Presenting the GPA HoF

jerdge

[center][color=green][size=7][b]The GPA Hall of Fame[/b][/size]
[i]Public Nominations[/i][/color][/center]

Hello Planet!

The GPA will soon turn five, and in our green halls, we are busy preparing the celebrations for the merry event. You have come to know us by now, thus you are probably already aware that we are simple, quiet people that don't aspire to stay under the spotlight. Our celebrations may not be grand and pompous, but they'll certainly be joyous and, most importantly, sincere. We're grateful and proud of our home, and the small community, that day by day, through good and bad times, steadily built so much in these five years. It is our hope that we'll remain able to do so in the future.

When an anniversary approaches, it's inevitable to look at the past: to reflect about our family's events, ponder our mistakes, and celebrate our joys; it gives us an unique moment to consider our victories and defeats, both our dark and gloomy days as well as the shiny and carefree ones. We've been blessed by an history full of good times, and we are conscious that those times rarely come by luck. Our people, our community and, ultimately, our commitment to our ideals have been and continue to be the instruments of our success: Peace in our souls, and the continued prosperity of our nations.

But while we're certainly committed to Neutrality, we know that we can't become, and we indeed aren't, completely isolated. Accordingly, we can't forget the many friends we have had outside our dear GPA, friends that have honoured us with their understanding and respect throughout the years. We take great pride in being in good standing with so many members of the CN Community, and we appreciate their continued interest towards us. While our fifth anniversary approaches, our kindest thoughts are for these numerous people as well.

Over the course of our history, we have also had many great individuals among our ranks. So many excellent people worked for the greater good of the GPA, and so many still selflessly spend themselves for the alliance right now, that we couldn't possibly name them all, nor give proper recognition to their merits. Some still have to show what they're capable of, and we're sure that they'll have their occasions.

With our fifth anniversary approaching, we have nevertheless decided to give formal recognition to at least some of these great people, and to institute the [color=#008000][b]GPA Hall of Fame (HoF)[/b][/color] to list the most esteemed and outstanding Members of GPA of all time. By listing only a few of them, however, we don't forget the other past and present Members of the alliance; rather, in those great ancestors we recognize our virtues, good qualities, and the attitude that continues to make GPA even better. In those magnificent persons, we recognize a sharper picture of what we strive to be.

We shall initiate the HoF by admitting a number of people (no more than 10) onto the list to solemnize our fifth anniversary. Further, a small number of people (no more than 5) may then be added annually as a part of the festivities of each subsequent anniversary.

GPA is collecting nominations internally from her Members, but we also decided to also ask the opinion of the remaining of CN. You can participate by posting your nominations in this thread.

[b]Nomination rules:[/b]
[list]
[*] Anybody but GPA Members can make nominations here (GPA Members must post their nominations in the appropriate thread at the GPA forums).
[*] Nominations must be posted in this thread.
[*] The Number of nominations per forum user is not limited, but each nomination should be accompanied by a short explanatory reason/rationale on why do you think your nominee belongs to the list; a good, brief rationale dramatically increases the chances of your candidate(s) advancing.
[*] People open for nominations are present or former members of the GPA; long-term commitment to the alliance is preferred.
[*] Current members of the GPA Cabinet (President, Vice-President and the Ministers) are considered ineligible for nominations at this time due to a conflict of interest.
[*] Obvious joke nominations will be ignored, however joke nominations that are actually funny might receive a shoutout.
[/list]

While considering your nominations, we ask you to consider who [b]in your opinion[/b] fulfills the following qualities:

[list]
[*] Exemplified, through their deeds and actions during their time in GPA, strong contribution to our Values of Neutrality, Friendship and Community.
[*] Represented GPA with honor, dignity, respect and consideration, both in public and in private.
[*] Demonstrated exceptional commitment for the alliance through hard work for an extended period of time.
[/list]

GPA may still place further restrictions on the eligibility of the nominees. GPA also retains the right to have the final decision over each and any entry of the Hall of Fame; it's "our stuff" after all, and we opted for a public nomination system, [i]not[/i] an all-out acclamation. Candidates eligible to be listed will be asked for their permission prior their addition to the GPA Hall of Fame.

The final nominees as the HoF candidates will be selected among the suggestions made by the GPA members, and/or in this thread. The actual HoF entries will be decided among the final candidates in a multi-stage voting process, coordinated by the GPA Cabinet and carried out by the membership of GPA.

