Hello Nod

Sir Keshav IV

[quote name='Executive Minister' timestamp='1295046370' post='2575452']
OOC: I totally agree. If i see one of Triyun's Shotty-ICBMs flying towards me, i'm nuking Beijing... but that's besides the point.

These are not ICBMs, these are air launched anti-ship cruise missiles. Again, I've launched 20 missiles. Should Keshav win all 4 SDI rolls against them, the Monacans will see 16ish conventional weapons go off hitting his ships. How they'd be able to say, hey! Nod tried to fire more nukes is beyond me...

But again, I couldn't, and wouldn't stop Centurius from pre-emptively nuking me again, at least, minus the IC knowledge that I tried to nuke keshav's fleet.
[/quote]

OOC: Derp, I completely forgot the missiles came from your ships. :v:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Executive Minister' timestamp='1294847645' post='2573151']
[b][u]
[/u][/b]"Excellent. Strikes 1 through 3, you are clear to engage enemy AWACs with [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-37_%28missile%29"]SARAH-37[/url]s. Repeat, launch [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=65298&view=findpost&p=1945164"]SARAH-37[/url]s."

Ripples of steam left the internal weapons bays of the FN-23s as they launched their missiles at their maximum combat radii of 398 km.

Clarissa nodded to herself, sure in her actions and how merciful she was for targeting only military targets- namely what the world would later come to know as [color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][i]Battlegroup Méditerranée [/i] [/font][font="Arial"][color="#000000"]and the[/color] [/font][/color][color="#5d5d5d"][i]Battlegroup Ligur. [/i][color="#000000"]"Janet, prepare to launch the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-22"]Eviscerators[/url]."

"Yeah CAG," the weapon Officer's voice seemed distant as the key strokes continued, "setting the altitude detonation to be as close to sea level minus thirty as possible.... its done."

[b]"This is Alpha Leader,"[/b] Clarissa announced over the Nodic Battlenet, [b]"confirm launch readiness of class D weapons."

<<Bravo two>>

<<Charlie three>>

<<Delta fower>>

"Copy that, launch missiles, change heading due east."

<<For the preservation of Nod>>

<<For Addis Ababa>>

[/b]The 20 AN-1s each launched a single Eviscerator in the direction of both Marseilles and Toulon. The large missiles' delta wings and tails extended and the projectiles rocketed to the sky at mach 4.5, guided by the Inertial Navigation System (INS) that Clarissa's weapons Officer parameterised. These missiles would be instructed to fire in a ballistic trajectory over 400 km North east, heading with surgical precision for France's main [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Navy#Bases"]military ports[/url] of Marseilles and Toulon, where a large portion of Monacan naval shipping was stationed and was incidentally the highest priority for a preemptive strike aimed at decapitating the force projection powers of the coalition in the Mediterranean.

When the Eviscerators were above their targets, midcourse stage would be completed, and terminal phase would begin. The warheads would begin an active radar guidance mode as they plummeted to earth at frightening speeds. Their seekers were so discreet that the missiles were able to target discriminate.

Today's barrage consisted of twenty four weapons directed at both ports, ten missiles a port. In each salvo, two weapons would be loaded with a 50 kiloton nuclear warhead, a drastic decline in capacity compared to a maximum of 1000 kt. These four weapons would be aimed at detonating as far [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAKER_test#Test_Baker"]below the surface of the ocean as possible[/url], localizing the blast and radiation of the warheads, and channeling most of the kinetic energy of the blast underwater, forming a column of highly concentrated radioactive fog that would shoot upwards for dozens of meters and eventually blanket the water and adjacent port facilities of the military bases, keeping collateral damage to a comparable absolute minimum. Ships would be destroyed enmass, if not then rendered highly contaminated and unusable for the duration of their service lives. The shock wave should travel through the water, cracking keels and leveling the coastline's port facilities.

The other twenty Eviscerators would use a 900 kg High Explosive Semi-Armor Penetrating warheads, prioritizing naval vessels of Monaco that were destroyer to carrier sized in a mop-up effort after the four blasts.

OOC: SOM's AA has destroyed

[/color][/color]4 FN-23 Air Superiority Crafts
4 AN-1 Krieg Fast Close Air Support Craft
9 F/AN-37 Strike Fighters

34 Kh-55 missiles

I've launched 14 new kh-55s at SOM's air bases on Palma.

I've launched 20 air launched anti-ship ballistic missiles at Toulon and Marseilles. 2 nuclear 50 kt warheads are aimed to blast in the waters of each port, for a total for 4 nuclear weapons. I don't care whether or not Keshav wants to SDI roll for them, be my guest. The rest of the conventional warheads are targeting large military vessels like cruisers, battleships and carriers.
[/quote]

<<AWACS>>

"Missile launches detected towards AWACS I repeat launches detected"

The AWACS prepared evasion maneuvers but was to late and 8 out of 12 AWACS were destroyed while 1 had to be grounded as there was major damage.

Before being downed the AWACS detected a cluster of fighters about 395 KM away from Monaco. With that knowledge the Air Force readied to launch 300 aircrafts from it's air bases in Monaco and Toulon.

<< Nukes >>

The Strategic Defense Command detected 20+ missiles being launched at Marseilles and Toulon . The Strategic Defense Initiative was able to shoot down 1 missile while 3 hit the ocean floor and the cloud created made the Monaco High Command realize it was a nuclear blast. The fleet stationed at Toulon was completely lost while the majority of the fleet stationed at Marseilles was lost. 5 Corvettes, 4 landing Ships, 3 cruisers, 3 frigates were lost while none of the submarines were lost as they were submerged at the time of the attack. One Air Craft carrier sank after the attack created a hole in it's hull ( Saratoga [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/awesome.gif[/img] ) and which was beyond repair and with the radioactive waters the Carrier was abandoned while another was contaminated with radioactive material and could not be used.

<< Attack on remaining ships >>

The Close-in Weapon systems on the four destroyers were activated and the 14 of the incoming 20 missiles. The PNS Victoire Destroyer was damaged as 3 missiles directly hit the destroyer and could not be used any further.

OOC: Any numbers needing to be changed just tell me :P

(Genesis Central Command)

Intelligence had arrived at Athens that Nod was continuing to use nuclear force against allied forces, because of this authorities had deemed it time to go for alternative tactics. Over the last few days satellites had observed Nod, they had specifically noted that there were a lot of forces neaar Ethiopian and Sudanese borders. Before issuing orders allies in the area were informed, a general message was also sent to the coalition.

General Rackow too had obtained noticed and sighed as he passed it on, the Imperial launch keys had been entered externally, the same counted for the People's key so now it was up for the military key which he controlled.

The targets were the Nodic forces at the Sudanese/Ethiopian border and those at the Eritrean/Ethiopian border. Great care would be taken to avoid hitting Novak, in addition the only 2 500kt warheads in the entire Federation were loaded on the missiles. This was a warning not destruction.

As Rackow entered his key the room turned red and a countdown was activated.

"Nuclear Launch in 30 seconds"

In addition to launching 2 missiles all others were put in a pre-firing phase so they could launch relatively quickly, secondly production of new warheads would continue to compensate for the loss.

As the countdown finished 2 silos opened, one in northern Bulgaria and another in southern Italy. The 2 ICBMs would soon reach their maximum speed anddescend roughly 10-15 minutes later at the 2 troop formations of Nod for an airburst.

Edited by Centurius

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' timestamp='1294851208' post='2573183']
--Palma
--NCHQ

[i]"Commander Yarrick! Enemy aircraft have swerved into normal combatant zone; they're using bloody decoys."[/i]

[i]"Very well. What is the status reports of the damages incurred thus far Captain?"[/i]

A moment of silence passed by as the pinging of computers vehemently continued. [i]"Much of our northern SAM capacity has been crippled, especially due to concurrent napalm strikes; all three air bases have sustained at least moderate damages due to missile strikes, especially our northern air capacity, which has been nearly terminated,"[/i] replied Allis in a grim tone.

[i]"Have the remaining YF-23s engage the Nodic aircraft immediately. Launch another three hundred starstreak missiles as soon as the targets appear on our active RADAR in low-altitude. Likewise, send out the [b]NCN Behemoth[/b] from its port and have it launch 40 RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile once the YF-23s confirm the location of the aircraft. Have its Starsreak missiles prepared for immediate counter-aircraft capabilities and prepare its mission to proceed southeast in case of immediate retaliation. Likewise, muster the rest of the air force from Corsica and have them counter whatever is left of the cluster that went northeast towards Monaco."[/i]

[i]"Yes sir."[/i]

Seventeen surviving YF-23 immediately took off from their desecrated air bases as the fields and runways were littered with missile and structural debris. Ambulances and medics rushed across the broken lands, saving the injured and recovering the dead. Rows of flak continued to steadily pour into the sky like a fireworks display, taking away incentive for the Nodic aircraft to swoop back in for an additional attack. Forty-three additional YF-23 intercepting fighters were en route from their base in Corsica.

The [i]NCN Behemoth[/i], a guided missile cruiser, slowly emerged from the confines of its sheltered prison, gleaming with pristine shine as all of its missile systems were sent into standby mode.

[i]"Do we have any location on the targets?"[/i]

[i]"Yes sir, but their MALD is wreaking havoc with our detection systems."[/i]

Sighing, Commander Yarrick placed his hand on his chin and simply nodded. [i]Well then...[/i]

[hr]

The seventeen Palma-borne YF-23 fighters swarmed up into the sky in a loose-fit formation, hoping to bear in on their intended Nodic targets. Armed with SM-2 air-to-air missiles, the guidance of the missiles incorporate terminal semi-active radar homing (TSARH) guidance systems, which also have ECCM capabilities. Essentially the missiles would rely on inertial guidance for most of the flight, but activates the SARH for the final attack. All the while the missiles could also be updated midcourse via data link with incoming/shared information. Theoretically, anyways, these missiles would keep the targets from realizing they were under attack until the very last moment when the SARH was activated. Each fighter would be ordered to fire off two in the initial engagement. Each fighter was further equipped with four more SM-2 air-to-air missiles, 2 additional AIM-9 Sidewinders, and a 20 mm Vulcan gatling cannon. They'd have extensive MJU-39/40 flares ready for counter-infrared targeting, along with integrated RWR.

Cruising at a comfortable speed of 1.5 Mach, each pilot was determined to intercept the Nodic cluster that had broken off to attack the island.

[i]"Bravo One this is Charlie Two, we may have a visual on the Nodic aircraft. Do you read? Over."[/i]

[i]"Charlie Two this is Bravo One, we read you. RADAR in the area is current dealing with MALD decoys, though many of which have been destroyed. There are several signature bearing northeast relative to your position. Engage without prejudice. Over."[/i]

[i]"Bravo One this is Charlie Two, copy that. For the Emperor!"[/i]

[i]"For the Emperor!"[/i]

[hr]

Forty-eight YF-23 fighters roared from their Corsican air bases toward Monaco, hoping to intercept the remainder of the Nodic cluster.
[/quote]

[u][b]<<Insert IC response to SOM's reply after a few points are clarified for me.>>[/b][/u]

[quote]
[i]"Commander Yarrick! Enemy aircraft have swerved into normal combatant zone; they're using bloody decoys."[/i][/quote][i]

[/i]How do your forces immediately realize that of the 60 signatures that have swerved to attack Palma, 48 of them are decoys? The whole point of the SEAD-MA (or RL MALD) is that it is indistinguishable from real aircraft, at least electronically, which is all your forces have to view them ATM. PERHAPS after your F-23s actually begin engaging them and receive Line-of-Sight (LOS) of the SEAD-MAs, then they'd find out.

[quote][i]
[/i][i]"Much of our northern SAM capacity has been crippled, especially due to concurrent napalm strikes; all three air bases have sustained at least moderate damages due to missile strikes, especially our northern air capacity, which has been nearly terminated,"[/i]

[i]Launch another three hundred starstreak missiles...[/i][/quote]

Are these missiles being fired from other locations in the island? Remember that the aircraft im attacking palma with are really only acting to engage the northern portions closest to the nodic cluster... the addition 14 kh-55s are the ones trying to attack bases on other parts of palma, and the starstreaks have an operational range of 7km, which would mean other batteries elsewhere wouldn't reach. If they're being fired from whatever is left of the Northern SAM capacity, then disregard this quip of mine.

[quote]...[i] as soon as the targets appear on our active RADAR in low-altitude.[/quote][/i][i]

[/i]Again, how do you know that only the real aircraft are flying at low altitudes?
[i]
[/i][i][quote]Likewise, send out the [b]NCN Behemoth[/b] from its port[/quote]

[/i]Which port? Also, is the Behemoth going to aid in the defense of northern Palma (Pollenca) or is it moving into the med to intercept my aircraft heading towards Maresilles and Toulon?[i]

[/i][quote]Armed with SM-2 air-to-air missiles, the guidance of the missiles incorporate terminal semi-active radar homing (TSARH) guidance systems, which also have ECCM capabilities. Essentially the missiles would rely on inertial guidance for most of the flight, but activates the SARH for the final attack. All the while the missiles could also be updated midcourse via data link with incoming/shared information. Theoretically, anyways, these missiles would keep the targets from realizing they were under attack until the very last moment when the SARH was activated.[/quote][i] [/i]

From what i've garnered from the RL SM-2 RIM-66... the missile is launched in a rough direction where the enemy (me) should be... it guides itself internally through no detectable means by the enemy (me) towards that rough location... during its Terminal Semi-active mode, it switches to following the radar signal its launch aircraft (you) provides.

I know that my aircraft are not emitting signals of their own, and are listening and watching their radar/laser warning receivers to see when they are being tracked. Currently, they are using the MALDs to act as bait for your AA so they can use the reports of their firings to engage your defenses. They will have no problem realizing that they are being Semi-radar homed in on by your aircraft, as they'll be able to tell when they're being illuminated by your radar during the SM-2's terminal phase, only by then, it would be a bit too late.

What im asking is, since you cannot detect my aircraft passively through their electronic emissions (they aren't emitting any) then how are you attaining the 'rough position' for your weapons' internal guidance to use? The active radar on the ground/on your planes? If so, id think my pilots would realize that- and that's ignoring the infrared signals your actual missiles will make when they are launched- they ARE ship stationed surface-to-air missiles, after all.

[quote name='Yawoo' timestamp='1294951259' post='2574344']
The Strongbowe's crew, alerted to the crisis through secure channels, had been sending constant coordinates to the Kingdom's navy. After witnessing escalation in Nodic nuclear tactics, the Strongbowe's Captain, uncertain if the Nodic submarines carried a nuclear armament, ordered multiple nuclear devices to be put on standby within the Strongbowe. If the Nodic commander didn't listen to reason then he'd make sure his beloved homeland couldn't be targeted with the horrific powers of nuclear destruction.
[/quote]

[u][b]Aboard Group Gamma: 2000 km East of St. Johns, Newfoundland[/b][/u]

"Has the Admiral said anything?" [b]Lt. CDR[/b] L'Héraut spoke to the young woman standing watch outside of L'Héraut's personal quarters. The comparatively lavish accommodations of the Commander served as a regrettable prison for O'Donnel since word of the Monacan nuclear strike and resulting war reached Gamma's position.

"No! Ma'am!" the girl piped up with an extremely eager salute to her superior. L'Héraut smiled meekly as she stared at the SMG drapped across the girl's slight frame- it seemed overly large in the hands of such a young woman. She took a moment to adjust the container of coffee on the steel platter she carried before addressing the girl again.

"Alice, I am going to give him his food now, please stay away from the door," L'Héraut said warmly, removing her Officer's cap and placing it under her armpit. Quickly sighing and preparing her for what ever mood she found O'Donnel in. No matter the circumstances, she wanted O'Donnel to feel as safe as possible, making it clear that the members of Group Gamma did not wish to inflict harm upon him- despite Ireland's actions at large. She feared seeing an armed guard outside his quarters would show him that they were acting less than courteous to him.

Nudging the door release button with an elbow, she waited for the ornate door to shoot up into its cowling above her head before slowly walking in, tray in both hands. Quickly scanning the dimmed room, L'Héraut could tell that her quarters had not been disturbed. All of her articles were in place, her pictures still arrayed on top of an oak chest of drawers with gold trim. Seeing the form of O'Donnel slumped in the corner on top of her bed, she tentatively walked towards the end of the room where he lay. He was on top of the sheets, which had been haphazardly strewn about. He sat, his legs dangling from the edge of the bed, his head resting against the corner of the room.

Noticing that he said nothing as he watched her, she decided to place the tray on a nearby nightstand before slowly walking over to him, sighing as she sat on the bed, opposite to him.

"How are you doing, Admiral?"

[quote name='Sir Keshav IV' timestamp='1295264831' post='2578546']
<<AWACS>>

"Missile launches detected towards AWACS I repeat launches detected"

The AWACS prepared evasion maneuvers but was to late and 8 out of 12 AWACS were destroyed while 1 had to be grounded as there was major damage.

Before being downed the AWACS detected a cluster of fighters about 395 KM away from Monaco. With that knowledge the Air Force readied to launch 300 aircrafts from it's air bases in Monaco and Toulon.

<< Nukes >>

The Strategic Defense Command detected 20+ missiles being launched at Marseilles and Toulon . The Strategic Defense Initiative was able to shoot down 1 missile while 3 hit the ocean floor and the cloud created made the Monaco High Command realize it was a nuclear blast. The fleet stationed at Toulon was completely lost while the majority of the fleet stationed at Marseilles was lost. 5 Corvettes, 4 landing Ships, 3 cruisers, 3 frigates were lost while none of the submarines were lost as they were submerged at the time of the attack. One Air Craft carrier sank after the attack created a hole in it's hull ( Saratoga [img]public/style_emoticons/default/awesome.gif[/img] ) and which was beyond repair and with the radioactive waters the Carrier was abandoned while another was contaminated with radioactive material and could not be used.

<< Attack on remaining ships >>

The Close-in Weapon systems on the four destroyers were activated and the 14 of the incoming 20 missiles. The PNS Victoire Destroyer was damaged as 3 missiles directly hit the destroyer and could not be used any further.

