"It is a sad day in the world,

when apartheid exists."-Lionel Bata

White, Black, Coloured, Indian. Our people are living under a dying apartheid regime. Although a minority, the whites of the République had quickly gained power following the independence from their colonial powers, the effects of their rule still present, even though waning. The people had been moved away from Kinshasa and away from the ocean into inferior townships located in the obscurity known as the cradle of humanity, or the Congo Rainforest. Growing up on dirt floors and reeded beds, Lionel Bata was a child under Apartheid. Before leaving his home in Buloyu, he needed to show his card and be tagged by the police fédérale. If he didn't reach his destination in the alotted time, he'd be arrested. President Kabila, although leader of the RDC, was a puppet of the fête nationale, who aimed to appease their lessers by putting false power in a 'Black.'

170px-Joseph_kabila.jpg

Growing up Lionel was privileged to attend school, he would have to walk three hours in the hot African sun, through a rival ethnic group' territory, to reach the boat which would carry him to the school. A school which had been segregated, the blacks, coloured, and indian taughtin the back, while the white children would be taught in the air conditioned schoolhouse. Regardless of his predicament Lionel Bata went to school every day for sixteen years. Graduating top of his class.. and top of the white class as well. When his success turned to fruit Lionel Bata was offered a scholarship to University, where he studied Political science and majored in law. Captain of the debate team and first student in the RDC, Lionel was on his way to change the world.

220px-DRC_classroom.jpg

His dreams would be cut short, when the Fête nationale would hire a hitman to kill him. In the middle of live debate on Television Channel 1, Lionel was shot by Christian DuBois. Sparking national outrage. With no official reports from Hôpital Kinshasa on Lionel Bata, the entire country is in wait on this prodigial student.

To: Exarch of Africa
Subject: Lionel, Student of the République Démocratique Du Congo

To whom this concerns,

You may be aware of this Apartheid regime in the RDC, and of the riots. But our son was shot by an assasin of what we can only guess would be Fête Nationale. We are asking for Athens to put pressure against this Fête Nationale. You see here since  we can remember we have been treated with racism and recieved ill treatment by the Assemblée nationale, who have passed laws that

segregated the blacks, the coloured, and the indian. It has stripped us of personal rights, it has put us lower than man is meant. We ask for your support, if you are to pressure them, perhaps we will then be afforded the oppurtunity of White Congolese.

Sincerely,

H. Bata

In a dirty hospital room, he laid alone, the dull ache of a removed bullet throbbing in his chest. A centimetre left and he'd be dead the doctor said. This was a work of God the doctor said. You're walking with Angels the doctor said. But when the doctor had left, and it was just him in the hospital bed, with shoddy rays of light christening the medical instruments, Lionel had confirmed himself. This near death experience wouldn't go to waste, if racism were to this point in the République where a black man can be beaten for not stepping off a sidewalk for the white. Where a coloured boy could be hung for no reason but being coloured, where a indian mother can be raped and then arrested for prostitution. Something had to change, and it'd start with him.

Weeks passed as his infirm body laid in the bed. Coughing in the 3rd world air he pondered, What will I do when I'm outside of these walls. Who will I become. As months then did pass, Lionel stood. With lumbering steps he did walk out of hôpital Kinshasa. The sun peeling through his eyelids and burning his eyes. The warmth on his skin was unknowable and yet he'd known this warmth. The first step was hard, his legs unsure and unsteady, with a planting foot he settled it on the cement sidewalk. The second came as the first, as did the third. A glow spread through his chest, like a returned lion to his pride. As he looked out to city, before him stood one hundred people. Men who believed in him, children who'd heard of him, brothers he'd schooled with, and even a white woman, Eve, from University. Words and emotions flooded his mind, as he searched for the right ones. He leaned onto his cane as he spoke outloud in front of the crowd, in front of Television channel 1 and in front of the République.

"I.. I will abolish the fête nationale, their laws, and their crimes against Humanity. God Bless our country, and may the angels ever walk in our favour. For I now know.. that it is not colour which defines the value of a man. It is their moral code, how they treat their brothers. It is their devotion to what is right, and I will show the world my devotion."

Edited by High Emperor Aggron

"I believe my brothers are all men under one God." - Lionel Bata

When the Civil rights movement in the République Démocratique Du Congo started the white rulers of the République were outraged. Blacks, coloureds and Indians from all around the countryside marched in Kinshasa, sat in white only restaurants, and boycotted pro-apartheid companies. Leading the protests from the front was the man for which all the country wept, following the assassination attempt. There stood Lionel Bata, undefeated and standing for his people. Not blacks, not whites, not coloureds nor Indians. He stood and protested for man, for segregation bars one mans body but jails another mans soul.

foralltheworld_1.jpg

The African sun did not offer any respite as it bore down on the protesters in the street that stretched miles back. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he tapped the microphone twice before speaking into it, the words carried back to all the ears far away, filling them with his honest intent. The fête nationale guards were standing around the stage barring him from entry, but his near death experience did not mean to let him stop because he couldn't step onto a stage. He smiled kindly and walked around to the front of the stage jumping onto it and shooting a sly grin at the guards as he spoke to the crowds.

" I am Lionel Bata.." What do I say.. "Apartheid is a dying monster in a world where day is breaking and man will stand as one people." The wind picked up and leaves rustled past his eyes. Ha.. They have a beauty about them.. He thought for a second, before regaining his thoughts and speaking.  "A regime.. is dying.. people.. the people, both white and black and coloured and indian are going to be one. To be separated, and demeaned based on color, or status, or how much money you make, or what language you speak is wrong.. and  I.. I'm going to change that."

"I will protest in the city Kinshasa, and I will protest in the streets, and on the plains, and on the river banks. I will protest for what is right, what is good and what is true, I will protest. When this regime dies I will fight, I will bring freedom to our family. I will destroy the townships for their bad memory, and I will build a new house for every man woman and child in my family. I will build a school in every town and village so that our children do not need worry about straying from the path. I will rid our country of the rebel movements, and I will build Universities that will be for any man or woman that wishes to learn. I will make our family whole, this I promise you on my scarred heart."

The crowd roared at this shouting out 'family' in their native languages, together the chourus rose above the winds and stood high on its power. There exists in man an undying urge to be justified, and in his heart Lionel became justified when he heard them saying it. He took a step from the podium and smiled, blinking into the sun's serene warmth. As his heart brought his eyes down, he saw his family. Not one of blood, but one of millions of men and women joined in unity, and it was a beautiful sight indeed.

They sang, and they cheered him, and they praised him. A man they could rally behind. A brother they could call leader. A friend of honest judgement, a bright young boy who devoted his life from then on to uniting the world as the family it should be. Such was the character of a man.

"All my family knows me, and I them."- Lionel Bata

Desmond-Tutu-and-wife-Lea-001.jpg

First Multi-Party Voting to be held in Novemeber 20th.

The fête nationale, losing support quickly due to stress from an international community, and moreso from the very people who once rallied behind them, issued their death sentence earlier today. On November 20th, any candidates from anywhere in the country, if born Congolese may run for the Presidency, for the National Assembly, for the Supreme Court, and for any local government positions.

Lionel Bata was hosting a discussion between multiple ethnic groups when we was quoted to break down in tears at hearing this. Comforted by his family around his he again strained his resolve to run for government and to right the wrongs that were written into law by the fête nationale. He put in his bid for National Assembly, and began campaigning the same day, notably going to the first 30% of Congolese who are known for not turning out and voting, praying they'd vote even if not for him but regardless to vote.

This would be the start of freedom in the République, and the world would then see how a family united and defeated their demons.