Norse/Dane-Norwegian/Novgorodian Summit

loannes

Two messengers were sent out from Nizhny Novgorod. One took to a ship and set sail towards Denmark-Norway. The other road for Estland. They each held a message.

To the Head of State of Denmark-Norway

The King of Novgorod invites you to a summit in Nizhny Novgorod to discuss relations between us.

Signed,
King Vasily I

To Valgard the Tall

I request that you come to a meeting in Nizhny Novgorod, or send a representative able to sign treaties. The leader of Denmark-Norway will be there.

Signed,
King Vasily I

PS. Don't kill the man while he's here.

King Sven Forkbeard would receive the message and set out by longship for Novgorod immediately, along with a small compliment of soldiers, meant only for rowing the ship for extra speed. He would make all haste to arrive.

==Fast Forward==

Once upon Russia soil, King Sven would ride towards the capital (Landed in the St. Petersburg area) with three of his most trusted aids. Once there, he was shown his way into the chambers within which the meeting would be held.

OOC: Just wanted to get him there.

Valgard laughed heartily when the message was sent. "So, Denmark-Norway wants to be friends with us, eh?" I'll give the Jesus-freaks a chance this time," he said to nobody in particular. He put the letter in the incinerator next to him and then yelled to Erik, "Erik, get your $@! in here! I've got a mission for you!"

Erik strode quickly into the throne room. "Yes my lord."

"Erik, your sixteenth birthday is in three days, you can call me father now, you'll be a prince, or so much a prince as our culture allows."

Erik smiled, he remembered. "Yes father," it felt good to say it, "What is it?"

"We're going to Novgorod, so you can learn part of what I do. We're going on a diplomatic mission to meet the Jesus-freaks from the fjords."

"Are we killing them?"

"Ah, you're learning m'boy. Sadly no, we're going to be friends with them. Soon, you'll get your chance to kill."

Erik smiled, "when do we leave?"

"Today. I'll need a new squire, so your duty is to hunt one down and have him bring me my horse and get you one until we find you a steed fit for a prince. Go now, and find a good boy."

-----

Once Erik found what his dad was looking for, the both of them left with some high guard soldiers for Novgorod.

Once Erik found what his dad was looking for, the both of them left with some high guard soldiers for Novgorod.

Vasily sighed impatiently. "If there was only a way to speed this up."

OOC: Fast forward

IC: "Ah, welcome, friend," King Vasily said to Valgard, clasping his hand. Vasily II stood behind him, sizing Erik up. Vasily I turned the the Danish-Norwegian King. "And welcome for the first time, King Forkbeard. I am Vasily I, king of Novgorod. This," he gestured to his heir, "is my son, Vasily II. Now, I'm going to lay out some diplomatic rules; no killing each other. I know you have history, but quite honestly, I don't give a damn." He paused to see how Valgard and Sven reacted to one another.

Vasily sighed impatiently. "If there was only a way to speed this up."

OOC: Fast forward

IC: "Ah, welcome, friend," King Vasily said to Valgard, clasping his hand. Vasily II stood behind him, sizing Erik up. Vasily I turned the the Danish-Norwegian King. "And welcome for the first time, King Forkbeard. I am Vasily I, king of Novgorod. This," he gestured to his heir, "is my son, Vasily II. Now, I'm going to lay out some diplomatic rules; no killing each other. I know you have history, but quite honestly, I don't give a damn." He paused to see how Valgard and Sven reacted to one another.

Sven worked to keep his disdain hidden. This was no place for that, especially when he saw this as a chance to mend the schism between to cultures that should be brothers. Sven wore typical clothes of a Viking, laden with furs and skins. Indeed, other than the religious change, his culture was still very much centered upon the principles it had been before.

"'Tis good to finally visit this fair country, our neighbor. Though, admittedly our border is quite small," he jested. He made every effort, and sincere they were, to be warm to both his host and fellow guest.

He then turned to the Estlanders. "Well, call me what you will, the same blood flows through our veins. If you wish to deny that because of a simple religious difference, so be it. We are here because past is past and we can both benefit from moving on."

Edited by Cody Seb

"If the Jesus-freak wants to be nice, we'll be nice also," Valgard commented with a smirk.

Vasily snapped his fingers at Valgard. "Please don't use that term here. I am also Christian, albeit a different sect. You may, however, refer to the Catholics as some form of Virgin Mary freaks, if you must use the term 'freak' at all."

Sven worked to keep his disdain hidden. This was no place for that, especially when he saw this as a chance to mend the schism between to cultures that should be brothers. Sven wore typical clothes of a Viking, laden with furs and skins. Indeed, other than the religious change, his culture was still very much centered upon the principles it had been before.

"'Tis good to finally visit this fair country, our neighbor. Though, admittedly our border is quite small," he jested. He made every effort, and sincere they were, to be warm to both his host and fellow guest.

"Now that we've established we won't be breaking out into war-causing murder, let's get down to business. Gentlemen, what are your thoughts on a 'united' Scandinavia?"

Edited by Drakedeath

Valgard grinned and chuckled. "I was only joking, friend." Erik's embarassment was obvious, but he tried to hide it from his father. Valgard looked at Sven. "To me, religion isn't a problem. To my people, yes, it's a problem when Christianity rears it's head. There have been far too many problems with the Pope and all his problems with Odinism." He grinned. "I'd be glad to see a united Scandinavia with us."

Valgard grinned and chuckled. "I was only joking, friend." Erik's embarassment was obvious, but he tried to hide it from his father. Valgard looked at Sven. "To me, religion isn't a problem. To my people, yes, it's a problem when Christianity rears it's head. There have been far too many problems with the Pope and all his problems with Odinism." He grinned. "I'd be glad to see a united Scandinavia with us."

