League of United Armenians

sigmund

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Armenian Sweet Bread

179793269_ce522e83ff.jpg

"Fressshhh breaaadddd." These are the Homer Simpson-type thoughts that run through my head when I smell fresh bread baking in the oven. Can there be a smell any more heavenly? Yesterday I experimented with a new bread, Armenian sweet bread. I was drawn to the recipe because of its use of mahlep, or ground cherry pits utilized as a spice. I'd never used this ingredient before and was anxious to give it a try.

As a "little pinch of this, little pinch of that" type person with a great disdain for a scientific approach to food preparation (or anything, really), baking presents special challenges as it's so much more a regimented endeavor than other types of cooking. Exact measurements and great attention to detail become necessary, which is a difficult process for somebody who enjoys varying and experimenting according to taste and mood. Such a scientific approach to food gives me a headache. Bread and pastry chefs surely must be left-brained people.

But yesterday I decided to show some discipline and attempt this recipe just as it was written. I'm so glad I did. This bread was absolutely delicious with its faintly perfumed notes of cherry, orange, and honey. Actually, it was one of the most interesting breads I've tasted and I'll certainly be making this again and again.

179799742_68c43fb7e0.jpg

1. First I placed 1/4 cup of warm water into a bowl with 1 tsp dry active yeast. This was allowed to sit for 15 mins undisturbed.

2. To this bowl, I then added 3 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground mahlep, and 1/2 cup warm soy milk. As the mixer began to combine mixture (with the bread paddle), I additionally added 2 egg whites, 3 tsp butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp honey, and the zest of one orange. I allowed this to mix between 5-10 minutes.

3. Next I removed the dough and placed into a greased bowl, turning it over to evenly coat the surface. After placing a damp towel over the bowl, I allowed the bread to rise for a few hours. (The original recipe suggests 3 to 24 hours.)

4. After the dough had doubled in size, I punched down the dough and kneaded in 1 cup of raisins. I then cut the dough into three pieces, created three long rolls, and braided the dough into a single loaf. (Use a little flour to more easily handle each roll.) Covering the bread again with a damp towel, I allowed the bread to rise again for one hour.

5. Before placing the loaf into the oven at 375F (340F for convection oven), I coated the surface with an egg-yolk and mixture. Mix 1 yolk with 2 tsp water and whip with a fork until frothy. Then surface was then coated using a pastry brush. After coating, I also added a some poppy seeds to the surface. For non-convection, the baking time is 40-50 mins. For convection ovens, my baking time was around 32 mins. :awesome: