CNRP Steam & Cog Campaign v.1.0

Cybil de Blanc

[center]
[b][u]The Steam & Cog Campaign:
The Steampunk/Clockpunk CNRP Alternate History[/b][/u][/center]

[b][u]Setting and Technology[/b][/u]

The setting of this CNRP branch is in an Alternate History, taking place, in my mind, in the 1920's - 1930's. Unless given permission by another RPer, you cannot roleplay a political figure in another RPer's country. Civilian characters, however, do not require such, but you must ask the RPer of a country first whether or not you may play a civilian from that RPer's country. The exceptions to this are the no-man's lands - anywhere in the sky or on the ocean that is not part of a nation's airspace and naval area, respectively. Unclaimed land also counts as no-man's land until a nation takes it.

As stated before, it is a steampunk/clockpunk setting, meaning that Victorian and Renaissance fashions are in, everything is mostly made out of and/or runs on clockwork and/or steam power, and there is some degree of corruption in the world. How much corruption there is depends on how one wants to RP their country; if someone wants to be an absolute tyrant, that's great. If one wants to be the ruler a peaceful haven, that's also great. However, the setting comes with a default problem, as the world always does - piracy. The progression of airships and airplanes has allowed for links of all kinds to be made amongst the world's countries - including business, military, and more. However, the sky is a new frontier, and there is no set way on how to regulate who does what; the countries can only enforce what lies upon their main trade routes. Even then, with so many people criss-crossing said routes, no one can agree if one country's laws apply or not, so vigilantism, self-made codes of honour and corruption mostly rule the clouds. Those patrolling the sea below have a better handle on water-based piracy, but the same principles can still commonly be found.

Although I'm leaving the social stigmas and norms up to the RPers, I'd like to point out a few more things. The setting takes inspiration from the Renaissance, Victorian Era and WWI, so keep in mind and research a little on what was expected of people back then. Women, however, have more freedoms, and there are many respected female professionals; nonetheless, expect sexism to have somewhat of a presence in the world. Scientists, philosophers, craftsmen, and all-around thinkers and movers are held in high regard, and the combination of art and science is a major theme. There are social class issues, meaning the rich, middle class and poor have some squabbles with one another. There is also certain codes of conduct that apply to intelligent machinery, but that shall be covered later.

Calculated technology levels in the [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=76516]regular CNRP-verse[/url] also apply, categorized in this universe as follows:

- [i][u]Third World Nation:[/u] Renaissance-themed era/clockpunk technology[/i]

The technology is equivalent to the late seventeenth century to the beginnings of the eighteenth century. Most technology runs on clockwork - that is, gears and cogs - and the designs would only be of this time period and earlier. There is a Renaissance theme/general trend among the people, and as such, cultural norms from that era have a slight influence on the country (unless one wants to make it like a Renaissance society). Flying machines are non-existent in this country - save for some simple gliders, hot air balloons and such - unless they are bought from other countries. Medicine and general knowledge is equivalent to the Renaissance era as well, and prosthetic body parts are mainly restricted to simple things of wood and metal. You're not getting a fully automated, metal leg here; more like an iron or pine wood peg for a missing limb. Cyborgs do not exist; small, simply-minded constructs of clockwork do (but no mechas) that perform mundane tasks, or act as companions.

- [i][u]Modern Nation:[/u] Early Victorian/Renaissance-themed era/clockpunk-steampunk technology mix[/i]

Society has taken the leap forward into the world of steam technology, but as with all evolving technologies, there are still remnants of the old - gears and cogs are still needed to run a lot of things. The time period this nation's society is equivalent to is the late eighteenth century stretching to the early/early mid-nineteenth century - basically, the early years of the Victorian era. Flying machines are present; airship travel is beginning to happen in the modern nation, although they are not as large as one might think, and are limited to real-life-sized zeppelins. Medicine and knowledge are equivalent to the Victorian era, but prosthetic body parts are more advanced - they resemble the prosthetic body parts you see today, and people have some control over them through the use of small amounts of animatium (see the [i]Magic[/i] section below). Movements are limited to the basics, however, such as kicking and slapping, and things such as eyes and organs cannot be replaced. Cyborgs exist to some degree (for example, a horse may be given a brass hoof, or a bird metal wings), but nothing special appears here. Constructs may have a moderate degree of intelligence, and be small to moderately sized; they are used for mundane tasks, as companions, and to a small degree, in the military (but no mechas).

