An Invitation to Edean

Lestari

To say that Isabel Vieira was just a little anxious would have been the understatement of the age.

Of course, as Premier of a nation she was expected to keep a cool head, and she liked to think she was skilled in regards to maintaining clarity and decisiveness, but this was still her first official meeting with the head of state of another nation. No one could possibly be completely confident in such a situation, surely. Or at least, she repeated this reassuring line to herself as she awaited a responce to the communiqué she had personally written and sent out to the Free Kingdom of Edean.

Initial attempts to garner a sense of cooperation and unity in South America had failed left and right from the onset--undone by pre-existing tensions and secluded alliances. To say nothing of the two wars that had torn across South America in quick succession, one of which had rapidly veered into the usage of nuclear weapons, and Vieira could only hope the one the Umbrella Commonwealth now waged against Gallifrey would not share the same fate. Pará was a small, developing nation--nothing could be done of that in the short term as war and ever-heightening tension gripped South America, and Vieira could not change the fact that a nation viewed as insignificant, fledgling, weak, such a nation could not be seen by others of the continent as an example to follow. And unfortunately, it seemed all the major players of South America were the ones responsible for the fall of continental cooperation--the Commonwealth, having refused to set aside long-held grudges in the interests of peace and welfare, Neo Roma, with its isolationist stance, all but rejecting any proposition in which the Commonwealth did not also participate. None were willing to work towards the peace and cooperation Vieira longed to see in her homeland. As long as they guided the destiny of the continent, she felt, South America's future could not be ascertained as one of prosperity and unity.

And so Vieira turned, however reluctantly, from continent-wide efforts--at least, temporarily. She was not interested in establishing firm alliances with specific nations--that had been the death knell of prior attempts at continent-wide alliance. But at the very least, Vieira sought to reach out to nations she perceived to hold like-minded views concerning South America as a whole--and with this in mind, she contacted the Free Kingdom of Edean, a nation that had previously attempted to organise a summit of all South American nations in the face of continental war and blazing tensions. A summit ultimately defeated before it could even begin by nations profiteering from the war and interested more in advancing their own interests over the interests of peace and prosperity.

[quote]To: Triumvirs Alexander Gildas, Rodolfo Avila, and Vivian Androcles of the Free Kingdom of Edean

Esteemed Triumvirs of the Free Kingdom of Edean,

I hope this communiqué finds you all in good health and spirit, and that all is well with Edean. I wish to take this opportunity to extend an invitation to representatives of Edean to the Paráense capital of Amazônia to discuss the future of relations between our two nations, and to discuss the possibility of encouraging further trade and business between Edean and Pará.

Respectfully,

Isabel Vieira[/quote]

News of the wars end had just broken out in Edean - along with a treaty that opened doors for a more permanent state of peace between all nations of South America.

[quote]To: Premier Isabel Vieira of the República do Pará

Dear Honorable Isabel Vieira:

We would be honored to meet with you at the Paráense capital of Amazônia and we hope that this letter finds you in as great a state of joy over the current state of South American affairs as it finds us. With the end of the war, trade will indeed grow once again and with time, this second recession we have been forced to face so early in our existence will pass, bringing with it, a multitude of fruits to all the people's South America as we can once again trade more freely. The people of Pará are close to our hearts, a glimmer of hope after the last recession, and news of economic growth will certainly be welcomed by everyone from those in the [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=109163&view=findpost&p=2921977"]EEF[/url], to simple farmers in the outskirts of town. It would be an honor to meet with you personally and the Triumvirate itself will arrive if you'd wish, although former Triumvir Androcles has moved on to other joys of life leaving the weight of the Triumvirate to [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=109163&view=findpost&p=2957814"]newly elected Triumvir Alaisteir Evylan[/url] would be happy to take his place if that is what you would like.

If you would give us two weeks, we would like to share this news with a variety of Edean industries so that we can connect our people's better and provide a full display of what our people are working on these days so that our two people's can get together and achieve their dreams.

Sincerely,
The Edean Triumvirate, Rodolfo Avila, Alexander Gildas & Alaisteir Evylan
[/quote]

[quote]To: The Edean Triumvirate

Allow me then to congratulate Triumvir Evylan on his election, and Mr. Androcles on what I understand to be a successful career building a foundation of prosperity and security for the Edean people.

To say your letter finds us in a state of joy as a result of the end of the war would be a significant understatement. With the cessation of hostilities between the two belligerent parties and the signing of their treaty, we feel the atmosphere is now more conducive than it has been in years to forging a South America united in peace and prosperity. Lest I digress, however--I would be most honoured to host the Triumvirate in Amazônia in two weeks. I anticipate the potential progress to be made during the meeting most highly.

