It's Official

Ryan Greenberg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The major reasons for the dropping activity level is stagnation (political) and lack of major updates since 7-27-2009 (when the new six space wonders were added in). Just look at the suggestion thread. How many topics have been even [i]looked[/i] at by the Admin, nevertheless rejected/accepted? How many topics that received unanimous support from players were looked at by the Admin? If its so hard to code new updates, couldn't the Admin appoint a team of highly trusted mods that have experience in coding to do the heavy lifting?

The only thing that is keeping us here is the forums. Without it, we'll be looking at a nation stimulator with a few hundreds or dozens of active players by now. However, most players haven't even ventured into the forums.

Maybe the Admin will finally do something about the declining membership when we reach [i]under[/i] 9,000 active players. Or maybe he'll just wait for the revenue from the ads and donations to drop below the server and software maintenance costs before yanking the plug.

[quote name='Kzoppistan' timestamp='1295205985' post='2577432']
That's just less bodies I have to crawl over to get to the top. :smug:
[/quote]

I disagree. Originally I only had to reach 60,000+ NS to get to the top 5%, now its over 90,000 NS. By the time I reach the 90,000 NS, the NS requirement will spike over 120k NS.

Edited by HHAYD

I have an idea.

If admin won't reset, why don't all of the major alliances sign a treaty agreeing to the following: Every nation in a major alliance will sell all of their infrastructure and technology until their infra and tech levels are down to, say, 1000 and 50 (respectively)? We could call it something like "The Rejuvenation Treaty."

Those with the most tech and infra will have the most money to purchase more tech and infra to rebuild (not to mention improvements); those with the least will have the least amount of money to rebuild.

If we want to level the game (and make it so people have less to lose and thus are more likely to engage in risky conduct) there is no need to wait for Admin to do it. We can do it ourselves.

Edited by New Pilmour

[quote name='New Pilmour' timestamp='1295224332' post='2577887']
I have an idea.

If admin won't reset, why don't all of the major alliances sign a treaty agreeing to the following: Every nation in a major alliance will sell all of their infrastructure and technology until their infra and tech levels are down to, say, 1000 and 50 (respectively)? We could call it something like "The Rejuvenation Treaty."

Those with the most tech and infra will have the most money to purchase more tech and infra to rebuild (not to mention improvements); those with the least will have the least amount of money to rebuild.

If we want to level the game (and make it so people have less to lose and thus are more likely to engage in risky conduct) there is no need to wait for Admin to do it. We can do it ourselves.
[/quote]

Technology: 50.43
Infrastructure: 999.08
Nation Strength: 3,886.112

A surprising source for this idea indeed.

And to those who say "nobody would trust anyone else to go along with it", might I suggest peer pressure--- if there is really overwhelming support for something like this (and there might well be), public ridicule will force a few lone holdouts to comply (or else suffer from a lot of war).

If the top fifteen alliances in the game agreed to it, it could work.

I have an idea.

[/quote]

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' timestamp='1295224825' post='2577898']
Technology: 50.43
Infrastructure: 999.08
Nation Strength: 3,886.112

A surprising source for this idea indeed.
[/quote]

Tell you what. If the NPO signs on to it, I will agree to destroy all of my improvements and bring both tech and infra to 0.

Edit: Ad hominem aside, judge the idea on its merits and potential benefits. All I've heard since rejoining the game (used to play in 2006/7) is people whingeing about stagnation and a re-set. A voluntary reset would be a far better move, and a far more noble one.

Edited by New Pilmour

I have an idea.

[/quote]

There's no way to destroy technology, other than [b]very[/b] slowly through warfare. Nor money, for that matter, so anyone with even a moderate warchest could be at their original strength pretty quickly. No dice, mate.

The way I look at it is its like a parabola, and we are on the downward part of one. It builds and builds, as more things happen, and once that goal is reached (the climax), there is a time of decline, boredom and dissatisfaction. Then when the member count reaches a low, the people who actually care (and also the ignorant) are the ones left, and from there things start happening again, and the cycle continues. Granted I could be proven wrong, just wanted to throw this idea out there.

Edited by Axolotlia

It's amazing how many of you resign yourselves to just accepting the supposed unstoppable death of this game. Just keep playing and keep trying to play the game you want to play it. So many things are forced here nowadays, the best things come with time. I remember when Pacifica's hegemonic reign had many thing that a Great War could never happen again. I remember when people felt FAN was done and would never be the same as it was before.

And yet some of you at the first sign of trouble resign yourselves to such a thing. Giving up too easily.

[quote name='Kzoppistan' timestamp='1295210490' post='2577559']
(Where's my high horse.... oh, there it is.)

There's really only about 300 of us, anyway, Bob.

:mad: Cannonfodder :mad:

(dismounts)
[/quote]
This is where you step back and you realize that I'm actually you. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/awesome.gif[/img]

When I played this in early 2006, there were FAR less people than there are now. To be honest, I found it more fun back then than I do now. This is a good thing if you ask me; it's leveling the playing field. I'm just waiting for someone to get bored enough to start tossing Peacemakers.

