Jump to content

Bantu Civil War


Recommended Posts

After more than a week of arguing the Bantu government was going to hold the final day dedicated to passing a new bill to prevent another University massacre. The hope was that this bill would bring the rallies to an end after President Tendai Afolayan again refused to step down but many knew it was too little, too late. The President and his ministers were absent yet again, having left the city entirely after multiple death threats were received.


The arguments were soon derailed once again as people turned to blaming the President and calling for him to step down while others defended him. As the arguments entered their second hour one set of doors opened and a man walked in, everyone stopped to stare at the man as he walked towards the centre of the room. The man proceeded to look around the room before opening his jacket to reveal an explosive vest. The members of parliament immediately turned to run to the doors behind them only for them to open and reveal a second bomber, within a second the suicide bombers exploding, destroying the entire room along with a large portion of the building. Within seconds the only remaining government of the Bantu Republic were the President and his ministers.


Within hours small militia groups began to form around the country and began small armed clashes with the government forces but were being consistently defeated due to the extensive use of M48 Pattons, artillery, and air strikes by Su-17s by the government forces.

Edited by jeff744
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While government forces were initially very successful against the militia groups, the government began moving equipment into Maputo which was the home to the largest amount of fighting. After gathering equipment for a week General Roberto Rodrigues was ordered by President Afolayan to begin suppressing all rebel elements in the regions surrounding Maputo. However, instead of following orders general Rodrigues declared the current Bantu government illegitimate and began a military coup, immediately capturing the capital city Maputo. His forces rapidly expanded to capture everything north to Elephantes and the Rio Lampopo.


Over the course of the week the government took to move forces into Maputo the AL muharrir led by Ebrahim Abujamal began taking control of northern Mozambique by absorbing other Islamic militias in the region, as a result they captured numerous towns and small cities as government forces withdrew to the city of Pemba to regroup. The Christian Warriors began in large force to the northwest of Tete, uniting with other militia to conquer the entire region as the military regrouped. Both groups were beginning preparations for attacking the major local cities. As a result the more business savvy leaders were beginning to make inquiries in other nations regarding the trade of resources for weapons. 


Other small militia groups continued to rebel against the Bantu government but the forces were successful at controlling them due to the lack of organization.


Legend: From here on


Military: Blue

Christians: Green

Islamic: Yellow

Government: No colour (will add one when they have an established territory)



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Government forces continue to retreat to major cities in an attempt to reorganize in the wake of the military coup. Small airstrikes have remained successful in suppressing the smaller groups but now all strike forces are accompanied by a large number of Mig-21s due to the new threat of the coup forces which have begun to make use of their own airstrikes against the cities of Xai-Xai and Chibuto. The new defensive forces have become centred in Beira, Quelimane, and Nacala and are now preparing for their offensives against the rebellion.


The military forces began their bombardment Xai-Xai at midnight, launching artillery shells using 1,200 Ordnance QF 25-pounder howitzers to level entire neighbourhoods before the locals could react. More precise strikes were launched by Su-17s carrying 250kg UGBs and rocket pods. While the forces had been prepared for an attack the scale and rapidness of the strike combined with the fact the forces knew the main regions to strike caused massive casualties to the government forces before they could react. By the end of the night 2,300 soldiers and 4,000 civilians were killed, an additional 38 M48 Pattons were destroyed. At dawn the government forces entered the city along with M48 Pattons began gradually taking control of the city. Other forces took advantage of the withdrawn government troops to advance through Guija and Mabalane.


Meanwhile AL muharrir began their attack on Pemba, making extensive use of guerrilla tactics as they ambushed foot patrols before retreating. The local forces mounted a major offensive along Highway 106 but were stopped when a car drove into their formation from Avenido Do Chai and exploded, destroying 7 tanks completely and killed 50 soldiers. This offensive was then forces back as the guerrilla forces detonated an IED near the front of the offensive, destroying another 3 tanks. This was followed by the guerrilla forces firing on the formation from multiple locations surrounding the formation, facing a retreat which ultimately cost another tank and 76 soldiers. making use of the oceanfront some groups began taking control of the numerous boats and launched in the direction of the Comoros Islands.


