Offer of Friendship

VigilantWatcher

[quote]To: Madurastan

Very well, we shall be looking forward to meeting you.

The Queen is not available at the moment, but miss Célentin has the right to negotiate during her absence. The meeting shall take place in Manzhouli, please let us know at what time we may expect your diplomat.[/quote]

Diplomat Wilkes would arrive in Zargathia without delay, the regular traffic of the day being sent along a small detour that would prevent the diplomatic train from being delayed.

Once outside, the diplomat and his party would be welcomed by Royal Secretary [url=http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4281/348ac72166e38811a9d50ce.jpg]Rebecca Célentin[/url], and flanking her Major [url=http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6761/376a628b7fa983e0c3263cb.png]Violet Lincoln[/url] who was in charge of security, and Captain [url=http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4697/d14c21b1396fbac6259a7b8.png]Larissa Orlov[/url] who would act as the translator if necessary.

Rebecca bid them welcome in Chinese, which would be translated into English by Larissa. This would be the first time diplomats of their respective countries would meet, and the Zargathians weren't quite sure which of the two languages they were more familiar with, so they just settled on bilingual until Wilkes would speak in the language he felt more comfortable in.

"Hello, its nice to be here" Daniel Wilkes addresssed Rebecca Célentin in English. "I would use Mongolian but i prefer using English." Wilkes explained. "I am here at the request of the Madurastan government to ask for a diplomatic treaty. I have a copy of our President's signature which is part of protocol in case any treaty is struck during diplomatic talks."

Rebecca nodded. English it was then. She switched to (British) English herself, it being one of Zargathia's two national languages, but her own Chinese accent could still be made out. Every once in a while, Larissa would speak up to translate something that the Brits called differently than the Americans.

- "Excellent. The car is waiting, shall we continue to the conference hall?"

Rebecca smiles, brushing a strand of black hair out of her face.

- "To be honest, this is mine as well. Normally the Queen handles all diplomatic meetings while i tend to day-to-day affairs, but there was too much for her to catch up on after the communications blackout ended."

The Madurastan delegation was led to an [url=http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/Sgt_Shidner/Vehicle%20Designs/scan0001.jpg]M18A1 "Armadillo" APC[/url] that had been one of those purchased from Kriegland several years ago. While the choice for an APC would certainly be uncommon, Larissa was quick to explain.

"The Zargathian Army is in charge of security, and thus we feel it is appropriate to use army vehicles to transport our guests. Though some would find it odd, it is not our way to keep a park of luxurious automobiles that serve no purpose 95% of the time."

David nodded. "In Madurastan's southern provinces we have to travel in armoured vehicles due to fears that TLAM renmants may attack the vehicles although they are almost totally eradicated due to the Madurastan military adopting ruthless measures." He felt exited at what he may discuss at the meeting.

Rebecca nodded. She didn't know what kind of 'ruthless measures' Wilkes would be referring to but decided it was not the purpose of the meeting to find out. She had several idea of a treaty in mind, and after scratching off a few that still left her with a good variety to choose from. Instead, she brought up something else she saw as important.

- "During the creation of Zargathia, there was a rebellion in a nation called the Lu Empire, and the fighting almost spilled across the border into our lands. These methods you have described... They will not be forcing the TLAM to sneak across the border and strike from here?"

The turns the AP was making was increasing, telling them they were likely close to their location. Though one could see perfectly fine out of the windows, the seats were organized in such a way that the passengers were facing one another, with the windows behind and above them.

"No of course not. The methods are the Madurastan military seek out where they are, surround their position and either capture or kill them. Any person collaborating with them are taken away and imprisoned. The border where the trouble provinces are is patrolled day and night and any person attempting to enter your nation without going through the proper border checkpoints are usually shot on sight."

Edited by Curristan

- "I see. In case any economic treaties are to be signed, we would need to adjust our security measures to yours, so that we may properly coordinate our efforts."

What she didn't say was that Zargathia would likely just detain them for interrogation instead of shooting them on sight. The amount of border guards would have to be increased throughout the border regardless, and she made a mental note to look into the causes the TLAM were fighting for. The APC on the other hand slowed to a stop, and the driver turned his head to tell them they had arrived.

A short while later, they were all at the place the conference was to be held. It was not, as some might have expected, a tall building symbolizing power and wealth, but instead a [url=http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9268/b4a7079859e28492e945217.jpg]much more modest[/url] location in the middle of a park. Rebecca guided the delegation inside and towards the back, where wooden tables and chairs stood ready for the visitors.

- "My people believe that the best treaties can only happen when both parties feel comfortable. That is why we prefer to negotiate in peaceful surroundings such as this one."

A maid arrived, asking the representatives what they would like to drink. Though the surroundings would be natural, there were several floors below the building able to provide the delegation with anything its members might wish for. Though carefully kept out of sight, the place did have a fair share of technology.

David surveyed the scene. He could see that nature had been undisturbed and the wildlife kept from harm. "I really like this area. It is so peaceful." He turned to the maid. "I would like a cup of cofeee please, black with two sugars." He then looked at Rebecca. "What would you like to discuss with me??"

