It's Official

Ryan Greenberg

[quote name='youwish959' timestamp='1295225054' post='2577903']
I personally hope this game dies. I hope every last one of you quit playing one day and soon.

Why you ask? Because, that is the only way I'm going to quit.
[/quote]

Likewise

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1295226401' post='2577923']
It's amazing how many of you resign yourselves to just accepting the supposed unstoppable death of this game. Just keep playing and keep trying to play the game you want to play it. So many things are forced here nowadays, the best things come with time. I remember when Pacifica's hegemonic reign had many thing that a Great War could never happen again. I remember when people felt FAN was done and would never be the same as it was before.

And yet some of you at the first sign of trouble resign yourselves to such a thing. Giving up too easily.
[/quote]

Agreeing with AUT here. Chill out people, theres still plenty of fun to be had and its more than premature to be running around with our heads cut off. All you people screaming "the sky is falling" aren't really doing anything to help. If anything having people continuously asserting that the game is dieing is only going to cause more people to leave because they think the game is dieing and its pointless anymore. Self-fullfilling prophecy.

Also, those people blaming Admin are misguided from my point of view. Admin adding in 20 new improvements and some wonders wouldn't make me want to play CN anymore or spike an interest. If anything I would be annoyed at having to invest more time and energy in building my nation and figuring out a new build strategy. Politics are what drive this game, our nations are no more than fancy avatars that serve as mediums of interaction for the far more complex political web that intricately ties us all together

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1295226392' post='2577922']
The way I look at it is its like a parabola, and we are on the downward part of one. It builds and builds, as more things happen, and once that goal is reached (the climax), there is a time of decline, boredom and dissatisfaction. Then when the member count reaches a low, the people who actually care (and also the ignorant) are the ones left, and from there things start happening again, and the cycle continues. Granted I could be proven wrong, just wanted to throw this idea out there.
[/quote]
If it's a cycle you're thinking of, I think you mean a sine wave.

As far as getting more nations around, I still think it'd be good to see how many new nations sign in, and of them how many stay, and why.

[quote name='Qaianna' timestamp='1295240972' post='2578283']
If it's a cycle you're thinking of, I think you mean a sine wave.

As far as getting more nations around, I still think it'd be good to see how many new nations sign in, and of them how many stay, and why.
[/quote]

I stand corrected.

Blasted.

Its pretty clear to me that:

1. Bob has been abandoned by its Creator.

2. A clique of self-important lifers say, "everything is fine" even though the facts and statistics prove the opposite.

3. A million great ideas for rejuvenation and reform are constantly dismissed by the same folks who took advantage of the gaming structure in the first two years.

4. No matter what any of you say, you know as well as I do that the moment CN 2 comes out (or ANYTHING remotely similar to it) that most of us will abandon Bob and let the few score of you who are left play with yourselves and each other.

Its gonna happen sooner or later, so pretend to be witty and stick your heads back in the sand.

(or somewhere else for that matter)

Edited by Henry Rollins

[quote name='Zombie Glaucon' timestamp='1295244554' post='2578367']
What concerns me is how tragically short we are of members who understand the difference between "less" and "fewer".
[/quote]

What he meant seemed reasonably clear to me, so why be pedantic about it?

-Craig

Edited by Comrade Craig

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' timestamp='1295207427' post='2577478']
If you want more people to arrive, start engaging in more conflicts, that way, it'll attract their attention.
[/quote]

More people like you? Yes.

More people? No.

This is a fundamental disconnect between the bulk of the people that are attracted to start this game, and the bulk of the frequent OWF posters. The latter are a minority, but a loud one. The former are quiet, and used to be the majority. As they have been hounded from the game numbers have dropped. Simple.

[quote name='Ninja Colt' timestamp='1295210615' post='2577565']
Also consider that there are about 2900 nations unaligned.
[/quote]

Which is an historic low, and a major contributor to the low total numbers.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1295213481' post='2577668']
Am I the only person who finds these statements completely pretentious and ridiculous? I mean, I guess it's a good thing he made this topic in a universe that uses a base 10 number system, then.
[/quote]

I have seen absolutely no evidence that the universe uses a base 10 number system. If you have any please post it.

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1295222879' post='2577866']
The only thing that is keeping us here is the forums. Without it, we'll be looking at a nation stimulator with a few hundreds or dozens of active players by now. However, most players haven't even ventured into the forums.[/quote]

[i]Au contraire,[/i] these forums, as your second sentence above hints, actually drive more players away than they attract. Everyone agrees it's a perilous cesspool. Most will never venture here under any circumstance, and I cannot blame them.

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1295226392' post='2577922']
The way I look at it is its like a parabola, and we are on the downward part of one. It builds and builds, as more things happen, and once that goal is reached (the climax), there is a time of decline, boredom and dissatisfaction. Then when the member count reaches a low, the people who actually care (and also the ignorant) are the ones left, and from there things start happening again, and the cycle continues. Granted I could be proven wrong, just wanted to throw this idea out there.
[/quote]

This may be the wisest post so far.