Respectfully,

Isabel Vieira[/quote]

[[Go ahead and RP their arrival whenever you like. I had interpreted 'give us two weeks' as saying you would take some measure of time OOC before posting.]]

Edited by dotCom

Unaware of the situation that was soon about to engulf their home territory. The Edean Triumvirate had packed their bags, after having a discussion with a variety of regional businesses. It would be a five hour trip to Para, over an ocean of green that made up the vast rainforest below. While somewhat tired, the group was eagerly looking forward to the meeting - normally, most nations sent ambassadors on such missions, or in the case of a triumvirate, only one of the three leaders. However, the autonomy of the region and the need for all people's within to be properly represented allowed for all three of the Triumvirates to arrive in Para, their various plans and goals in mind.

((OOC: I'll allow you to RP them getting to where-ever they need to go, hotels what not. If a hotel, just a assume one nights rest and then meet up. It's your country, so I'm afraid the RPing of how things look and who we meet is entirely up to you. Also, apologies for being late. I don't want to repeat my mistakes that I made with Amyante though :( ))

A small entourage awaited the Edean Triumvirate. Isabel Vieira had an unfortunate tendency to expect of others what she herself would desire--and thus there was little fanfare involved, much as she would hope were she to venture in an official capacity to another nation. Certainly the Paráense media was not waiting at the site of their arrival to overwhelm them with irrelevant questions, and pervasive inquiries, and all the things media outlets throughout the world were ill-famed for. Vieira had taken steps to ensure their guests would arrive in comfort and ease...at least, as she saw it, which meant that if the Triumvirs gravitated more towards the garish, sensational types of arrival one often expected when the leaders of a more experienced like-minded nation visited a younger hopeful, they would be sorely disappointed. But Vieira intended no disrespect--as she hoped would be evidenced when she herself was to be found accompanying the entourage. She felt it most pretentious, the thought of relaxing contentedly in her office back in the capitol building while the Triumvirate alone travelled to meet her there. No, rather, she would be there to greet the Triumvirs at the airstrip reserved specifically for them at the Amazônia International Airport.

The journey would be relatively quiet, a little motorcade crossing through the slim avenues of Amazônia, passing by charming little shops and cafes, and all different sorts of people going about their daily business. Refreshments would be provided for the Triumvirs if they so desired, or withheld until they arrived at the Capitol Building where the meeting would take place. Isabel made small conversation but said nothing in regards to national relations or politics at this point, wishing instead to give the Triumvirate an opportunity to see Pará's capitol city if they were so inclined to do so. Amazônia was not a large city by any regards, but this did not equate to a city with little to see as the entourage made its way through buildings retaining the old seventeenth century colonial architectural style. At one moment, one could look out the window and see, towering overhead, the grand columns and neoclassical lines of the Theatro da Paz--at another, the still, green waters of the Guamá River. Elsewhere, the great João Goulart monument watched proudly over the motorcade as they neared the Capitol Building, gravitating towards the meeting place.

At length, the entourage arrived at the Capitol Building of the Republic of Pará, and Isabel bid her guests follow her into the designated conference room. Within was to be found a circular table more than accommodating for four people to talk comfortably--neither overtly large nor uncomfortably small for an official visit. The Premier seated herself at the table as the Triumvirs did the same, and directed a smile at the three leaders of the Free Kingdom of Edean. "Welcome, if I may say again, to the Republic of Pará. I hope you have found your stay here thus far to be satisfactory?"

[[Realised I'd clean forgotten to include anything about a hotel at the beginning, and to be frank at the moment I just don't feel a whole lot like reworking the post and working it back in there. Didn't want to let this get held up at all, so hopefully this suffices and if you could kindly suppose the Triumvirs had a stay at one of Pará's finer hotels prior to the events of this post, that'd be great :v]]

Edited by dotCom

"Absolutely", replied Gildas, the rabbit seemingly taking it fully upon himself to become the 'leader' of the three, which naturally became the case given his more dominant personality between Avila and Evylan. "The city of Amazonia is beautiful indeed and the rumors that the future here looks rather bright seem to be true as well. I think we'll be able to accomplish a lot in our discussions today, don't you agree Avila?

Rodolfo Avila, who was probably the closest thing physically to anything Isabel had seen to normal, smiled as he gestured with his hands, showing himself to be a very articulate politician. "To translate Oniru-speak, what Gildas is likely saying is that he sees a ripe opportunity for investment in Para. I certainly agree with him, I've also enjoyed our stay here and the hotel we spent the night at could certainly attract some of the finer class from Edean on vacations or business trips." he then gave a glance at Alastair, as if giving him the go-ahead to speak.

