The Staatspresident is dead!

Botha

[quote name='Vedran' timestamp='1299965199' post='2661847']Vedran was the first to speak. "Welcome, General Van Haesten, Colonel Viljoens, Colonel...Van Matteus." At this last name he hesitated momentarily, surprised by the presence of the woman. He quickly recovered, but was visibly taken off guard. Of course, Van Matteus had to have sided with them, but he had no idea that they had retrieved her from whatever place she was hiding at.[/quote]

[color="#000080"]Field Marshal Cruywagen cracked a rare smile when he heard Vedran utter Van Matteus’ name. During a quiet moment in the proceedings, the marshal discreetly leaned over to the Sovereign and whispered in his ear.

“Excuse me, sir… but Van Matteus does hold the rank of general… that will no doubt knock her pride down a few notches calling her a colonel… very well played, if I may say so…”

= = =

Later in the proceedings, when he had the opportunity to do so, Field Marshal Paul Cruywagen would take his turn to speak.

“Gentlemen…” – and Vedran wondered to himself if this was a deliberate barb at the exclusion of Van Matteus - “… the question here is who is the legitimate successor of state authority in the wake of the Staatspresident’s untimely passing?”

“The Staatspresident was the final authority in Transvaal and from whence all national and governmental authority originated. The Prime Minister is the executor of that authority delegated as by the Staatspresident so saw fit – and, this is critical here, the executor in lieu of the Staatspresident’s prerogative to execute that authority when circumstances permit or demand.”

“The fact of the matter is Prime Minister Hofmeyr did act accordingly under the circumstances. There was no succession plan in place as it was never anticipated that the Staatspresident would perish in such a manner without at least his prior consultation and approval.”

“Therefore, the only legality the National Front possesses is that of a secessionist province. Until future elections can be held to represent the current political landscape, Prime Minister Marthinus Hofmeyr and his administration is the legal successor to the Pretoria government. And there is also precedent for Transvaal having a foreign head-of-state, as Jack Felan briefly held the position of Protector-General of Transvaal.”

“In fact, today, this very day of March 12, is the fourth anniversary of the end of the Klingen protectorate over Transvaal.” [/color]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color="#000080"]Annetjie van Matteus protested what Cruywagen was saying and struck back with all the ferociousness of an animal cornered.

“And let me remind you, Marshal Cruywagen, when you speak of elections, that Marthinus Hofmeyr was never elected to office. He was appointed on the death of Strijdom, who himself had usurped my government through blackmail against me personally! I was forced out of office from the backroom maneuvering of Strijdom and Malan. And then when war comes, I get placed under arrest and shipped off to Bouvet Island. What does that tell you? The criminals that overthrew a legitimate government were trying to cover their tracks.”

“General van Haesten, in his capacity as the leading representative of the autonomous province of Tahoe-Transvaal, has as much right and authority to claim his administration as being the rightful successors to the Republic as Hofmeyr claims he is.”[/color]

[quote name='Emperor Mudd' timestamp='1299968655' post='2661895']
"We can negotiate territory in a moment, but right now we must achieve recognition as the legitimate successor state to Transvaal. Without that then we have no legitimacy and no matter the result of the negotiations, we cannot hold ourselves to Transvaal's standards."

"As for territory, I am willing to accept the idea that a majority of the population in Zambia, Rhodesia, Malawi and Mozambique do wish to remain under the protection of Arctica. However, I cannot see why their unilateral joining of the Union of Arctica should be allowed. Instead, I propose an expanded Transvaal-Arctica area of joint sovereignty over Zambia and Rhodesia with Malawi and Mozambique joining to Arctica as integral territory."
[/quote]

"It is not our intent that they be turned into integral territory, as it would greatly upset the political balance of the country; annexing Malawi alone would double the population of the Union. There are 10 million people on Madagascar with an additional 800,000 in the Indian Ocean Territory.

