A Walk To Remember

Margrave

Ghosts didn't walk through the streets, yet he was certainly feeling like one.

The streets of Brisbane were unfamiliar to Khendon, not having personally traveled to Australia save to Melbourne and Sydney for diplomatic purposes. He'd left a note with one of the Lilian Guards for his cousin De Luit. He was proud, unbearably proud...proud of his cousin, proud of the beautiful and courageous Lady Tintagyl, proud of his people for surviving the black betrayal he and his daughter had committed, her by her evil and him by allowing it. All in all, if ever there was to be a place for the Marchar, it seemed that they had found it in the Hansa, and the greater territory under the gentle leadership of Sarah Tintagyl.

And yet, for the man who had led a nation of searchers, there was no place. The gift of "nationhood", of being a completed person, of love and peace and innocence...all this had been denied him, his sorrow and despair the only companions he'd been allowed on this darkening road. As he walked through the Harmonious City, he felt as though the end of history had come upon him, the end of all he knew or fought for.

And yet, what was a man to do, when his powers had been drained and his heart had been removed? Where could he go that his deep sorrow would not find him?

He would find his answer, or-

Green Eyes...

he turned, looking to find the flash of dagger-eyes that had cut through his reverie.

Every day was a new experience for her.

After living a simple life as a fisher in the middle of nowhere (Siberia), almost any place was fascinating. The warm breezes, the concrete forests, every kind of color, smells, sounds... There was so much to see, smell, hear.

Today she was in Brisbane, the multicultural capital of the world. Perhaps she would see something interesting today.....

Every day was a new experience for her.

After living a simple life as a fisher in the middle of nowhere (Siberia), almost any place was fascinating. The warm breezes, the concrete forests, every kind of color, smells, sounds... There was so much to see, smell, hear.

Today she was in Brisbane, the multicultural capital of the world. Perhaps she would see something interesting today.....

He had to follow her. No, he had to speak with her. It was too impossible; her eyes only lacked the blood-red quality to be...

He couldn't think the name. It was too close to the emptiness in his heart.

He caught up to her quickly, glad that he had shaved and cleansed himself; he resembled a still-young man, though one marked by time and pain. He waited until she was in a less-populated part of the street, and hurried to her side. If she was an enemy, one of the alleys would provide cover...but if she was...associated with her, he owed it to....well, he owed a debt and he would pay. His heart aching in his chest, he came to her side and tapped her lightly on the shoulder. He bowed his head ever-so slightly.

"I apologize for this abrupt interruption of your walk through the city, but who are you?"

She turned around to face the man who called her. There stood someone who barely came up to her eyes, with a somewhat rugged but young face. A look of great anxiety, to a depth she had never seen before, burned within his eyes.

At first she mentally put up her guards, knowing that the world as a whole wasn't the safe place she had lived in her youth. Everywhere one had to make sure that there weren't any potential muggers or kidnappers. Yes, certain places like Nordland were safe, but that was only because of the oppressive and draconian social atmosphere. In a free and open society like the Hanseatic Commonwealth, there was always the possibility of crime (as her uncle told her, characteristically saying "liberty is nothing but an !@#$@#$ excuse to prey upon others"), and she would be ready to defend herself against it.

But in a few moments, she noticed something within the man. It was passion, not the sudden, changeable fancy of a boy, but the wild, fierce passion of a man of strong will and imperious temper. This man had something that he wanted to know from her, to see if it would fill a void within him. This interested her; did this man felt something about her, or is it just a case of mistaken identity? She decided to interact with him, although she slipped her right hand into her pocket, where a miniture telescoping baton was for protection.

"I'm Suiko, a student studying different cultures around the world. how can I help you?"

She turned around to face the man who called her. There stood someone who barely came up to her eyes, with a somewhat rugged but young face. A look of great anxiety, to a depth she had never seen before, burned within his eyes.

At first she mentally put up her guards, knowing that the world as a whole wasn't the safe place she had lived in her youth. Everywhere one had to make sure that there weren't any potential muggers or kidnappers. Yes, certain places like Nordland were safe, but that was only because of the oppressive and draconian social atmosphere. In a free and open society like the Hanseatic Commonwealth, there was always the possibility of crime (as her uncle told her, characteristically saying "liberty is nothing but an !@#$@#$ excuse to prey upon others"), and she would be ready to defend herself against it.

But in a few moments, she noticed something within the man. It was passion, not the sudden, changeable fancy of a boy, but the wild, fierce passion of a man of strong will and imperious temper. This man had something that he wanted to know from her, to see if it would fill a void within him. This interested her; did this man felt something about her, or is it just a case of mistaken identity? She decided to interact with him, although she slipped her right hand into her pocket, where a miniture telescoping baton was for protection.

"I'm Suiko, a student studying different cultures around the world. how can I help you?"

Khendon nodded, trying to figure out his next move. Purely physically, she of course resembled her; but he couldn't simply ask her if she was a daughter of the ancient Imperial Line of the DKT. He nodded again, trying to buy time. If she was not, then he would discover it and be on his way. And what are you going to do if she is? was a question he wished his mind would stop posing. "My name is...Shilon", he said, with great difficulty getting out his true-name. The Marchar did not give their heart's names to strangers, but then, what did he have left? "I am a Marchar, lately come of New Zealand and lately Antarctica. I came here to learn about the prosperity of my people, and how their lives were here in this gentle city. Although I am not well-versed in this country and it's territories, I do know plenty about my culture...if you like, we could go through the city together, and I could tell you about the Marchar people.

Edited by Margrave

'Shilon'

Suiko pronounced the strange name in her mind several times. The way it softly flowed was delightful, seemingly tickling her tongue. She wondered what the name meant.

The offer of telling her about the Marchar was a proposal that she couldn't resist. Although not connected by blood, the Kyokujitsujins were close with them, through a special connection made by the Sumeragi of Kyokujitsu Teikoku and their leader back then. The inclination towards honor and tradition, something rare in this modern world, fascinated her, and to learn about them was why she had come to Hansa in the first place. This person should be able to teach her more about them. Besides, he didn't see to be a potential danger.

"Okay. I was just going to the Marchar Cultural Center, so you probably can get me ready for whatever I learn there. Come on, let's go!"

Akeiko stood over a war-weakened man, his body giving out from disease. She had first come to him then, an angel of authority, his ally and comrade, along with his brother-in-arms, Kaiser Martens. They had discussed the terrible days of yore and what may occur in the future, never quite reaching a conclusion to the matter. It had been unneeded; Khendon's "self" had been reasserted, and his health quickly restored itself, leaving the point moot...until the country fell.

He remembered how serious her face was then....nothing like Auckland. Auckland was all smiles and whispers and a closeness Khendon hadn't dreamed of since the death of his wife years ago...she had put herself into the place in his heart he had not furnished in ages, and it had become a lovely home, a place to dream of her.

He had not seen here in the Land of Snow. He had failed to find her, and then....aching, weak, furious, he had returned home. He suffered still with the cowardice of this decision...which made the familiar way in which she spoke all the worse. It was a lower, more lucious tone than the still, firm voice of the Mother Of The Nation; it had a character that bespoke a better connection to humanity, to matters of the heart; something he had labored in vain to teach Akeiko. It was a flowing river, where hers had been a slow moving stream in winter....yet all the same it cracked open the red wounds in his being, still so fresh in his mind. What showed in his face right now only God and Suiko knew.

He shook this off. "Well, there really isn't one here; the Marchar aren't the type to build such things. Perhaps the Hansans built one, but they don't always get us right, or so I have been told. You know, it's a strange connection we have to the Hansa....my kinsmen here have made a good life for themselves, no doubt about it. But long before that...I...I should say, the Marchar people, took in a refugee race, a people who also had been oppressed and exiled from their homeland...the children of the DKT. I can honestly tell you that the link between the two rulers was an intensely personal one...and one that cost him, and his nation, greatly. But even in the worst of times, even as Camberlain fell, the Margrave Khendon never, ever, abandoned his kinship to the people who came to be called the Fuyo-Clann. Even after he vanished, his stewards, the people who took his place, have continued to safeguard and befriend the Fuyo-clann wherever they go. They married together their honor, having found in each other a mirror to each others souls; warriors from all walks trained together, their wives met and befriended one another, their children learned at the same temples and churches, the same schools...it was as though the two races had wed. It continues to this day; you will never see a Marchar strike a Fuyo-clann except in training, and the Fuyo-clann have promised to host a wandering Marchar whenever he comes into their lands. Even as the Fuyo disperse back into the diaspora of the descendants of Nippon and Asia, they still hold us in the highest asteem...and we do them. We are a family; and that is that."

Even as she was listening to the tale of how the Marchar and the Fuyo-clann came together as a family, she couldn't keep her eyes off his face. Pain, red, burning pain. Pain that would melt everything in its path. Pain that could never heal.

Suiko wasn't used to such things, yet somehow, for some reason, she could feel what Shilon was feeling. What was this connection? Could there be something about this person that she should know?

"Shilon, is something wrong? You seem to be pained about something......"

"I'll be fine, Suiko. One thing you'll learn of the Marchar is that we are a philosophic people; when we suffer, we suffer, and when it passes, we smile and continue on. Everyone bears a burden; why should I carry a light load?"

He turned about and noticed it was looking like rain. "We need to get away from this...there's a noodle shop down the next block, would you like to sit it out there?"

