The Ontario Citizen

maicke

OOC: This thread is for all news, announcements, events, happenings, discussions, developments, and minor military actions happening in the nation of Ontario which do not require their own thread. Please, unless given permission to, refrain from posting in this thread.

Stories with an * International * heading are announced to the international community.
Stories with a * Public * heading are announced to the Ontarian public, however are accessible to the international community.
Stories with a * Classified * heading are only known to all members of the Ontarian federal government and military commanders.
Stories with a * Highly Classified * heading are only known to certain members of the federal government and military.
And stories with a * Private * heading are only known to those mentioned or implied to have knowledge of the story.

IC:

[b]* International *[/b]

With the birth of a new nation comes the need for a stable and democratically elected government. These elections will take place on the first of this upcoming month (OOC: not real life time). A high turnout is expected, as citizens throughout the nation are eager to participate in the country's first ever elections. The candidates are as follows:

Derek Balke:

Place of Birth: Toronto
Ideology: Liberal
Notes: Wants greater power for federal government, as well as more federal aid programs for the poor. Military spending important for safety of nation.

Akira Williamson

Place of birth: Toronto
Previous political experience: none
Ideology: Conservative
Notes: Owner of largest and longest-running oil company in Ontario. Popular for policies such as reducing taxes, privatizing businesses, and attacking unions.

Kyle Tab

Place of Birth: Ottawa
Previous political experience: Mayor of Ottawa, eight years.
Ideology: Moderate
Notes: Places heavy emphasis on education, supports larger government. Military spending should be cut.

Michael Rozeny:

Place of birth: Thunder Bay
Previous political experience: none
Ideology: Liberal
Notes: Supports increased regulations on corporations, increased environmental standards. More federal aid programs for needy.

Jeff Blanchin:

Place of Birth: Toronto
Previous political experience: Served in Toronto city council, ten years.
Ideology: Conservative
Notes: Supports increase spending on military. Smaller federal government.

A map of Ontario divisions showing how each is expected to vote follows. Final results are based on the popular vote.

[img]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3216/ontariodivisionspolls.png[/img]

Blue indicates a Balke majority, red for Williamson, and green for Tab. Rozeny and Blanchin are not expected to hold the majority in any division.

Edited by maicke

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: My time got eaten up by a EU III run xD

IC:
[b]
* International *[/b]

In a stunning turn of events, lead candidate Derek Balke has announced he will no longer be seeking the presidential position for Ontario. With only weeks to go before the election, he has undoubtedly disappointed his supporters across Ontario, leaving Williamson and Tab as the new lead runners for president. Balke cited 'personal reasons' for his departure from the race, however added no further information. Tab is expected to pick up most of what would have been Balke's votes.

Edited by maicke

• 2 weeks later...

[b]** Private **[/b]

The doors flew open as Akira came charging in, quickly followed by two nearly identical blond men dressed in suits and sunglasses. Akira continued to his desk and slammed his fist upon it. As he turned around, the two men stood at attention, fear hidden behind their shades.

"What the Hell is going on!?" Akira demanded. "The election is tomorrow, and Tab has yet to drop out! I thought you said you had this handled!" Fury danced on his face as he stared the two men down.

"Sir, he agreed to the deal and accepted the money we offered him," the rightmost and taller of the two men began. "We do not know what happened, it appears he had double crossed us."

"Double crossed us? Double crossed us!? This is on [i]your[/i] heads. I entrusted you with this task, and you have failed me! You have failed your president."

"But sir, how are you so sure you will beat Tab? The election isn't until tomorrow?"

"We wouldn't have to worry about that if you had made sure Tab followed the plan as I wanted it. Now I am out three million and an overwhelming majority in the elections! I should have simply payed off the polling stations instead. It would have been cheaper and I wouldn't have had to deal with all of this. Now, out!" Akira pointed toward the open doors, and the two men quickly left as commanded, shutting the doors quietly behind them.

Now alone in his office, Akira closed his eyes and leaned back on his desk. "Who does this Tab think he is?" he mumbled to himself. "He'll pay for this. Once I win the election tomorrow, I'll make sure he wishes he never back stabbed me."

There was no major battle lost with Tab's betrayal. Akira was still the favorite to win the election. However, the race would be closer than he wanted. Akira planned to play off an apparent large public support to pass some of his early legislation, and building off of said legislation he could eventually gain the presidency as long as he wanted. But now it would be harder. Not impossible, but harder. Though to be fair, Akira always loved a challenge.

He opened his eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]** International **[/b]

In a close and heated race, Ontario is proud to announce the end of it's presidential elections. Coming away with 52% of the vote and a majority of districts, and officially becoming the first president of Ontario, was Akira Williamson. The next closest contender, Kyle Tab, received 45% of the popular vote. (margin of error of +/- 2%)

Williamson will immediately assume command of the government and will be sworn in later today.

[b]** Private **[/b]

"Congratulations, Akira."

Micheal was standing in front of a sitting Akira, smiling wide, with his hand extended offering a congratulatory shake. Akira, however, sat solemnly, eyes closed. Despite his victory, he was not overjoyed. Sensing this, Micheal's smile faded a bit as he lowered his hand.

"What is wrong? This is what we wanted, what we worked for, and what we expected. Enjoy it."

"This election was supposed to be a wash. I needed a much higher vote percentage to achieve the legitimacy I need in order to pass some of my more controversial changes. But that Tab, he back stabbed us, and stole my votes." He glanced up at Micheal, finally opening his dark eyes.

"I want him arrested," Akira commanded coolly. He stood up, hands behind his back, pushing his chair out of the way. "We will find a reason later. Today begins [i]my[/i] rule, and I shall not tolerate people who think they can mess with Akira Williamson."

• 3 weeks later...

[b]** International **[/b]

A series of devastating floods have hit Ontario, wrecking its cities and claiming the lives of thousands. It is unknown what the total damages will amount too; however whatever they are, this catastrophe will prove to be President Williamson's first test as leader of this country.

OOC: Things will pick up after school gets out next week. stupid finals.

Edited by maicke