Sheltering you from the rains of hard living

Zoot Zoot

"How long have I got left Doctor?" said Alice as she lowered herself into a chair by her fire.

The flames dances across her eyes as they settled on the man in the white jacket seated across from her. She had aged a lot since the Empire. A life of hardship and running, bad climates and war had taken its toll and now the ferryman wanted his payment.

The once tall, slim, athletic woman was nothing more than something close to a frail old spinster, old before her time. Grey dominated her once auburn hair and her eyes were dimmed behind her glasses. Years of fighting had worn her joints and now she carried a well used walking stick instead of a firearm or a combat knife. Her body was worn out but her mind was not, and that was the problem.

"You have six months give or take a further six months depending on how we go about this. Aggressive treatment will buy you up to a year and if we can shrink the cancer enough, we may be able to operate and buy you a few more years on top of that with more treatment, but as it stands? This brain tumor will have you pushing daisy's before the New Year" came the response.

Eddie had been Alice's personal physician for decades now and the two had a close friendship, the pain in his eyes was too much to bear for Alice as she looked away from him and into the flames again.

"Out of the frying pan and into the fire it would seem" she muttered to nobody in particular before turning to him again. "You have my fathers old documents and data don't you?" she asked, something of her old authority flared up and reminded Edd how strong this woman was.

"Yes of course I do Alice, I even have the laboratory set up. The question is, do you still have your eggs frozen?" came the doctors voice, now tinged with unease.

"I do Edward, I do, I had them taken to the lab this morning, I also acquired the other half of this equation from our stores. I need an heir Edward and I am too old to produce one. So make me an heir like my father made me. You know what needs to be done to recreate my sisters genetic perfection and you have enough of my own genetic material to see that she doesn't share the same flaws Ashley had as well." Alice finished as she pulled out a smoke.

"You know Alice, smoking damages your hea..." Edd began but was cut off.

"Edward please. I already have Cancer, now please leave me. I want work on my daughter to begin as soon as possible."

The laboratory on Bornholm followed the same principle as all Umbrella facilities of the past. Mainly underground, the facility had one entrance/exit to ensure security was maintained, and true to this reincarnated Umbrella Corporation, what happened within the vaults were what it said on the tin. Medical research, vaccination development for dangerous and tropical diseases and in the deepest confines, the vault labs in which Edward and his team was creating Alice her daughter.

Genetic alteration is a highly complicated and dangerous matter, for both scientist and life-to-be. Needless to say, complication arose and Alice was requested to visit the labs to see for herself.

"Edd, I am an old woman, tell me why I have to be here? Surely a voice mail would of been fine?" she asked irritably, glancing around at the room of white coats and excited faces.

"Alice, we have had a problem." began Edd, his face cracking into a great big smile.

"What are you smiling for you idiot? if we have a problem then it needs..." she snapped back, but Edd cut her off before she could get into the swing of her rant.

"Twins Alice, you are having twins. Were you a twin?" came his excited voice again as he stepped forward to hold her frail hands.

"Twins? what do you mean twins? thats, how??" she began, spluttering her words. "I am a twin yes, but my brother was killed escaping my fathers labs, he died to save me."

"Fraternal twins have a slightly higher chance of producing their own set of twins. The genetic material you provided also held a second egg that we did not notice until they were fertilized. You very well may end up with a boy and a girl." he finished, taking a sip of his coffee that had started going cold. Grimacing as he swallowed, he poured the rest down a nearby sink.

Alice was in shock and turned slowly to leave before stopping.

"Keep me informed Doctor, I find myself quite suddenly tired." With that, she left the labs and returned to the mansion above.

Six months later...

The medical equipment create a gentle humming noise as it worked round the clock in Alice's room. The steady, rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor echoed off the walls. It was dark in her room, with only the light of a table side lamp glowing dimly beside the bed, illuminating the gaunt features of its occupant.

The cancer had ravaged her, spreading down her spine and across her body as treatment failed to even shrink the tumor in her brain. Several small operations had taken place to lessen the pressure on her brain from the swelling to keep her alive, but now her time was near and her breath came in rasps and gasps beneath her oxygen mask.

At the bottom of her bed stood two nurses, both holding infants in their arms. A boy and a girl. Grabbing at her mask she spoke two final words before falling into a coma.

"Albert"

"Ada"

The nurses left as Edward entered the room to sit with Alice until she moved into the next world. He sat next to her bed for six more hours before she suffered a massive stroke brought on by an aneurysm.

She was buried the following morning at a private ceremony within a newly commissioned memorial tomb in her private gardens. The memorial had all the names of her family and friends who had died over the years.

Albert Wesker (Father)

Ashley Taylor Wesker (Sister)

John "Hatter" Wesker (Brother)

Barney Stone

Walter "Wolf" White

The legacy she had left for her children was long and bloody. The Umbrella Corporation was stained with the blood of millions over its various incarnations and with her death it was dissolved utterly and completely with all its assets being transferred into a new corporation.

It would be decades until the Corporation was ready to go public, so until then, it would work in silence in the former Umbrella Corporation facilities whilst Albert and Ada were raised, educated and trained to use the abilities their mother left them.