He offered her the large coat he was wearing for cover. "Please, take this while we go, as I believe we won't make it in-"

!CRACK!

The sound of a striking lightning bolt interrupted him. He chuckled to himself as the rain began to fall, an unexpected torrent in this season. "Okay, we really don't have time, let's run!" He offered his hand and pointed to the noodle shop whose paper-lanterns glowed in the distance.

What Shilon should have know was that Suiko didn't need much help. Gracefully as a doe, she ran beside Shilon, as the warm light from the shop spread its glow. As they both entered, she shook her head, the raindrops spreading out like pearls. Grinning brightly, she sat down at the counter and beckoned Shilon.

Khendon was many things, but ungainly was not one of them. He burst into a run, moving like a bull on the charge, then skidded to the chair at the noodle-bar, stopping almost instantly. Sitting down, he laughed at how wet they both were. "Aren't we a fine mess? I think it's time for a nice cup of noodles and some sake to warm the stomach."

He ordered a small bottle and two cups from the bar-owner, and two bowls of ramen. "So...Tell me about yourself, Suiko. It's not every day one meets someone of the old DKT blood who doesn't know much about the Fuyo or the Marchar."

"Well, the the funny thing is, it's been only a few months since I got to know that I was a Kyokujitsujin."

The ramen arrived. Suiko broke apart the wooden chopsticks and began slurping the noodles in one smooth motion.

"I grew up as a Buryat in Vaule, across the Baikal from the rebellious province. For some reason, my "aunt" never told me that I came from Kyokujitsu. It was only recently that my uncle found me and explained my heritage."

She drank the soup in one shot, having finished the noodles.

"I've had a crash course in being a Kyokujitsijin, and now I can fairly pass as one. Still, no one really told me how I got to Siberia in the first place. Not sure why, but it seems to be a secret that needs to be kept. That's partly why I'm traveling. Besides building up my understanding of different cultures, I want to find out who i really am. The only clue I have is this katana that is supposed to be my birth gift."

Taking out a photo from her pocket, she showed it to Shilon. It was of a fine article, made by a master artisan. Every bit of the surface reflected the loving care put into it. On the handle was kanji:

秋月宮翠子 (Shugetsu-no-miya Suiko)

"I still haven't figured out what the kanji in front of my name means, but it's probably the key to knowing who I am."

A loud growl could be heard. Still feeling hungry, Suiko ordered another bowl.

"But enough about me. I have something to ask you, since you seem to know a lot about the Marchar. What's the relationship between the Ryumu Sumeragi and Margrave Khendon? I've been reading a lot about the Margrave lately, and couldn't help but notice that there seems to be something between the two. I mean, it's funny enough that they made the covenant almost immediately in the first place, but when you include the Chamberlain crisis surrounding whether the Sumeragi was in New Zealand there has got to be a close bond.

It's probably just my fantasy, but I thing that they were lovers, or at least one of them loved the other. Of course, it could be that they didn't think of each other any more than siblings, but still.... it would be romantic if there were some deep feelings involved. What do you think?"

秋月宮翠子 (Shugetsu-no-miya Suiko)

Khendon's heart restricted in his chest; there was no way a man who'd lived and loved with the people of the Kyokujitsu wouldn't recognize those words.

Her Imperial Highness of the House of Shugetsu....

the light swam for him for half a second, slowly restating reality. It was only years of training that made him keep from showing it on his face. Akeiko...you said you were kidding that day...but is this really her? Is it really the Emerald?

He heard her question and felt the hot knife of memories pierce his mind. "It started with admiration, true to tell. He saw a beautiful woman wielding ultimate power and felt the first pangs of attraction...and the art of her personality, the beauty of her mind, well...it thrilled him...but ulitmately they shared a link. They...were souls who didn't know where to go. He loved her like the untouchable fire she was; some say he survived the fall of Camberlain just to seek her out. If he found her, no one has discovered it...but I can tell you honestly that there was no fiercer or deeper love than what the Margrave had for the Mother Of The Nation...unless you count the personal love the man Khendon had for the woman Akeiko. "

Looks like I'll be keeping an eye on you, Emerald. I could not protect the elder, but I will die before I let another of the sacred bloodline fall to the darkness.

Some eight bowls of ramen and bottles bottles of sake later, Suiko comes out of the bar, half-carrying a drunken Shilon along. Have high tolerance to just about anything when it comes to eating, she drank her new friend to complete knockout. It was a good thing she managed to get the address of where he was staying before he passed out. As she hailed a taxi, she looked at the somewhat depressed face of Shilon. This guy probably had something more to him than he was letting on, similar to herself.

"I think I'll stay around longer. This guy might be something interesting in the long run....."

OOC: Like onee-chan, like imouto :awesome: