Regarding Recent Events

Robster83

As I have been in two alliances that have suffered the defacing and/or hijacking of their forums, I can say with absolute certainty that it crosses a line that should never be crossed. There is no room for such childish behavior in this game.

Our individual forums are the hearts of our respective communities. They house our histories and represent the collective work of many individuals. I remember how terrible it felt when the LSF lost everything because of one d-bag. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, not even on [i]Nordreich.[/i] It's poor sportsmanship, plain and simple.

I host the INT forums and "own" the domain names. I would never pull that stunt. If the day ever came when I didn't have the money or desire to stay with them, I'd make every effort to pass on stewardship to someone else, regardless of any personal grudges I might harbor. It's a game. I can't say that I know any details of the squabble that led to this, but that seems irrelevant. There's no reason to piss on the goodwill of the people who trusted you.

-Craig

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1294181111' post='2563505']
According to admin the divine.
[/quote]
Oh, and that's why alliances are allowed to demand the transfer of forum administration rights on offsite forums in surrender terms?

(Hint: They aren't. Forum administration is OOC.)

[quote name='Vespassianus' timestamp='1294142729' post='2563013']
Someone should just slap that !@#$%* and give a brain to UPN.
[/quote]

There once was this story involving a Scarecrow that required a Brain. Not even a young farm girl from Kansas could help him. I imagine this was most likely because she did not know the following little fact.

Viewing this [url=http://thebrainalliance.com]here[/url] forum immediately raises your IQ by 25 points and posting an application raises it by a further 50 points. If accepted, the increase in IQ is exponential.

The application process does however involve being subjected to screening and consequently tends to weed out the weak, especially those with a below average IQ.

Actually, on second thoughts, even with the initial boost in points, they would probably be just as well phoning up Dot and asking if she wants to go for a walk.

She paid for it, she left on very bad terms. She's still paying for it. She has every right to do what she did. It's not classy at all, but within her rights because it is her domain name.

On the other hand, it's not their fault for not changing it. They'd expect more of her and she kicked them in the balls just because she could.

Whether it was an OOC attack is questionable, because forums are just as much a part of the game as the nations. It's not like she hacked anyone's email, it's all a part of the game.

[quote name='MrMuz' timestamp='1294318683' post='2565761']
She paid for it, she left on very bad terms. She's still paying for it. She has every right to do what she did. It's not classy at all, but within her rights because it is her domain name.

On the other hand, it's not their fault for not changing it. They'd expect more of her and she kicked them in the balls just because she could.

Whether it was an OOC attack is questionable, because forums are just as much a part of the game as the nations. It's not like she hacked anyone's email, it's all a part of the game.
[/quote]

She stepped out of the game by doing this... Every right to do what she did? If we are talking about [u]legal rights[/u], then no she did not, since there was a verbal contract saying she gives us a deadline until the 16th, even in real life verbal agreements are legally binding if you can prove them. If you want to relate this to the actual law concerning websites, as far as I am aware legally she can do whatever she wishes with the domain ( point it to whatever image she wants, no matter how scum it makes her,) but she agreed to host us until the 16th and "passed on the hosting" if you like. It is like buying a gift for someone, and then 3months later having a dispute with them and demanding it back... The gift was passed on, and when the agreement is made the ownership gets passed on. I.E When she hosted us and agreed to host us for an X period of time, she is no longer the only party involved - and if she decides to close us down she needs to give us a warning/deadline. One that she actually sticks to.

[quote]On the other hand, it's not their fault for not changing it. They'd expect more of her and she kicked them in the balls just because she could.[/quote]

Aye. Of course we regret not acting faster now, but I don't see how people can be blaming us. Totally agree with what you are saying.

On topic: messing with the collective work of hundreds of players and an "history" to which they collectively devoted countless hours of their time - i.e. the content of their forums - may be [i]legal[/i], but it's still utterly wrong.
Anyway, I'm not here to point my finger and to say that I'd never do any such thing: I can't know - there's a monster inside [i]everyone[/i] - and people can certainly make bad decisions - especially under stress.

Good luck to UPN in sorting this mess, and best wishes to Peggy_Sue: may she see the light and give UPN's collective work back to those that created it.

Side note:
[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1294165498' post='2563211']I disagree and here's why:

Why so many dislike UPN is because they chose to ignore their treaty obligations last war. E-lawyers will be e-lawyers but UPN's no show last war [i]helped [/i] stagnation though not directly, indirectly it certainly did. Had they went in things would have been a bit more even and alliances who ignore treaties such as themselves are a major reason why so many leave. So I wouldn't say it's uncalled for at all, in fact I hope more echo my statement.

Alliances like UPN do nothing but look really bad and though their incompetence may be entertaining to some, I'm finding it quite GGA-esque, it's certainly not helping to attract new players.

Is it unfortunate their boards went down? Well isn't it unfortunate they left some alliances out in the dark? Oh but this is OOC, thankfully it's [i]just [/i]forums.[/quote]
The MVP, you know that I respect you but this "theory" of yours that UPN would be part of a "major reason" for the shrinking of the player base is quite incredible.

Edited by jerdge