- [i][u]First World Nation:[/u] Victorian-era to WWI-era technology/steampunk technology[/i]

The most advanced civilizations in the RP. Almost everything in the nation that is significant runs on steam power. The time period this nation level is reminiscent of the mid- to late Victorian era up to the end of WWI. There are most definitely flying machines - you can make giant airships with this nation level, but not too giant - and WWI-style airplanes are also allowed. In addition to steam power, the use of petroleum power is gaining acceptance, and a few things (such as air planes) are run on such. Medicine and knowledge is equivalent to that of this time period, but prosthetic body parts are highly, anachronistically advanced; they function much like a human limb would. The only catch is, they are run on animatium (see the [i]Magic[/i] section below), and can be costly to keep up and repair, due to the number of mechanisms needed for them to work right. Prosthetic organs are being to be experimented with, but due to the risk of contaminating the inner body with liquid animatium, which is poisonous, it's considered risky. Constructs may have near-human or human intelligence, and may be small to large in size (but no mechas). Constructs may be used for mundane tasks, companionship and throughout the military, but there are certain rules regarding military constructs that will be explained later on. Heavily-modified cyborgs exist here.

Edited by Cybil de Blanc

[b][u]Magic[/b][/u]

Magic is treated as something of the unknown. It is not present in the form of witches and wizards, as you might see in a classical fantasy setting - instead, it takes the form of "magitech", or magical technology. There are two ways to create magical technology - through the use of elemental beings, or through the use of the strange element of animatium. The latter is preferred for creating
constructs, such as clockwork creatures, and the former is used for mundane functions, such as helping steer zeppelins.

[i][u]One: Through the Use of Elementals[/u][/i]

The first method, using elemental beings, refers to the use of sylphs, salamanders, gnomes and undines to power technology. Sylphs, elementals of the air, appear as vaguely humanoid, translucent, whitish creatures, lazily drifting on the winds and thriving high in the air where oxygen is thin. They have the power to create gusts of wind and spread their essence about, enriching the air with oxygen, helium, or any other gaseous substance they choose to become. They are neutral towards humans, speaking human languages in wispy voices and are of human intelligence, but dislike having airships coming into their habitat. A group will happily blow an airship in the other direction if it means they get a little peace and quiet; one can take advantage of this by promising a patch of high altitude, free of air traffic in return for the sylphs' services.

Salamanders, on the other hand, are of more animal-based instincts and intelligence, and are the closest thing to dragons in this setting. They are reptiles the size of a Komodo dragon, found in the hottest habitats on the Earth, and need to maintain a high body temperature in order to survive. To humans, they are vicious, nasty creatures, equipped with boiling saliva they spit at their enemies, a nasty bite, and skin that burns to the touch; to their own kind, they work as a highly efficient pack, and a male is especially protective of a female harem he may have, and the females are to their fellow females and the young. Usually, salamanders cannot be fully tamed - the most common method of having one in one's service is through force. Their body temperature is made dangerously low, which forces them to seek warm places to regain their strength. Because of the heat their skin has, they can easily set things on fire, and can be used to restart engines and furnaces when a flame goes out. Their bodies also dry out moist items very quickly, so even if an engine is a little bit wet, a salamander's presence can get it started in no time.

Undines take the form of beautiful, koi-like flying fish (not fish with wings - look up the species of flying fish), about the size of a small horse/unusually large pony. Their bodies are a vast series of blues, blue-greys and blue-whites, and they are primarily found in oceans all over the world - however, the odd one may turn up in a lake or river fed by the sea. They are a highly skittish species, and it takes a gentle hand to earn their trust, as their flight instincts are much like that of a fearful horse. When one does earn an undine's trust, however, undines can be harnessed to boats, logs and other potential water vehicles, which they pull through the water with graceful ease - all while moving as fast as a hare. They can dive up to incredible depths, and, although they dislike it, they will allow some to ride the spot between their gills and their dorsal fin. Nobility may enjoy raising them, as undines are known for their acrobatic leaps and flips, which are said to resemble the moves of a dancer.

