Channel 1 News

Today the famous Altarian councilman Gilyord Hnils was killed in an [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=89375&view=findpost&p=2383281"]ambush[/url] by an unknown separatist group today along with his entire security staff and three other people who's identities are being withheld until notification of their next of kin. This shocking news tops off nearly a whole week of rising violence including eight bombings of military and police patrols and several gun battles resulting in 32 deaths and 97 injured people. Internal Affairs Minister Kona Tulha is still bedridden and couldn't be reached while Defense Minister Vega Arco declined to comment on the days activities. Several anonymous government officials reported that the implementation of martial law is being considered as an option as well as further mobilization of the military. In response to the death of councilman Hnils and the rising levels of violent actiivites, widespread rallies and protests have formed. Some turned into riots with military and police forces having to disperse the crowds with tear gas and water cannons as well as temporarily detaining over 310 rioters and looters. Grand Chancellor Mancer declined immediate comment on the situation but said that he would be addressing the nation about it soon.

Edited by Altarian Republic

[size="5"][u][i][b]CHANCELLOR'S SPEECH[/b][/i][/u][/size]

Grand Chancellor Necro Mancer has addressed the nation today in regards to the growing levels of violence and terrorism throughout the Republic.

[i]
"My fellow citizens. These are grave times for us all. Since our nation was formed it has been standing on unstable ground. Today was another day filled with death and destruction. The killing of innocents and the brave soldiers and police officers continues. With the violence getting out of hand and the local state's inability to stop it I am taking the following steps. First, martial law is being declared in the cities of Altaria, Drengonia, Oxor and Altaris. Second, a curfew of 6:00 PM will be put into place for all citizens not involved in essential public service activities. Anyone violating curfew will be suspect to detention without trial. Third, the military and police shall be given the power to detain anyone involved in violent mass rallies or riots that threaten the public safety without trial. Fourth, all police officers and units shall be integrated into a single police force to operate under the Department of Justice. I truly wish these steps were not necessary but the situation has grown out of hand. I urge the people of this new Republic to obey these emergency measures so we can restore peace to the nation. Good night."[/i]

[size="5"][u][i][b]RISING VIOLENCE[/b][/i][/u][/size]
Today 63 more people were killed in three bombings and four shootings. The three bombs targeted a shopping mall, a stadium and even an elementary school. Two police stations were attacked by gunmen resulting in the deaths of eight of the gunmen and five officers. The other two shootings were directed at local city officials including the Police Chief of Oxor and the Mayor of Altaris.

[size="5"][u][i][b]THE TROUBLES[/b][/i][/u][/size]
Today marked the first time combat occurred between separatist forces and the Altarian Military. It occurred in the city of Oxor when a police unit started to investigate suspicious activity at an abandoned warehouse. It turned out to be a base of operations for a separatist militia and the army was called in to apprehend them. They succeeded in escaping and spreading out over several city blocks before the army arrived. The battle raged for hours with helicopters and even two tanks being called in for support. The military claims it has killed twelve separatists and captured fifteen others while losing eight men in the battle. In response to this incident the Defense Minister Vega Arco has ordered the mobilization of all available military units and has submitted to the Republic Council a request to enlarge the military saying [i]"I feel that there is something dark on the horizon for our nation. A civil war to shake the foundation of our Republic. We must take the necessary steps to deal with this now or our Republic shall fall and forever be enshrouded in darkness for centuries to come".[/i] It is unknown if the council will approve the request for additional military funding in the absence of the Grand Chancellor and the slight but growing lack of trust in the military's ability to stay out of politics.

Edited by Altarian Republic