I hear Para is nice this time of year!

ChairmanMeow

[url=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/ChairmanMeow1122/media/nationflag_zpse4714e45.png.html][/URL]

To: Republica Do Para

Subject: Trade partnership

Classification: Private

The people of Zulia would love to invite you to our capital for discussions on a possible opening of trade and relations between our nations. We will supply the funds for your trip to our nation and your stay here, alternatively if you wished us to come to you that would be acceptable as well. Whatever is most convenient. I do hope that you accept the invitation for talks, and that they end up fruitful. 

It was about time Isabel acquainted herself with some of the newly risen nations throughout South America that had secured independence in recent months.

It seemed almost, if she could be forgiven for venturing such a term, an epidemic of independence-- Zulia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Venezuela-- all the sites of independence movements that had rapidly gained ground and birthed newfound South American nations. And to be sure, it was always a good thing when the population of a given region at last secured hard-fought, well-deserved sovereignty. But maybe it was the lingering vestiges of the pessimist in Isabel that reminded her that more sovereign nations meant more potential to fuck up the all too tenuous peace that yet reigned over South America. Old habits die hard, they say. After fifty years of looking at the world through the lens of a cynic and all too often being proven right to do so, maintaining a positive outlook on shit could be a chore for the former colonel turned Paráense premier.

And, had she been the same person she'd been back when she was a soldier, it was wholly probable Izzie woulda decided "Fuck it, these ass holes are gonna fuck this shit up." And left it right at that. Then again, that was the same soldier who'd made an occasional habit of amusing herself by juggling combat knives; Isabel liked to think she'd learned a thing or two since then. One of them was that you really shouldn't try juggling things made to kill people if you have absolutely zero experience juggling anything. And another thing she'd learned, even though she'd fought it every damn step of the way back then, was that you had to give people a chance to show the good before you immediately started lookin' for the bad.

Guess I can just count myself fortunate that it's Premier Vieira going to this meeting and not Colonel Vieira, Isabel mused idly, watching the thick blanket of white cloud stretching out into the distance beneath the plane bearing her towards the Zulian capitol. Of Zulia, she knew admittedly little-- they were, of course, a nascent country, and they had had little time to demonstrate publicly whether they would prove an asset to the South American community... or a liability that needed to be treated as such. That was something Isabel intended to find out in this upcoming discussion.

Edited by dotCom

The diplomat would be met with open arms at the capital building in Zulia. The men and women of Zulia were excited to see another one of their fellow South Americans visit the country in what is being coined as the Zulian age of diplomacy by many of its citizens. A brand new Zulian flag would be sitting atop the capital building waving in the slight ocean breeze as the diplomatic caravan pulled into the gated area. Gonzalez would be standing outside ready to meet the Para diplomat with a wave and as she approached a handshake would be extended out. "Welcome to our country, I trust your travel went well." he pointed he towards the capital building and led to the diplomatic meeting room, a simple table in the middle with a white cloth and both nations flags beside each other. As they sat down he opened the bottle of scotch, poured it into both of the tumblers and offered one to the delegate. "I'm glad you decided to come to our nation on such short notice. The reason we have brought you here is to talk about the opening of trade between our nations. It is our hope that we can develop a relationship from this." he allowed the delegate to speak.

Isabel would have been lying if she'd claimed she wasn't a bit taken aback by the enthusiastic reception she encountered upon arriving at the capitol building-- by the Zulian public, no less. It was certainly a... grand spectacle, on the outside, and not purely for the Zulian citizens who flanked the entry to the capitol building. A vast banner bearing the Zulian flag rippled in the cool breeze high up above the building, and the stately seat of the Zulian government loomed over the towering premier as she approached the man she presumed to be the Zulian Secretary of Foreign Affairs, one Jesus Gonzalez. He extended his hand, and Isabel returned the handshake with a firm grip, nodding in greeting to the secretary. "Welcome to your country," the secretary greeted her. "I trust your travel went well."

"It did," Isabel replied succinctly as they proceeded into the designated meeting room, a vastly simpler affair than what lay outside and therefore much more attuned to the premier's personal preferences. It was, perhaps, one aspect of the military career that succeeded a less than affluent upbringing that she could be grateful for-- that she had never quite managed to fall into the complacent arms of leisure and opulence that she had in her days as a colonel seen so many heads of state fall victim to. No-- she, for her part, remained firmly rooted in a predilection for the simplistic and the straightforward.