A plan that has been considered by the Minister and I is that any Transvaal territory taken unto the Union would become a sort of independent republic with its own government and would become part of a federal system, similar to the old United States of America, or the current United States of the Island on the Isle of Man. This would, of course, require a partial restructuring of the legislative system to make for more fair representation. First, political parties will be considered legitimate groups in elections. As it stands now, every candidate runs independently so that he or she may be judged on their merits and individual platforms rather than their party affiliation. Given the political situation in Transvaal I mentioned before, parties will become a more important force in politics.

Secondly, with the small population of the Union as it is today, our population-based unicameral legislature will not be enough. It will be kept, but likely we will add a second house based on equal representation per republic.

Knowing that, perhaps you can bring yourself to accept our claim over these territories."

[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1299978194' post='2662078']
[color="#000080"]Field Marshal Cruywagen cracked a rare smile when he heard Vedran utter Van Matteus’ name. During a quiet moment in the proceedings, the marshal discreetly leaned over to the Sovereign and whispered in his ear.

“Excuse me, sir… but Van Matteus does hold the rank of general… that will no doubt knock her pride down a few notches calling her a colonel… very well played, if I may say so…” [/color][/quote]

Vedran nodded lightly, and a slight discomfort appeared on his face. He was more embarrassed at this than anything, for if there was anyone to stay up to date on things, it should have been him, but he had somehow missed this.

[quote][color="#000080"]Later in the proceedings, when he had the opportunity to do so, Field Marshal Paul Cruywagen would take his turn to speak.

“Gentlemen…” – and Vedran wondered to himself if this was a deliberate barb at the exclusion of Van Matteus - “… the question here is who is the legitimate successor of state authority in the wake of the Staatspresident’s untimely passing?”

“The Staatspresident was the final authority in Transvaal and from whence all national and governmental authority originated. The Prime Minister is the executor of that authority delegated as by the Staatspresident so saw fit – and, this is critical here, the executor in lieu of the Staatspresident’s prerogative to execute that authority when circumstances permit or demand.”

“The fact of the matter is Prime Minister Hofmeyr did act accordingly under the circumstances. There was no succession plan in place as it was never anticipated that the Staatspresident would perish in such a manner without at least his prior consultation and approval.”

“Therefore, the only legality the National Front possesses is that of a secessionist province. Until future elections can be held to represent the current political landscape, Prime Minister Marthinus Hofmeyr and his administration is the legal successor to the Pretoria government. And there is also precedent for Transvaal having a foreign head-of-state, as Jack Felan briefly held the position of Protector-General of Transvaal.”

“In fact, today, this very day of March 12, is the fourth anniversary of the end of the Klingen protectorate over Transvaal.” [/color]
[/quote]

Vedran listened to Cruywagen, and nodded, agreeing with him. "The Marshal is correct. However, while I respect the decision of the Prime Minister and the Volksraad, I do not consider myself the head of state of Transvaal. I have conducted relief efforts - and unfortunately, the recent conflict - with the understanding that I was simply its custodian, to use Arctica's resources to aid Transvaal in its time of need until the emergency could be contained and the people could decide for themselves the future of their country.

General, I do not consider your faction - or any, for that matter - to be the rightful successor of Transvaal, until a nationwide referendum is held and the people of each province decide. While it is under the authority granted me by the Prime Minister and Volksraad to annex Transvaal's territories as I see fit, I have waived this authority to the extent that my government will not push for the integration of any provinces that have voted not to join. We wish for a democratic resolution to this, not an argument regarding the legal successors. It has been sufficiently demonstrated that [i]we[/i] are the legal successors, and with this authority have decided to hold a free and fair referendum in the territories you contest, Zambia and Zimbabwe, to decide their fate.

The division of the core regions of Transvaal, including South Africa proper, along with Lesotho and Swaziland are more delicate issues and I would be open to suggestion regarding them."

Van Haesten nodded at van Matteus's retort, speaking before Cruywagen could answer.

"Field Marshal, you yourself said that there is no succession plan in place with the Staatspresident's death. Who then has the legitimacy of the people? A Prime Minister who attained power through immoral and quite possibly illegal means, or a senior officer of state appointed by the Staatspresident. No, my authority is derived from one source. I am fighting for Transvaal. Hofmeyr surrendered. [i]You [/i]surrendered."

