A Pearl on the Adriatic

Sarah Tintagyl

While further Athenian Pressure along with a shaking of the dissidents loyalty to the Di Lavenza Revolutionaries, the Northern Italian War of Liberation finally began to come to a close. However this was not before the Revolutionaries had spread their ideals and their desires of independence from the Athenians to all the cities of Northern Italy, yet so many at the last moment had decided to turn their backs and say a fleeting good-bye to the cause of Italian Independence. However, for all their work the Revolutionaries, some dead, some fleeing, could sleep soundly knowing they had won at least one victory. Venice. The Venetians, unlike the Milanese had taken to the revolution with a bit more class than simply letting their city and countryside be destroyed by rioters and Athenian regulars. Instead, the shrewd eternal merchants had appealed directly to Athens for independence. The Athenians had been reluctant to give it, however as the people of Venice banded together democratically it was hard for the Greeks to impose their rule when it was clear that the Venetians did not want it, nor were they going to kill each other to receive it, protest to be sure, but it was a systematic and cultural way of doing things. A way that the Venetians hope to continue their politics in the same manner.

On the day that the Athenians were to withdraw from the city it was planned for the most festive day of the year, Carnivale and as the Athenian Flag was taken down from the ramparts of the Doge's Palace and St. Mark's Cathedral, both of which would now have full use again, masks donned the streets and fireworks filled the air. Then the crowds gathered in the various plazas of the city grew silent if only for a moment, as the newly elected Doge of Venice, Tommaso Barezi, along with the Council of Ten walked out to address the crowd. Tommaso, in a black suit and tie, with the Lion of Venice pinned on his collar was only thirty-five years old and still had the handsomeness of his youth. He had been a leader of the Venetian Movement for Liberation and had become personal friends with Jean-Luc Picard, the Athenian Foreign Minister on his trips to Greece.

Clearing his throat the Doge walked to the podium and placed his hands firmly on the sides.

"Venice! My Venice! Today, the culmination of our work, of our passion to be one people to stand and think independently finally comes to birth. With Athenian help and the desire of all Venetians to be one recognizable people, we once again can see the flag of our ancient Republic fly over the ramparts of the city. There is much work to be done as the Athenian army has stated their intention to finally withdraw from the region of Veneto and our own men and women of a new Venetian standing army will protect the people of Padua, Verona, and Venice for weeks, months, years, and eternities to come. While we are a small nation, flanked by larger empires, kingdoms, and republics, we Venetians will do what we can to bring back the glory to our section of the Adriatic and to once again remake Venice into the pearl that she was and is destined to become again.

Until then..." He reached back to one of the men of the Council of Ten and took a tall champagne glass. "...It is Carnivale and our work has paid off, to the people of the Republic of Venice I wish you well and to the world I have my own promise to make." He raised the glass and smiled. "I hope prosperity is always at your doorstep, your nations know peace, and that you will always have a friend in the Serene Republic, the Pearl of the Adriatic."

After the crowds cheered and all manner of waltz and dance escaped through the city, Tommaso turned back away from the podium and sighed at the other members of the Council. Those he could trust and those he couldn't. "Well gentlemen, now the fun begins. For all of us."

While fireworks blasted of various colors well into the night sky.

That was perfect for him. Nobody could recognize him, at least not easily, in his fancy suit and while under his mask. For a while, he'd be again just a number in the crowd. He looks up at the fireworks and smiles optimistically, moving on to have a nice time and a nice meal as well - such an environment was optimal for it. The fact that it was such a small state was good as well to keep a low profile. This time, maybe, there would be no Martens sightings.

As Martens walked down a street, someone tapped his shoulder. If he turned to look, he would see a woman in her early thirties, a mask concealing all but her mouth, which showed a smile.
"I wish you a wonderful day, Michel."

Then she already turned to leave. If he followed the woman, he might not lose her in the dense crowd, the simple but cheerful dress making it hard to find her in the crowd, where there were a thousand such dresses.

[i]A pearl on the Adriatic....[/i]

"[i]At the crossroads fair I'll be surely there, and I'll dress in my Sunday clothes[/i]," Annan sang to herself as the events of Carnivale blared away on the small, hanging telly. "It seems now that Italy has its own star of the County Down." She flicked through the factbook provided by the ship's owners, smiling to herself at how things changed so quickly. The factbook's revision dated stated itself as done a month earlier; in but four weeks, Standard Non-Country time, its information was incorrect. Outdated. Disproved.