Finally, there are the gnomes. These are not so much elementals as they are altered humanoids. These humans are descended from animatium miners, who underwent a strange change from the combination of earth that spilt onto them as well as exposure to the animatium. Since animatium is found primarily in cold climates, the frozen material was not poisonous, but seemed to give off an odd radiation that - after the miners came up after hours of continuous work - changed them slowly. The miners became shorter, their builds more sturdy and bulky (like a fictional dwarf's), they became highly tolerant of having a large coating of filth on their body, began to favour "subterranean" foods such as root vegetables and burrowing animals, could see better in the dark and less in the light, had a higher pain tolerance, and began to be able to slightly [i]smell[/i] different metals. As they are humans, they think and reason like us, and one would treat them as they would any other person. However, as with all differences, there is some racism, mainly because the animantium's alteration of their physique is not known elsewhere in the world - and many are fearful of that.

[i][u]Two: Through the Use of Animatium[/u][/i]

Known also as "the fifth element" and "the elixir of life", animatium is a strange element that is whitish and translucent in liquid form at room temperature. It is toxic in this form, as well as the fumes that radiate off of it, but when frozen, it takes on an opaque, white-grey appearance, almost like feldspar, and loses its toxic quality. Perhaps being nature's way of making sure the world does not suffer from animatium's toxic effects, this element is commonly found frozen deep underground, and only within the boundaries of the Arctic and Antarctic circles. It is pricey, but for those who can afford it, its wondrous effects can be used to create constructs and artificial replacements for lost parts of the body.

If a frozen piece of animatium is placed inside a construct with the intent of "seeing what happens", the animatium will melt, and for some reason, cause the construct to become animated. However, it must be taught what it is meant to do, and will "experiment" with its body at first, moving around and testing its limits, (for example, snapping any jaws and flapping any wings) as it tries to figure out how to exist. It also, somehow, bonds the nerves and muscles of a body to an artificial limb when in considerable amounts, much like how the automail of [i]Fullmetal Alchemist[/i] becomes attached to the muscles and nerves of the body through an automail port. There is also the case of the gnomes, who were transformed by exposure to animatium in the frigid animatium mines, suggesting that, in some cases, animatium can cause mutations in creatures. The effect, however, has not yet been replicated.

Edited by Cybil de Blanc

[b][u]Religion[/b][/u]

The leash of realism is absent with religion. Whether or not one wants the religious themes of the relevant historical times to be existent, or to make up one's own pantheon for any characters one may have, is up to the discretion of the player. For information considering the supernatural aspects of religion, and if they exist in this world, see the [i]Supernatural Creatures and Phenomena[/i] section below.

[b][u]Supernatural Creatures and Phenomena[/b][/u]

When it comes to the supernatural, the closest thing one will find in this world are the elementals and animatium. All mythical beings are in the form of constructs, which may be created in the form of whatever the creator pleases. As with the real world, ghosts, spooks, demons and angels all play a role in the world's culture and mythology, but do not specifically exist outside of belief circles. That means that, even if one wants to roleplay a ferocious demon with a huge flaming sword, one can't - but one can certainly believe in and claim that such a thing exists.

As for supernatural experiences, the RP goes by the "what you see is what [i]you[/i] see" rule. If a character sees an angel come to him/her in a dream, then he/she can claim such. Don't expect, however, for the same thing to happen to everyone else in the RP, or for them to believe it happens, unless others agrees for that event to happen to other people. Also, don't try calling down meteors from the sky in the name of God X, or anything else like that; it counts as a forced supernatural experience if it happens. Once again, one can believe it was because of God X, but the story itself cannot state that the meteors were directly because of such. In real life, we can say Deity X caused a natural disaster, but many will agree that there is no proof to the belief.

In addition to that which has been mentioned, I am classifying "powers" under this category. I'm talking about empaths, telekinetics, psychics and related persons; because of how they can be abused, I'm banning their presence in the RP. At the most, your character can [i]seem[/i] to have an "uncanny knack" for reading emotions, or an "almost supernatural way" of guessing what a person is thinking, but even then, don't go too far. Justify the supposed ability; is a character predictable in nature, allowing someone who's a great judge of character to deduce the gist of their thinking patterns with some accuracy?