Van Haesten sneered. It was obvious to all present that he considered this an incredible display of weakness, "You, Field Marshal, are supporting the dismantling of your nation. You are supporting a foreign regime taking over your nation and you are explicitly supporting that regime through military actions. I say you have lost all your legitimacy through your treason."

"The National Front of Transvaal is the ONLY force, military or political, fighting for the restoration of Transvaal's independence. THAT is why we are the legitimate successor government. That is why we shall establish the legitimate successor state. I am willing to negotiate with the Arcticans over our future and the territorial limits of the new state, but I will not concede our legitimate authority."

[quote]A plan that has been considered by the Minister and I is that any Transvaal territory taken unto the Union would become a sort of independent republic with its own government and would become part of a federal system, similar to the old United States of America, or the current United States of the Island on the Isle of Man. This would, of course, require a partial restructuring of the legislative system to make for more fair representation. First, political parties will be considered legitimate groups in elections. As it stands now, every candidate runs independently so that he or she may be judged on their merits and individual platforms rather than their party affiliation. Given the political situation in Transvaal I mentioned before, parties will become a more important force in politics.

Secondly, with the small population of the Union as it is today, our population-based unicameral legislature will not be enough. It will be kept, but likely we will add a second house based on equal representation per republic.[/quote]

Van Matteus began to speak, "We will not split ou-"

Van Haesten cut her off, understanding that more delicate issues are at stake.

"I am not comfortable with this, but will allow it only following a referendum. As I have said, Cruywagen is not correct." Van Haesten's deliberate insult by ignoring the Field Marshals title was noticable, especially to Cruywagen himself, who scowled. "I will not restate my argument, my legal authority as an officer of state of Transvaal was properly exercised."

"The core of South Africa is, as you say, quite delicate. Namibia, southern Angola and Botswana are all relatively unpopulated and currently occupied by my military forces. The National Front shall retain them, though will volunteer itself to a referendum. South Africa, we claim in its entirety. As you know, my forces currently occupy the Cape Provinces, the Free State, Lesotho and North West Province. I have no doubt that the people of Limpopo, being mostly populated by blacks, would rather stay with Arctica, as would Mpumalanga. However, due to the nuclear attacks on Johannesburg, its population is severely depleted. We are not willing to hand over Johannesburg in its entirety no matter the result of a referendum, which cannot be truly accurate due to the nuclear attacks."

Edited by Emperor Mudd

[quote name='Botha' timestamp='1300044510' post='2663196']
[color="#000080"]Annetjie van Matteus protested what Cruywagen was saying and struck back with all the ferociousness of an animal cornered.

“And let me remind you, Marshal Cruywagen, when you speak of elections, that Marthinus Hofmeyr was never elected to office. He was appointed on the death of Strijdom, who himself had usurped my government through blackmail against me personally! I was forced out of office from the backroom maneuvering of Strijdom and Malan. And then when war comes, I get placed under arrest and shipped off to Bouvet Island. What does that tell you? The criminals that overthrew a legitimate government were trying to cover their tracks.”

“General van Haesten, in his capacity as the leading representative of the autonomous province of Tahoe-Transvaal, has as much right and authority to claim his administration as being the rightful successors to the Republic as Hofmeyr claims he is.”[/color]
[/quote]

Vedran snapped at Van Matteus, "General, you're out of line. Your argument will be given due merit, and I can sympathize with your predicament, but I will not have such outbursts disrupt the civility of these talks..." He was cut off by Van Haesten then, and stared at the man gravely as he spoke.

[quote name='Emperor Mudd' timestamp='1300045110' post='2663207']
Van Haesten nodded at van Matteus's retort, speaking before Cruywagen could answer.

"Field Marshal, you yourself said that there is no succession plan in place with the Staatspresident's death. Who then has the legitimacy of the people? A Prime Minister who attained power through immoral and quite possibly illegal means, or a senior officer of state appointed by the Staatspresident. No, my authority is derived from one source. I am fighting for Transvaal. Hofmeyr surrendered. [i]You [/i]surrendered."

