[i]Ray, a drop of golden sun
Me, a name I call myself
Far, a long long way to run
Sew, a needle pulling thread
La, a note to follow sew
Tea, I drink with jam and bread
That will bring us back to
Doe...oh...oh...oh...[/i]

Lance sighed heavily as he turned down the radio next to him – it was simply distracting him from the work he was doing, rather than helping him concentrate. But, then again, he wasn’t actually doing work – he was in a comfortable sitting room within Château Jubilife, watching television with Maylene and Max. But the show they were watching was quite important – it was a live news report that would determine the future of the entire Federation.

For him and the rest of the Government, 2012 was the best of times. They entered the New Year with a bang throughout the nation; the people were simply ecstatic. The previous year, while having been pockmarked with terrible events, was nevertheless extremely good for the Federation in many fields. They strengthened politically, they profited economically, they liberalized socially...it seemed that the trend would continue on to the next year.

And yet, it was now the worst of times. Just days after the New Year, several political factions within Disparu suddenly sprang up from their dormant state. It was probably the second FLQ crisis that instigated this – the public, which used to be politically apathetic and trusted the Government in everything, became quite cross after seeing the Government’s incompetence before, during, and after the crisis. Many terrible things had apparently happened, things that the Government had, indeed, covered up. As many public inquiries were launched on the subject, the Government’s fidelity to its laws and constitution continued to falter. It was revealed that many internal and international dealings by the Government were unconstitutional, as they simply bypassed constitutional protocol and other necessary red tape.

As more inquiries were launched and the Government began to slowly die, an enraged group of concerned citizens, led by one Lamont deSolidor, demanded the dissolution of the Federation, as they felt that the number of treacheries against its constitution by its own Government were simply enough to destroy the people’s confidence in it. They pursued legal means to do this – eventually they found out that a referendum could easily be arranged by the Government if enough pressure was applied.

The Executive Council told deSolidor that, as he was not a Government official, he would need to get many signatures from citizens first in order to launch an important referendum such as this. Originally, the Council told him to get a hundred thousand signatures – the amount specified by laws regarding petitions to the Government. He garnered all of those signatures within a short timeframe, proving that the people were, indeed, demanding that the Federation be dissolved. However, the Council instead told him that he needed more than twelve and a half million signatures, or more than three-quarters of the population. After all, an important decision such as this should get the approval of a majority of Disparueans in order to get passed. The Council snickered as deSolidor left; they knew that he would never get that many signatures, and Disparu would continue to exist in the future.

A week later, deSolidor and many of his supporters crashed into the Council’s chambers in Parliament. He was holding a large, leather-bound book that looked extremely tattered; the others also appeared to be doing the same. He set it down on the central table; looking at the shocked Councillors with a smug expression on his face, he declared that he and his supporters had gathered more than fifteen-million signatures. The Council and the rest of the Government reluctantly agreed, and a referendum was scheduled a few days later.

Back in the present, the Royal Family sat alone in their Château, awaiting the results of the referendum. In a few minutes, Elections Disparu would finish tallying the results of the referendum, and the results would be declared. What would happen next, he did not want to know.

A loud ding interrupted Lance’s thoughts. Turning to the television, he nervously noted that the referendum’s results had been processed and published. He already knew the results, based on the public’s reaction to the whole referendum thing, but he still hoped that things would turn for the better.

[i]“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. The referendum’s results have been processed and finalized by Elections Disparu here in their command centre in Québec City. First off, Elections Disparu officials have noted that the voter turnout was 96%, which is the highest turnout to date in Disparuean history. Sadly, this will also be the last job of Elections Disparu if the referendum passes...

For those who are unaware of the referendum’s specifics, it simply asked voters the question, “Should the Federation of Disparu and its Government be dissolved?” Note that the Government does not appear to have a back-up plan in case of a ‘Yes’ victory as of yet, so the entire country could simply fall into a state of anarchy if the ‘Yes’ side succeeds...

The results are now being streamed all the way from Québec City. The...’Yes’ side has prevailed, with 97% of voters voting for it. 2% voted for ‘No,’ while the rest were considered invalid by Elections Disparu..."[/i]

Lance buried his face into his hands. He was nearly reduced to tears by the results, but was interrupted by a knock on the door. Lance rose and opened the door, revealing Shinku Cinquette, the Royal Clerk.

“Your Royal Majesty, it’s time,” she said silently.

Lance nodded, turned to his family, and followed the Clerk out of the Château.

Outside Château Jubilife, a podium had been set up. Behind it were seats occupied by the members of the Executive Council, the Judicial Triumvir, and representatives from the Commons and the Senate. Next to them were flagpoles bearing the flags of Disparu and the four provinces.

Lance approached the podium, and faced the sea of reporters. All of them were oddly silent. Beyond the reporters stood Parliament, its sleek form illuminated by lights.
He cleared his throat, and began to speak.

“My...fellow Québécois. Tonight, I speak to you not as your Monarch, nor as a Disparuean citizen, but rather as a citizen of Québec – a part of the living culture that embodies us. You see, while the Government may choose to use force in an attempt to keep the nation bound by its laws, as many states have done before, we choose not to do so. You see, the spirit and strength of a state lies not on its military might or its political strength, but in its people. You, the Québécois, are the ones that kept the dream of the Disparu Committee alive; it is also you that shall decide the direction which the state shall go. I, Caitlin, Cynthia...and the other members of the Disparu Committee were glad to serve Québec, and aid it in its plight to assert its sovereignty. We have now done our part – now that the Québécois have voted to dissolve our current state, and move on to a more stable one...I, as the head of state of the Federation of Disparu, hereby declare the Constitution, Government, and the Federation of Disparu null and void. I ask Pravus Ingruo and any of our immediate allies to establish law and order within Québec so that a state of anarchy shall not triumph within it. The Federation has always believed in peace, order, and good government, and we believe that should continue even though we are now gone...”