Christian forces began their infiltration of Tete and quickly discovered that with the exception of a force guarding the Tete Suspension Bridge the eastern side of the city had been abandoned and the forces concentrated on the west side. The militia soon began to attack the western defensive force, hoping to capture the bridge intact and were successfully able to overwhelm the defensive forces but were pushed back when reinforcements arrived from the west side. Simultaneously the western militia began their own movements, capturing the far western part of the town but the defensive forces of the city had burned the fields separating the two parts of the city leaving a massive kill zone for the defenders. Instead of stopping to take full control of the city a number of militia followed Highway 103 and continued south while the siege continued.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Government forces have launched their offensives but have yet to arrive at their destinations. The force from Nacala prepared to launch their offensive along Highway 106 in an attempt to relieve the forces at Pemba and Montepuez. The force at Quelimane would travel along Highway 103 to recapture Changara and force the Christian north of the Mazoe river. The force from Beira would follow Highway EN1 to recapture Xai-Xai.


The military continued to advance through the city of Xai-Xai, consistently defeating the government forces before finally opening a path to continue past the city. The government forces took advantage of this and quickly captured the city of Chidenguele with no resistance. The western force continued to advance along the highways and was able to capture the city of Mepuze. A small force was launched to ile Europa to secure the island in preparation for the attack on Madagascar.


Islamic forces were able to make the largest gains of all the forces after continuing to advance west and taking Marrupa. They were also able to land on numerous islands between Mozambique and Madagascar, reaching as far east as Iles Glorieuses, taking full control of the local governments with the intent of using the regions as a launching point against Madagascar. Within Pemba the advance of Al muharrir was frozen trying to cross the Avenida Eduardo Mondlane where the government forces had established their defensive lines and become heavily entrenched. Attempts to attack were consistently repulsed by the remaining tanks and response forces resulting in massive losses for little gain. Attempt to land on the beaches were complete failures with every attempt ending with the rebels dead before reaching shore. As a result the forces changed from attacking the point to containing it and preventing any form of naval relief by launching boats to block access to the harbour, planning to wait until supplies ran out.


Christian forces were able to capture Changara and Doa as they continued to advance. The attack on Tete continued to yield no results as the defending forces were able to make use of the massive kill zones with the fields and the bridge provided, leaving the militia to adopt the same tactic as the Islamic forces and began waiting for the city to run out of supplies. Word of a small affiliated militia group launching towards Juan de Nova Island reached the Christain group but they knew there was nothing they could do in the event the attack failed.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

The government offensive from Nacala was almost immediately met with strong resistance as they passed the Mecuburi River as they entered land filled with ridges and small brushes making it an optimal location for the Islamic forces to defend against. Every attempt to advance resulted in large casualties unless the attack was led by tanks, but this was temporary as the Islamic forces would circle around the tanks and begin attacking the infantry behind them. Use of the highway was nearly impossible as the militia had managed to raid an armoury and had placed numerous mines. The forces from Beira met the military forces in Quissico, the ensuing clash drove both forces to a complete halt as any attempt to advance was met by equivalent forces. Fearing military reinforcements the government troops withdrew to Inharrime and established defensive positions along the shorelines and requested government reinforcements. The offensive from Quelimane was far more successful than the other groups and were able to fully accomplish their goals as a result of the garrison at Tete abandoning the defence of the city after government air strikes destroyed the Tete suspension bridge. The garrison commandeered almost every vehicle in the city and were able to break through the attacker's lines and force their way Changara, the ensuing battle was able to force the Christian forces north of the Mazoe river. Instead of continuing to advance the force began to build up the defences of the city of Changara and prepared to defend the line until more forces arrived. At Pemba the news that rescue would likely never arrive resulted in the defending commander choosing to load the sole container ship in port with all the equipment it could possibly hold and destroy the rest before loading the men onto the ship and attempting an escape, as a result the defenders began gradually pulling back the front line to maintain defensive capabilities.


Islamic forces continued to siege the forces at Pemba, gradually advancing as the lines moved by making no effort to push the lines. At Montepuez they had managed to surround the entire city and began to engage in guerrilla attacks against the defenders. The Islamic forces also became the first ones to land on Madagascar, taking Maromandia and the surrounding area almost effortlessly after evading the government defensive forces at Nosy Be and Ananatava.


Christian forces continued to move south east, taking control of the various abandoned cities along the way. The main offensive occurred in Malawi as the Christians took advantage of the fleeing refugees to hide their own soldiers, allowing them to begin attacking the defenders across the country before they could react, resulting in the small garrisons outside of the main cities being either eliminated or isolated from other forces, allowing the Christians to take control of a large portion of the countryside.The small militia that launched towards Juan de Nova Island were able to take control of the island but were almost immediately under attack by government air strikes.