OOC: Any numbers needing to be changed just tell me :P
[/quote]

OOC: Operation Baker, the nuclear test in RL that i referenced for my attack

[quote]
The underwater fireball took the form of a rapidly expanding hot "gas bubble" which pushed against the water, generating a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersonic"]supersonic[/url] hydraulic [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_wave"]shock wave[/url] which crushed the hulls of nearby ships as it spread out. Eventually it slowed to the speed of sound in water, which is one mile per second, five times faster than that of sound in air.[/quote]

The test involved three submerged submarines 363, 800 and 850 yards from the center of the blast. All three were at depths of 56 or 100 feet. Keep in mind this test involved a 23 kt blast, while my missiles were all 50 kt. I would think your submarines, which were in their ports (which really doesn't have deep water, i'd imagine) submerged, if i am not mistaken, would be affected as well.

Also, if you could make an OOC post stating the exact losses of your ships/aircraft, kind of like my OOC posts, that would be extremely appreciated. I'll make a response to your destruction within the one i'll make for SOM when he's done with my questions.

[u][b]<<INSERT ASSESSMENT OF DAMAGES DONE BY OPERATION BREAK THE WORLD, AND ADDITIONAL MOVEMENTS IN THE MED BY MY AIRCRAFT>>[/b][/u]

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1295316290' post='2579337']
(Genesis Central Command)

Intelligence had arrived at Athens that Nod was continuing to use nuclear force against allied forces, because of this authorities had deemed it time to go for alternative tactics. Over the last few days satellites had observed Nod, they had specifically noted that there were a lot of forces neaar Ethiopian and Sudanese borders. Before issuing orders allies in the area were informed, a general message was also sent to the coalition.

General Rackow too had obtained noticed and sighed as he passed it on, the Imperial launch keys had been entered externally, the same counted for the People's key so now it was up for the military key which he controlled.

The targets were the Nodic forces at the Sudanese/Ethiopian border and those at the Eritrean/Ethiopian border. Great care would be taken to avoid hitting Novak, in addition the only 2 500kt warheads in the entire Federation were loaded on the missiles. This was a warning not destruction.

As Rackow entered his key the room turned red and a countdown was activated.

"Nuclear Launch in 30 seconds"

In addition to launching 2 missiles all others were put in a pre-firing phase so they could launch relatively quickly, secondly production of new warheads would continue to compensate for the loss.

As the countdown finished 2 silos opened, one in northern Bulgaria and another in southern Italy. The 2 ICBMs would soon reach their maximum speed anddescend roughly 10-15 minutes later at the 2 troop formations of Nod for an airburst.
[/quote]

The [i]Witness[/i] noted two more event settings originating from the European continent. Again, a ping would be dropped to Temple Secundus' Strategic Command Agency (SCA) headquarters. Noting no response, as Addis Ababa was annihilated, the Witness dropped a secondary ping towards Adahunat Airbase, a tertiary one towards Shendi (HSND) Airbase, and a quaternary one towards Dinder (DNX) Airbase regarding the two impending attacks.

Immediately setting themselves into action- the remnants of the SCA, those that were not stationed or deployed within Temple Secundus' now ruined husk, began to activate the weapons under their charge. A battery of S-117 Sentry Ground-Based Anti-Ballistic Missile Defense weapons was immediately deployed near Shendi. Air raid sirens that remained intact following the original Monacan strike once again resounded throughout Nodic held territory- further enraging the Nodic populace. Almost everyone outside of the vicinity of Addis Ababa knew the 'truth' about the strike against the Nodic capital- or rather, what the current Military leadership of Nod wanted them to believe about the attack.

While the citizens of Addis Ababa were told the missile was successfully intercepted until their final, tragic ends, a different tune was sung elsewhere. The lies broadcast over the Public Address Systems of the destroyed capital were silent within the outreaches of the Nodic civilization. Nodic citizens knew that Monaco had struck out against their capital successfully- no attempts at suppressing this were made. As such, the participants of Operation: Break the World were lauded as heroes by the rest of the nation - their inevitable deaths would plunge them into martyrdom. Nodic justice would be carried out regardless of what the world said.

There was one Nodic teaching that the shadowy leaders of the Nodic Militancy would follow this day. Woe it be unto them if the Nodic citizenry found out about their leaders' actions.

Teaching one-one-seven: [i]'Conflict prolonged over an extended period tends to be self-perpetuating and can easily plunge out of control. In battle, one cannot choose between being spared or consumed by the flame... one can only determine the height of the flames.'[/i]

As the missiles streaked towards the two large troop formations- one poised to defend the Nodic homeland from invasion via the Red Sea, the other mobilizing to begin search and recovery efforts on Addis Ababa's smouldering ruins -a cruel decision was made. Every effort would be made to defend against both ICBMs as they neared the Nodic homeland, that was certain. But in order to persuade the Nodic populace to prolong the war- preparing it for the invasion that was inevitable, three mechanized Militant Divisions would be lambs for the slaughter. Over 43,200 Militants would perish as they braved the already radioactive steppes of the Entonto rock, intent on saving their wives and children from the Undercity.

Such a commotion would have been seen immediately by Athenian satellites over the last couple of days, the shadowy leaders knew it as they saw one of the oncoming weapons diverge towards the Sudan-Ethiopian border. Immediately actions were made to engage the weapon, but secretively ensure it would strike true. The S-117s and T-280 weapons launched from nearby Dinder Airbase would purposefully fail or miss as it fell towards the moving forces. The missile would hit dead center of the large Nodic splinter-faction of Militants acting atypically emotional- disregarding orders to hold the strategically viable locale of Khartoum and attempting search and recovery of Ground Zero.

[center][img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/mofailla/strategicmap.jpg?t=1295714134[/img]
[/center]
The geography of Ethiopia acted as one of the most powerful barriers potential occupiers would need to surmount. Traditionally, Nodic defensive efforts rested solely on protecting Addis Ababa from external threats, especially from the Red Sea. The capital was situated in an almost perfect niche, better than any the most ambitious Nodic militant could desire. Mountainous outcrops and valleys, complete with covered niches and extensive natural cave systems cradled Addis Ababa from the North, North-West, West, South-West, South, South-East and East- the North-East was essentially a grass plain that would funnel enemy forces through a predictable vector towards Addis Ababa.

The first Athenian missile, the one destined for the Novak-Nod border, was deemed a significant military threat to Nod. The loss of the forces of Mekele were deemed cost prohibitive- strategic batteries at Shendi would be deployed to full capacity and ultimately defend the Northern bulkwark from harm. Forces would immediately be ordered to disperse amongst the rocky outcrops, emphasis being on setting up hidden, hardened positions underneath overhangs, extended cave systems and set up wire communications should radiological interference persist.

The forces headed for Addis Ababa were deemed expendable- the Athenian missile seen as nothing less than a culling that the interim Nodic Militant leadership would have carried out itself had it been given the chance. The three mechanized divisions 14,400 militants a piece, as well as their accompanying 400 [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=65298&view=findpost&p=2053545"]Terminator[/url] ABCs, 400 [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=59602&view=findpost&p=1741856"]'Hunter'[/url] Fast-Attack Vehicles, 200 [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=59602&view=findpost&p=1688989"]Thrasher[/url] SPAAGs and 200 [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Expanded_Mobility_Tactical_Truck"]HEMTS[/url] would be crippled. The armored Terminators, based on the chassis of the [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=59602&view=findpost&p=1630450"]Devastator[/url] Super-heavy tank would serve as a meager source of protection for some of the militants, but losses nevertheless rendered the Divisions strategically inviable from an operational stand point.

OOC: The nuke aimed for novak-nod was intercepted.

The nuke aimed at Ethiopia/sudan hit 3 mobilized mechanized divisions. Each division held-

1000 Elite Cadre
5000 Heavy Infantry
8400 Light Infantry

400 Terminator ABCs (APC)
400 Hunter Fast-Attack Vehicle (Humvee equivalent)
200 HEMTS (unarmed transport/logistic vehicles)
200 Thrasher SPAAG (Think tracked Pantsir system- combined missile and gun)

assume all 3 divisions are write-offs. Also, I would like to request that at the end of each 'exchange' of ours, losses would be posted somewhat like this?

Edited by Executive Minister

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Aboard Group Gamma: 2000 km East of St. Johns, Newfoundland

"Has the Admiral said anything?" Lt. CDR L'Héraut spoke to the young woman standing watch outside of L'Héraut's personal quarters. The comparatively lavish accommodations of the Commander served as a regrettable prison for O'Donnel since word of the Monacan nuclear strike and resulting war reached Gamma's position.

"No! Ma'am!" the girl piped up with an extremely eager salute to her superior. L'Héraut smiled meekly as she stared at the SMG drapped across the girl's slight frame- it seemed overly large in the hands of such a young woman. She took a moment to adjust the container of coffee on the steel platter she carried before addressing the girl again.

"Alice, I am going to give him his food now, please stay away from the door," L'Héraut said warmly, removing her Officer's cap and placing it under her armpit. Quickly sighing and preparing her for what ever mood she found O'Donnel in. No matter the circumstances, she wanted O'Donnel to feel as safe as possible, making it clear that the members of Group Gamma did not wish to inflict harm upon him- despite Ireland's actions at large. She feared seeing an armed guard outside his quarters would show him that they were acting less than courteous to him.

Nudging the door release button with an elbow, she waited for the ornate door to shoot up into its cowling above her head before slowly walking in, tray in both hands. Quickly scanning the dimmed room, L'Héraut could tell that her quarters had not been disturbed. All of her articles were in place, her pictures still arrayed on top of an oak chest of drawers with gold trim. Seeing the form of O'Donnel slumped in the corner on top of her bed, she tentatively walked towards the end of the room where he lay. He was on top of the sheets, which had been haphazardly strewn about. He sat, his legs dangling from the edge of the bed, his head resting against the corner of the room.

