Aztlan - Himynamistan Summit

zzzptm

Everything was ready in the conference room in Tampico. This was no high-powered, western-style hardball negotiation. The room opened out to face the Gulf of Mexico and the sea breezes lifted the shades ever so gently. This was a [i]Mexican[/i] conference, first and foremost. The two heads of state would not face each other, but would sit side by side, facing the palm trees and the waves lapping on the beach. This was a discussion between [i]amigos.[/i]

Zzzptm welcomed Torres to the room. "We have so much to talk about that is serious, I thought it best we be able to look upon that which we love most. We are thrilled to see Aztlan come into being and I know we will discover ways in which we will mutually benefit."

Presidente Torres was immediately awe-struck by the view. He had never been to Tampico & his only regret was that he had not come sooner. He entered the conference room in a somewhat peculiar outfit, making his entry by the click of his sharp & polished wingtip shoes below high-waist, wide-legged, tight-cuffed pegged trousers, his shirt buttoned to the top covered by a long coat in classic [i]pachuco[/i] Zoot Suit fashion. He removed his brim hat, pinned by a colorful Queztal feather contrasting his extravagant black suit as he shook hands with Zzzptm. [i]"It is such an honor to be in the presence of a man to whom all of Mexico owes its thanks, & will soon owe so much more when we accomplish for Mexico what I dream we can."[/i] His carefully managed mustache rose as he expressed a warm smile and the young man took his seat by his new [i]amigo[/i].

"Niiice suit."

Zzzptm and Torres sat down and relaxed a bit...

"So, Torres, what would you like to see in relations between our nations? We're open to pretty much any suggestion of yours. We would even extend unilateral protection to your nation, no strings attached save one: no offensive wars."

Torres's eyebrows rose in suprise. [i]"Serrio? Unilateral protection. Aztlan would be forever grateful for such a thing."[/i] He stroked his mustache as his eyes wandered in thought. He looked towards Zzzptm, a familiar fire sparked in his eye as he launched his mind towards the subject he felt manifested his calling & purpose in this world today, [i]"Mexico has been deprived of a destiny of greatness; how can it be that a nation so rich in resource, culture, & raw potential is not counted amongst the great empires of today's world?"[/i] Torres moved to the edge of his seat as he spoke; the subject excited his frustrations as well as his hopes, [i]"You & I as well as all of Mexico are remnants of an empire brought down before its time. Being burdened as well as blessed with the opportunity to create again a center of power, union, & greatness centered here in Mexico, no one may answer this last cry from centuries past if we do not answer it now. The key is before us - we owe it to Mexico."[/i]

He let his words sink in for a moment before he continued again. He looked to the beautiful view & lifted his arms in praise, [i]"Imagine a reborn Aztec Empire, or perhaps better said; A Golden Era of Mexico- a Pax Azteca. I feel it my personal goal to do all I can to bring this forth. It is as if the voices of our ancestors are demanding it of me & I only hope you can hear them too, carnal. To me, an Aztec Empire of the modern age would see Mexico united; every inch of Mexican land wrested from foreign hands & interests. Our resources will no longer face squander to the powerful on the backs & blood of the weak. There is so much that needs to be done my brother, but put simply, I propose something of a 'United States of Mexico'."[/i]

Edited by Cutlass

Zzzptm thought of Torres' comments. They resonated deeply.

He looked out over the water and saw an eagle soaring above the Gulf. [i]That's highly unusual...[/i]

Then the symbolism dawned on him. "Yes, yes, you're right." He laughed. "My formerly rich former landowners will throw a perfect fit over such a move, but I know this would be the desire of all our campesinos. Let us do this."

He pulled out a sheaf of blank paper. "First steps are linking our nations... let's take a look at rail, road, and air transport... also telecoms. I know previous governments used a variety of rail gauges and, being a protectorate, must have suffered in annual budgets for airport maintenance. My people have much to offer, so I know we would be pleased to assist our northern brothers in these matters."