The government forces finished taking control off the Limpopo river after the small garrison at Mapai changed sides. In Xai-Xai the government forces were able to eliminate the remaining resistance of government forces, taking full control of the city, the forces were redirected to Chibuto where a new siege was beginning to occur. After meeting the government forces as Quissico the military forces gradually follow the withdrawal of the government forces to Inharrime where they waited. The next advance would occur after the forces attacking Chibuto finished with the city and could sweep around to attack the city from the north side. The small detachment of forces to Ile Europa were able to take control of the island and began preparing their attacks on Madagascar.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

OOC: Just doing a large multi-day post due to the long absence




The government forces from Nacala continued to defend the region as the Islamic rebels continued to use guerilla attacks to cause a war of attrition against the forces. After holding their positions for several days the first Islamic attack on the rear of the force occurred as the Islamic forced made use of their control over the region to cross the river outside of the front lines and circle around. Despite the heavy casualties the government forces were able to inflict on their attackers the government force was steadily losing ground and fatigue was beginning to take hold as the force of 50,000 men was gradually reduced to 35,000. Fearing the complete annihilation of the army an order was sent for the offensive force to retreat to Nacala to regroup.  Unfortunately the order came late and as a result Nacala was already under siege by the time the force arrived, prompting a change in orders to abandon the city and retreat to Nampula to gather the garrison and fall back to Quelimane, northern Mozambique was lost.


At the same time the force in Pemba finally completed loading the cargo ship and destroying the equipment, while they were able to escape the blockade the Islamic forces had made use of RPGs to punch multiple holes in the ship, causing it to list an decelerate enough that the Islamic boats could follow it and continue to fire on the ship as it retreated. This continued until air support from Mahajanga was able to destroy several boats and force the others to retreat. By the end of the battle the defensive forces of Pemba had been reduces from 5,000 men, 10 M48 Pattons, and 30 QF-25s to 1,100 men, 1 M48 and 20 QF-25s.


The force from Beira was even worse off; despite being given double the forces of any other group it was unable to secure a victory against a similarly equipped enemy force. As the forces continued to wait at Inharrime they were unaware of the fact that the military faction was moving to surround them. By the time the military faction was noticed they had taken control of Inhambe from the reduced garrison. As the military factions continued to get closer multiple smaller fights were being fought but the government forces were being steadily forced back. Within a week the force was completely surrounded and retreat was impossible. As the fighting intensified the force began to experience multiple desertions every night, one night losing over 5,000 men to desertion as the force lost hope. Two weeks after being surrounded the commander of the force officially surrendered, bringing an end to the government control of the region south of the Save river. The government losses consisted of 100,000 soldiers, 1,800 M48 Patton, and 1,000 QF-25s. The only saving point for the government forces was that the attacks were equally costly to the military faction, leaving them with little equipment.


The forces in Beira continued to fortify the southern parts of the rivers, repelling all attempts to cross, leaving the rivers an impassable barrier for the Christian forces.

With Madagascar’s forces almost completely depleted due to the Mozambique offensives the government faction was almost powerless as the military and Islamic factions spread onto the island and began to solidify their hold. In response the government members abandoned the city and relocated to Beira, one of the only cities with a large garrison.




                Islamic forces took full advantage of the retreating government troops to rapidly expand their holdings before finally meeting the Christian rebels south of Lichinga, fighting almost immediately broke out between the two groups. The forces were still able to seize a large area north of the Monapo River, resulting in them dominating a large portion of northern Mozambique. Taking advantage of the reduced forces in Madagascar the Islamic forces rapidly expanded to control the northern portion of the island.




The Christian forces also took advantage of the power vacuum to explode eastward in their expansion, soon controlling everything west of Gurue and some land to the east. Most fighting of the group now occurring with the Islamic faction.




                With the defeat of the southern Bantu army the military forces were able to advance north unopposed until they reached the Save River where the government forces had dug in, leaving no chances to circle around the force. The freezing of the border in Mozambique allowed the military forces to turn their attention to Madagascar where they now began to funnel men and the remaining equipment onto the island with the intention of making use of that power vacuum to conquer the island and expel the Islamic forces before they were able to solidify control over the area.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...