Noticing that he said nothing as he watched her, she decided to place the tray on a nearby nightstand before slowly walking over to him, sighing as she sat on the bed, opposite to him.

"How are you doing, Admiral?"[/quote]

Standing up, flexing his back muscles to shake out the cramps from sitting on the bed so long, the Admiral waited a few seconds before replying, his eyes never leaving the form in front of him. "How am I doing? Is that all you have to say? I was rushed into this quarter without a word as to why I've been detained, no word on where we are, how long you intend to hold me a prisoner or if the crew aboard the Strongbowe are safe. My dear lady, I'm far from being a happy go lucky individual but you will not find it easy to break me if you intend to hold me for ransom or state secrets. I will die before I reveal anything about the Kingdom."

Giving L'Héraut a slight sneer O'Donnel sat back down without touching the food and folded his arms across his chest waiting for a reply. The sounds of the crew in the background running and shouting to each other was all the noise that filled L'Héraut quarters as the Irish Admiral let his silence fill the room's air in an attempt to push his attitude onto his capturer. Glances around the room earlier had shown him escape was not possible, the sounds of the submarine assured his trained ears that the sub was submerged leaving him no choice but to continue to play the psychological games with the Nodic crew - getting them to break before he did. It was a cat and mouse situation with each party thinking of themselves as the cat and the other the mouse.

[quote name='Yawoo' timestamp='1296699619' post='2616854']
Standing up, flexing his back muscles to shake out the cramps from sitting on the bed so long, the Admiral waited a few seconds before replying, his eyes never leaving the form in front of him. "How am I doing? Is that all you have to say? I was rushed into this quarter without a word as to why I've been detained, no word on where we are, how long you intend to hold me a prisoner or if the crew aboard the Strongbowe are safe. My dear lady, I'm far from being a happy go lucky individual but you will not find it easy to break me if you intend to hold me for ransom or state secrets. I will die before I reveal anything about the Kingdom."

Giving L'Héraut a slight sneer O'Donnel sat back down without touching the food and folded his arms across his chest waiting for a reply. The sounds of the crew in the background running and shouting to each other was all the noise that filled L'Héraut quarters as the Irish Admiral let his silence fill the room's air in an attempt to push his attitude onto his capturer. Glances around the room earlier had shown him escape was not possible, the sounds of the submarine assured his trained ears that the sub was submerged leaving him no choice but to continue to play the psychological games with the Nodic crew - getting them to break before he did. It was a cat and mouse situation with each party thinking of themselves as the cat and the other the mouse.
[/quote]

[b]Lt. CDR L'Héraut's Personal Quarters, on board SSN-07 'The End'[/b]

L'Héraut sighed, bowing her head. O'Donnel towered over the slight frame of the Lieutenant Commander as she remained seated on the edge of her bed, the crown of her head somewhere at the height of the Admiral's abdomen. It was not until he finished his tirade, until she felt his weight on the slightly chilled mattress on the opposite end of the bed that she raised her face to look at him. Her face remained soft, inviting yet placid.

"I realize the abrupt manner with which you were [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=96575&view=findpost&p=2565891"]'briefed'[/url] on the current issue at hand by LTJG Holtmeier was not the most... pleasant of circumstances, and I again offer my most heartfelt apologies."

L'Héraut frowned for a moment, remembering the platter of food. She knew the Admiral was hungry, that was certain- but would his pride serve to amplify this? She silently shook her head, saddened by everything around her. Her hand instinctively reached for something hanging from her neck under her tunic, something that dangled around the area above her heart before she stopped herself. She turned to look at O'Donnel as he sat on the bed, glaring at her. Raising her gaze to meet his in a forlorn expression, she began.

"Please Admiral, I promise that this food has not been tampered with in any way. I understand your sentiments, I really do - as such is expected of every man currently wearing boots on the ground in the homeland. I implore you to believe me when I say you will not be coerced in any way to divulge information to us while you are aboard this vessel... such tactics are reserved for our 'brothers' within the Nodic Militancy. And believe me when I say that I have no intention of turning you over to them."

[b]
Combat Information Center (CIC), Bridge of the SSN-07 'The End'[/b]

[i]'Has the Strongbowe done anything questionable or suspicious?' [/i]LTJG Holtmeier tersely asked the Petty Officer, 2nd Class, assigned to the Enemy Search and Detection console. Holtmeier stood behind the woman as she sat at her console behind the ESD component of the Combat Information Center.

"The Strongbowe hasn't diverged course, nor has it broken its formation with us.... however, it has been broadcasting encrypted signals for some time now... possibly telemetry or navigation pulses to an unknown recipient," the Officer replied, sounding perplexed.

Holtmeier clenched her fists, a terse breath escaping her nostrils. Her eyes were livid as she realized what was happening... curbing her anger, she shouted across the CIC to the Crewman, 2nd Class stationed at the Communications Operations Console.

[i]"Where is Commander L'Héraut?! Get the Admiral on the horn immediately."
[/i]
"Aye-aye, Ma'am! Also, I believe Mistress L'Héraut is currently tending to our 'guest' personally. Shall I notify her of the situation?" another girl replied from the COC aft of the ESD.

Holtmeier slowly shook her head, tonguing the inside of her cheek. Instead, she headed over to the captain's chair perched at the elevated station in the center of the Bridge, starboard side of the CIC. There, she leaned over the captain's armrest and tapped a few keys. Soon, the image of Admiral Cauthorne appeared as she was, aboard the Atramentous.

<<Yes, Lieutenant?>> the Admiral spoke as if she expected L'Héraut's face to be the one transmitted to her. Ignoring this, Holtmeier began, salute in hand.

[i]'Admiral Cauthorne, I apologize, but the situation seems to have become more difficult... it appears that the Strongbowe is currently transmitting for unknown purposes. We have detained the Irish Admiral. I request permission to engage and destroy the enemy vessel before our location can be compromised further.'[/i]

Holtmeier gauged the Admiral's facial expressions carefully after her words, checking to see if she objected the direct circumvention of command structure Holtmeier performed by speaking directly to her. Surprisingly, the young Lieutenant saw the elder Admiral sigh, averting her gaze downwards in a forlorn expression.

<<Natalie... what I am about to order you and Catherine to do is extremely important - I cannot stress enough how crucial it is that you carry out my commands... I trust you will relay my words to the Commander?>>

Holtmeier was taken aback by the Admiral's personal address to both herself and L'Héraut, however, the shock soon subsided and she responded, snapping her feet together to stand at attention.
[i]
'Of course, Mistress... please, what do you wish of us?'[/i]

Holtmeier watched as Cauthorne created a steeple with her fingers, resting it on the bridge of her nose.

<<Do not engage the Strongbowe... allow them to detain you and your ships.>>

Despite her previous assurances of compliance, Holtmeier was stunned. She visibly recoiled at Cauthorne's words, her eyes going wide in disbelief.

[i]'Ma'am, surely you don't mea-'[/i]

She was interrupted by the thump of Cauthorne's fist crashing against her console in the Atramentous. Immediately silenced, and back at attention, Holtmeier felt like shrinking into her own skin as she watched her superior lean in close on her side of the transmission. Lifting a hand, all fingers outstretched, she began.

<<Holtmeier! You have always been unquestioning in your duty to the MNC, and the Nodic civilization as a whole. Your father would have lauded you for the achievements you have attained at your young age. DO NOT disappoint me! All I ask is that you try your best... that is all anyone can ask of any of us!>>
[i]
'I... I'm so sorry, Admiral...'[/i] Holtmeier recoiled.

<<Now heed my words carefully, girl! We have been monitoring the signals from the Strongbowe for some time now... they have been actively transmitting their position - incidentally, ours as well - back to Irish Command. Believe me when I say that I notified the NMC at once, in an attempt to save ALL of our lives. They have made a command decision based on the facts present, and I urge you to comply with it as I relay it back unto you.>>

Holtmeier was stunned at this news. [i]Why would the MNC stay silent about this? We could have easily destroyed the Strongbowe as soon as we were alerted that the Irish had gone to war with us...[/i] Holtmeier remained rigidly at attention, yet the emotions racing through her mind reverberated visibly within her eyes. They began to glisten, and she could feel her pupils dilating and undilating in a mix of rage, shock and sense of betrayal.

<<The Strongbowe has alerted a large surface combatant fleet to our position. We are tracking several large objects as well.... they appear to be carriers. We are soon to be within aircraft weapons range. We have also been ordered to surrender to the Strongbowe and the awaiting Irish fleet by that Admiral, O'Donnel's submarine. We WILL comply with the Irish demands.... I say again! We WILL comply with the Irish demands!>>

Holtmeier gasped, and several of the crew in and around the CIC and bridge of the End turned their heads in alarm.