Ordinary people changing the world by simply trying to survive in it can make more of an impact than an over-the-top character nobody likes. Just because there are limits on what man can do in the world, it doesn't mean the human race is forever bound to be mediocre. Rather, it means that the human race is challenged, and by overcoming its challenges, the human world can create some wondrous things.

[b][u]The Sciences[/b][/u]

As expected of such a construction-oriented world, the sciences flourish, and are welcomed with open arms. The studies of physics, alchemy (which, in this universe, is a blend of modern chemistry and medieval-style alchemy), weather and biology at are the forefront, and if you are savvy with any of those, expect a high place or rank for yourself in society. Another important branch is magistudy - the study of magic and the supernatural, and the attempt to prove that it is a real, separate thing from current science. Three of the main focuses of magistudy are the existence of the elementals and animatium, as well as the properties of the latter, and why the gnomes became what they are. It is a study full of assumption and best guesses, and may overlap with any of the forefront sciences, much to the chagrin of the non-magistudy-oriented.

Medicine, however, has had quite a few shortcomings, except in the study of prosthetic limbs. Although biology sheds light on why some illnesses afflict certain people, and the nature of disease itself, those with more severe sickness are stigmatized in modern and third-world nations. The first-world nations - who are leading the way in the modernization of the world - are better off about this problem, although if one was to pick up a medical history book, they could see that places such as asylums still are places to be feared in the eyes of the general public. Add to the fact that the hygiene of cities in general isn't the best in parts of this world's universe (the time periods should be a giveaway), and serious outbreaks are not unknown. One of the most feared and most definite possibilities are various strains of the plague and leprosy, which, in this universe, has a number of lethal strains that don't exist in our world and are still being researched; any nation with a plague and/or leprosy problem is going to have quite a public relations debacle on their hands. Nobody wants to get sick with such a crippling disease, right?

On the subject of illness, there is tension between the various levels of nations on the nature of sickness and the ill. Though many embrace modern medicine, there are just as equally as many who believe in the old texts on humours and old superstition, such as demonic possession being responsible for illness. This is especially prevalent in the third world/poorer modern countries, who do not have the funds needed or have too corrupt a government to care about medical research. When there is an outbreak in one of the weaker tech level nations, tensions usually fly, and propaganda is used quite a lot to belittle other nations for "getting sick". In this world, severe illness is seen as a slowing sign of progress by many, as sick workers cannot research or tend to factory lines to keep working on and improving machinery.

Finally, as the world is an inventive one, and a player is feeling particularly ambitious, they can try and spring up a scientific study of their own. If one should do this, they should not assume their idea will catch on, and no developed ideas straight from the beginning, either; the player must [i]work[/i] to convince others that their theories are legitimate. If one fails to get the public on their side, then one should expect shame on their name, and a definite loss of credibility. This is a time of change, and that change is supposed to be progressive; if someone's crackpot theories turn out to be without basis, and derail the moving forward of the world in any way, then that person has pretty much bitten the dust, reputation-wise.

In terms of the sciences, I'm going to allow people to have research that existed up until 1939/1940 for First World nations [i]at the most[/i]. The same goes for medical knowledge, except for prosthetic limbs, cyborgs and pain/anaesthesia-related medication, which is a bit more modern for First-World Countries - this is because of advances with cyborg technology that did not exist in our world at the time. If anyone has a question about the technology or medicine one is using, then the RPer who is being questioned should provide a link or two to prove what they are roleplaying is legit.

Edited by Cybil de Blanc

[b][u]Why No Mechas Exist, and the Age of Worldly Claims[/b][/u]

Because of the serious interest in constructs that this world has, there are certain, universal codes of conduct that relate to their existence. The most important of these, and the reason why mechas cannot exist in this world, is, [i]"If it's big enough to topple a building, then it shouldn't exist at all."[/i] Anything larger than a Clydesdale horse is looked down upon, and seen as a monstrosity that needs to be destroyed; those creating these kinds of creatures are usually punished dearly. This is because of the sheer power one can bestow upon a construct; creating something from metal means that you can give a structural soundness that is not found in nature. Make an army of sound constructs as big as an elephant, and set it loose amongst the people, and there might not be much to stop it, save a huge barrage of cannons. It also helps balance out the power in the RP, so that less people are likely to pull something from out of nowhere, and have an unfair advantage over those in the RP.

