League of United Armenians

sigmund

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soujoukh: a dry Armenian sausage that packs a lot of heat . . . it is generally eaten in 1 of 3 ways (a) grilled and scrambled with eggs for a spicy/tasty breakfast dish [think chorizo & eggs' evil spicy twin] (B) grilled as an appetizer [great with arak-ouzo-Pernod-or vodka] and © grilled in a sandwich on French bread and toasted on a sandwich grill . soujouk is almost alway eaten hot

Basturma: a very spicy Armenian prosciutto . . . as Yelper George N. (the first to review) called it "prosciutto's foul-mouthed, harlot cousin" . . . it has a layer of Aleppo pepper caked around it [can be eaten or just scraped off) . . . It is eaten in 1 of 3 ways . . . (a) hot or cold as an appetizer with Pita or French bread [also good with arak or vodka] . . . or alone . . . (B) sliced or chopped and scrambled with eggs, much like soujouhk © hot in a sandwich with French bread toasted on a sandwich grill.

Personally, I am an addict of basturma and eat it cold with no accompaniment . . . or I order a half-pound to go and scramble it up with eggs and wrap up in warm Pita bread. When I get the basturma sandwich here, I ask them to make it plain on Pita bread and they always seem disappointed ('cause they make a specialty sandwich with hot basturma, tomatoes, pickles, on toasted French bread). Try it, its not bad, but honestly, if you grew up eating and enjoying it one way, its tough to change . . . that and I don't want anything to detract from the flavor.

*both soujoukh and basturma are acquired tastes, but once you acquire, it stays with you (as does its effect on your body . . . umm, the spiciness and pungent nature of it stays with you for the rest of the day)

must try once . . . you might get hooked istockphoto_2493883_basturma.jpg

Soujoukh: a dry Armenian sausage that packs a lot of heat . . . it is generally eaten in 1 of 3 ways (a) ...

Basturma: a very spicy Armenian prosciutto . . . as Yelper George N. (the first to review) called it "prosciutto's foul-mouthed, harlot cousin" . . . it has a layer of Aleppo pepper caked around it [can be eaten or just scraped off) . . . It is eaten in 1 of 3 ways . . .

You forgot the fourth way of eating it. In the New York Pizza in Yerevan, they serve it on a pizza called "Pizza Armenia" :D