Presenting the GPA HoF

jerdge

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1295850776' post='2596032']
You [i]never[/i] actually read what I write, do you? :P
(I am Cabinet and not eligible, and I am as far as one could be from deserving the GPA HoF, anyway... But thanks! :)
[/quote]
I do I do! It said no minnisters, I forgot that you'd become Minister of FA and for some reason thought you were still Dep >.< My Mistake.

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1295850776' post='2596032']
You raise a valid concern that has only briefly being mentioned in the OP, and for that I thank you.
If we put it up to vote we could have some obviously undesirable name end high up in the rank - some characters that played a big role in causing/determining the War on Peace come to mind, but I am sure that you can think of others as well - and we would then be forced to veto/disqualify them, as their insertion in the list would be outrageous and offensive for the GPA. Of course, such a scenario would seriously mine the credibility of the whole affair.
Our choice for public nominations is instead a "sort of vote" in itself - meaning that we'd find ourselves embarrassed if we wanted to exclude some qualified and respectable name that had been repeatedly publicly nominated (even assuming that we could have a reason to do that, for that matter) - without it being [i]strictly[/i] binding. In this way everything is transparent from the beginning and everybody knows what to expect.
Bottom line, we [i]wanted[/i] to have external input (as well as internal) and we gave it what we think is the widest feasible room of maneuver.

I hope that I cleared your doubts. If not please ask again.[/quote]

Except in your OP you already declared you have the right to remove any nomination per your discretion, so that would kind of safeguard you from having said "undesirable" names end up in said nominations and vote, as it were. Never mind that when you ask greater Bob who [i]they[/i] think should be in a hall of fame, you submit to the fact that some of those people are not necessarily going to be "ideal neutrals"; there are not only famous, but infamous people. Some of Bob might consider them famous, perhaps not for reasons you would "accept". So in this case you might as well have kept it inside your large and imposing walls, if you so wished to control the outcome. In this regard it is not wholly transparent, no one will know what to expect from the vote as we will not be able to see or participate, and thus still makes no sense. But it's nice to see you've come out to play with the rest of Bob for a little while. Are the grunts being given a free pass in this thread to post? :P

[list]
[*][b]Nominee: Gamer[/b]
[*][b]Rationale: He was one of the greatest economic minds I've ever encountered on Bob. A lot of what I know about the cost/benefit of various economic formulas here stem from things he taught me when I first joined the GPA four years ago :) [/b][/list]

Edited by Rooman33

[quote name='wickedj' timestamp='1295882700' post='2596616']
I wish to nominate Pansy, as he is a shining beacon of neutrality in this world of chaos

(nobody believes me? Well fine..)
[/quote]
*[color="#FF00FF"]The Pansy[/color] looks at his war slots, nods sadly and agrees.

[quote name='KahlanRahl' timestamp='1295878199' post='2596515']Except in your OP you already declared you have the right to remove any nomination per your discretion, so that would kind of safeguard you from having said "undesirable" names end up in said nominations and vote, as it were.[/quote]
It seems to me that you imply that either the GPA actually [i]has[/i] "the right to remove any nomination per her discretion", or that she should have it, or that you anyway accept that she "can have" that right - as we wrote in our communique/"my OP". Any kind of public vote wouldn't thus be final but it had to be ratified/modified by the GPA herself, hence I imagine that we agree that the GPA has/should have/can have the right to determine the final result of the process, thus the actual way in which this condition is met is more a matter of [i]flavour[/i] than a real disagreement about its basic conditions.
People asked to vote [i]generally[/i] expect to (collectively) choose "who wins", whereas people asked to bring forth [i]proposals[/i] generally expect/understand that their one may not be approved (in full or in part). While I respect your right to prefer a voting that the GPA may then subvert/neglect/modify/accept at her choosing - if that's what you were meaning - I still prefer the GPA way, that IMHO [i]is[/i] more transparent (as we don't promise something/"give" a power that may or may not be mantained/upheld).