They sat at a small table prepared with little more than a white clothe and the banners of the Republic and Zulia, whereupon the Zulian delegate offered a tumbler of scotch which Isabel politely declined with a cordial smile. "I'm glad you decided to come to our nation on such short notice," Gonzalez continued as they proceeded on past the drinks and delved into the discussion. "The reason we have brought you here is to talk about the opening of trade between our nations. It is our hope that we can develop a relationship from this."

"And I've come because Zulia is one of several nations that has in the past few months succeeded in achieving sovereignty," Isabel replied evenly. "For which I offer congratulations and goodwill. It's always more than pleasing to see the people of South America exercising their right to self-determination, though it is also necessary to ensure newcomers to our continent pursue a policy conducive to a cooperative, peaceful South America. And I doubt there's any better way to get a handle on what role a nation is destined to play in the annals of South American history and community than a face to face meeting with those who forge its foreign policy. So, for that reason, before we begin any definitive economic discussions, allow me to put a question to you, Mr. Gonzalez: where does Zulia see itself in South America-- what are its aspirations, its goals, its intents for itself, the continent, and the world?"

Gonzalez was surprised by the bold question presented to him by Isabel. "A very good question indeed madam" he paused to take a sip of his drink and continued. "Being a small nation in South America, our policies are internal, we do not see our selves as anything other than that. Of course we do what we can to help the SAO out in certain areas with doctors and volunteers. Our aspirations within the continent are to remain a voice for peace and unity between the nations in the area. South Americas history is full of wars, disagreements and ideological differences. We intend to oppose such things and maintain a voice of peace. As far as the world as a whole we see our selves at a more quiet tone. Really as long as our government is in power we do not see the need to attempt to influence world politics." He paused to allow Isabel to speak, more interested now than ever because she seemed to be more intelligent than the average person.

Isabel perceived what was perhaps a slight note of shock to the secretary's expression for some reason, though he did not hesitate in answering. "A very good question indeed," Gonzalez replied, pausing to drink before he proceeded. "Being a small nation in South America, our policies are internal-- we do not see ourselves as anything other than that. Of course, we do what we can to help the SAO out in certain
areas with doctors and volunteers. Our aspirations within the continent are to remain a voice for peace and unity between the nations in the area. South America's history is full of wars, disagreements and ideological differences. We intend to oppose such things and maintain a voice of peace. As far as the world as a whole we see ourselves at a more quiet tone. Really, as long as our government is in power, we do not see the need to attempt to influence world politics."

"Hm." Isabel seemed to mull over the words briefly, before a minute semblance of a smile pulled at her thin lips. "I think, then, that is a stance shared by our two administrations. South America has indeed seen turbulent times since the days of the Holy American Empire, but Pará has since its inception been dedicated to fostering cooperation with other South American nations, and utilising any means necessary to mitigate elements we feel are not conducive to such aims. For this reason, we've been wary of recent events, namely the rise of several nations in the past year. You may think it paranoid, perhaps, but I feel caution is a necessity in these tenuous times."

Isabel paused, gauging Gonzalez's reaction to the words, before continuing. "I believe an economic agreement is always beneficial, and certainly conducive to the beginnings of cordial relations between two nations. Pará offers much in the way of raw materiels-- zinc, for example, or tungsten, among others. Our mine in the Carajás Mountains alone has produced over two hundred and fifty million metric tons of iron in the past year. So if it's iron, zinc, bauxite, manganese, any such raw materiels that Zulia requires, Pará is more than capable of providing for your country."

Gonzalez was surprised at the development of Paras raw material mining, though it would make sense being the oldest surviving nation in South America at the time. He didn't let his surprise show as he began speaking "Well you certainly have a lot to offer in raw materials, our nation has a large wealth of oil rights within the Zulian bay, we also have a large industrial force. We would be willing to open a trade agreement for some of your raw materials in exchange for oil at a discounted rate. We can refine the oil as well but I am sure you are quite able to do that your selves." he began pulling out documents from companies within Zulia offering their services. "We can also lower trade tariffs for now so as to encourage profitable trade between our nations."