Torres also caught eye of the sight & felt could have meant nothing less than a sign that they were on the right path- a sign from who? The gods? Torres's imagination was soaring. He rested his thoughts for a moment & gave close attention to Zzzptm's response, [i]"Yes exactly, after communication we must have physical links & ease of travel amongst our nations. What of currency? I do not see what sense it would make to have anything but a common currency & Aztlan would have no issue adopting that of Himynamistan.[/i]

"Common currency issues can be difficult to overcome for nations without common business cycles or cultures. While Aztlan is a new, developing area, I think we can certainly overcome the cultural barrier. We would likely want to create arrangements where business and banking ventures in Aztlan remain protected and under local ownership for a period of, say, 10-15 years so that local industry and investment develops and it does not languish as a satellite of the centre."

[i]"This is acceptable, of course. You are fair & generous, this is more than I could have asked of you. You should know Aztlan in the early stages of a massive project, the center piece of which will see great land reform in favor of the native 'peasant' population, to whom I believe it belongs. Now, the opposition provides increasingly aggressive challenge as this plan commences but these elite are a minority, I only wish to see Democracy prevail over Capitalism completely & without exceptions. You see our economy is certainly changing rapidly, but 'success' along western business & globalist guidelines is not our goal- Material wealth is not the priority if life is lived freely, & with dignity."[/i]

Torres revealed a typed message from his pocket, unfolding the paper he let Zzzptm read. It had an official look, neatly put together & hand signed with several names. The note was a fancy worded threat to President Torres protesting his land reforms & accompanying social changes. He was politely reminded to whom nearly all of the economy "belongs."

[i]"Do not be fooled, this is not even the work of the Cartels. These names are prominent Mexican families, the 'elite' of Aztlan. Do you realize they send these things to elected officials; they speak to Presidents in this manner?? Right now, this elite, in collusion with immense foreign corporations control much of the natural wealth of Aztlan & this is what needs to come to an end. I am prepared to continue this revolution if it costs me my own life, but I ask of you my friend, if you do not see similar urgency; if you do not feel a similar pain?"[/i]

Edited by Cutlass

Zzzptm nodded... "The greatest barriers to any revolution are the jefes that wish to keep their grip on power. We try to resolve such problems peacefully, but we had a revolt this past year in Morelos that almost exploded into an international incident. The conservatives will do anything to try and get my nation involved in war. Thankfully, the radicals in my party are anti-war, or we'd see RH forces streaming across the HAE border, to the ruin of many, many people."

"We will definitely want to get some high-level staff together to iron out a treaty so we can begin officially phasing in our plans."

Torres began stroking his mustache in his usual manner as deep though engulfed him. Being the head of state at so relatively young an age; would his hair turn gray, he wondered. That shouldn't matter, he shaves his head. He directed his thought back towards the matter at hand & followed them as they traveled, bringing him to Zzzpmt's statement. He was anxious for some real headway, something he could hold & feel, some substance as he clasped hopes to create a better nation, a better friendship, a better Mexico. [i]"Should we schedule another meeting or.."[/i] Torres flashed a cellphone from his pocket, [i]"Should we fly them in now?"[/i]

"Get 'em here now. We can catch a show tonight while they're in flight. I'll have my people draw up a charter for unification on the plane."

(OOC: This all took place on the 19th. Now they've had discussions and a chance to hammer out a treaty, ready to be signed today...)

[quote]