<<Several nations, New Cadia, Monaco, Ireland, Athens have already declared war upon us. The Executive Ministry has been utterly destroyed! Addis Ababa is now a barren wasteland! All elements of the Nodic Armed forces, the NMC, AMC and MNC have been placed in a Class D alert and have been given clearance by what is left to begin unilateral and independent sorties against all deemed a target. I repeat, we have begun nuclear operations in retaliation upon the Coalition!>>

In a rare moment of lost composure, Holtmeier placed a hand over her mouth. Turning to the women around her in the CIC and bridge, she could see the beginnings of panic and terror slowly creep into the crew. Taking a big breath and recoiling even further, she suddenly shook her head, [i]damn it! Pull yourself together, girl! Not this![/i]

<<It is impossible to defend Nod with what's left, and reinforcements from the homeland cannot make it in time! The humanitarian fleets sent to the Holy American Empire have been recalled, and have launched pre-emptive strikes against coalition shipping in the Mediterranean. Those aircraft have essentially forgone their sense of self preservation! Soon Aviatrix Fleet Leucosia and Exterminatrix Fleet Morgen will be in range to attack the Irish as they apprehend us or transport us to their mainland. We have been ordered to comply- acting to lure the Irish into a trap. When they apprehend us, they will be vulnerable. That's when headquarters will make the decision to attack the Irish fleet with the remainder of Leucosia's nuclear weapons! In the process, they'll succeed in crippling the coalition's force projection capabilities in the Mediterranean and the Atlantic- that's the [i]scenario[/i] for this whole battle as [i]imagined[/i] by the top brass!>>

Cauthorne's uncharacteristic spitefulness was astounding, shaking Holtmeier and the rest of the crew to the bone. Holtmeier could say nothing as she saw the spite with which the older, normally calm Admiral spoke. Her anger translated over to Holtmeier, but soon something else rushed in to fill the void left by the departure of her faith in the Militant Naval Command.... reason.
[i]
'I understand, ma'am. In battle, a compentent force needs commanding officers to absorb incoming information, compare them to underlying goals at hand, and objectively create orders with regards to the 'big picture'. A soldier under a commander's command must work in concert with these orders if the force is to be victorious in battle.'[/i]

"Wha-... what sort of strategy is this?" a young voice stammered behind Holtmeier. Bowing her head slightly towards the image of Cauthorne, who was searching for the source of the meek voice - a Crewman, 1st Class that sat amongst others in the CIC, Holtmeier turned to face the girl. A small, scared face in a sea of apprehension on the bridge. The LTJG said nothing as she watched the girl's neighbour turn to reply, her face hidden by a shock of hair and a large, bulky sound powered head set and mouthpiece.

"It's because this is a war..." the voice shook, yet with no emotion, "and because we're all supposed to be good soldiers... "

Holtmeier grunted under her breath, watching this new speaker turn to face her and the Admiral's visage behind her. This woman's face was a twisted disortion of a normally beautiful face. Her eyes were already wet, and her lips shuddered as she continued,

"If they tell us to... I guess we're just supposed to throw away our lives," the girl's voice crackled in barely a whisper.

Holtmeier said nothing, lowering her gaze and snarling behind pursed lips.

[b]Lt. CDR L'Héraut's Personal Quarters, on board SSN-07 'The End' minutes later

[/b]
Before L'Héraut could continue, she heard a loud whoosh as the door to the Quarters shot up into its cowling overhead. Even in the face of the red glare from the lighted hallway blasting into the dimmed room, L'Héraut could see the form of Lieutenant Holtmeier standing rigidly at attention. Beside her was Alice, the guard from the door. Both entered and saluted L'Héraut as she sat, ignoring O'Donnel.[i]

"Lieutenant Commander L'Héraut, a word?"[/i]

L'Héraut sighed, standing as she retrieved her Officer's cap tucked under her arm. Absentmindedly straightening it out, she placed it on her head and crossed the room to the door, "I find myself apologizing to you again, Admiral, please excuse me."

She stuck her head out of the portal into the hallway, keeping an arm and leg inside the room to keep the door from shutting.

"Yes.... what is it, Lieutenant," L'Héraut spoke, sounding tired.

''I am speaking to relay orders from Admiral Cauthorne. We are to surrender to the Strongbowe immediately."

In danger of allowing the door to close between the two women, L'Héraut recoiled taking a few steps back in shock. She turned to look at O'Donnel before rushing out of the room, not bothering to say goodbye as the door quickly slammed shut behind her - sealed.

[b]Combat Information Center (CIC), Bridge of the SSN-07 'The End' moments later

[/b]"So they left us here to die? Is THAT what you're saying, Dolores?"

<<Only after a show of compliance so the enemy won't know there's an attack group inbound.>>

L'Héraut shook with a silent rage as she saw her crew begin to murmur more and more. As the muttering commenced enmass, L'Héraut spoke up, a loud, authoritative voice that drowned out all dissention.

"If the object of this whole encounter was to release the location of the Irish Atlantic fleets to the MNC, then in my opinion this vessel has already accomplished its mission. Note that I, Lieutenant Commander Catherine L'Héraut, captain of the End made this decision alone. No other crew member is to be held responsible for my actions."

<<Don't put so much pressure on yourself, Catherine. This is MY operation.>>

"And this is my submarine, lead vessel of Group Gamma. This ship will now abandon the looming battle area and begin to make its withdrawl with the Strongbowe. All vessels under my tutelage will follow suit, and will refrain from attacking the Irish vessels. Holtmeier!"

Holtmeier remained silent as Cauthorne and L'Héraut conversed, she grunted as she turned to face her Commanding Officer and receive orders with a forlorn expression.

"Signal the other vessels, tell them to follow us."

[i]'Yes... ma'am...'[/i]

<<And the incoming Leucosia and Morgen? Is there a possibility we can rendezvous with them somehow and convince them not to take this war further down with them?>>

"I don't believe they'll be happy to see us collaborating.... and we have far too much at our disposal," L'Héraut answered, "if they succeed in destroying the Irish and we survive... they will come after us too."

<<Of course.... I just wish it wasn't so. They will probably say we disobeyed orders and fled the frontlines in the face of the enemy. That we deserted while under attack.>>

"Indeed, even if we were to return unscathed, we would be court martialed. Or worse.... It's becoming... more and more difficult to understand who or what we are fighting for in this war. Summon Admiral O'Donnel to the bridge," L'Héraut ordered.

[i]'Yes ma'am...'[/i]

• 2 weeks later...

[u][b]Somewhere in Sidamo Province: Southern Nod[/b][/u]

"Status, EVA?" the female voice asked.

The sounds of the heavy ventilation and cooling machinery surrounding the captured supercomputer thrummed to life at this query. Indicator lights initially flickered a deep crimson red before overriding subroutines installed in Sidamo province kicked in, changing them into a light blue hue. A loud humming emanated from the black steel housing of the machine, remnants of red Nodic insignias still visible despite the scoring and signs of removal.

Formerly a wholely encapsulated EVA network centric warfare unit onboard a soon to be unveiled command- class cruiser, the machine would have been responsible for all Nodic battlenet traffic and processing within a theatre of operations - working under the close eye of hordes of Nodic technicians and attendants had she not been stolen. 'She' and the rest of her ilk started off as Nodic battle interfaces with an integrated database that was slowly developed into a pseudo-AI, and served primarily as a data communications link and user interface between distant commanders and the troops they commanded. Her main role was coordinating and processing information with her powerful data analysis capability, and providing commanders with a versatile and powerful command tool. She had been taken for the ability for her to seamlessly integrate with the Nodic battle net has a whole. Today she would be used for something far different than her creators had ever envisioned, or desired.

[b]<<Motivators operating a sufficient levels.>>[/b]

"Can we proceed with operations? Have you deployed the virus? Nod has already begun operations in the Mediterranean!" it was the male's turn to speak.
[b]
<<*whirr* *beeee--eeeeep* ....>>[/b]

"You blasted machine! EVA! State attack analysis at once!" the man was growing impatient.

"Commander Gilda, please! Control yourself at once! The Princess has no use for such an impatient Champion! We are to proceed with finesse if we are to succeed!"

[b]<<Nod casualty rates unacceptable.... This course of action will- >>[/b] already observers could see flickers of red begin to contrast against the previously steady blue tone of her exterior indicator lights.

"Stop!" the woman ordered the machine into silence, with it apparently still under the pro-Nodic influences hardwired into it.

Gilda let out a short exhale of exasperation before turning to face a team of technicians behind him. His facial expression was intent, and the group glanced nervously up from their consoles, "You. What is the status of the EVA reprogramming?"

"Done," was a firm reply he got back.

"Activate it," was all the commander said. It sounded as if he was ordering the commencement of an 'enhanced' interrogation routine on a prisoner of war. It was cold, without any hints of mercy or compassion.

[b]<<Nod casualty rate well within acceptable parameters.>>[/b]

The Commander turned back to the machine, this time addressing its metallic husk directly. "Much better," again, his tone was the interrogator's, warning the prisoner that if he chose not to comply further, the pain would return.

"Commander," the woman spoke to Gilda, "it is time we took a more proactive stance against General Jagdfel. If we tarry any longer, we risk losing everything."

Nodding his head at his elder, Gilda rose to fetch his Cranial protection suite, absent-mindedly receiving it from a nearby attendant. He was just about to leave the main conference chamber and begin the lengthy process of suiting up in his Armored Command Unit when he froze mid-step, realizing a set of ivory hands had passed him his helm. Turning back with a look of genuine shame, he gazed upon the Princess before bowing his head and kneeling.

"Forgive my impudence, my Lady," he said speaking to the floor, "I did not know you had arrived."

The young woman, dressed in long, flowing white and black robe stood serenely before the bowing man. Placing a hand near a delicately laced gold choker, she smiled a sad smile.