[quote name='KahlanRahl' timestamp='1295878199' post='2596515']So in this case you might as well have kept it inside your large and imposing walls, if you so wished to control the outcome. In this regard it is not wholly transparent, no one will know what to expect from the vote as we will not be able to see or participate, and thus still makes no sense.[/quote]
Of course we [i]could[/i] have kept it completely inside the GPA but we instead chose to ask for external opinions! Our intention wasn't to have you know what to expect from our internal votes - which evidently we don't know, and couldn't know, ourselves - but rather to provide an opportunity for a mutual exchange of opinions: in this way we can know what the general public thinks of who are/were the "best" GPA members, and you will also know which ones the GPA will finally choose as her "most notable" past/present members.
While it might not be what you or someone else expected/hoped for I wouldn't call it "nonsense", unless we concluded that communication and reciprocal knowledge/understanding - the GPA considering outside voices before deciding - don't make any sense.

[quote name='KahlanRahl' timestamp='1295878199' post='2596515']Never mind that when you ask greater Bob who [i]they[/i] think should be in a hall of fame, you submit to the fact that some of those people are not necessarily going to be "ideal neutrals"; there are not only famous, but infamous people. Some of Bob might consider them famous, perhaps not for reasons you would "accept".[/quote]
Well, despite the "Hall of [i]Fame[/i]" name, the point isn't to list the "just famous" present/former members of the GPA (whatever we might agree/disagree is the meaning of "famous"), but to honour and remember those that positively contributed to the history of the GPA through their work, dedication and the promotion of our values. "Fame" hasn't an univocal connotation (and I think that in our communique we sufficiently explained what we were meaning in this instance).
Furthermore, the GPA is obviously the body that can best decide over the identity of those that best represent her values, hence the procedure we chose.
All of this doesn't mean that we don't respect outside opinions - in fact we're [i]asking[/i] for them! - just that we reserve the right to disagree with them; just that we don't shy away from our responsibility of being the ones that say [i]who we actually are[/i].

[quote name='KahlanRahl' timestamp='1295878199' post='2596515']But it's nice to see you've come out to play with the rest of Bob for a little while. Are the grunts being given a free pass in this thread to post? :P[/quote]
As you obviously know (having been a GPA member, IIRC) the GPA has a policy that forbids her members from posting here [size=1][color=grey][ooc][/color][/size] (IC forums only) [size=1][color=grey][/ooc][/color][/size] unless they're authorized by the President. GPA-initiated threads are anyway exempted from that prohibition, or at least the policy is there (very very) looosely applied. In this case we can thus conclude that "grunts" - as you called them - can post here, of course provided that they best represent the GPA by remaining neutral and respectful, and unless the President issued an explicit prohibition in that sense.

To address the implications of your comment "at large" I add that, while you make it sound like the GPA members were some sort of "prisoners", forcibly held in captivity, we are in fact an open society and a democracy: GPA members are free to leave if they wish to; they can propose themselves as candidates for Presidency (to then remove/amend that policy, or with any other platform); they could support someone else that campaigned with that objective/proposal; they could propose a piece of legislation to have that policy modified/cancelled.
When we vote we're all equal and nobody is forced to remain, which in the end should probably suggest that our members are mostly content of our current policies.

It's been 5 years of The Neutral (Green) Menace already?

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1295821809' post='2594568']
[list]
[*] Obvious joke nominations will be ignored, however joke nominations that are actually funny might receive a shoutout.[/list]
[/quote]

o7 GPA for being able to take a bit of ribbing in opening up the HoF nominations.

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1295913045' post='2597331']
As you obviously know (having been a GPA member, IIRC) the GPA has a policy that forbids her members from posting here [size=1][color=grey][ooc][/color][/size] (IC forums only) [size=1][color=grey][/ooc][/color][/size] unless they're authorized by the President. GPA-initiated threads are anyway exempted from that prohibition, or at least the policy is there (very very) looosely applied. In this case we can thus conclude that "grunts" - as you called them - can post here, of course provided that they best represent the GPA by remaining neutral and respectful, and unless the President issued an explicit prohibition in that sense.

