate she should stop and listen. "You came to the right place. You say you are a warrior? Promised Land has not actually fought in many conflicts, but one thing we can do very well. Covert work. You see the proof of this in how stable our society usually seems to be. And if you're a madwoman...well, since the world seems to thrive on conflict between supposedly sane leaders, perhaps we could do with a little insanity." He offered a sly grin upon uttering that last statement.

Anderson stood, walking around his desk and aroound Anthony so he could look Hannah in the eye. "I apologize for making you angry, but I needed to see just how deep your own convictions ran. I can't afford to back someone without the strength of will to follow through."

He put forward his hand in an offer to shake once more. "You have my pledge we will not interfere against your quest for reunification in any way--even if you have to fight New South Wales to reclaim your city."

His lips curled upward as he continued to speak. "And the hypocrisy I referred to was simply that of telling Queensland we would consider the protectorate status. They have shown no true, lasting reform, and need to be toppled."

"No, you came to the right place. You say you are a warrior? Promised Land has not actually fought in many conflicts, but one thing we can do very well. Covert work. You see the proof of this in how stable our society usually seems to be. And if you're a madwoman...well, since the world seems to thrive on conflict between supposedly sane leaders, perhaps we could do with a little insanity."

Hannah smiled as she looked down at the ground and touched her heart, her smile slowly becoming more and more sadistic. "I wasn't always insane Your Excellency, I assure you. But, what I have gone through in the past with the collapse of my country, Sarah's departure, and what was done to me in Eggman. I am not the same person anymore. If the world burns due to my madness than so be it, as I said, a leader that is not willing to die in the defense of his or her nation is not fit to lead. As to the sanity of other leaders, throughout my life I have only seen weak leaders, that offer no real solace to their people, only to fill their own greedy demands. The Hansa desires, I give to it, as the country's eternal servant."

As she talked to Anthony, the Knight watched as Anderson walked around the desk and over to where she stood, the slight sign of apology in his voice "I apologize for making you angry, but I needed to see just how deep your own convictions ran. I can't afford to back someone without the strength of will to follow through."

She nodded. "I understand, but then maybe you know now, not to test my will again. There is no one in the world that desires this as much as I do. No general, officer, hell Sarah doesn't even want it anymore. Another reason why I feel so forlorn, think about how you two would feel if Subtleknifewielder just left you one day, everything collapsing around you. That I know, neither of you understand."

Slowly the man extended his hand again. "You have my pledge we will not interfere against your quest for reunification in any way--even if you have to fight New South Wales to reclaim your city. And the hypocrisy I referred to was simply that of telling Queensland we would consider the protectorate status. They have shown no true, lasting reform, and need to be toppled."

Hannah shook it firmly. "Thank you Your Excellency, that is all I ask and as I said. I am not a murderer, I am as fair as I am cruel, they will be given the opportunity to leave perhaps even settle in territory I give them. Maybe Aginor." The Knight gave into a maniacal laugh. "They after all are the real traitors, leaving the Hansa after our declaration of war on Nordland and the attack on Brisbane. But they will fall in time as well, to the same convictions. But Queensland as it exists now will not be allowed by me." She let go of the leader's hand and put her hood over her head as she turned to Harlem again with her green eyes. "If there is anything else that you'd like to discuss, please, else I will be on my way. I have much to do."

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

"I wasn't always insane Your Excellency, I assure you. But, what I have gone through in the past with the collapse of my country, Sarah's departure, and what was done to me in Eggman. I am not the same person anymore. If the world burns due to my madness than so be it, as I said, a leader that is not willing to die in the defense of his or her nation is not fit to lead. As to the sanity of other leaders, throughout my life I have only seen weak leaders, that offer no real solace to their people, only to fill their own greedy demands. The Hansa desires, I give to it, as the country's eternal servant."

"You understand then, the principles of true leadership. A leader not only leads by example, he or she remembers that in the end, they are nothing more than a servant and guardian to the people." He tilted his head at a slight angle in a habit of curiosity that he had never bothered to break. "But why do you call me 'Your Excellency?'"

When Anderson came around the desk, he backed off a degree to let the Administrator have his say.

"I understand, but then maybe you know now, not to test my will again. There is no one in the world that desires this as much as I do. No general, officer, hell Sarah doesn't even want it anymore. Another reason why I feel so forlorn, think about how you two would feel if Subtleknifewielder just left you one day, everything collapsing around you. That I know, neither of you understand."