Van Haesten sneered. It was obvious to all present that he considered this an incredible display of weakness, "You, Field Marshal, are supporting the dismantling of your nation. You are supporting a foreign regime taking over your nation and you are explicitly supporting that regime through military actions. I say you have lost all your legitimacy through your treason."

"The National Front of Transvaal is the ONLY force, military or political, fighting for the restoration of Transvaal's independence. THAT is why we are the legitimate successor government. That is why we shall establish the legitimate successor state. I am willing to negotiate with the Arcticans over our future and the territorial limits of the new state, but I will not concede our legitimate authority."
[/quote]

Once Van Haesten was finished, the Sovereign raised a hand to signal Cruywagen to stay silent for the moment. After staring Van Haesten down for a few more seconds, he calmly turned back to Van Matteus as if the man hadn't spoken at all.

"General Van Matteus, I will not have such outbursts disrupt the civility of these talks. Now, I must take it into due consideration. I understand that Strijdom may have taken control through illegal means - I have reason to believe that the destruction of the plane carrying your Overseas Corps was ordered by him, and that Ambassador Dietz contacted Government House that night to tell you of this; however, the line was dead, and the next day you resigned.

Despite the illegitimacy of Hofmeyr's appointment to Prime Minister, the decision to hand over authority to Arctica was supported by the Volksraad, your legislature which I am to assume [i]was[/i] legitimate at the time."

He then turned his attention to Van Haesten. "General, do not interrupt me when I am speaking. We will all take turns speaking our part, otherwise these proceedings will devolve into a shouting match and nothing will get accomplished.

Your legitimacy is dependent on the will of the people, which will be decided by referendum, unless you mean to say you intend to lead through undemocratic means and disturb the republican order of life Transvalers have known for years..."

"Vedran, I intend to rebuild Transvaal back to its former glory, with or without treasonous cowards like Cruywagen." The venom in van Matteus's voice was unmistakable.

"Annetjie, please. Sovereign. We accept the will of the people and shall agree to a referendum in Zambia and Rhodesia...and the other territories that support your authority I suppose. We have stated that already. I state again, our claim is for Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho and South Africa, though I fully expect Limpopo and Mpumalanga would rather...well, lets say they would rather remain a part of Arctica. Johannesburg and Pretoria I do not wish to let go, no matter the result of a referendum. It is the capital of Transvaal, and due to the deaths, an accurate referendum cannot be held."

Vedran nodded at Van Haesten's words, not even responding to Annetjie this time.

"Your terms are acceptable. We will begin referendums as soon as possible in Zambia and Rhodesia, and will work to make Mozambique, Malawi, Swaziland, Limpopo, and Mpumalanga a part of the Union." He relaxed a little, now that they had come to an agreement and the outbursts were done with.

"Now, shall we move on to the issue of the outlying islands, including..." He read off a list in front of him, "Prince Edward Island, Marion Island, Bouvet Island, Ascension, St. Helena, Tristan de Cunha, South Georgia and South Sandwich islands, Mauritius, the Comoros, and Clipperton Island."

Minister Ramiaramanana opened his briefcase and set a large map on the table, facing it towards Van Haesten, with all the islands in question circled.

"I will now summon Varadarajan AG, the former ambassador from the Kingdom of Cochin to Transvaal, and is his nation's representative in these talks. We will recess for two hours, and reconvene here at 1:00."

The Cochin representative was given an hour's notice, and a limousine picked him up at around 12:30 to drive him to the legislature building. When they finally reconvened, Vedran had changed to a white pinstriped suit - it was a cool day, but that uniform was stuffy.

Varadarajan AG was introduced to the delegates present and seated at the left side of the table rather than forward or back to represent neutrality, with Cruywagen to his left and Van Matteus to his right.

Vedran went over the islands in question again, and put the map on the table so everyone could see it.

"Mr. Varadarajan, welcome. Please explain your counrty's situation in regards to St. Helena so that all the delegates present may understand it.