The maid nodded, and left after taking the remaining orders. When she returned several minutes later, she was holding a tray of drinks, including Wilkes' coffee. If he had taste for it he would notice that the coffee beans couldn't have been ground more than five minutes ago. The water used to brew it would be mineral water from the Greather Khingan mountain range, further adding to the purity of the blend. Smelling the aroma of her own tea, Rebecca decided to let it cool for a moment, and started discussing the treaty she had in mind.

- "Mr. Wilkes, we are currently in the process of reaffirming the ties with our neighboring countries. If a mutual understanding can be reached, we would like to sign an economic treaty with a NAP incorporated into it. The addition of the NAP clause should in itself suffice to encourage trade further. What would your thoughts be on this topic?"

"The treaty you are offering is what the Madurastan government wishes to have. Madurastan companies would want to expand into Zargathia if they were allowed to. We would waive all import fees and allow freedom of trade through the border between both our nations. We would also relax the cost of Zargathian companies wishing to expand into the Maduratsan markets. What economic benefits would you be willing to extend?"

- "Mr. Wilkes, due to how the Zargathian taxation system is set up we are unable to waive all import fees, though we would certainly be willing to reduce the tariffs placed upon Madurastanian products. If you wish to change your offer to waive all tariffs to a reductioon of one we shall not hold it against you. Naturally, Madurastanian companies expanding into Zargathia are free to do so if they wish, and we will impose no limitations upon them."

Rebecca took a sip of her tea. It was still a little too hot, but at its current rate it would be good to drink in a few more minutes.

- "What we shall offer is to convert the transportation divisions of the Zargathian branches of these companies into electrical engines at no cost. A few years ago, Zargathia had successfully completed an Oil Phase-out where nearly all of our national vehicle park was converted to electrical engines, using the Zargathian Railways for the first testing runs. It is part of the reason why we are able to enjoy the peace here despite being less than ten miles away from Manzhouli."

"Once the treaty is signed there is no doubt Madurastan companies will try and find a suitable market here. What your offer is great. This would make trade between our nations very strong and our economies will prosper from it. I would like to ask whether you wish to purchase any technology from Madurastan or any products?"

Rebecca thought for a moment, running the numbers on what was needed. There had been an outstanding military order from Kriegland, but after its descent into Anarchy she doubted they'd be able to deliver the ordered goods anytime soon.

- "Hmm... Our coastguard is still in need of fast, highly maneuverable ships for rescue missions. However, since Madurastan does not have a natural port we are not sure whether you have the ability to supply it."

"We use a base at Diu, India that the Kingdom of Cochin gave us. We do use Cyclone Class Patrol Ships. I luckily have a specification list in my briefcase." Daniel reached down and retrieved it before handing it over:

[quote]

[u][b]Cyclone Class Patrol Ship[/b][/u]

[b]General characteristics [/b]

Displacement: 331 tons (336 metric tons) full load
Length: 179 ft (55 m)
Beam: 25 ft (7.6 m)
Propulsion: Four Paxman diesels; four shafts; 3,350 shaft horsepower (2.50 MW)
Speed: 35 knots (40 mph; 65 km/h)
Crew: Four officers, 24 enlisted personnel
Armament: 1 × MK 38 MOD 2 GWS (M242 cannon)
1 × MK 38 25 mm autocannon
5 × .50 caliber machine guns
2 × MK 19 40 mm automatic grenade launchers
2 × M240B machine guns

[/quote]

"Would this suit your needs?"

Rebecca looked over the specifics, writing some details in a notebook she had brought with her.

- "Interesting... I'd say this meets our expectations. I have some questions however... If we were to replace the engines with stronger ones, would the hull be able to take the additional strain, and would the boat be kept from flipping at this enhanced maximum velocity? In addition, would there be the possibility to include a telescopic sight with optional night and infrared lenses?"

David thought for a moment. "I think it should be okay to put the various equipment you wish to add to the vessel. The engine issue may have to solved by testing one with the new engines, although i feel that the hull should be able to take the strain as it is designed to take a torpedo hit."

"Very well. We shall ship eight engines to... Diu, was it? Since it concerns experimental engines, we hope it would not be a problem if the engines were to be handled exclusively by a team of Zargathian engineers?"

[quote name='Amyante' date='11 July 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1278861458' post='2366955']
"Very well. We shall ship eight engines to... Diu, was it? Since it concerns experimental engines, we hope it would not be a problem if the engines were to be handled exclusively by a team of Zargathian engineers?"
[/quote]

"Yes thats right. We can even send a vessel to you that has been built at Diu and has everything on board but has not had the engines installed yet. aIt is in a dry dock at the base. That would be a suitable test bed as we can fit the experimental engines on it. I see no problem with your scientists handling the engines."

"Hmm... No, it would be better to use the facilities at Diu for testing, they seem to be more suited to the task. Nevertheless, if you don't mind me going into specifics, how many engineless models would you be able to supply, and what would we be expecting in terms of production time?"