Lance sighed, turned, and proceeded back to the Château. The reporters quickly rushed forward, eager to ask questions, but a group of anarchists suddenly broke into the area, bringing it into disarray...

A few hours later, Lance, Maylene and Max found themselves in the back of a van, trying to sleep after all the things that had happened to them. Behind them was the city of Jubilife in ruins – smoke arose from many of its streets and buildings. After the announcement, anarchists and the like had launched a riot and the city, and had destroyed many of its beautiful landmarks. They were, fortunately, able to escape without a scratch. They did not know if the same could be said for the rest of the Government.

The van soon found itself entering the city of Montréal and navigating its streets. It came to a rest in front of an apartment, one that was extremely familiar to the family. Lance got off the van and grabbed his suitcase – Maylene and Max did the same. With a smile on his face, Lance walked towards the apartment, eager to restart his life as a commoner. He was, after all, a commoner before the founding of Disparu – becoming one again shouldn’t be hard.

Max took out his MP3 player and opened its radio player. He wanted to know what was happening in Québec now that the old state was gone. Instead, he found himself listening to a radio station playing songs from The Sound of Music. The one they were playing right now sounded oddly appropriate for them.

[i]There's a sad sort of clanging
From the clock in the hall
And the bells in the steeple too,
And up in the nurs'ry an absurd little bird
Is popping out to say "coo coo".

Regretfully they tell us,
But firmly they compel us
To say goodbye to you.

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to you and you and you.

So long, farewell, Au'voir, auf wiedersehen,
I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, goodbye,
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye,
Good bye

I'm glad to go,
I cannot tell a lie.
I flit, I float,
I fleetly flee, I fly.

The sun has gone to bed and so must I
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye,
Goodbye,
Goodbye,
Goodbye![/i]

OOC:

After more than a year of being here in CNRP, I’m finally saying goodbye. While I’d love to stay and continue roleplaying, real life is simply too busy, and I find myself unable to juggle all of my offline and online activities. Now that I am no longer preoccupied with the Internet, I should be able to take care of my studies again.

I won’t make any shout-outs to anyone in this thread; I’ll personally message you if I feel the need to do so. However, I would like to thank the CNRP community as a whole for making me a better person in real life (really!). You’ve thought me how to deal with people, how to become a better writer, how international politics (in a way) works, and a lot of other interesting things that I owe to you guys.

This is Pikachurin, signing out. o7

While the Empire is shocked and saddened at the loss of the Kingdom of Disparu, we will not allow anarchy to reign on North America, especially so close to our border. Pursuant to the Dobbs Doctrine, the lands of the Kingdom of Disparu are here by declared a protectorate of the Empire of Pravus Ingruo. As we speak, the 8th and 9th Armies are deploying north to maintain law and order. Foreign governments are asked to keep out, we are quite capable of maintaining law and order ourselves. Since the land is now a protectorate of the Empire, any attack on that land shall be treated as an attack on the Empire proper.

- Emperor Sir Michael Harland

OoC: Goodbye Pika, you were definetly one of the best of all of the RPers. So sad to see you leave. ;_;

IC:

PRIVATE:

-Well, they didn't dissolve because of us.

-Nope...

*silence*

-Now what?

-----------------------

Public:

The Labrador public is honestly shocked by this announcement. They didn't expect Disparu to go like this.

The Labaradorean government offers no comment.

OOC: Aww...I hope we'll see you again, Pikachurin.
See you!

IC:

[b][Private, somewhere in Sri Lanka][/b]

"So they didn't last for as long as we would've thought."
"Ironic...Canada, under Father's successor, did the same. They simply voted the nation out of existence."
"Always the same, it seems."
"Ah, well...At least the Vault is fully sealed. But we will have to work on our relations with PI now."
"If we ever want to open it, that is."
"True. Hopefully, it will stay sealed."
The other nodded. Neither of them were in a good mood, now that the 'actual' successor nation of Canada went into anarchy.
Bad times.

Edited by Lynneth

"The Union of Arctica regrets the dissolution of its friend and territorial partner Disparu. But the people have spoken and their word has been heard. We wish the best for the people of former Disparu, and will be withdrawing our ambassador from Jubilife."

Before the riots ensued, the ambassador was evacuated by helicopter and brought to a private boat, which would take him and his staff to an East Coast nation and back to Arctica. Embassy records had been destroyed, and all anyone would find was intact furniture and fixtures, the lights off, and a handwritten note on the former ambassador's desk, reading:

"On behalf of my government, I thank you for your hospitality, but I must depart. It's been good. -J.M Daladier"

OOC: See ya man, come back sometime.

OOC: Goodbye Pika. You truly were one of the best, so try to return soon.

IC: Nunavut is in a state of mourning over the loss of such a noble state. We wish the former citizens the best of luck, though we doubt they'll need it whilst under the protection of Pravus Ingruo.

OOC: Goodbye, and good luck Pikachurin. The wiki just lost one of it's most valuable contributors.

IC: President Ahmadinejad spoke briefly on the dissolution of the Federation of Disparu, "We have lost a valuable friend today. We wish the Disparuean citizens the best of luck in establishing a new government, and await in eager hope, that the Embassy at Two Embassy Circle, will be inhabited again."

"We are deeply saddened to see our once great northern neighbor fall. We sincerely hope that the people of Disparu find a new home, a new nation to live in, however we highly doubt it shall be one as noble as the one that came before. Flags in Plymouth will fly at half-mast in morning for this fallen state."

OOC: Goodbye Pikachurin, and good luck with life away from CNRP.