North and South

Tahsir

A letter was delievered to the Procinctian representative, Kiska Atka. The return address was listed as a hotel in in Hansa where the prime minister of Dranagg, Edward Re and his Fiancee were staying before they left back for their home. The letter was short, but to the point.

::letter::

To Kiska Atka of Procinctia,

Heard about radio station 103.9. Might be interested in helping. Stop by soon if interested.

Prime Minister of Dranagg,

Edward Re

Having arrived at Helsinki’s Diet Palace just in time to miss the La Rejouissance, Procinctia’s representative Kiska Atka had no reason to leave the city in any sort of hurry. An international conference was the sort of thing to one’s mind off being snubbed out of an international event. Until she found herself denied clearance for presence at the Andonian conference, waiting in a reception room to present Procinctia’s position to anyone willing to listen. Considering she wasn’t in the conference room it was probably going to be some low-level diplomatic functionary, probably an intern, whose primary role will be to smile and nod.

The woe of a representative who is not relevant.

This had to be one of the worst days in Kiska Atka’s life. Not traumatizing like when Motoko killed Republic of War’s representative in front of her at the Imperial Benefit Ball, or nerve racking like the Dark Hand attack on the Imperial Palace Ball, or tragic like the burning of Saint Paul City, or even uncomfortably unpleasant like the time Generalissimo tried to set her up with Don Brando without her consent. In retrospect it may have not been one the worst days in Kiska Atka’s life, but definitely one of the most tedious. Well over 24 hours waiting a reception room in Helsinki’s Diet Palace without attendance or food was not Kiska’s idea of fun, or solid international diplomacy.

Kiska was considering filling some sort of formal diplomatic complaint when a courier arrived with a letter. Realizing a meeting with the Prime Minister of Dranagg would probably be more productive than sitting around waiting for attendance to present a position on an issue that had already been resolved, Kiska set out to address of the hotel.

Edited by Generalissimo

The two room suite was divided to have a main living space and a seperate bed and bath area. Edward was sitting in the main room reading the newspapers, and watching a news station, in his hotel room's den. International news was always welcome, and he would probably be bringing home the stack of newspapers he had collected in his visits to europe. The news channel was mearly on for background noise since he couldn't understand a word it said. The only reason he understood the newspapers is the handy language books his adjudent had thought to leave with him. Even though the man was probably twice his age...

The sound coming from the bedroom was of a shower running. It wasn't that hot showers were rare in Dranagg, but the fact you didn't have to wait for the water to thaw before taking one was a novelty. He sometimes thought he could hear her mumbling, angry, about something, but never could hear exactly what. She didn't talk about anything wrong to him, and he didn't think to ask directly about it. At least not directly to Catherine.

It was about that time the phone rang. He started at it for a moment as if thinking about something, and then answers. "Hello, Yes"? It is the front desk. Apparently the letter he sent was accepted. "Thank you, please send her up".

He took a piece of fruit from the basket that he had ordered from room service, fruit was a rarity in Dranagg, and thought about what he was going to say. He didn't know exactly what he was going to do. He had gotten the telegram about the radio station reports, and had found out about the woman representing Procinctia at the Ball. When he asked about if there might be anything done with them the Foreign Ministry had only responded "You're our only diplomat there right now".

"Catherine dear, don't be to long. We're having a visitor soon."

Kiska is quickly ushered into the Prime Ministers temporary residence, too fast to get any real sense of her surroundings, right about the time realization dawns she is lacking any sort of preparation, or objective.

Oh, well. *sigh* Improvised diplomacy is the best diplomacy… right? Good thing she didn’t have time get nervous or second guess her decision.

Edited by Generalissimo

It was Catherine who had answered the door. She was quite tall, 177 cm, and wearing just a very long silk robe tied tightly at the waist. Her left hand hidden from view in a pocket. The moment she laid eyes on Kiska her expression flashed quickly to disgust, but almost immediately reverted back to a calm and controlled appearance. "Hello, you must be the representative from Procinctia. Come in". She lets the woman into the room and closes the door. Again that slight glare of disgust passes, but she turns her face away toward Edward sitting at the small desk by the television, the news show had been left on with reduced volume. "Edward, our guest is here. I'll be...watching the television in the bedroom", and then promptly walks stiffly into the next room and closes the door.

Edward had risen as Catherine had left. He was dressed in what looked like his ball attire sans the suit coat and tie. "Welcome! Please sit down, help yourself to some of the fruit", waving toward the basket on the desk, "I understand there have been some dire broadcasts coming from Procinctia."

Kiska brushed one off the arms of her suit quickly regaining composure.

“It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and that of your wife. I represent the Bering nation of Procinctia or rather what is left of Procinctia. I was Procinctia’s former Minister of Foreign Affairs when Procinctia was fortunate enough to have a Foreign Office, with occasional additional duties. As for the 'dire' broadcasts, that’s just Generalissimo broadcasting from the surface. The rest of the remaining Procinctian population resides safely in bunkers.”

"Ah, we have some, er, experience with bunker bound people. However the broadcasts we've been getting from Generalissimo are quite bleak. Well, except for this cooking one..", Edward is looking through a small stack of radio reports, and had stopped on the Seagull cooking one. What exactly happened that only Generalissimo is on the surface still?"