After him, General Van Haesten, you will make your case for the islands you wish to claim."

Edited by Vedran

The Kingdom of Cochin had come into an agreement with the Government of Transvaal whereby Cochin would be permitted to build and operate a Naval Air Station on the island of St. Helena without in any way affecting the Transvaal sovereignty over St Helena. The agreement had also had codicils assuring aerial connectivity between St Helena and Transvaal mainland through this Naval Air Station. As per this agreement we had developed the Naval Air Station St Helena and the relationship between our nations had only remained strong and friendly.

After the fall of Transvaal and declaration of protection by Arctica we had gotten in contact with Arcticans to enquire regarding the status of NAS St. Helena and we were gladdened by the continuation of the existing agreements. The Kingdom hopes that the deliberations of this conference would result in the continuation of existing terms of agreement regarding St. Helena or the entire sovereignty of St. Helena be handed over to us. The years of operation has created strong cultural and economic links between our service personnel and the population of St. Helena. Under Cochin sovereignty St Helena would not see any loss of its autonomy with the benefits to be gained through greater investments and developments which we would bring in.

"I am hesitant to agree to a transfer of sovereignty to the Cochinese authority, though we will honor the existing agreement. Any transfer of sovereignty would need to be reciprocated, in some form, and I am open to such proposals, should they arise. As for the islands that the National Front claims, it is quite simply the islands off the coast of areas controlled by our government. Those islands are Ascension, Tristan de Cunha, St. Helena, Bouvet, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. Clipperton Island was a joint territory of the Tahoe Republic and Transvaal, and as we are the last reminants of Tahoe...well, enough said there." Van Haesten was visibly shaken while discussing Tahoe. All the Tahoe-Transvalers were hesitant to talk about their former nation and grew angry and even violent when it was even mentioned. It was a memory most tried hard to forget, many through heavy drinking, a typically Tahoan response, or by military service.

"Very well. We will work with the people of Mauritius and the Comoros to ensure a smooth integration into the Indian Ocean Territory. Formal claims of the Prince Edward Islands will be made, as they are uninhabited. We concede the other islands to you, and relinquish any claim over them. The situation on St. Helena can be discussed with yourselves and Cochin.

Now that we have agreed upon territorial division, let us agree to cease all hostilities. Wounded, dead, and captured will be exchanged by both sides in the coming days. Additionally, Colonel Redeker has made me aware that 25 scout snipers were deployed throughout the countryside of Lesotho. They will have little news from the outside world apart from the news that reaches the small villages and towns, and we have little doubt they will not be aware of the peace.

They have been ordered to disrupt your chain of command and to target officers and specialists with rare skills. As Supreme Commander, you have my assurances that hostilities will not be re-initiated if they are killed in self-defense, but in this case we would want their bodies and all equipment returned.

I ask your permission to dispatch low-ranking Arctican officers throughout the Sotho countryside to send news to the villages as well as orders for the snipers to surrender themselves to Nationalist forces and be transferred to us. They will trust messengers more than written orders, as written orders delivered by your men would likely be dismissed as forgeries."

Edited by Vedran

"Very well. On the behalf of the National Front of Transvaal, I agree to these terms." General van Haesten stood and shook the hands of the Arctican representatives.

"I will await the beginning of the referendums in Zambia and Rhodesia, and send advisors to monitor the elections. My military forces will stand down immediately and repatriate all bodies and prisoners. Of course your commandos will be dealt with by yourself, we will make arrangements for the passage of officers through the lines shortly. I was worried that it was local insurgents that were causing problems in our supply lines in the area, nearly 20 of our soldiers were killed or wounded in the past week. Honestly, knowing that commandos and not local insurgents is a relief."

The Council of the National Front will gather in Cape Town, the interim capital, and establish a provisional government, pending the normalization of domestic affairs that will allow a transition to democracy. I cannot promise that your government and mine will see eye to eye in the future, but I do hope to continue Transvaal's legacy and maintain constructive, peaceful and mutually beneficial relations. Let us put this unfortunate war behind us and move forward together for a strong South Africa."