The Age of Worldly Claims, which we'll say the RP takes place during, is a race for the current nations of the world to claim as much land as they can, and for those seeking independence to make their stronghold in the world. This reflects real-life periods of exploration, such as the Scramble For Africa, and has to do with the new technologies being developed, the resources needed for said technologies, general over-population and sinking living conditions of the current countries, as well as the general want for fame, money and power. It gives the RP a frontier edge to it, and allows slight crossovers into other punk genres, such as cattlepunk. A map will be supplied at this point, in which one can edit in their new territories and existing ones, so that people may not be confused about who owns what in the RP. Keep in mind that one [i]may not[/i] claim land OOCly; one must RP one's claiming of it ICly.

[b][u]The Limits of Cyborgs and Airships[/b][/u]

Airships and cyborgs cannot be made into anything ultra-powerful. Being mechanical in nature, they break down, malfunction, and experience all sorts of other nasty things. Because biological science is still studying the effects of turning organic creatures into cyborgs, the procedures done can backfire, sometimes with fatal results; a human with animatium-fueled innards, for example, might suffer a severe blow, and this causes the animatium to leak into his/her body from cracked parts, severely poisoning him/her. Making something too much of a cyborg will also kill it, as the body can only go through so much modification before it doesn't know what it is anymore. At this point, retardation of the senses and mind sets in, and the body shuts down, resulting in a heart attack and/or brain death.

Giant cyborgs are also looked down upon for the sheer number of resources they consume. The modification of their bodies into cyborgs is not a clean and easy process. It can be messy and potentially fatal, and cause much suffering for any giant being who undergoes it. Furthermore, the larger a creature is, the less it will respond to parts fuelled by animatium; there is just too much mass for the animatium to fuse the cyborg parts properly with a creature. Sure, you could up the dosage, but animatium is rare enough as it is, and the amount needed to affect something varies wildly. You could up the dosage to a "reasonable" amount, and accidentally end up the death of something. One day, it is hoped that this can be avoided, but not in the current timeline.

I'm also going to be realistic with airships here. While this RP has a fantasy element to it, please remember that the laws of physics are in play. You cannot run an airship without a plausible (in this world, at least) reason for it to float; making it float on a magic invisible dragon, for example. An airship that was made to look like a dragon, however, and could plausibly fly, is acceptable.

Edited by Cybil de Blanc

[b][u]Creating Your Own Flora and Fauna[/b][/u]

RPer-created flora and fauna are not allowed in the RP, for the sake of realism and so that nothing unfair is tried, like a cure-it-all herb only available in an RPer's country. However, because of the expedition-based nature of some parts of the RP, I will allow one's characters to "discover" any flora and/or fauna not known to man in the early 20th century. This will require research, and sources are expected if one "discovers" anything, so the other RPers know it's the real deal, and not some made-up fairy tale. Also, please don't try to find everything under the sun at once; realistically, it can take a very, very long time for a local area's ecosystem to be mapped out. Hundreds of species may be found in a year nowadays, but try to imagine what looking for critters might have been like back then, without all these fancy gadgets we have now to allow us to go where man had not gone before. For example, the deep places of the ocean - where beasts such as gulper eels and angler fish live - require specialized sea-faring craft, for they are high-pressure areas that would squash humans like a bug.

All of this, of course, does not apply to constructs and cyborgs. They are mechanically-created beings, and as such, their creators may shape them in any way said creator sees fit.

[b][u]Creating Your Own Ethnic Groups[/u][/b]

Creation of fictional ethnic groups is entirely permitted, as the RP revolves around fictional countries. No, they may not be octopi-human hybrids with cat ears and tails, but if you wanted to have a race that was a mix of Lakotah Indian and British culture, then by all means, go ahead!

This also applies to cultures and subcultures.

[b][u]Genetic Engineering[/u][/b]

Genetic engineering does not exist. Genetics and all that makes up life is still being researched by the period's biologists. You can breed hybrid creatures that exist in real life - ligers (lion/tiger hybrids) and zorses (horse/zebra hybrids), for example, as well as any flower hybrids you can get in real life - but no using genetic technology to make frog-turkey-chicken-bear monstrosities and what-not.