The look Anderson adopted was thoughtful. "Yes, admittedly I wouldn't know what to do if Subtleknifewielder just retired like that...but he would be more likely to plan ahead and leave a successor, so I doubt that I ever will completely understand your situation." Anthony had an amused smile on his face, for some reason only he knew. "As for testing your will again," Anderson continued, "why, I wouldn't dream of it." He made an 'x' over his heart. "Cross my heart and hope to die, as the children say."

"Thank you Your Excellency, that is all I ask and as I said. I am not a murderer, I am as fair as I am cruel, they will be given the opportunity to leave perhaps even settle in territory I give them. Maybe Aginor." Despite himself, the laugh that escaped her throat sent a slight shiver down Anderson's spine, though outwardly he was still the calm, collected Administrator most people knew. "They after all are the real traitors, leaving the Hansa after our declaration of war on Nordland and the attack on Brisbane. But they will fall in time as well, to the same convictions. But Queensland as it exists now will not be allowed by me."

"But at least they still stood by you. They didn't turn on you like the Queenslanders did."

Anthony reached back and unlocked the door as she turned back to him.

"If there is anything else that you'd like to discuss, please, else I will be on my way. I have much to do."

Anthony bit his lip in thought. "If you ever want to know where Sarah is now, I'm fairly confident Subtleknifewielder has been keeping tabs on her location, to make sure she's safe."

He stepped aside, allowing her to go through the now-open door if she wished.

"If you ever want to know where Sarah is now, I'm fairly confident Subtleknifewielder has been keeping tabs on her location, to make sure she's safe."

Hannah sighed as she tied the strings of her cloak tightly. "No, not yet at least. When she reveals herself again, that is to her own doing but I am not going to hunt for her. She retired to get away, it would be...wrong of me to pursue her. I am sure that when she finds the Hansa returned, she will come out of hiding at least for a moment, to either condemn or congratulate, then no doubt she will return to her self-imposed exile. As to Her Ladyship being safe, I have no doubt, Sarah was always resourceful and I would expect that she is doing quite well. Though." She looked up at Anthony happily. "Hopefully, I'll be able to meet Subtleknifewielder himself, Sarah used to tell me that you can't truly understand Promised Land until you understand how he thinks, she said that she never was able to....Maybe, I'll succeed where she failed."

The General walked through the door, but before leaving, turned her head back to the two gentlemen, the light shining off of her eyes almost making them appear to glow. "We will be in touch Mr. Anderson, Mr. Harlem, good day." She turned again, her cloak whipping in the air of her steps. Hannah crossed the Capitol building quickly walking back out to the town car. As she passed the center kiosk, Hannah turned toward the secretary. "Mr. Anderson. Tsk-tsk." The girl, frozen in fear for a moment, before the General left the building, disappearing into the night. Walking down the stairs to the car, she looked at the cloudy moon up above and smiled. "Its about that time, its about that time that the world change again."

Stepping into the car she closed the door as the vehicle drove off. "Gladstone, Loew, in the World Protectorate. Though I think I'll call it Apophis, Gladstone for a people in such turmoil, why it makes no sense." As she began to laugh.

"...Hopefully, I'll be able to meet Subtleknifewielder himself, Sarah used to tell me that you can't truly understand Promised Land until you understand how he thinks, she said that she never was able to....Maybe, I'll succeed where she failed."

"She was right, actually," Anderson said quietly.

"I can assure you Subtleknifewielder will be interested in meeting you," Anthony stated, leaving Hannah to wonder how he might possibly know something like that. Perhaps he knew the shadow leader personally?

"We will be in touch Mr. Anderson, Mr. Harlem, good day."

Each of them nodded in turn. Anthony actually raised his hand to give her a small wave goodbye, a mysterious smile adding to the mystery of the man.

The secretary, in the end, would decide that perhaps she had better take a few days off to recover from this experience.

OOC: and so ends the glorious tale of the secretary....

So, now that you are convinced you have an ally in Promised land, and you scared aformentioned Secretary poopless, I'm afraid to ask, what's gonna happen now?

OOC: I don;t think she's going to tell you publicly. If you want ton know, drop her a PM. Now shoo, out of the thread, please... :P