Edited by Emperor Mudd

Vedran stood and shook Van Haesten's hand; Cruywagen, Redeker, and Ramiaramanana did the same.

"Very well, General. The Arctican White Cross will likely make a request to expand its relief and refugee housing efforts in the country, and cooperate with your government in returning people to their homes, particularly those that were taken to the AWC refugee camp system in Madagascar.

I will assign an ambassador in the next few days to facilitate further dialogue between our governments."

When Van Haesten and his delegation had left, Vedran shook the hand of the Cochin representative. "Thank you for coming today on behalf of the Kingdom, Mr. Varadarajan. I hope the issue of St. Helena will be settled favorably. Send my regards to the King."

A limousine would take the representative back to the hotel.

Colonel Redeker returned to the command of his forces, along with Cruywagen, to get to work on repairing damage done by the attacks. They would stay there for a few days, waiting for prisoners and bodies to be returned and for the ATDF forces in Lesotho to regroup. The ATDF would head back to Mozambique, and Redeker sent out messengers to the Sotho villages. Within a few weeks, the snipers would surrender themselves to Nationalist forces and be taken by them to the temporary military headquarters in Maputo.

That night, in the officers' mess at the Johannesburg Barracks, Vedran dined with Redeker, Cruywagen, and some of the other Arctican and Transvaler officers, and perhaps some of the Tahoans if they had made their way there. With the peace official now, they could relax around each other and the tensions slowly lowered.

"So, Marshal," Vedran began, addressing Cruywagen. "I know it must be difficult being in your position with the recent events in Southern Africa. Have you decided yet which direction your career will take? And can you give me some insights into the mind of your soldiers joining us here? I must say, I'm not aware of where their homes are, where their families are, and what will become of the of the Transvaler troops who had pledged themselves to Arctica during the conflict."

[color="#000080"]During dinner, Marshal Cruywagen lectured to his Arctican hosts the rather delicate situation with partition and the remnants of the Afrikaner military.

“Partition has created an uncertain situation amongst the whites in Southern Africa. It may either break the Afrikaner nation or re-galvanise it. You see, Sovereign, practically all the Afrikaner troops that pledged allegiance to your administration come from the Cape, which is more liberal in outlook than the conservative Boervolk of the Transvaal provinces and the Orange Vrystaat – who’ve in turn provided the bulk of Van Haesten’s Afrikaner power base. The question to be answered is whether partition has disrupted the political base of Afrikanerdom through population migration or rather provoked both sides of the fence to reclaim their lost land in the opposition’s hands?”

“Undoubtedly there will be an ideological migration as people finding themselves on the wrong side of the fence will decide to move is the less painful options – but there will be others, more stubborn, that will passively ignore and resist whatever administration they find themselves under.”

“The General may soon find out faster than he wants to that he has bitten off more than he can digest, as he will have a lot of angry blacks under his jurisdiction. While Van Matteus will admittedly help him quell some of them through divide and conquer tactics, they simply won’t have enough forces to maintain the basics of civil peace. The only real advantage he holds is that he gained the potential wealth of Rhodesia. If you had stood your ground and denied him Rhodesia-Zimbabwe, he would have been placed in a much worse economic and agricultural position. As long as he can maintain control and compliance of the population, properly managed that region will support the rest of his rather unproductive territories such as Namibia and Botswana.”

“Fortunately for you, through Arctica’s example in Mozambique, you should have a much easier time of governing your newly-acquired responsibilities in Southern Africa. You at least have earnt the trust of the common person. Van Haesten doesn’t have that luxury – well, no, he will in time win over many of the whites he ultimately finds living under him but winning over the support of the non-whites is a different matter.”

“As for me,” – and the marshal now sounded tired here – “...I am a son of Pretoria. I have nothing to return to and besides what remains of the former capital now rests under Van Haesten and Van Matteus’ jackboots. Therefore I have decided to join the rest of the exile community and retire to Arctica... as, after being posted their as military governor during the period of the Madagaskar Vrystaat, it’s the closest thing I have now to a second home.” [/color]