Treaty of 31 December 2010 between the Republic of Himynamistan and the Nation of Aztlan on the establishment of Mexican unity (Unification Treaty)
The Republic of Himynamistan and the Nation of Aztlan,
Resolved to achieve in free self-determination the unity of Mexico in peace and freedom as an equal partner in the community of nations,
Mindful of the desire of the people in both parts of Mexico to live together in peace and freedom in a democratic and social federal state governed by the rule of law,
In grateful respect to those who peacefully helped freedom prevail and who have unswervingly adhered to the task of establishing Mexican unity and are achieving it,
Aware of the continuity of Mexican history and bearing in mind the special responsibility arising from our past for a democratic development in Mexico committed to respect for human rights and to peace,
Seeking through Mexican unity to contribute to the building of a peaceful MesoAmerican order in which borders no longer divide and which ensures that all MesoAmerican nations can live together in a spirit of mutual trust,
Aware that the inviolability of frontiers and of the territorial integrity and sovereignty of all states in Mexico within their frontiers constitutes a fundamental condition for peace,
Have agreed to conclude a Treaty on the Establishment of Mexican Unity, containing the following provisions:
CHAPTER I
EFFECT OF ACCESSION
ARTICLE 1
FEDERAL STATES
Upon the accession of the Nation of Aztlan to the Republic of Himynamistan in accordance with Article 23 of the Basic Law taking effect on 31 January 2011 the States of Republica Himynamistan shall become States of the Federal Republic of Mexico. The establishment of these States and their boundaries shall be governed by the provisions of the Constitutional Act of 31 December 2010 on the Establishment of States in the Nation of Aztlan (State Establishment Act) (Law Gazette I, No. 51, p. 955) in accordance with Annex II.

ARTICLE 2
CAPITAL CITY, DAY OF MEXICAN UNITY
(1) The capital of Mexico shall be Zzzptmacan, renamed Mexico City. The seat of the parliament and government shall be decided after the establishment of Mexican unity.
(2) 31 December shall be a public holiday known as the Day of Mexican Unity.
CHAPTER II
BASIC LAW
ARTICLE 3
ENTRY INTO FORCE OF THE BASIC LAW
Upon the accession taking effect, the Basic Law of the Federal Republic of Mexico, as published in the Federal Law Gazette Part III, No. 100-1, and last amended by the Act of 21 December 1983 (Federal Law Gazette I, p. 1481), shall enter into force in all states subject to the amendments arising from Article 4, unless otherwise provided in this Treaty.
ARTICLE 4
AMENDMENTS TO THE BASIC LAW RESULTING FROM ACCESSION
The Basic Law of the Republic of Himynamistan shall be amended as follows:
1. The preamble shall read as follows:
"Conscious of their responsibility before God and men,
Animated by the resolve to serve world peace as an equal partner in a united Mexico, the Mexican people have adopted, by virtue of their constituent power, this Basic Law.
The Mexicans in all states have achieved the unity and freedom of Mexico in free self-determination. This Basic Law is thus valid for the entire Mexican people."
2. Article 23 shall be repealed.
3. Article 51 (2) shall read as follows:
"(2) Each State shall have at least three votes; States with more than two million inhabitants shall have four, States with more than six million inhabitants five, and States with more than seven million inhabitants six votes."
4. The existing text of Article 135a4 shall become paragraph 1. The following paragraph shall be inserted after paragraph 1:
(OOC: … and so on… this is basically a re-wording of the German Unification Treaty of 1990.)
ARTICLE 44
PRESERVATION OF RIGHTS
Rights arising from this Treaty in favour of the Nation of Aztlan or the States of Himynamistan of this Treaty may be asserted by each of these States after the accession has taken effect.
ARTICLE 45
ENTRY INTO FORCE OF THE TREATY
(1) This Treaty, including the attached Protocol and Annexes I to III, shall enter into force on the day on which the Governments of the Republic of Himynamistan and the Nation of Aztlan have informed each other that the internal requirements for such entry into force have been fulfilled.
(2) The Treaty shall remain valid as federal law after the accession has taken effect.
Done at Tampico on 31 December 2010 in duplicate in the Mexican language.

For the Republic of Himynamistan Zzzptm Nezahualcoyotl
For the Nation of Aztlan
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote]

"All it needs now is your signature, and then we change the name of a city and erase a line on the map..."

Torres glanced around the room. [i]"I'd like to welcome all in attendance as part of this magnanimous achievement."[/i] & with two signatures Mexico would be unified. Torres wasted no time signing his name & shaking hands with the men & women who worked tirelessly & with solid cooperation to reach this day.

[img]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/Zapaw/white-1.jpg[/img]