Alvonia-Zapadnaya Diplomacy

Imperator Azenquor

The following private message would be sent to the government of Alvonia:

To: The Government of Alvonia

Fr: The Government of Zapadnaya
Re: Treaty Consultations

The government of Zapadnaya would like to again request a meeting for consultations regarding our Mutual Defense Pact. We hope to use these discussions to clarify certain points of concern and to discuss the way forward.

Edited by Imperator Azenquor

In response, after the necessary preparations were made, the following private message would be transmitted to the Alvonian government:

To: Foreign Ministry of Alvonia

Fr: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Zapadnaya

Thank you for your prompt reply. We have made the necessary preparations to receive the Alvonian Head of Government at the Sofia International Airport. All additional details have been forwarded to the Alvonian Embassy in Zapadnaya.

([b]OOC:[/b] Okay then.)

After a brief welcome ceremony at the Sofia International Airport, the Alvonian delegation would be brought to the Presidential residence in Sofia where they would be met by President Dragomirov and Vice-President Teodora Petrova.

[i]“Your Excellency, may I once again welcome you to Zapadnaya. We have requested this meeting in light of the significant developments in Europe over these past months and our desire to conduct a thorough review of our bilateral ties. 

Firstly how is the situation in Alvonia in the aftermath of the Bucharest settlement?”[/i]-President Dragomirov.

"It is wonderful to be here, Excellencies," Dressler said after the President finished. Once the situation post-Bucharest arose, Dressler sighed audibly. "We had some, shall we say, internal issues. A traitor to the state, to be specific. He was dealt with before he could deal too much damage, thankfully. Aside from that, we've mostly been working on improving our military and our economy. Never again will we be at a disadvantage should others seek to subjugate our lands." After finishing, she folded her hands in front of her. "Does that answer your question?"

Without missing a beat, President Dragomirov replied:

[i]“Indeed it does.

Our government wishes to express our sincere and significant concern over the following issues:

-The decision of the government of Alvonia to request activation of our Mutual Defense Pact on the basis that the response by other nations in Europe to the Alvonian invasion of Brandenburg constituted an act of aggression against Alvonia by those countries.

-The decision by the government of Alvonia to neither accept nor acknowledge our prior request for consultations regarding this matter. Those consultations were sought with the intention of fully clarifying the applicability of the relevant clause in our Mutual Defense Pact.

-Clarifying that the ultimatum presented to Alvonia by Romania and their allies constituted a document that could not be accepted by any truly sovereign nation and that there was likely an ulterior motive for the sending of this ultimatum, the manner of the response of the government of Alvonia to the Romanian-bloc ultimatum served to create an image of Alvonia as a reckless country itching for a confrontation. Mr. Power’s colorful statements, while of concern to us at the time, are now even more concerning in light of your Milanese ally’s feat of fantastic and unparalleled nuclear lunacy.

Given these three issues of concern, coupled with Mr. Power’s continued service in the Alvonian government, it is our position that the Mutual Defense Pact between our two nations cannot remain in it’s current form. In light of the logistical challenges posed by rendering military assistance to the government of Alvonia without the prior approval of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia or the controller of the Bosphorus straits, coupled with the impact of the three issues I’ve mentioned, I would like to propose that the treaty be revised and downgraded to an Optional Defense Pact.”[/i]-Dragomirov

"If it is any help," Dressler replied, "the lack of prior consultations was a result of some reorganizing we had to do when Mecklenburg-Vorpommern was obtained. I will look into this, but I suspect somebody along the line lost the request. While Mr. Powers may be..." she searched for the right word a moment, "different, he is working on keeping himself in check. That being said, I believe it is safe to say that a downgrade may be in the best interests of both of our countries at this time."

“Thank you for the clarification, your Excellency. I would like to express our hope that the treaty downgrade will permit us to reassess and re-evaluate the situation in the near future as well as to find common ground for future cooperation.

To that end, may I present the following amended draft text based upon our prior treaty for your consideration.”-President Dragomirov

==

Zapadnayan-Alvonian Optional Defense Pact

Preamble:

Alvonia and Zapadnaya, agree to the following provisions laid out in the mutually-agreed upon pact. Both nations remain fully sovereign states and sign this treaty in the hopes that better relations may be attained for the greater peace, prosperity, and good of these two nations.

Article 1: Nonaggression & Intelligence

The states of Alvonia and Zapadnaya agree to a pact of non-aggression, and will not interfere or step into the soil of the other nation when not specifically requested. Nor will either signatory illegally spy, destabilize, or in any other way attempt to bring harm to the other. Alvonia and Zapadnaya agree to disclose and share any relevant intelligence and information.

Article 2: Optional Defense

Should either signatory of this pact be engaged in a defensive war, the defending signatory may request the assistance of the other signatory under the terms of this article. Such assistance may include, but is by no means limited to military, financial and/or diplomatic support. While the provision of assistance to the signatory engaged in a defensive war is highly encouraged it is not mandatory. In the spirit of cooperation, should a signatory decline a request for assistance by the other signatory they are required to provide a detailed explanation for their decision to the requesting signatory’s government in a timely manner.

Article 3: Cancellation

Should either signatory wish to leave the obligations of this treaty, a notice must be given at least 24 hours in advance.

Signed for Alvonia,
Karoline Dressler, Head of Government

Signed for Zapadnaya,
Paskal Dragomirov, President of Zapadnaya

After reviewing the text, President Dragomirov added his signature then handed the document to the Alvonian Head of Government for her to do the same.

“As is customary, I will urgently transmit the treaty to the Zapadnayan Senate for it to be ratified. The ratification process should take no more than 24 hours after which we will consider the treaty to be in force. Upon ratification, the current treaty will officially replace our previous pact.”-Dragomirov