[b][u]Nuclear Weapons[/b][/u]

As far as this timeline is concerned, nuclear weapons are still being researched, but no working bombs have yet been put in place. This is due to a stronger interest in animatium and its properties, as none of the other known elements have the power to bring something to life. This is also to make sure nuking a nation is not an easy, spur-of-the-moment idea, and besides, nuclear weapons weren't used until WWII, even if the plans were in place. However, if an RPer's character is interested in researching the possibility of nuclear weapons, then by all means, have them do such.

Edited by Cybil de Blanc

[b][u]Inventing Your Own Technology[/b][/u]

In an RP like this, this is really a no-brainer. The entire storyline focuses on innovation and creation; of course you can go out and invent things! Let your mind soar (but not too far, as to break realism) and shape the story of the world through [i]your[/i] words and characters! The guidelines are merely to give you the tools you need to play in this world. Let the keyboard do the talking! The sky is the limit - quite literally!

[b][u]Creating Your Own Languages[/u][/b]

Creation of one's own languages is allowed. Whether it's a pidgin amongst one's own mechanics, or a French dialect with German and Maori influences, I have no qualms with languages made up by the RPers. This can also be used to justify any names you give your characters (see [i]Naming Conventions[/i] below).

[b][u]Naming Conventions[/b][/u]

While this is an Alternate History fiction world, please keep in mind that names ranging from "Tadacaelisholanfrythagrah" to "Midnyte Geode Azuregate" might be considered a bit out there. While one could easily just wave the metaphorical hand and say, "Parents thought it was good," other explanations have the potential to make a character even more interesting than he/she already might be if you choose a crazy name. For example, what if "Midnyte's" name was actually a secret code, related to an organization she worked for? If that was the case, then a whole new dash of flavour is added to "Midnyte's" character.

But in all seriousness, consider taking a look at real-life names first. This is Alternate History, after all, and a character is not made less plain if her name is Jane, and she happens to be a strong female mechanic who is a role model to her crew. Although one can play around with meanings and real-life naming quirks, such as giving a character a numerology-based name, sometimes even the most simply-named characters can turn out to be life-changing figures. Examples include Harry Truman, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Steve Irwin, Ann Boleyn, etc......

[b][u]"Perfect" Characters[/b][/u]

While I do encourage RPers of this universe to use their imaginations, overtly "perfect" characters are not usually tolerated in stories of any kind, including RPs. The steampunk/clockpunk world is the world of the dirty and grimey; the human condition and the flaws of mankind [i]are[/i] two driving points of this genre. If one is going to join the RP, one should make characters that are real and believable, even if they happen to be one of the "magical" beings of CNRP, such as a construct or an elemental.

If one wants to avoid falling into the trap of a perfect character, look up the term "Mary Sue". Then, when one knows what that term refers to, look up guides on making believeable characters. The various Mary Sue tests online are two places to start, and www.tvtropes.org and Wikipedia have large lists on literary devices and characterization, all for one's brain to absorb and to teach one how to write a good story.

Edited by Cybil de Blanc

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: Note, this is not done yet; this is only the first part of the military rules.

[center]- === -[/center]

[b][u]Military and Wars[/u][/b]

The military of this world is subject to favouritism and corruption. Anyone who is not a commissioned officer is usually treated as cannon fodder - [i]especially[/i] the enlisted men - and even then, it's usually the very upper crust (read: the Generals) who are treated the best. Nukes and cruise missiles do not exist, meaning one can't just obliterate another nation, and modern medicine is limited - at the most - to the 1939/1940 time period. I'll allow for a few anachronisms, such as those considering antibiotics and painkillers, but no super-powered, super-modern gear.

The Steam & Cog campaign follows the rules of regular war roleplay in CNRP. However, if one wishes to have non-tank, non-naval, non-aircraft machines (such as "worker bots"), one must add up one's in-game machinery (tanks, aircraft, naval, etc.) and divide by two. This is how many non-standard in-game machines one is allowed to have that are used in a military setting. Cyborgs do not count.

[b]And that should be that. :) I realize this guide probably needs a good proofreader, but I'll get to that later. Feel free to start the Steam & Cog Campaign; if one wants to designate that an RP is an official S&C RP, just put "SCNRP" in the secondary topic title, "Steampunk World RP", "Steam & Cog", and etc. Feel free to post any and all questions pertaining to this guide below - use the old thread for your OOC.[/b]

Edited by Cybil de Blanc