To address the implications of your comment "at large" I add that, while you make it sound like the GPA members were some sort of "prisoners", forcibly held in captivity, we are in fact an open society and a democracy: GPA members are free to leave if they wish to; they can propose themselves as candidates for Presidency (to then remove/amend that policy, or with any other platform); they could support someone else that campaigned with that objective/proposal; they could propose a piece of legislation to have that policy modified/cancelled.
When we vote we're all equal and nobody is forced to remain, which in the end should probably suggest that our members are mostly content of our current policies.
[/quote]
Yes, I remember well all of the constricting rules regarding the effective radio silence regarding this discussion medium. Thank you for summarizing that which I already knew. I will however contest that I made any inference that GPAers are prisoners. I realize everyone there is there by their own accord and can leave if they wish. I made that choice myself when I realized some things weren't going to change no matter the position in gov't I held (which was at one point and time President, along with MoIA) or how much support I had vocally. But that is neither here nor there. "Grunts" was a reference to general membership, which is what many alliances frequently call their non-governmental members. My point was that you set the rules; it's your thread.

In regards to everything else: Once it turns into reading an essay of explanations in regards to neutrality and the procedures you bind yourself to I get disinterested. They just don't make much sense to me anymore. I'll just concede to the fact that, whatever, it's your thread,and your Hall. Go nuts. Good luck to all nominees. :awesome:

PS: Vote Kahlan Rahl/Facade (Stagger_Lee) for Pres./VP this summer 2011! :smug:

[quote name='Lennox' timestamp='1295924035' post='2597724']
Do I get an honorable mention for my long term roguery on GPA?
[/quote]

Nominee: Lennox
Rationale: For being the most recently ZI'd dbag/rogue by the GPA due to his military excellence.

Nominee: probablementeno
Rationale: Obvious. He has something like 70 thousand terms as the President/Herder of cats. 3 times more terms as Pres than any other in GPA history, without leaving the alliance, probably 6 times more terms than any former pres still in the alliance.

Seriously, after reading the rules that disqualify both of my previous nominations (prob for being a sitting executive and Lennox for being a joke that isn't funny):

Nominee: Angevin
rationale: back in the day, when most current members of the GPA where still mere thoughts in the minds of their parents, he spawned more hilarious discussion than anyone I knew. He takes precedence over his foil Salpta, because Salpta was less amusing and far more neutral.

Nominee: Gorbie
Rationale: one of the best MoD's the GPA has ever had.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1295825060' post='2594741']
Damn! You stole all my nominations :mad:

[list]
[*][b]Nominee:[/b] Keystroke and Ted of Patjenn(I always forget how write it)
[*][b]rationale:[/b] The first for being an example of how GPA people is nice even after he left GPA and the second for being oneof the most honorable and nice persons that I met.
[/list]
[/quote]

Thank you!

I also support Ted and KM and el bruc

This is an interesting idea. You might also put together a 'Closet of Infamy' so that Valid and Kurushio get a shot. :awesome:

I would nominate for the HoF:

Creative Dynamo - by far, one of the most exemplary members of the GPA, who epitomized the qualities that the GPA [i]should[/i] have had during my time there.

JDMcBoggs - I'd have to repeat myself, but add that Bubba was one helluva funny guy as well.

Namaste,
SWK

[quote name='Sun WuKong' timestamp='1295948121' post='2599727']
This is an interesting idea. You might also put together a 'Closet of Infamy' so that Valid and Kurushio get a shot. :awesome:
[/quote]

I agree... Also, hi there sport

[quote name='Sun WuKong' timestamp='1295948121' post='2599727']JDMcBoggs - I'd have to repeat myself, but add that Bubba was one helluva funny guy as well.

Namaste,
SWK
[/quote]

Can't believe I forgot JDM... He's a great example of a great GPA character