[i]"Hello Commander... I wish we could meet under better circumstances,"[/i] she stooped, placing a hand on his shoulder, bidding him to rise. She shook her head slowly, speaking in a gentle voice as he stood to face her - was that fear in his eyes?

[i]"Nod's war drums are getting louder, and it will be difficult to hold them in check. I will need a sword, a... Champion to be my voice on the battlefield. You must not fail. You are to be my guiding light on the field of battle."[/i]

"That is why the Princess has removed you from the service of General Jagdfel," the older woman spoke behind him. She strode confidently towards the pair, coming to a stop beside the Princess. The woman looked sagely as she placed a hand on the Princess' shoulder.

"From this day forth, you will serve the Princess directly. You are to be her Avatar-of-War. You will be her Champion."

The man nodded grimly, placing his helmet on his head. Through his opened faceplate, he saw the elder with a beaming smile. The Princess merely offered a serene upturn of the corners of her mouth. Her eyes bright.

"Am I to kill this man?"

He looked at the pair of woman intently. A strange notion had taken root in his heart - he had an overwhelming surge of emotions, an unquenchable desire to please his new masters in anyway he could. He could not explain this feeling, indeed, he could not explain how he was even standing in the same room as them! He only knew that he could not, and would not fail them. It would be as if suffering a thousand painful deaths, losing every shred of dignity and honour, if he did.
[i]
"Our Brothers and sisters to the North will see us as the enemy... as traitors and insurgents... I wish to show them that this conclusion is false... we are their salvation, Avatar Gilda"[/i] the Princess addressed him personally, and the man felt his heart would burst forth from his armor with pride.

"EVA, display terrain topology. Interface with the Nodic Militancy's battle net, and find me General Jagdfel! Deploy the virus," the elder ordered the 'AI' into action.
[b]
<<Interfacing...>>

<<...>>

<<Interfacing complete...>>
[/b]
[b]<<...Displaying probable location of main Nod Remnant's base of operations. Virus deployed.>>[/b]

A blue topographical projection was splayed on the walls, the ceiling, even the floors of the chamber as a map of the mountains east of Adahunat Airbase was highlighted amongst the display of all Nodic holdings on Africa.

"Avatar, you are to go to Adahunat and press the Princess' case," she said, "all who refuse you must be silenced-"

[i]"Jagdfel, despite his flaws, his well respected in the Nodic Militancy,"[/i] the Princess interrupted. [i]"-and a firm believer in the East African people. If he abandons Nod, many others will follow. Could I use his influence for my own gain? I would use this power to shut down the Nodic militancy, and end this war,"[/i] she finished, looking back at the now smiling woman.

The elder said nothing, closing her eyes serenely, as if soaking in every drop of a delicious morsel of food. Finally, she began,

"The Executive Ministry was blessed by a loving, faithful people. Too trusting and confident of what their leadership castes tell them. They have been corrupted, and relegated to little more than a weapon. Unfortunately some wars are won by the side that has the most fanaticism in the religious sense - their leaders harnessing the righteous energy of collective insanity in the face of, to the logical, what seem to be impossible odds. We must harness this energy. I ensured our return to grace by ensuring the Princess' ascension to the throne. Addis Ababa was an unfortunate cost, one which will need to be indemnified."

[i]"Go to Adahunat, find the General, and bring him to me alive,"[/i] the Princess turned to Gilda.
[i]
"End this war."[/i]

"Go with grace, Avatar."

Gilda would leave, with no protest or question about what the woman alluded to when she referred to the destroyed Addis Ababa. Suiting up into a machine he did not consciously understand, yet subconsciously knew enough about to operate adequately, he would leave the smiling women.

"I will see to it at once."

[u][b]25 km East of Mao, Palma Eastern Island in the Balearic Sea[/b][/u]

CAG Clarissa Venport held her AN-1 Krieg level at 1,000 feet in a steady turn right as her wingman came shrieking in on a thirty five degree line to rendezvous. The other plane crossed behind and under Venport, settling in on her right wing. Clarissa leveled her wings and added power as she tweaked the nose up, her timed delay finished. Keying her communicator, she waited for her scrambler to synchronize with the nearby aircraft before speaking.

[b]"Tombstone zero-four, this is Alpha Leader. Have you heard anything from Haven zero-one? Has Angel One reported anything yet?"[/b]

A shrill squeal was heard over the comm as the message was scrambled and flashed to Tombstone, who piloted a similar aircraft to Clarissa's. A shrill whistle soon came back just as fast.
[b]
<<[i]*deep exhale*[/i]Roger Alpha Leader, Haven zeruh-one through zeruh-two are up, no word on zeruh-three... Over.>>[/b]

Even at the exceedingly fast speeds the aircraft flew, in an erratic flight path which would eventually take them near the North African coast, barely squeezing by the maximum operational ranges of Surface-to-air missile batteries on the Athenian Italian holdings towards Crete, Commander Air Group Venport was saddened. The woman began to recall seemingly random memories of her past as she thought about the recent days - all that she had lost, mistakes she had made.

[b]"Mourn them later, zero-four. Right now we have a mission to complete... it is what they would have wanted."[/b]

It was nearing a cloudless night, and Operation Break the World had left the grey overcast skies near the mouth of Gibraltar . Even now, members of the group that had launched their Class-D's at the major Monacan ports of Marseilles and Toulon could see a half moon, now just above the eastern horizon.

*An omen of things to come, I suppose* was all Clarissa thought. To the west, a layer of low haze over the sea limited visibility, but she knew there was nothing to see in that direction anyways. Only more death, destruction, and the dark black smudges that streaked the skies above the Balearic Islands of Cadia. Nevertheless, she instinctively searched the blackness in that direction. Nothing. No lights. Even with the foreboding feeling she felt, her radar warning reciever was silent, her LWR and TACAN showing nothing on the battle net - no warnings or advisement reports from friendly forces. She habituously scanned the night sky slowly in all quadrants for the lights of other aircraft. Although a useless action in any case, they seemed to be alone.

"Keep your eyes peeled for other aircraft, Toad," she spoke out of her mic to her copilot situated to the rear of the tandem cockpit. The woman merely smiled, thoughts brought to the days they were stationed inland, or were in port. Soon, the dam burst, however, and the laughs came from both women as they tore the sky asunder.

"Gahah! Janet the Horny Toad! I love it. Tell me, have your parents ever asked why you got that callsign?"

"I tell them it means Tactical Operator and Driver."

"Haaa...." Clarissa smiled, before settling back down to business. "You know... about Marseilles..."

"Don't worry about it. We were MUCH more merciful than those !@#$%^&* ever were to us..."

"I know... I suppose I shouldn't have mentioned that... gripes go up the Chain of Command... not down."

"Well then, just pretend that I have that 1 star and get over it, I suppose."

"What's on our scope, anyways? When's that flight from Athens to Tel Aviv supposed to be along?"

In the back seat, the Lieutenant consulted with the command console on her kneeboard, "not for another ten minutes... we'll be long gone by then."

"...and when will we reach the final waypoint?"

"At our speeds, we'll be 400 km south west of Crete in about 20 minutes if we keep our speed at M3.0."

"Alright," Clarissa was content that her mission would be 'over' soon enough, "In the meantime, lets get a link from Leucosia and see how their end is doing."

As Janet made the call, Clarissa absentmindedly checked the 'Krieg' alongside her. She noticed with satisfaction that the pilot, a junior grade Lt. on her first 'cruise' was right where she should be, a few dozen meters away. She liked to complain about the youth of the majority of the MNC compared to her lengthier twenty-nine, but she still had a very high opinion of their skills. She bragged to her land-based counter-part, Group Captain De Falco at every opportunity she got.

[b]<<Alpha Leader this is Tombstone zeruh-two, do you read me?>>[/b] a harsh, and surprised voice sounded over the comm, causing Clarissa to scramble for her mic, which had dangled between her legs.
[b]
"Go ahead, zero-two."[/b]
[b]
<<Confirm a full brake from Command? I say again, confirm FULL STOP?>>[/b]

[b]"What the hell?"[/b] Clarissa lost all semblance or care for operational procedures as she broke character over the comms. They had gone in well past the point of no return. Why was command ordering them to abort the rest of the sortie?[b] "Who the hell gave clearance for this?!"[/b]

CAG Venport's irritance was visibly projected over communications. Turning back to the Weapons Officer behind her, she started.

"Give me an immediate channel to the Admiral, find out what the hell is going on!"

[u][b]1st Fleet of the Aviatrix: Leucosia, Mid-Atlantic
[/b][/u][b]

[/b][b]"I just feel that it would be a terrible misallocation of our efforts if we are to pull out now! I have already sacrificed nearly half of my people to get this order done!"

[/b]The sound of Clarissa's anger reverberated over much of the crew aboard CVN-00 'Paragon'. All had lost friends, relatives and loved ones in the attack on Addis Ababa - all of them had personal stakes in Operation Break the World. Nevertheless, the Nodic Battle net was filled with orders to cease and desist combat operations against Coalition forces. Rumors of an additional strike on the husk of Addis Ababa further inflamed the Nodic Militancy at large. The large animal was baited, had struck out, and now had to contend with confusion.

