Only the Sun Rises for Free

Amyante

1d122e10f0a96bdf370ae32.th.jpg

The area the representative of United Technology Trust was to meet with the Zargathian Queen was not a large building, nor a luxurious one. Rather, 'house in the countryside' would be a better description, and although both it and the road leading to it appeared to be well maintained, it looked far from the place one would expect a Queen and the representative of an internationally operating company to meet.

Inside, Amyante would be waiting, enjoying a hot cup of tea while looking at the sunset. The guards patrolling both inside and outside of the building were at ease as well, but remained to have a keen eye out for any hint of trouble. The sound of a car approaching would be heard, but tension soon diminished as its arrival had been scheduled, the type and appearance of both passenger and car sent in before the car had even passed the first checkpoint. A soldier opened the door to report to Amyante.

"My Lady, your guest approaches."

- "Very well sergeant, proceed as planned."

With a salute, the soldier left, closing the door behind him. Amyante took one last look at the setting sun, and stood up, waiting to greet the person she would be negotiating with.

A black SUV strolled down the winding road as a small country house slowly came into sight. Jordan, somewhat mystified by the ambiance of this third world country, flicked down his sunglasses and put a folder of papers on his lap. Assuredly his vehicle pulled up in front of this lonely home and stopped. The driver and a guard promptly removed themselves from the front seats and opened both sides of the back doors, letting loose Jordan and two other soldiers. Seemingly there was already someone there to greet them...

After Jordan would be led to the entrance of the building, one of the soldiers opened the door for him, and tried to tell him to head inside. He was more successful at signals than words however, as his mastery of English turned out to be quite poor. But he was learning, judging by the words he chose generally being common in children's books. After Jordan would walk through the hall and into the living room, he would see a woman standing next to a fairly ordinary looking wooden table, a steaming cup of tea close to her.

- "Ah, good evening. I am Queen Amyante Tojimaru of the Zargathian Transitional Government, pleasure to meet you. You are the representative of the United Technology Trust, i assume?"

Her accent would almost immediately identify her as a Proxian. Either way, she held out her hand in order to greet the man with a friendly handshake, after which she'd motion for him to sit down while she did the same.

- "My apologies for the detour, but i found this place more fitting than an unnamed building in the city. Would you care for anything to drink?"

Even though the house didn't look it, the cellar had been heavily modified and -- aside from having its own emergency generator, computers and direct uplink to the nearest communication array -- would also house quite an assortment of drinks.

Jordan shrugged a bit, somewhat arrogant in his recently appointed position, and responded, "I am the Global Chairman for the United Technologies Trust instated by the Mechodamian government. I also head the Mechodamian Research and Development Corps. And it's quite alright, really. It's always fanciful to see the ambient nature of a foreign nations."

He nodded as he viewed the quaint room as sunlight peppered through the shades. "If you have any scotch, that would be fantastic." He promptly removed his coat and slid it behind his slender back and popped his sunglasses into the sewn pockets.

Amyante nodded, and turned to a person standing near the door.

- "茶和 蘇格蘭威士忌,请"

The man bowed and left, only to return later with a cup of tea and a scotch, taking the old cup away as he placed the full glasses from his tray onto the table. As he stepped back to where he had previously been standing, Amyante couldn't help but give a relieved sigh as she looked at the drinks.

- "Still learning Chinese, but it looks like i'm getting the hang of it. Anyway, as much as i'd hate to admit it i am clueless about what would be required for optimal use of the solar panels you have developed... So where would we begin?"

Jordan gave a thankful gesture and took a rather large gulp of the scotch. Eyes peering, he looked up and put a filled folder on the table between the two dignitaries. "Crystalline silicon solar cells have been around for some bit of time now and its technological advantage over other methods is solely based upon how it is used. Research into a new economic crystalline silicon system was obviously performed, and it is so efficient that it is nearly free due to huge invested returns."

He opened the folder to the first page. "The first thing required would likely to be a plant, of sorts, in order to produce the cells." This first page of the packet contained rough estimates for building components. Assertively, Jordan pointed toward the page and continued, "If you look here, we have formulated a rough estimate of building requirements. If this economic venture does follow through, it is imperative that panel creation independence is established. Alas, however, before you build a house you have to have a plan and an incentive to build it.

The system we use cuts traditional building costs by 45% and, with all costs and proper maintenance included, yields a 90% increase in profits according to our leading statisticians and experts. Any questions so far?"

