Arstotzka's immigrants feel the sting of strict new legislation.

President Costava

arstotzka3.jpg

ARSTOTZKA - Proponents of Arstotzka's new anti-immigration laws say they are a much-needed response to a serious problem, but critics say they recall the policies of the communist regime, reports the newspaper "Truth of Arstotzka" in Grestin City.

"The life that I'm living in Arstotzka is very poor. I don't have documents. In Arstotzka, if you don't have documents, you are nothing - you are an empty vessel." George - not his real name - is a 24-year-old immigrant who came to Arstotzka a few months ago. He crossed the sea from Turkmenistan in a small boat, along with 25 other people. They crossed the caucasian union and then landed in Arstotzka. He claimed asylum. But George's claim, along with the majority of asylum seekers who land on Arstotzka's shores, was rejected.

Since then, he has been living illegally in the suburbs of the city of Grestin, struggling to survive under Arstotzka's increasingly tough policy on illegal immigrants. We see that policy in action as we pass an internet cafe near the hostel where he is staying. Four policemen enter the cafe and single out those of foreign descent, asking to check their official documents "Papers, please." they say. "They're in here three or four times a week looking for people without papers," George says.

Arstotzka has come under fire from groups as diverse as the Arstotzka Human Rights Commission for its strict new anti-immigration laws, which were passed early this months.

Under the legislation, illegal immigrants are liable to pay a fine of 1000 Roubless and can now be detained by the authorities for up to six months. In addition, people who knowingly house undocumented migrants can now face up to three years in prison. The new law also permits the formation of unarmed citizen patrol groups to help police keep order. The Arstotzka Human Rights Comission is investigating the new laws to see if they comply with the Constitution of the Republic of Arstotzka.

"Arstotzka is absolutely not a racist country. We just want to be sure that the immigrants who arrive on our land want to be here to work, not to make crimes. There are legal ways to become an immigrant and we are not going to amend our laws in order to promote or de-criminalise illegal immigration. We firmly defend our borders and costantly monitor the influx of immigrants. This is not racism, this is just enforcing the law." says Prime Minister Leonid Kuchma of the National Party of Arstotzka "Illegal immigrants in Arstotzka who have no visa are unable to get a job".

Prime Minister Kuchma, whose government majority ushered the new law through the People's Assembly, firmly believes Arstotzka is facing an emergency. With nearly 1000 immigrants arriving on their shores last months, mostly via land and boats from Asia, many Arstotzkans agree.

"There are too many people. You see in the city, on the streets in Grestin, hundreds of immigrants, I think," says one man from Grestin, who did not want to give his name. "I want to help people who are poorer than me, but I want to know where they come from and what they are going to do," says Ludmila, a 23-year-old National Party supporter. "It is better if they come here legally."

According to the Arstotzka Human Rights Commission, Arstotzka's new laws could be the beginning of "a catastrophic phase" for not only migrants but also Arstotzkan citizens. "This law really alters the landscape by criminalising the violation," a spokesperson says. Critics of the new citizen patrol groups have staged protests in Grestin City. "In the past you were in violation of the law. That doesn't mean you were a criminal. This law means if you break the law, now you are considered a criminal. That's a big deal."

Mr Kuchma readily admits that almost no illegal immigrants would be able to pay a 1000 Roubles fine. In fact, he says, that is the point. "If they have already been arrested for something before, if they don't pay the fine, we will have recidivism." Kuchma says.

The immigrant will have made two "mistakes", and "so then we can make the expulsion". Arstotzka issues very few visas to people who are already living in the country, and demand for work permits from potential immigrants greatly outstrips supply. It quickly becomes a tricky situation - illegal immigrants who have no visa are unable to get a job; those without a job are unable to get a visa.

As a result, both illegal and legal migrants have become an increasingly obvious presence on the streets of Arstotzkan cities. At night, groups of men from across Africa, the Arab world and Asia roll out sleeping bags and cardboard boxes in Arsotzka's squares. By day, they get by however they can - some by selling fake designer handbags or toys, some by stealing. 

"I don't have a job. I can't go to the hospital if I am sick," he says. Beside him in the hostel's courtyard, a disparate group of migrants from as far away as Afghanistan and Bangladesh pass the time playing cards. "The Arstotzkan Coast Guard rescued me in the sea. If they didn't want me they shouldn't have rescued me," George adds.

Mr Kuchma defends the law and the efforts of the government to crack down on illegal immigration "It is in their interest to be legal immigrants and we simply cannot condone a criminal action, even if this criminal action is up to moral debates within society and the critics of the Arstotzka Human Rights Commission. Nobody is above the law, and Arstotzka always comes first in the Government's agenda. My job as Prime Minister of Arstotzka is to ensure that laws are enforced. Glory to Arstotzka." he said.

image_1_-_papers_please.jpg

Edited by President Costava

Statement from the Ministries of Immigration and Integration and Foreign Affairs of the Athenian Federation

The Athenian Federation is highly disturbed by messages coming out of Arstotzka, in line with the general and inherent obligations of all states we hereby announce that the Athenian state will pay the fines for those affected under these oppressive laws and will provide funds to those deemed 'illegal' so they can cross to the Federation and establish a living here.