"Well - yes, I mean, I don't wish to turn us into a talking panel, but I would agree with Gildas and Avila, " The Vesari then paused trying to gather his thoughts together, realizing that the hot potato of moving the conversation forward had fallen in his hands, "So how would you describe the quality of life here - has living at the core of the old Lunar Republic helped the standard of living of your people here or have you sort of worked out your own unique culture and started down that path on your own? How would you say the disparity is at the current time between the wealthy and the poor?"

"Perhaps more important to an economic discussion," Gildas interrupted, "Is what are the greatest problems in Para today? If we can ask that question, we might be able to find ways through which Edean businesses can solve those problems and try to build the connections."

Isabel was caught between the two questions--one posited by Triumvir Evylan concerning the standards of living in Pará, another, interrupting Evylan's query, delivered from Alexander Gildas. Isabel was not aware if there was any sort of 'head triumvir' leading the Triumvirate, but by all accounts it seemed Gildas was certainly the most authoritative of the three. Avila, the more animated and expressive of the three leaders, and from Evylan, having only recently been elected into his office, Isabel got the impression of a degree of uncertainty, possibly even anxiety, at least judging from the stammering that preceded his queries. For her own part, her expression remained calm and composed. No, she would allow no anxiety and no uncertainty to stain the first impression of both herself and her nation to foreign visitors.

She chose to address the question posed by Alexander Gildas. "The greatest problem at the moment, as I see it," she spoke slowly, with each word hanging in the air before making way for the next. "would be the worrying levels of unemployment we've seen since independence. It's not urgent, but it's still a problem we're looking to ameliorate before it does become urgent. As you may or may not know, upon granting the Republic independence the Umbrella Commonwealth dismantled and removed the majority of the Lunar Republic's advanced infrastructure and technologies, which needless to say left a void once occupied by the employment opportunities provided. It's been a challenge trying to create the infrastructure necessary to fill that void and replenish those job opportunities."

Gildas nodded in reply to this, but it was Evylan who responded to the question, his own people most familiar with this in Edean. "I can certainly understand where you're coming from, things have been rough in Edean since the last few wars shattered South America repeatedly, the parties having no regard for the consequences of their actions. All we hear from the UC,who was there at the precipitation of both events, are stories of vast wealth and growth. However from your own stories as well as those I've known, whatever wealth they have rarely seems to leave the borders if their state of being is even close to their claims. We've even had problems with starvation among the Vesari, caught between trying to find work and returning to a state of nature and honestly it's hard to bare at the moment."

Gildas then took over from the breath left by Evylan, hoping to lead from the depressing thoughts into the possibility of a brighter future. "So much as that has been true, things aren't entirely as bad as they would seem though. Our military sector, for instance, has flourished amidst the uncertainty - although that only acts to harm the Vesari who may as well be clones of Mahahtma Ghandi in their dedication to non-violence. Our latest endeavors into space will hopefully open up new markets to all of South America if we can secure a new imports and exports with the Lunar Republic, but we've only recently made it to space. Making it to the moon and setting up a trading colony will prove far more difficult... I do think I might have a solution though that might help all parties involved in the meantime."

Gildas took a pause, calculating numbers in his head. He appeared to command significantly greater respect then one would imagine from a 3 foot tall, talking rabbit - practically half of his height being his ears. "At the moment, I'm hearing all the time that the military sector can't get enough employees - the large demand can't be met by a willing supply and so those willing to take the positions can charge whatever outrageous prices they want - independent of their skill. If many of those positions were outsourced, we could greatly increase the skill-sets available and improve the quality of life between our people - utilizing the influx of new ideas from Para to even improve upon designs. Of course, we're mostly talking skilled positions such as programmers, scientists and office positions. The Edean Constitution forbids us from essentially attacking other nations, so you wouldn't have to fear that you're arming your enemies and if you wanted, I'm sure these companies would be more then happy to sell you the same weapons platforms that defend our own freedom, same price - and they're designed for smaller economies like ours, same models and same technologies - there are no rules limiting their export during peace times, so it might be something to consider if the people of Para are as afraid of the current instability as those in Edean are."

Gildas then shifted his attention somewhat to Evylan, "At the same time, we could also use an expansion of our imported food, the mountains aren't particularly good for growing things - and perhaps you could use some lower cost laborers in Para for work that needs to be done to help boost your own infrastructure for various companies that call this nation home... if you can grant work-visas, I can think of a large number of Vesari who would be willing to take low-income jobs that required a pair of hands yet didn't involve anything that violated their religious viewpoints."

He finished his plan with absolute confidence, "It's not perfect, but it's a start - I'm sure you have your own ideas as well, so I'd love to hear your thoughts, Premier Isabel."

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: I apologise for neglecting this for so long. Things have not been conducive to me having the time and inspiration for a well thought out, actual, non-!@#$%* reply, so I'll post tomorrow. I can't guarantee that what you'll get is actually going to be a well-thought out non-!@#$%* reply, but I can't do anything about that :v