"Also, and I must add, that we are always extending our research into already completed projects. For instance, carbon nanotube technology can replace the electrical conduits in these solar cells, creating a more efficient medium for the current to transfer through. So keep in mind that an agreement should, and would, be made between our nations to share these technological advances in solar cell advancement."

Amyante looked through the documents Jordan offered her, skipping through all the technicalities she knew nothing of and, based on what she read, made a rather overly simplified description of what they did. Sun shines on A, B generates Science into a wire to turn on a lightbulb at C.

- "I have one question so far... Would it be better to build the plant high in the mountains to reduce the cost of cleaning pollution off the panels, or build it close to what needs to be powered to cut back on transit loss?"

She took a sip from her tea, leafing through some info that looked relevant enough, and then turned to look at Jordan again as she awaited the reply.

"It depends on how you are using them. If you are looking to make a single plant, then it'd be best to be a bit away from any major infrastructure. For most efficient use, though, not only should you have a single plant, but also look at installing panels on homes and other larger electrical intensive devices."

Amyante nodded, leafing through the documents gain until she found a page with numbers and assuming those were the price tags that would be attached to the project. She needed to put some cash away to use in about five years from now, but a little moving around of resources, and with the recent sugar trde from Europe, she might just be able to afford it up to the time when it started breaking even again.

- "That was the idea. We currently going through a period of economic growth, and one, possibly several plants would secure the power grid for quite some time. That, in combination with solar panels in the cities themselves to reduce overall strain should be able to compensate for the additional pollution from the economy and infrastructure."

She glanced at the papers again, deciding against leafing through them again.

- "Right... In layman's terms, how much would it cost me to have one plant and several plants respectively, with or without the solar panels in the cities?"

Jordan laughed a little bit, but not out of arrogance or pity. "The reason the UTT exists is to help nations expand, not extort them. This wouldn't be a one time dealing... no, it would persist for a very long time with a treaty between our two nations. We would help facilitate the funds, of course with other aid from your nation in terms of manpower and the likes, for such projects. Now, to build one plant would cost around 7 million Mechas. To build the allotted numerous facilities, it would cost 35 million Mechas. Due the the absolutely daunting surplus the UTT is undergoing at the moment, since this project was so efficiently brought into effect, your country would only have to pay 7% of the multiple facilities, and 3% of the single facility, all of which would be annual financed payments instead of a single large down payment. Mind you that there would be a small interest overtime of 1.25% compound upon itself every year, but that interest is placed into a fund and, upon completion of the project and installment, will be reimbursed in your nation's treasury for efficient upkeep of the facilities."

Amyante nodded, having reached a decision. The vast majority of the Zargathian Army consisted of a mercenary organisation that was allowed to have its headquarters in Zargathia as well as have access to the former Yamato's military hardware in return. Because of this, her defense bill was... about as low as it could get, giving Zargathia a good surplus on its yearly budget. Even with the money she would be setting aside for the project with the PRC in a few years, she was still confident there would be enough to finance her part in the construction of these facilities.

- "Very well. We'll opt for multiple facilities then, and Zargathian skyscrapers will be fitted with obligatory solar panels on their rooftops to reduce the workload on the existing power grid. Between them, the hydroelectric plants and a few nuclear ones, we should be able to shut down all remaining coal based power plants that are currently in operation in Zargathia by the time this project reaches its completion."

Edited by Amyante

"Very well, now as for the treaty portion, I have been endowed the powers of diplomacy by our Patriarch of Foreign Affairs Simond. This treaty would consist of an economic treaty along with a non-aggression treaty between our two nations. Does this suffice?"

Edited by SpacingOutMan

- "It will suffice. If any additional treaties would be considered necessary i am certain we could arrange another meeting to discuss them, but the two treaties mentioned should take care of most."

Amyante tapped her fingernail on the table for a few seconds, considering a thought that had just occurred to her.

- "Speaking of economic treaties, would you be interested in setting up a trade route?"

"We currently have access to large amounts of wood and iron deposits of our own, as well as sugar through a trade route with another nation. There is oil as well, but the supplied amount is too limited at this point to put up for sale."

After taking another sip of tea Amyante shook her head.

- "Only one concerning the trade value of your currency. All prices you mentioned were in Mechodamian Mechas, and i regretfully have to admit that i cannot quite recall the conversion rate. Other than that, i have no further questions at this time."

Edited by Amyante

"From the top of my head i'd have to say... between seventy-five and eighty Zargathian Yen to a mark."

OOC: 1 Hanseatic mark = 1 Australian dollar, and 1 Zargathian Yen = 1 Japanese Yen.

Edited by Amyante