We Have a Grievance...

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gooningrad, 2011.

"Hold fast, boys."

It was early morning, a few hours after update and an hour before dawn. A treacherous time of day at the best of times. Too dark to make out details clearly. Bright enough that your eyes were tricked into thinking they saw clearly. The knife-bright intensity that the sentries usually employed was dulled, replaced with the false security of thinking you saw everything. Conventional wisdom said you should attack at night. Conventional wisdom wasn't all that wise.

No, better to attack in the half-light, where eyes played tricks, and soldiers were spooked into thinking every tree waving in the wind was an attacker. They focused on the phantoms, and didn't see the bayonet until it spilled hot blood.

It was twelve updates since the siege had begun. Twelve updates, twelve armies levied against them. The grind had almost become routine. You got up, checked the horizon, made sure your supplies were holding up, checked the horizon, went for a leak and saw the steam rise in the february air, checked the horizon. If your weapon was out of arm's reach, if you yawned and stretched and took a moment to get a swig of coffee, that's when they would come.

To call them armies didn't describe it right. They wore twelve different uniforms, fought in a hundred different ways. Some of them marched with military precision. Some moved skirmisher-style from cover to cover. Some readied, aimed, and fired with the clockwork perfection of an out of date tin toy. Some gibbered and ran towards the barricades, not caring as they were torn up by the defenses. This very randomness made them unnerving, as did their number. It was like being attacked by the dreams of a thousand soldiers. They were the superior force, in number at least, in armament, if you wished to count it that way.

"Stand your ground, lads. Give better than you get."

The officer on duty spoke behind the lines, voice as soft as a bedtime story, but filled with ice and iron.

"You know what they want of you. When they come, you know what they want you to do. THey want you to run, they want us all to run. They don't want to fight us, they want to neuter us, and they think we'll just submit to it, become eunnuchs like them. They think we'll fold, because they think that given the choice between dying and becoming half-men, we'll hand over our family jewels. Now, I don't know about you, lads, but I have no intention of handing my lads over."

The horizon still appeared empty. This didn't mean anything. The enemy could appear in a second, vanish without a trace. An empty horizon was a cause for nerves.

"They think we care about what they can do to us. Do you care about that, lads?"

The soldiers grinned, and their teeth were stained red.

"Right, well our allies left us an important job here. Hold the tide back, hold off any support to the enemy. Stop them here, stop them now."
"Sir!"

A lookout called down. This was unexpected. Something big enough for the lookouts to see would have to be major.

"Movement on the horizon, sir." the lookout said.

For a fleeting second, the weariness of the situation splashed over the officer. Oh well, if it were another army joining the fray, they'd see them off as they had the others. However, there was something in the lookout's voice that told him it wasn't so.

"Sir, it's the relief!"

The officer looked out, and in the distance saw them. Glorious in aqua, orange, and blue. Some battle hardened, some fresh for the fight. All a sight for sore eyes.

The officer grinned.

"Right," he said, "Let's see if we can find something for them to do."

Edited by Hidraca

[quote name='Amonra' timestamp='1296969975' post='2621411']
Wait... let me try the Doom House official response..
"There were more alliances than just that one you attacked!"

Wow, that does feel good.
[/quote]
Legion is the largest, though. That doesn't apply to the hitting GOONS strategy.

Also, hail =LOST=, hail CnG, and hail endless whining from the other side. :awesome:

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1296970130' post='2621430']
I couldn't have put a better spin on that myself. But I guess if LOST isn't confident in its abilities to take on the so-called worst alliance ever, then it's only logical that they ask their betters to help them.
[/quote]

Sir! I don't care what that vote said. WE are the worst alliance ever. Thank you for understanding. Try not to make such a mistake again!

[quote name='Penkala' timestamp='1296970035' post='2621416']
So I heard Legion was doing so good it took all of C&G to take them down lolol
[/quote]

So good they trail an alliance a fraction of their size (NSO) in offensive wars. What putzes.

[quote name='Hidraca' timestamp='1296970144' post='2621431']
The officer looked out, and in the distance saw them. Glorious in aqua, orange, and black. Some battle hardened, some fresh for the fight. All a sight for sore eyes.
[/quote]

*aqua, orange, and blue

[quote name='Dr Beefstupid' timestamp='1296970173' post='2621436']
While I appreciate the sentiment, all I can feel is disappointed that we won't get to beat Legion ourselves. This is going to be so much less fun.
[/quote]

If only we were at war with 6 or so fewer alliances the honor could be ours. :smug:

[quote name='LittleRena' timestamp='1296970334' post='2621450']
CnG pulling a move that their side complied so much about when used on iFOK and GOONs :lol1:

Saw this coming anyway.
[/quote]

You do realize that most of CnG actually are at war on other fronts still too right?

[quote name='Dr Beefstupid' timestamp='1296970173' post='2621436']
While I appreciate the sentiment, all I can feel is disappointed that we won't get to beat Legion ourselves. This is going to be so much less fun.
[/quote]
Play nice and share. :awesome:

[quote name='Alexander Kerensky' timestamp='1296970115' post='2621427']
Wow, GOONS really needed to be saved it would seem. :awesome:
[/quote]
I'm trying to figure out where the balance is between "GOONS is going to surrender any moment now, they're way outgunned," and "lol GOONS needs help?" Cause I hear both depending on what argument needs to be made.