"And to think," Annan said to herself as she ran her eyes over those outdated words, "they were highwaymen. They came riding, riding...the highwaymen came riding, up to Bess's old inn door...."

From behind her, a couple of passengers looked at her strangely. What did a poem by Alfred Noyes have to do with the world's latest declaration of independence?

Edited by SK Wynter

He raised an eyebrow and turned around. He remembered that voice very well. But anyway, he soon missed her in the vast and confusing crowd. He was mildly annoyed that someone recognized him to begin with, and then that they "escaped".

"Oh bob SAGET!"

So much for his stealth. He'd have to try a better disguise next year.

Bronzed, oiled, bare-chested and wearing a tu-tu, former Canuckistan Admiral Grundy Balzac also attended the celebration in disguise, though no one would recognize him anyway. Having consumed far too much wine he desperately needed to relieve himself. He approached a man (this Martens fellow) nearby at random.

"[i]Mi scusi[/i]," he said in his awful Italian, "[i]dov'è il bagno[/i]?"

OOC: (translation - excuse me, where is the toilet?)

[color="#000080"]The Republic of Transvaal grants diplomatic recognition of the Doge of Venice.

OOC: We will assign our current ambassador to the former (IG) Hanseatic League, Jan Smit Jonkers, as our representation in Venice (IG Duchy of Milan).[/color]

Edited by Botha

While it saddened the Federation to cede with its land the response would be positive. Upon declaration of independence the area was cleared from Athenian forces within days. Furthermore legislation passed giving Venice a special status. Traffic of persons and goods across the Federation would remain unhindered.

"Our thanks to England, Transvaal, and the Kingdom of Baron for diplomatic recognition, hopefully a true friendship will blossom from your nations and the people of Venice in the subsequent months. As to our Athenian neighbors, the tact, discipline, and respect you have given us will always be remember and Venice is thankful for your dedication for continual free-trade between our peoples. It clearly shows the relationships between daughter and mother even after separation is still strong."
-Doge Tommaso Barezi

Martens replies in his latispanitalianish with a slight northeastern accent: "Il bagno? Delle donna o uomini?" He chuckles "Io non sabere!" - And the he wanders off to find more alcohol and more...womanly women. Good thing he didn't want them to talk with, since with his butchered speak that'd be a bit of a problem.

OOC: Ladies or guy's bathroom? I don't know.

Edited by Kaiser Martens

[b]A Private Leader From The President of The United States To The New State of Venice[/b]

[i]Welcome to this marvelous and unforgivable world. One filled with greed and charity, wisdom and stupidity.
Although it won't take my recognition for your new nation to be found independent, I do extend it to it's fullest intensity. The United States, likewise myself, are very grateful to see that this revolution is over and that peace can return to southern Europe for now.

And so, I declare official recognition of your independence. Congratulations on succeeding on your difficult campaign to freedom and liberty.

-President David O'Reilly[/i]

Edited by PresidentDavid

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1294964636' post='2574510']
We hope you have more luck with waste management collection than previous italian regimes.

OOC: And you thought RPing the French made you the butt of jokes. :awesome:
[/quote]

"Its definitely something we hope to look into, though I don't think you could get any worse than the Fascist scum that inhabited Italy before the various other Italian Federations."

OOC: Just so long as I stay the center of attention B-)

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1294981112' post='2574699']
"Its definitely something we hope to look into, though I don't think you could get any worse than the Fascist scum that inhabited Italy before the various other Italian Federations."

OOC: Just so long as I stay the center of attention B-)
[/quote]

Well you could be a [color=red]mod edit[/color]

Edited by Keelah
Removed inappropriate linked item.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1295045078' post='2575425']
Well you could be a [color="#FF0000"]modedit[/color]
[/quote]

The UFE of course talking about an Italian Leader of the distant past. Though they were colorful weren't they, then again I'm sure all Chinese leaders past and present have a clean record. It wonders why the world can't be more like China. Alas, all we can do is bask in your greatness.

Edited by Keelah
Mod Edit

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' timestamp='1295050015' post='2575513']
The UFE of course talking about an Italian Leader of the distant past. Though they were colorful weren't they, then again I'm sure all Chinese leaders past and present have a clean record. It wonders why the world can't be more like China. Alas, all we can do is bask in your greatness.
[/quote]

Alas, this is so. We can only hope in the future that all nations can embrace a glorious celestial bureaucracy endowed with a mandate of heaven.