"I understand, Captain Venport" Admiral Cocburn was heard over the comms. "We have nevertheless been instructed to comply with this immediate withdrawl... Just get your people back in one piece. We need to regroup and organize... Jagdfel is up to something, and we must be prepared to see this all through to the end with him".[b]

[/b]OOC: My aircraft have been unmolested after the launches against Marseilles and Toulon. If SOM does not wish to reply to my forces attacking Palma, or my aircraft that have nuked Monaco, I will post a brief skirmish over Palma to get all my aircraft back to their ships, as I believe he is the only one in a position to reach them. This war will end soon, as per our agreement.[b]

And Yawoo still needs to reply.

[/b]

[font="Arial"][size="2"][b]Skies over Northern Pollenca[/b]

Angel One had blood on his hands - this was certain. When the Peacehearts had EMP'd the upper portion of Nod, fooling everyone on the outskirts, within the border forces into thinking their beloved capital had been destroyed, he had undertaken a daring and ultimately successful attack on the Sarnungian homeland in 'retaliation'. Looking back into what seemed like time immemorial, he was thankful that Adahunat had not authorized that he take class-D weapons with him on that fateful day - perhaps Nod would have been destroyed much earlier, had he done so.

He was also guilty- he was the one who had sought death the most while waging that one man war - yet he survived. His suicidally vindictive sortie had cost the lives of 3,000 innocent civilians as they had foolishly (and under no doubt were placed deliberately by Sarnungian Officials) partied on a fully functional Super-Carrier belonging to a nation that had just declared war against a nearby neighbour. While such a kill-count would have normally been lauded by the Nodic militancy, its contents - the innocents - were looked upon by his peers with much disdain. There was no sport in slaughtering noncombatants like rats, he was taught, and would be given a near-suicidal mission to complete as punishment - and to atone for his sins.

[i]Operation Break the World[/i] was that punishment - yet he found himself embracing it. His family was secure - Jessica had accompanied Nyani to Cochin along with their daughter - they were safe. He was also partaking in a glorious, crucial mission to destroy coalition shipping in one fell swoop - a fitting end to one of his caliber. Should he live or die, it was no matter to him. All had been set right. Despite his complacency, however, he still wished to see most of his compatriots survive the diversionary attack on Palma and so he maintained his crazed and frenzied demeanor on the field of battle - they deserved every ounce of it - they deserved his all. The fighting had been fierce over Palma, they all had lost friends in the hostile skies. But each and every one of the men and women flying today knew that every second they survived meant that the rest of the group would have an extra second to destroy the coalition. A worthy exchange, they all believed.

[b]<<This is Angel One, Haven Two Zero still airborne, over. Squawk One Three Zero Two.>>[/b] he called over the comms, looking for a roll call.

[b]<<Haven One Zeruh here... Radar Contact, Angel One. Your vector Zero Niner Five for surface bogey and switch to Squawk One Three Zeruh One. This comm's active.>>[/b]

[i]'What the $%&@?' [/i]Angel One thought as he promptly changed frequencies. Normally, a request to change 'squawk' numbers meant that the recipient had intruded an ongoing transmission exchange between different aircraft over the same frequency. This was normal during normal operational procedures, yet a rare occurrence. It was poor form, as a Nodic pilot was expected to keep up at all times. But wasn't the Battle Net supposed to automatically update Squawk codes for them?
[b]
<<Err... switching.>>[/b] Angel One dialed the radio channelization knob to Channel One, a different preset. He checked in.

[b]<<Angel One, expect company. I repeat expect company. We've received an ALL STOP from Battlestar zeruh and are currently waiting for the rest to rendezvous.... Engage the displayed surface bogey... Avoid 3 mile limit, over.>>[/b]
[b]
<<Wilco...>>[/b] Angel One was stunned. [i]Operation Break the World was already 10 miles up !@#$ creek without a paddle, and they want a complete withdrawl? That Nyani is something alright. We COULD always count on her to cook up some kind of scheme when we got pulled into the !@#$ter, [/i]he thought to himself with a sense of (crass) respect for the woman.

Accelerating through 800 knots indicated, he raised his flaps and slats, concentrating on flying the plane as the aerodynamics changed - the thrust vectoring nozzles engaging via the fly-by-wire system installed in his aircraft. Performing a neat 'J-cut' maneuver, he swooped low to engage. He leveled at 1000 feet on course, accelerating to 1200 knots.

[i]I better get the FLIR fired up. Gunna need it real soon. [/i]He thought to himself, for already, the sky began to darken- a byproduct of the thick smudges of smoke over the Cadian Isle, and the overcast nightfall. Angel One shoved his nose down. [i]Only eighteen miles to go. He's a nice little target, easy to see.[/i] He thought, his gaze intent on the illuminated battery of Starstreak launching vehicles and accompanying laser-designators. Angel one adjusted the presentation on the display without removing his view from the scope cam, while simultaneously setting the radar altimeter to give an audible warning if he passed bellow the 800 feet marker.

Just as he was about to release the Cluster munitions package on his belly, the sight of the battery being engulfed in flame surprised him. 'What the $%&@!!' he exclaimed, watching another aircraft in his wing engaging the target before him.

[b]<<What the hell Haven Two Two? I nearly wasted a perfectly good piece of ordinance on that, you !@#$%*!!>>[/b]

[b]<<Sorry Major,>>[/b] a reluctant voice was heard over the shrill sounds of the windbreak as the offending pilot pulled out of his attack dive, prompting Angel One to do the same just before his altimeter started whining.
[b]
<<No one dropped that as a taken target, Sir.>>[/b]

This troubled Angel One greatly- this was a clear indication that somewhere down the line, the battle net was failing. Originating as an intensive automation and programming technical 'engine' used to drive Heavy SAM units, the battle net was, as its objective stated, a sophisticated Integrated Air Defense System for real-time strategy. A unit serving on equipment compatible with the upload/download functions of the battle net would have its reaction time vastly reduced through this computer-aided command and decision process.

The battle net would enable a given unit under its umbrella an automatic link to other adjacent and farther units and networks - even those not under the direct command or control of the operator - interconnecting them at a 'subconscious' level. In the case of the forerunning SAM network mission, the battle net would not permit multiple missile batteries within range of multiple incoming air threats to waste their missiles on the same target. By sharing targeting data, the net allowed these SAM units to 'cooperate', distributing missile rounds between multiple targets, enabling a minimum number of batteries to destroy the incoming salvo and spam attacks within a minimum span of time and rounds fired. Additionally, this network had served to increase the apparent firepower and kill-probability against high-speed targets like ballistic and cruise missiles - targets that are infinitely harder to intercept. The battle net would traditionally determine the unit within firing range with the highest probability of kill, ordering it to engage first, queueing other lower probability units next.

This was the issue at hand - had the battle net been working, Haven One Zero would not have given Angel One the order to attack the battery, knowing Haven Two Two was already inbound to destroy it, as the system would have already marked the target as being engaged.

[b]<<Jesus, Haven One Zero, this is Angel One.... doing a three-sixty to get set up... I've got a faulty uplink...>>[/b]

[b]<<You too? We've been dropping off the net like flies, Angel One! Wait, do you hear that?>>[/b] An audible sound of the radar lock warning notification called out over the intercom, Angel One's own unit doing the same.
[b]
<<I think we've got a Zilla inbound... I repeat, Zilla...>>[/b] Angel One called out, immediately dropping his attempt at a three-sixty to get his bearings. His head and heart raced as he watched the compass headings move from right to left as he drove his aircraft into violent jerking maneuvers.

Traditionally, radar guided weapons followed a relatively simple pattern in their standard operating procedures, easily observable by Radar Warning Recievers (RWR) on board the Nodic aircraft. These RWRs were capable of picking up 'ambient' radar strobes from an active enemy radar, determine the pitch and frequency of these strobes, and classify them accordingly, warning the operator of the RWR what was happening. Each time a Nodic aircraft was 'pinged' with radio waves, a radar lock warning notification would sound, the appropriate symbol showing up on the pilot's HUD. This would technically be a 'normal' warning, as fire control radars would always ping 'targets' in its range to determine flight speed, heading and altitude, then announce to all available defenses this information, giving a simple heads up. This did not immediately mean a missile was inbound. Incidentally, this single ping would be all that was enough to notify the owner of an RWR that an enemy radar was present, somewhere.

Should the pilot be in immediate danger, radar lock warnings would begin to appear more frequently and at a greater magnitude, announcing that the enemy fire control radar has achieved a single-target track (STT) on his aircraft. The radar has chosen you to be the target and is focusing more energy against you to prepare an intercept solution to kill you, as it needs to be as accurate as possible. As it fires a missile to intercept you, it still requires information to tell the weapon where to fly - the lock warnings would become so frequent that it would cause the RWR to change its warning from a radar lock to a radar illumination.

Normally, this pattern was well rehearsed for all Nodic pilots. One would simply attempt to break a lock sequence whenever it appeared, performing violent maneuvers and dropping chaff and flares. Should an illumination occur, one could still maneuver for dear life. This is where a Zilla, code named after a popular monster of horrendous proportions would come into play with Nodic vernacular. Zillas referred to advanced systems, systems such as the incoming SM-2's fired by the seventeen Cadian F-23s. These missiles did not follow this set pattern of lock, transition to illumination. Zillas were capable of illuminating while appearing to simply lock on a Nodic RWR. The Zilla would instantaneously switch to illumination, by then rendering chaff and flares obsolete, unannounced missiles striking unwary prey.