"Generalissimo has been on the surface after the before war ended, he never made it to the bunkers, I can’t exactly say why. It alternates between claims be on some sort of extended surface scouting mission, fighting the good fight, and not leaving until the surface is safe for all Procinctians."

Edited by Generalissimo

"Generalissimo has been on the surface after the before war ended, he never made it to the bunkers, I can’t exactly say why. It alternates between claims be on some sort of extended surface scouting mission, fighting the good fight, and not leaving until the surface is safe for all Procinctians."

"Well then, perhaps we can help him? I'm sure he wouldn't mind something other than seaguls and pills.."

“He claims to be fine, as our leader we’re not going to argue with him. Generalissimo also maintains the only reliable line of communication out of the country, and Procinctia’s only current digital entertainment venue. I’ve heard PBC is extremely popular in the bunkers, but I can’t be sure, I don’t exactly live in the bunkers myself.”

Edited by Generalissimo

Edward laughed a little "Oh yes, I hear those tropical hideouts are the worst. We'll Madam Kiska, I want to help your nation, but I need to know what you think you'd need help with. As my Uncle is the one who appointed me to Prime Minister I have the power to authorize almost any kind of aid. However, I need to know, is there anything Procinctia needs? You've already assured me that the, interesting, Generalissimo is safe, but what about the people in the bunkers?".

Kiska has never been the best liar, her usual diplomacy consisting of charming honesty.

"Errr... the people in the bunkers are fine great, never been better."

Finally breaking under the Minister’s scrutinizing gaze.

"They live in bunkers because they are scared. They live in bunkers because they have now where else to go. They live in bunkers because they have nothing else."

Edited by Generalissimo

"Hmm, that is a real situation. Generalissimo is trying to keep up their spirits with these radio broadcasts I assume then?" Edward again pauses, but thinking this time not eating. "We have the radio transmission Generalissimo sent about the dangers of the surface of the island, but I think we can help the people in the bunkers at least live a little easier. Or at least give them things to take their mind off of the fear and the fact they are buried."

"Morale can’t be high right now, but it’s not all entirely bleak for Procinctia. We have space, the bunkers are currently less than a third full. We have even have supply, if you can believe it.

Generalissmo is right that there is no surface access, however, one of the bunkers is connected to an underground sub pen. The following information is confidential, but we have an old Russany stealth Typhoon nuclear submarine converted to bulk transport, so re-supply hasn’t been an issue."

Edited by Generalissimo

Seeing Kiska at a loss Edward continues. "People need the sun. Mentally and Physically need it. I'm sure in a nation so far North Procinctia has seen a day or two without the sun. In Dranagg it is a little more..problematic. We have resources, food, entertainment, and security in the knowledge that no one is foolish enough to attempt anything major that time of year. However without the sun people start to...break down. They become very unhealthy, depressed, and even suffer from mental breakdowns. Some of our, extreme, cases have become rather threatening and dangerous to others..." Edward clears his throat " What I mean Madam Kiska, is that with out the sun the bunkers are going to become not just unbearable, but deadly. We might be able to help with that."

Kiska was being lectured by a sixteen year old, what kind of country allows child to become Prime Minister? The worst part of it all is that this sixteen year old was absolutely correct in his assessment of Procinctia’s current situation. Edward's analysis was so similar to Kiska’s it was unnerving.

“Current estimates put the sustainability of Procinctia’s bunker system for an additional five years without external assistance, minimum survivability for an additional decade.”

Edited by Generalissimo

"And in that five years most of the population might go insane from the lack of sunlight."

"I think Dranagg can help prevent this though. We can provide Full-spectrum lights. They mimick the sun better than standard lightbulbs or the even worse fluorescent tubes. As well as the use of a medium sized cold weather fishing trawler that you can have your people collect a source of sea food to keep them healthy, and even rotate some out into the fresh air. Would something like this be helpful?"

"Just the rememberance of a favor for the future. I assure you it would not be anything inconsiderate and extreme. I can give you time to think about it if you'd like. I'm sure the hotel can arrange a room on short notice if you need one to sleep on the decision."

Edited by Tahsir Re

Anything too good to be true always is, but there was no harm continuing the discourse. At the very least Procinctia might gain an open a line of communication or trade, even if it bleed them dry it was a far superior alternative to…

“I am currently authorized to make any final decision in any matter of Procinctian foreign affais, and I have made the decision. Getting to Saint Paul Island isn’t easy this time of year, if ever. Does you have access to a submarine? Preferably a cargo, merchant, or transport class.”

Edited by Generalissimo

Anything too good to be true always is, but there was no harm continuing the discourse. At the very least Procinctia might gain an open a line of communication or trade, even if it bleed them dry it was a far superior alternative to…

“I am currently authorized to make any final decision in any matter of Procinctian foreign affais, and I have made the decision. Getting to Saint Paul Island isn’t easy this time of year, if ever. Does you have access to a submarine? Preferably a cargo, merchant, or transport class.”

"No I must say we havn't had much need to develop submarines, however you have mentioned that you have a submarine in service for transport. We can load it on the ocean from our ship, and leave you the fishing trawler to your nation's use. More than likely we can have the trawler's cargo be the Full Spectrum lights, and the moment your submarine has finished with getting them to your bunkers we can leave you the trawler for your nation's use. As for any issue with getting to your nation due to ice, all our fishing trawlers are designed as ice breakers. Winters at the Dranagg habour are just as ice covered as the Alaskan island chains. "