I have an idea.

[/quote]
And then the folks with multi-billion dollar warchest could buy their way back to their former stats after selling their infra, repeatedly. Oh, and you can't sell tech, you can only give it away. The max amount of tech a player can give away with the Disaster Relief Agency is 900 tech per month, which would take over a year for many of the high tier players, several years for the extremely tech heavy players (+10,000).

No one would even try to delete their precious, precious pixels. Some would wait for everyone else to do it before they do. Meanwhile, some of those "everyone else" would also think the same thing.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='SirWilliam' timestamp='1295226972' post='2577939']
At this point there have been just about as many of these threads and posts as there are nations remaining. Goddamn, give it a rest already.
[/quote]
Alright. Jesus. I rarely ever read the OWF anymore because it is usualy filled with bull !@#$, so I didn't know there were dozens of threads about this. I only checked the first page to see if there were any topics touching the issue. I didn't see any, so I decided to post this thread because I think that going under 20,000 nations is a pretty sad event for a game that I've played for since 2008.

Say what you like. Say the game is dying, say there's no way to revive it, that's cool. But when you're done band wagoning the "end of the world" theory, take a step back and look at the way things happen.

Think of the international community as an alliance, because after all, we are one big happy family. Many alliances in this world have failed, yet others have stuck around. Why? A core group of members that love it for what it is. So, even if we lose another 10,000 members, we'll still have that 9k and some change number of people that really enjoy this game. So what if the world isn't as populated as it once was? That just means those that remain enjoy this for what it is more than those that have left.

Admin implementing tons of changes won't make the game better. I think it's fine the way it is. Stop complaining and work on your nations or something. Start a global war, I don't care. We're here to have fun, and as long as a certain group of us never forgets that, nothing will die.

Granted, it can die if Admin pulls the plug and decides to spend his money on blow or something, but even then, we've still gotten far more from this than we've ever put into it. I've made friends (Strange, I know) that I wouldn't have otherwise. And if I'm to believe kindergarten, friendship is the most important currency (behind the pound).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if this is the death spiral of our world, stop !@#$%*ing and enjoy it. For when it's all said and done, you don't want to look at your last few months on this planet and think "damn, I wish I hadn't complained so much and had just enjoyed it".

That's all for this episode. See you next week on Ernesto's "How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb".

[quote name='Ryan Greenberg' timestamp='1295230149' post='2578037']
Alright. Jesus. I rarely ever read the OWF anymore because it is usualy filled with bull !@#$, so I didn't know there were dozens of threads about this. I only checked the first page to see if there were any topics touching the issue. I didn't see any, so I decided to post this thread because I think that going under 20,000 nations is a pretty sad event for a game that I've played for since 2008.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Perhaps my point could have been better made, it just seems like such sentiments come up frequently without doing much to fix the problems being identified.

[quote name='Ernesto Che Guevara' timestamp='1295230300' post='2578040']
Say what you like. Say the game is dying, say there's no way to revive it, that's cool. But when you're done band wagoning the "end of the world" theory, take a step back and look at the way things happen.

Think of the international community as an alliance, because after all, we are one big happy family. Many alliances in this world have failed, yet others have stuck around. Why? A core group of members that love it for what it is. So, even if we lose another 10,000 members, we'll still have that 9k and some change number of people that really enjoy this game. So what if the world isn't as populated as it once was? That just means those that remain enjoy this for what it is more than those that have left.

Admin implementing tons of changes won't make the game better. I think it's fine the way it is. Stop complaining and work on your nations or something. Start a global war, I don't care. We're here to have fun, and as long as a certain group of us never forgets that, nothing will die.

Granted, it can die if Admin pulls the plug and decides to spend his money on blow or something, but even then, we've still gotten far more from this than we've ever put into it. I've made friends (Strange, I know) that I wouldn't have otherwise. And if I'm to believe kindergarten, friendship is the most important currency (behind the pound).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if this is the death spiral of our world, stop !@#$%*ing and enjoy it. For when it's all said and done, you don't want to look at your last few months on this planet and think "damn, I wish I hadn't complained so much and had just enjoyed it".

That's all for this episode. See you next week on Ernesto's "How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb".
[/quote]

Amen brother.

[quote name='Chaoshawk' timestamp='1295210570' post='2577562']
Acquire more invasion alliances.
[/quote]

They'd all come in with 0 NS nations. It would take years for them to become viable forces in the game.

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1295230504' post='2578047']
They'd all come in with 0 NS nations. It would take years for them to become viable forces in the game.
[/quote]

I disagree with that Crymson. Granted, they can't come in now and be traditional powers without a year at least of peace under their belt, and that might just might let them be effective ankle-biters. If their members are active they can vote though, and there is never going to be an excess of tech sellers in the current scheme of things; so pick a smaller color, pick a side and BAM! they are in business. All they need is active, loyal members and they can make an impact.

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1295230504' post='2578047']
[/quote]

But look who won most controversial.