Fortunately, there was a tell tale sign of an incoming Zilla attack. Should a number of Nodic aircraft find themselves all, or nearly all being locked simultaneously, they would be sure that a volley of incoming missiles would appear soon after. Such weapons the Cadians used were not alien to Nodic aviation - as the Nodic battle net utilized many within its National Anti-aircraft Defense Network.

[b]<<For $%&@'s sake Haven One Zero... what the hell do they have that operates on X-band??!?!?!>>

<<Uhh....>>[/b]

Haven One Zero was numb. The threat of the Zilla rocked him to the core.

[b]<<This is for !@#$@#$ keeps, kid! You have to know this !@#$.>>[/b] Angel One berated his (technically equal) superior. Despite his rank, Angel One had no qualms against bringing up the large disparity between their ages... Angel One's inferior rank status merely a byproduct of his 'misconduct' and subsequent punishment.

[b]<<Wake the $%&@ up people, we've got a Zilla. You know the !@#$@#$ drill!>>[/b] He finally announced over the comms to all Haven groups in the area. He felt like spitting into his microphone as he thought of the bypass of the chain of command he had to make in order to save as many lives as possible.

[i]!@#$@#$ snot nosed kids with their heads up their asses so far they can check up on their stock portfolios![/i] He though to himself. Sure he was feeling spiteful over his forced demotion for the first time. But the situation excused it, surely.

Angel One nosed down, tumbling his aircraft as he descended beneath the clouds of ashen soot from Palma, ejecting flares and streams of chaff. He managed to lose the lock for a brief moment. His X-band warning squawked. He eyed it as he continued down.

It was not until he saw a red streak fly horizontally past his canopy did he decide to breathe again. Peering at his compass again, he could see that his wing line was perpendicular to the curvature of the earth. The missile was streaking downwards, and he had barely missed it by banking sharply! Hearing a distant thud as the weapon imploded ballistically upon a surface structure below, he managed a grimace before getting back to business.

[b]<<I wanna know where these $%&@ers are... their AA is toast, its time we found ourselves moving targets!>>[/b] he said, before twisting and weaving his way towards what he only hoped was the source of the incoming fire. He toggled the stick trigger and glanced at the IR display, remembering to cross check the gyro and the other flight instruments as he did so. He was sweating heavily- this was hairy, dangerous flying. Any mistake would prove deadly. No sooner than he broke the cloud cover did his advanced FLIR system pick up extremely faint, yet persistant signatures heading towards Haven's position. The Integrated Infrared Detection Unit was a godsend, Angel One finalized to himself. While the inbound Cadian aircraft would have the smallest IR exhaust signature around, nothing save radical design changes would prevent skin-friction from showing up on Angel One's extremely sensitive sensors.

[b]<<Haven One Zero we have incoming, I repeat, seventeen inbound from the South West. Over! Over?>>[/b]

No response from Haven One Zero. [i]Ehh.... the kid bought the farm. [/i]He thought, switching to a new frequency to address the surviving members of Haven group.

[b]<<Drop everything your doing and engage hostiles... they're headed our way! Evasive maneuvers.>>

<<Roger that>>

<<I concur>>

<<Locus acknowledged.>>

[/b]Immediately switching focus from the Cadian surface defenses to the inbound fighters, the nine Nodic aircraft roared towards them, surviving SEAD-MAs also following suit.
[b]
<<Let some of those things linger behind us. We need to tie up these guys for Tombstone and Strike to get the hell out of the Med... and were gonna let 'em do it. The Net is down, we're gonna have to do this the old-fashioned way.>>

[/b]Angel One thoughtfully fingered the wing-fuel dump switch, glancing at the fuel indicator reading on his glass cockpit before flipping it. He listened to other Haven leaders directing the remnants of the Haven groups as he watched the indicator fall - 1,000 pounds of fuel seeped into the atmosphere. Content that his aircraft was lighter, the wings empty, he sealed the valves. Without the weight, he'd be faster, and at less of a risk if a shell or missile impacted his wing.

Cranking a 5-G turn, Angel One pointed his nose dead at the oncoming fighters. They were at exceedingly close ranges, taking off from Palma - they would soon cross missile range and head into gun range. Performing a neat barrel roll, he squinted at the bright white of a magnesium bomb, no doubt a result of the sorties they flew moments ago.

A string of tracers reached for his cockpit from straight ahead. Banking sharply, he kept the nose pointed and turn in, the engines straining against the stress placed on them by the thrust vectoring systems. Angel One ignored the shouts of disbelief as the other pilots were forced to follow suit. The tracer streams weaved, trying to correct- prodding the sky like a protruding finger. The shells reached for the Haven groups, their pilots rolling and jinking, turning hard to get in licks of their own. Angel One's target was shooting bursts of five or six rounds- god they were close!

Quickly setting his armament panel to train off all weapons stations, he glanced to confirm his four wing mounted 30mm's were paired up equally for maximum effect. 'Jesusss.... ooooh Jesssus. . .' he muttered. Looking back, he would have surely laughed at his new found sense of understanding with the Lord. Jamming his throttles to the stops, he swerved inwards, his four cannons thumping like nobody's business. A wall of lead would surge through the Cadian lines, both sides playing a dangerous game of chicken as they threaded past.
[b]
<<We need to get behind these $%&@ers! >> [/b]he roared, slamming on the airbrakes and reversing the thrust of his engines, causing him to appear to stall. Content with this jarring maneuver, he allowed his aircraft to lazily twist and weave before slamming his thrust back into gear and twisting his aircraft to pursue the Cadians. As the other Nodic pilots followed suit, Angel One began

[b]<< These guys are good, didn't even bat an eyelash, held formation the entire time.... but we're better.>> [/b]he muttered.
[b]
<<Do you always talk this much?>> [/b]a strained voice sounded over the comm. Laughing to himself, he recognized the female voice at once - it was Alpha One. Noticing the friendly signatures approaching, at extreme speeds, he grimaced as they roared past overhead, shuddering his canopy and heading due west for the exit.

[b]<<This is Angel One, cover Tombstone and Strike, I repeat, cover Tombstone and Strike.>>[/b]

Tombstone and Strike would leave the straight relatively un-harassed. The large force sent North East after them would miss them by mere moments, as the AN-1's and FN-23's looped east wards before ending up due west of Alcudia.

Angel One was busy with his computer. [b]<<Six targets, all small... shoot at any time.>> [/b]Even before he gave the order, he could hear and see the streams of lead reaching for the Cadians. Ripples of steam filled his canopy as SIR-74ACs lashed out from beneath his compatriots' wings. The drone of the 30mm's he fired numbed his sensations.

[b]<<They're turning our way, they've given up the chase on Tombstone and Strike! We've won!>> [/b]he heard another voice exclaim joyously.

[b]<<Pity they're headed for us now...>> [/b]Angel One muttered, not batting an eye lash. He said nothing as his X-band warning began its tone. Twenty six miles, and over mach 2, the Cadians formed a line abreast in a slight descent to meet Haven. The two groups of planes closed at each other in excess of 2000 knots, more than a mile every two seconds. Another exchange of fire, this time with the Cadians ending up in the rear.

[i]They'll fire more missiles this time [/i]Angel One mused. Turning 30 degrees to reintercept, he barely caught the image of a diamond shaped fighter turning hard, vapor pouring off its frame as the Cadian pulled maximum G, prompting Angel One to do the same. This was a hollow victory, he thought to himself morosely, regret seeping into his heart. The real battle would be in the coming days and weeks after Operation Break the World - he knew it. He also knew he was going to miss it. He followed the Cadian as best he could - the man was bobbing and weaving like a madman. Finally letting a burst off, Angel One saw nothingness as the target exploded, a reflection of the hollow victory, and trials yet to come.

Angel One would never see the weapon that killed him. Nor would he see the rest of the Haven groups fall one at a time to Cadian reinforcements heading from the North East. Tombstone and Strike would make it back to Leucosia, but at a heavy price.

OOC:

Initial
12 FN-23 Air Superiority Crafts
24 AN-1 Krieg Fast Close Air Support Craft
18 F/AN-37 Strike Fighters

Losses (Initial SOM salvo)
4 FN-23's
4 AN-1's
9 F/AN-37's

Losses (Escaping Battle [This Post])
9 [/size][/font][font="Arial"][size="2"]F/AN-37's[/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]
Callsigns
Haven 1 to 3, 6 F/AN-37's Each
Strike 1 to 4, 3 FN-23's Each
Tombstone 1 to 4, 6 AN-1's Each
Battlestar -----Warfleets Leucosia and Morgen

I'm out of the Med. Yawoo still needs to post, I dont want my subs to stay in limbo forever.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Executive Minister' timestamp='1296754470' post='2617883']
"Indeed, even if we were to return unscathed, we would be court martialed. Or worse.... It's becoming... more and more difficult to understand who or what we are fighting for in this war. Summon Admiral O'Donnel to the bridge," L'Héraut ordered.

[i]'Yes ma'am...'[/i]
[/quote]

After giving in to his captors demands and, despite himself, enjoying the food in the Captain's quarters. O'Donnel was glad to share in the company of his counterpart even if only briefly. After only what seemed like a short while, his captors returned and delivered what had to be bad news as the Captain rushed off closing and sealing the door behind her. Once again, O'Donnel was trapped in a tiny room with no one to speak with, only his mind for comfort.

After being taken to the bridge, once again, without revealing why he was moved, O'Donnel stood next to L'Heraut, his eyebrow raised in a questioning manner.