Federation of Southern States

Joel James

The presidential aide walked up to the podium. He pulled out a slip of paper, flattened it out, and laid it against the podium. He cleared his throat, leaned forward, and started speaking.

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Thank you all for coming to witness this historic moment. Before we start celebrating though, the president would like to share a few words with you.”

A man detached himself from a group of armed security men. He was an imposing middle easterner, standing at just over six feet, but had an athletic build. As the aide drew away, the president took his place at the podium. He looked one last time at his aide, and gave a nod of thanks. He looked out at the masses, the people, his people, and cleared his throat before starting his monologue.

“Thank you all for coming here today. For those of you who do not know who I am, my name is Ali Horatio, and I am the interim president for this fine country. Due to the fact that the country is still stabilizing, the council and I will rule this country for the next two years, working to stabilize the country, work on its economy, and rebuild the army. We have found an abandoned weapon research complex, and as we speak, research is going underway to arm our country. Do not think that I am militaristic. I am far from that. I am just getting ready for the worst possible scenario. Right now though, our country is sitting at 15% unemployment. That is nearly four and a half million people out of work right now. We are looking to hire three million for various federal jobs, and some five hundred thousand additional for service in the armed forces. Enough talk on fighting though. I have com here to congratulate you. It is thanks to you, all of you, that I am able to stand before this crowd and give this speech today. It is through our blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice that we are where we are today. You all are the strength in my arms, the protectors of my dreams. I shall never abuse the trust you all have given me. Without further ado, I would like to welcome the new country into the world.”

The president turned to the same aide as before. The aide pulled out a thin, wooden box and handed it to the president. The president took the box and gingerly set it down on the podium. The click of the locks unlocking could be heard. He reached for the lid and gently pulled it open. He reached down, grasped the edge of what was inside, and took it out. After unfolding it many times, he raised his hands holding the item for the entire crowd to see.

“This, this is your flag. This is our flag. As long as this flag flies proudly over us, we shall never be beaten. We shall always rise up and keep fighting, never giving up to save some pain.”

The flag was no more than two square yards, but it was enough. It was a normal looking flag. Thirteen stripes, alternating between red and white . In the upper left corner, there was a blue box with four white large stars, arranged in a diamond pattern. Each star represented each state that belonged to the union--North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. The president took one last look at the flag and said in a loud voice.

“I proudly welcome into life the Federation of Southern States!”

OOC: If for some reason you still don't understand, this is a DoE

[quote]We congratulate our southern neighbors on organizing themselves to the point where self governance is a reality. American Commonwealth troops present for peacekeeping duties will be withdrawn to pave the way for the government of the Federation of Southern States to take over. We would also like to extend an invitation to the Commonwealth proper to discuss future relations between our two nations.

-David T Bronson
[i]President of the American Commonwealth[/i][/quote]

[quote]To: David T Benson

I would love to come to your country to discuss furthering our relations, but I must refrain from doing that for the next few months until my nation has stabilized. I thank you for the compliment to my budding nation

-Ali Horatio
President of the Federation of Southern States[/quote]