[quote name='Vladimir Nikanor' timestamp='1295226774' post='2577934']
When I played this in early 2006, there were FAR less people than there are now. To be honest, I found it more fun back then than I do now. This is a good thing if you ask me; it's leveling the playing field. I'm just waiting for someone to get bored enough to start tossing Peacemakers.
[/quote]

Back then, the game had few alliances; treaties were few, and the separations between factions were very clearly delineated. Now, the game has ten times as many alliances, and they inhabit a treaty web that can only be called an absolute mess. These changes make all the difference, and those of us who were here before Great War 3 are very, very aware of the differences between how things were done then and how things are now. What was once a solid political simulator has been made stagnant and often pointless by the sheer number of treaties signed by so many alliances.

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='Zombie Glaucon' timestamp='1295244554' post='2578367']
What concerns me is how tragically short we are of members who understand the difference between "less" and "fewer".
[/quote]

Admittedly I may or may not have been drunk. Either that or I'm Canadian D:

Interesting things like war cause the nation numbers to decline rather than rise. No major update will make this game more interesting for new players.

The number of people playing this game will decrease regardless of what you do. Just get on with it and play ffs.

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1295247465' post='2578412']
Back then, the game had few alliances; treaties were few, and the separations between factions were very clearly delineated. Now, the game has ten times as many alliances, and they inhabit a treaty web that can only be called an absolute mess. These changes make all the difference, and those of us who were here before Great War 3 are very, very aware of the differences between how things were done then and how things are now. What was once a solid political simulator has been made stagnant and often pointless by the sheer number of treaties signed by so many alliances.
[/quote]
Bingo. This treaty web is making the game unplayable. Nobody can make a move because of it. The "joke" announcements and alliances don't help the atmosphere either.

The game is running its course. Those who wish to change things will find that they are far too late and exist in a time of CN where innovation is largely irrelevant to the creator of the game, and political action is impossible because it requires one to move a combination of hundreds of players and hundreds of alliance leaders to adopt one's position; something much easier said than done.

Nobody is playing for short-term victory anymore either. Everyone's seen the writing on the wall, and everyone's gunning for the victorious endgame. It's CN's last hurrah, and every faction within the game is working to make sure it gets to that point without any flaws. Otherwise, we'd have had several wars and the game would be churning along like always.

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1295248338' post='2578431']
The game is running its course. Those who wish to change things will find that they are far too late and exist in a time of CN where innovation is largely irrelevant to the creator of the game, and political action is impossible because it requires one to move a combination of hundreds of players and hundreds of alliance leaders to adopt one's position; something much easier said than done.

Nobody is playing for short-term victory anymore either. Everyone's seen the writing on the wall, and everyone's gunning for the victorious endgame. It's CN's last hurrah, and every faction within the game is working to make sure it gets to that point without any flaws. Otherwise, we'd have had several wars and the game would be churning along like always.
[/quote]

The final showdown. Who will win CN?

[quote name='Henry Rollins' timestamp='1295244368' post='2578364']
Blasted.

Its pretty clear to me that:

1. Bob has been abandoned by its Creator.

2. A clique of self-important lifers say, "everything is fine" even though the facts and statistics prove the opposite.

3. A million great ideas for rejuvenation and reform are constantly dismissed by the same folks who took advantage of the gaming structure in the first two years.

4. No matter what any of you say, you know as well as I do that the moment CN 2 comes out (or ANYTHING remotely similar to it) that most of us will abandon Bob and let the few score of you who are left play with yourselves and each other.

Its gonna happen sooner or later, so pretend to be witty and stick your heads back in the sand.

(or somewhere else for that matter)
[/quote]

Is this post sarcasm? Because I see a clear argument against every one of your points. So either you're being sarcastic or just stupid. :huh:

[quote name='Vladimir Nikanor' timestamp='1295226774' post='2577934']
When I played this in early 2006, there were FAR less people than there are now. To be honest, I found it more fun back then than I do now. This is a good thing if you ask me; it's leveling the playing field. I'm just waiting for someone to get bored enough to start tossing Peacemakers.
[/quote]
I remember those days very well. I had the most fun developing the game in the early days, back when an update was simply appreciated instead of something that is debated to death and once implemented, cried over.

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1295252503' post='2578476']
Is this post sarcasm? Because I see a clear argument against every one of your points. So either you're being sarcastic or just stupid. :huh:
[/quote]
Thanks for the recent inactivity stat modification admin I for one knew you wouldn't abandon us :)

Every time a thread like this is created someone seems to suggest that what the game really needs is a mass reset or a way to accomplish such a reset without Admin's intervention. That is the worst possible thing that could happen to this game. You do realize that the reason most people haven't left is because of the time they have put into their nations. As humans, we see little difference in the attachment we feel when putting our time and effort into a real world accomplishment and into a virtual accomplishment. If 1, 2, 3, or even 4 years of work was erased, there would be a lot less players than there are now. Many people claim to only stick around for the community but I would bet anything that a person who deletes his/her nation stops checking forums and going on IRC a lot sooner than someone who continues to keep their nation going even in a half-assed manner (yes, certain exceptions may exist, but I'm talking majority here).

Now this isn't to say I'm against a global war that might knock down people's infra levels, but the majority of players won't go for deleting their infra (and tech if it was an option) and wouldn't bother recreating a nation if Admin did a reset.

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1295252503' post='2578476']
[/quote]
Could you please tell us what these clear arguments are? Otherwise I only have his side of the argument and it would lead me to form an opinion that can only be described as "just stupid". Help.

Edited by Sandwich Controversy