News from Romania

Zacharias

Democratic State of Romania

romania.png

It was five days ago today when Romania became an independent state. Since that day, not much has been heard from the new state. Even the citizens of the DSR have been kept in the dark of what it's interim President has been doing. The citizens have started to become restless. They want to know what's going on, and rightfully so. They want to see progress, change for the better, and at this point, as far as they know, there has been none. This news has reached Viorel Stanislav, the interim President. Fearing the possibility of protests, riots, or worse, he schedules a press conference later in the day. The conference is scheduled to take place in a gymnasium, within the capital of Bucharest. 

Viorel Stanislav is scheduled to take to the podium in less than five minutes. Reporters from the largest news networks in the nation, down to the smallest town's newspaper, have crowded near the stage. Citizens from all around the capital, and it's surrounding areas, have also filed into the already packed gym, hoping to hear some words from the President.

President Stanislav walks across the stage to the podium. The gymnasium becomes a near dead-silence. The President looks slightly nervous, but at the same time proud, and excited. He clears his throat, and begins his speech.

"My fellow Romanians. First and foremost, I would like to apologize. When I was appointed Interim President, despite my position not being permanent, I took an oath to serve you all equally, fairly, and honestly. Truthfully, I have not been honest with you, I have not told you anything of what myself, and others, have been doing for our nation. I have an excuse for my dishonesty, however. The past five days has been very hectic, emotionally draining, and stressful, but at the same time exciting, happy, and pleasant. Myself, along with community leaders, military commanders, union leaders, and several others have been debating, creating, and "cementing" the foundation of our nation. We have gotten quite a bit accomplished in our few days together. I am here, today, to tell you what we have accomplished thus far.

"As our name states, we are a Democracy. Everyone, from the poorest person to the richest, deserves a voice in our country. No one is excluded, despite ethnicity, wealth prominence, etc. However, to be as efficient as democratically possible, we are what is considered an "Indirect Democracy", which means, you, the people of this great nation, elect people from your peers to voice your interests in government. In total, the amount of representatives up the people will be 200 men or women of any ethnic or religious background. Their administrative building will be in this city, Bucharest. The building which will house them has not been specified yet. Each representative is granted two year terms, with not term limit. To be eligible to be a Representative, the person must be atleast twenty years of age. No amount of education or wealth is required. At this point, for a "Bill" to pass, a 50% majority vote is required. As for an amendment, 75%.

"The President is chosen directly by the people. To be eligible, one most be atleast thirty years of age. The President is granted a five year term, with four possible terms. Again, no amount of education or wealth is required. The President has the right to appoint "advisers" to help him make decisions. These people can be from all walks of life; not being involved in politics does not mean you cannot be appointed to an adviser. If you happen to be chosen as an adviser, you have the right to refuse.

"We, as a nation, allow "Political Parties", and there is no limit on the amount of political parties there can be, and the government has no right to say which political parties are accepted and which ones cannot exist. The government cannot fund any political party. There is also no requirement to join a political party to be involved in politics.

"We aren't an autocratic government. We allow all basic human freedoms [Speech, religion, assembly, etc.]. The government has no right to take any freedoms away from it's citizens, unless you, the people of Romania, approve such measures.

"Now, as you have just heard, the foundations of our government has been cemented. Although there is still much to discuss, we cannot put off not having a permanent government institution in place. We cannot focus on a single issue anymore. Issues, such as literacy, healthcare, proper housing, and several others have become apparent Therefore, I have scheduled elections to be taken place on Friday of this week. Yes, I apologize for the short notice. However, I would like to see change as much as you do, especially for the better. There is no way for change to happen quickly for us if I continually make all of the decisions.

"For now, I must leave you with the information I have given you. I wish I could give you more, but this is all I have. For now, I bid you farewell, and I look forward to serve you again, as the permanent President of Romania. Thank you all for attending, and have a great night."