Sven smiled at this, "Grand, for I have no love of the Pope either. We are a Lutheran nation, a Protestant denomination, thereby a protest of the Catholic Church. I will say, that if your people are threatened by our religion, we will make efforts to ease their concern. And no, I do no mean conversion." He laughed at this last part to assure the others it was lighthearted.

"The Popes tend to be elected by how insane they are towards other religions. Our Patriarch is much more tolerant; he was even willing to allow us to sign an NAP with the Muslims and Norse."

Sven smiled at this, "Grand, for I have no love of the Pope either. We are a Lutheran nation, a Protestant denomination, thereby a protest of the Catholic Church. I will say, that if your people are threatened by our religion, we will make efforts to ease their concern. And no, I do no mean conversion." He laughed at this last part to assure the others it was lighthearted.

"Mhm," Vasily said. "Anyway, let's get to business. Estland, Novgorod, and Denmark-Norway own a large portion of the Scandinavian peninsula. At this time, Novgorod and Estland hold a treaty of mutual defense and aggression, meaning we essentially act as one in military matters. That leaves that oddly named nation where Sweden once stood, and Denmark-Norway as lone-standing states. For a united Scandinavia, we have a few possibilities." He took out a list.

1. Estland and Novgorod invade Zingara and Denmark-Norway.

"Obviously, we're not doing that."

2. Estland and Novgorod sign MADPs with both Zingara and Denmark-Norway."

"There's no Zingaran representative, so no."

3. Estland and Novgorod sign MADP with Zingara and invade Denmark-Norway."

"This is obviously a no."

4. Estland and Novgorod sign MADP with Denmark-Norway and invade Zingara.

"And here's what I thought to be the best of choices. Rumors have floated around Finland that Zingara attempted to steal the wealth of Finland from Novgorod and Estland. Denmark-Norway has wronged Estland, true, but they have also helped them in that they found the Baltic to rule.

My proposition is for the three of us to sign a three-way MADP, and, if agreeable, conquer and divide Zingara. Only then will true peace be over Scandinavia. Are you in favor?"

"The Popes tend to be elected by how insane they are towards other religions. Our Patriarch is much more tolerant; he was even willing to allow us to sign an NAP with the Muslims and Norse."

"Mhm," Vasily said. "Anyway, let's get to business. Estland, Novgorod, and Denmark-Norway own a large portion of the Scandinavian peninsula. At this time, Novgorod and Estland hold a treaty of mutual defense and aggression, meaning we essentially act as one in military matters. That leaves that oddly named nation where Sweden once stood, and Denmark-Norway as lone-standing states. For a united Scandinavia, we have a few possibilities." He took out a list.

1. Estland and Novgorod invade Zingara and Denmark-Norway.

"Obviously, we're not doing that."

2. Estland and Novgorod sign MADPs with both Zingara and Denmark-Norway."

"There's no Zingaran representative, so no."

3. Estland and Novgorod sign MADP with Zingara and invade Denmark-Norway."

"This is obviously a no."

4. Estland and Novgorod sign MADP with Denmark-Norway and invade Zingara.

"And here's what I thought to be the best of choices. Rumors have floated around Finland that Zingara attempted to steal the wealth of Finland from Novgorod and Estland. Denmark-Norway has wronged Estland, true, but they have also helped them in that they found the Baltic to rule.

My proposition is for the three of us to sign a three-way MADP, and, if agreeable, conquer and divide Zingara. Only then will true peace be over Scandinavia. Are you in favor?"

"Aye," replied Sven, simply.

"Good. Here is the treaty." Vasily placed a quill, ink, and a scroll on the table. The scroll read...

Preamble
The Kingdom of Novgorod, Kingdom of  Denmark-Norway, and the Viking Kingdom of Estland, recognizing their cultural bonds, hereby sign this pact of alliance.

Article I. Non-Aggression
None of the signing nations is to engage in any act that could, in any way, harm the other. This includes funding rebels and foes, spying, and war.

Article II. Mutual Defense
Should any signatory come under attack by a third part, the other is required to come to their aid, militarily.

Article III. Aggression
Should any signatory find it necessary to declare war, the other is required to declare war in assistance.

Article IV. Scandinavia
The signatories agree to engage in any means necessary to unite Scandinavia under the Estlandic, Novgorodian, and Dane-Norwegian banners, including war.

Article V. Cancellation
Should any signatory wish to cancel this treaty, it requires 5 days prior notice to the other signatory, during which time the treaty will remain in effect.

Signed for the Kingdom of Novgorod,
King Vasily I

Signed for the Viking Kingdom of Estland,
Valgard the Tall
Prince Erik

Signed for the Kingdom of Denmark-Norway,
King Sven Forkbeard

Edited by Drakedeath

Erik pulled a scroll from his pouch and spread it out on the table. "I'm a budding cartographer myself, and I took the liberty of making a map of how we would divide Scandinavia." Valgard nodded.

"Since I am more interested in mainland conquests than Scandinavia at this time, I figured dividing it between the two of you would be best."

swedendivided.png

Edited by VinceSixx

Erik pulled a scroll from his pouch and spread it out on the table. "I'm a budding cartographer myself, and I took the liberty of making a map of how we would divide Scandinavia." Valgard nodded.

"Since I am more interested in mainland conquests than Scandinavia at this time, I figured dividing it between the two of you would be best."

swedendivided.png

"This is agreeable," Vasily said.