[b]Required format:[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Nominee:[/b]
[*][b]rationale:[/b]
[/list]
[code][list]
[*][b]Nominee:[/b]
[*][b]rationale:[/b]
[/list][/code]

We request you to identify your nominees by the nation name / ruler name / IRC identity they're most well known of. In case of doubt, please include all such identities you are aware of.

We appreciate your nominations!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[list]
[*][b]Nominee:[/b] Franz Ferdinand
[*][b]Rationale:[/b] Glorious Franz Ferdinand is the Green Protection Agency's only saviour in these times. Vote for Franz Ferdinand for Perma-Leadership of the Green Protection Agency and together, the Green Protection Agency shall leave Peace Mode and become the Number #1 War Alliance which has ever been seen. Glory to the Franz!
[/list]

[quote name='Delta1212' timestamp='1295823883' post='2594697']
[list]
[*][b]Nominee:[/b] El Bruc, Kristin Marie, Mary the Fantabulous, Emperor Fu
[*][b]rationale:[/b] Because somehow they weren't already nominated by someone else.
[/list]
[/quote]

Damn! You stole all my nominations :mad:

[list]
[*][b]Nominee:[/b] Keystroke and Ted of Patjenn(I always forget how write it)
[*][b]rationale:[/b] The first for being an example of how GPA people is nice even after he left GPA and the second for being oneof the most honorable and nice persons that I met.
[/list]

I have three nominations. Unfortunately 1.5 of them were already nominated before I saw this.

Nominee: Abaddon
Rationale: Exemplified the ideals of neutrality and worked tirelessly to make solid, practical reality of them.

Nominee: Emperor Fu
Already nominated, but I have to second the nomination.

Nominee: Patjenn of Ted
Someone else already tried to nominate him, but couldnt remember his name apparently.

All three deserve the nomination, and doubtless others that I cant remember. But if I have to choose one it would be Abaddon.

[quote name='Chaoshawk' timestamp='1295822036' post='2594579']
[list]
[*][b]Nominee:[/b] Sal Paradise
[*][b]rationale:[/b] For his efforts in nuclear proliferation and increasing the nuclear arsenal of the GPA.
[/list]
[/quote]

I doubt the illegitimate government of the GPA will recognize my enormous contributions to the alliance. As such, as Director of Nuclear Proliferation I hereby declare myself the greatest GPA member of all time.

Despite being the Poster of this thread I hope that I can nominate...

Jerdge of Gaela
Rationale: If you can't think of why he would deserve an award, I think you need to get to know him better. :P

MHAil to a former Hitchhiker, and Current GPA-er.

[quote name='KahlanRahl' timestamp='1295822242' post='2594597']If you're going to ask for nominations from all of Bob, you really should put them up to Bob vote, as well. That makes absolutely zero sense to then make it your vote only. <_<[/quote]
You raise a valid concern that has only briefly being mentioned in the OP, and for that I thank you.
If we put it up to vote we could have some obviously undesirable name end high up in the rank - some characters that played a big role in causing/determining the War on Peace come to mind, but I am sure that you can think of others as well - and we would then be forced to veto/disqualify them, as their insertion in the list would be outrageous and offensive for the GPA. Of course, such a scenario would seriously mine the credibility of the whole affair.
Our choice for public nominations is instead a "sort of vote" in itself - meaning that we'd find ourselves embarrassed if we wanted to exclude some qualified and respectable name that had been repeatedly publicly nominated (even assuming that we could have a reason to do that, for that matter) - without it being [i]strictly[/i] binding. In this way everything is transparent from the beginning and everybody knows what to expect.
Bottom line, we [i]wanted[/i] to have external input (as well as internal) and we gave it what we think is the widest feasible room of manoeuvre.

I hope that I cleared your doubts. If not please ask again.

[quote name='Style #386' timestamp='1295822850' post='2594645']What ratio of serious to non-serious nominations are you expecting?[/quote]
I honestly didn't think of that. Is it important?

[quote name='AvengingAngel256' timestamp='1295834694' post='2595058']Despite being the Poster of this thread I hope that I can nominate...

Jerdge of Gaela
Rationale: If you can't think of why he would deserve an award, I think you need to get to know him better. :P

MHAil to a former Hitchhiker, and Current GPA-er.[/quote]

You [i]never[/i] actually read what I write, do you? :P

(I am Cabinet and not eligible, and I am as far as one could be from deserving the GPA HoF, anyway... But thanks! :) )

Note to everybody: you [i]can[/i] nominate someone that has already been nominated (for example to add in the rationale, or for any other reason).

[size=1][[b]Edit:[/b] addressing Kahlan's post + various fixes][/size]

Edited by jerdge