First bloodshed

Lanissa

What really makes a battle a "win" or a "defeat"? When I logged in today after a nice pounding of bombs and missiles I can note my first battle was a rather disastrous defeat for my own troops but in the second I lost maybe half the number of troops and it still counts as a defeat.

Is the win really just determined by the numbers and not so much the casualities? My own attacks failed pretty bad even with a larger troop count. Though my opponent does have about thrice my tech level so I know his military is significantly better.

I am not sure precisely what determines a 'win' vs a 'defeat' although the person who wins always gets to collect the money. It is very possible to 'win' a battle but lose FAR more troops than you have killed, for various reasons. Eventually you will learn to appreciate this small amount of randomness, because (as you will also learn) the CN war system becomes easy to manipulate with experience.

from what i understand, its percentages;

If you lose a greater % of your army than your enemy does his, it counts as a loss. so you can lose 10 and your enemy can lose 100 but if you only have 25 while he has 100, you will lose.

Yes, although at lower levels fighting an enemy with an infra advantage is a bigger one. The tech differences are less severe at low levels in comparison to infrastructure.

True I suppose. He's at around 150 to my 50 or so tech. I managed to get my first win today but not sure if I can beat him since he has the backing of an alliance...

In the long run... you will not win. I would highly suggest that you join an alliance. There is a Forum around here somewhere with threads updated by almost every alliance out there, and that would be a good place to start looking. That or the millions of Private Messages you should have received.

I'm usually biased against joining Alliances when I just get hundreds of PMs asking to join. It kind of annoys me to have my inbox be cluttered up all day with recruitment PMs... Especially when it's just copy/paste.

That is understandable. It seems like an impersonal way to start a relationship. But realistically for every 100 messages an alliance sends out they might get one member if their lucky. Sending individual messages is unfeasible. Once you join an alliance that will all change. Most alliances are warm and fuzzy and you will get more enjoyment out of the game.

-Kugelblitz

What really makes a battle a "win" or a "defeat"? When I logged in today after a nice pounding of bombs and missiles I can note my first battle was a rather disastrous defeat for my own troops but in the second I lost maybe half the number of troops and it still counts as a defeat.

Is the win really just determined by the numbers and not so much the casualities? My own attacks failed pretty bad even with a larger troop count. Though my opponent does have about thrice my tech level so I know his military is significantly better.

The way a defeat/win is determined is based soley on whether or not you gain money from the attack.

Most often, you loot money from someone when you also do infrastructure damage, in addition to stealing tech/land.