Regarding Recent Events

Robster83

Many of you may of be aware that UPN faced some problems with its forums. Firstly I would like to say that we have a new forum link in; www.cnupn.org

To sum it up Peggy decided to deface our forums, which also led to us having a significant amount of data loss... Now whatever you may think of UPN, we have never resolved to tactics like this. As far as I am aware this is the epitome of "scum" gameplay.

After some digging into the incident, it was discovered in Whois data that the nameservers had been redirected to the image by the owner of the account, Peggy_Sue.

[quote]This was followed up by the following message:

To: Altheus From: Peggy_Sue Date: 1/3/2011 3:09:48 AM

Subject: A talk today

Shall we talk today around 3 pm server time about how you will get the UPN forum back? My request for the trade will be very simple.[/quote]

Problematically it's hard to blackmail an alliance whom, 1. Doesn't want to deal with you to get back pixels, 2. Already recovered the majority of the data they needed from the forum and moved it anyway. Either way, we could not include this in character, but we would like to let the CN community know what happened. That is all.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I am bros. You might recognize me from the Mushroom Kingdom Boards, The OWF, or the New Polar Order Forums. I also admin the forums of the United Purple Nations, also known as UPN. Yesterday evening (the 2nd), I was going to visit the UPN forums to check up on them, as I do frequently. However, I was greeted with a lewd image and a rather inappropriate quote. My first thought was "Was this a hacking?" Then, I had to determine whether or not it was a hacking or not. I attempted to log into the control panel of the website and was unsuccessful in my multiple attempts. As a result of these failed attempts, I switched computers and tried to access the forums. Through a streak of luck, I was able to do so. Even luckier, I was able to back up their forums. After that, I was determined to figure out what happened to the forums and I continued my quest. I decided to perform a whois of the domain (Think of it as a... technical phonebook that says who owns the domain and where it is hosted)

I loaded the whois, and saw this:
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: CNUPN.NET
Created on: 16-Jul-10
Expires on: 16-Jul-11
[b]Last Updated on: 02-Jan-11[/b]

I also saw what was there previously, the privatization of Peggy Sue's (the purchaser of cnupn.net) information.

Then I scrolled down further and saw something unusual:
Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.DREAMHOST.COM
!@#$%*.DREAMHOST.COM (oh hey look a banned word) :P
NS3.DREAMHOST.COM

Why is that atypical, you ask?

For a singular reason: dreamhost is not the host of UPN. Their webhost was ApisNetworks (A host used by alliances such as the New Pacific Order, New Polar Order, and Orange Defense Network). The only person with the ability to change the nameservers (The things that tell the domain where the server is) is Peggy Sue.

Any questions?

Edited by bros2

We had to face something similar with Salithus ragequitting and taking the forums down with him. We lost a lot of valuable data and it took weeks of work to get the forums back to their original condition, so I sympathize with UPN on this (as much as it pains me to say it).

Good luck gents.

Edited by Biazt

Low blow is low, but it demonstrates nicely precisely how much Peggy cares about anyone or anything besides herself and her own interests. Something many of us already knew, and some fervently chose to not believe.

Edited by Xiphosis

[quote name='thedestro' timestamp='1294127938' post='2562895']
Tbh I'm surprised Peggy had the presence of mind to recognize UPN behavior as what she described on the front page. I thought some random anti-upn guy did it. And for that +cool points
[/quote]

What happens in character, should stay in character.

[quote name='Robster83' timestamp='1294128131' post='2562897']
What happens in character, should stay in character.
[/quote]
This. Wreck someone's nation all you want, but doing something outside of the game that requires a number of people to spend their own personal time sorting out is low. I've been through it with MHA and it's pathetic behaviour.

[quote name='Robster83' timestamp='1294126997' post='2562879']
Many of you may of be aware that UPN faced some problems with its forums. Firstly I would like to say that we have a new forum link in; www.cnupn.org

To sum it up Peggy decided to deface our forums, which also led to us having a significant amount of data loss... Now whatever you may think of UPN, we have never resolved to tactics like this. As far as I am aware this is the epitome of "scum" gameplay.

After some digging into the incident, it was discovered in Whois data that the nameservers had been redirected to the image by the owner of the account, Peggy_Sue.

Problematically it's hard to blackmail an alliance whom, 1. Doesn't want to deal with you to get back pixels, 2. Already recovered the majority of the data they needed from the forum and moved it anyway. Either way, we could not include this in character, but we would like to let the CN community know what happened. That is all.
[/quote]
Rob, i got no beef with you bro but you're just as dumb as her and ill briefly explain why

#1, she supposedly left on sour terms? why the blue hell would you not start looking into a new host THAT DAY..did you really think she wasnt going to cancel them? hell someone did this to Fark during Karma war

#2 for all intents and purposes this was her stuff, she paid for and owned and could put up whatever she pleases. Sure it was a pretty crappy thing to do and all but again i wouldnt have let someone like that have control of the forums

#3 Can i be the third Triumvirate? i want to raid that 14k infra/tech guy :)

[quote name='wickedj' timestamp='1294141348' post='2563003']
Rob, i got no beef with you bro but you're just as dumb as her and ill briefly explain why

#1, she supposedly left on sour terms? why the blue hell would you not start looking into a new host THAT DAY..did you really think she wasnt going to cancel them? hell someone did this to Fark during Karma war

#2 for all intents and purposes this was her stuff, she paid for and owned and could put up whatever she pleases. Sure it was a pretty crappy thing to do and all but again i wouldnt have let someone like that have control of the forums

#3 Can i be the third Triumvirate? i want to raid that 14k infra/tech guy :)
[/quote]

I think Wicked covered it pretty good. Sure it sucks, but the blame is on UPN and not on Peggy here. Something with a donkey and a rock.

[quote name='kriekfreak' timestamp='1294142131' post='2563011']
I think Wicked covered it pretty good. Sure it sucks, but the blame is on UPN and not on Peggy here. Something with a donkey and a rock.
[/quote]

While Peggy had every right to cancel payments for the forums, it was totally unnecessary to a) delete the old Zetaboards forum, which Peggy didn't need to pay for. b) Put up a near-NSFW picture and insulting text on cnupn.net, c) blackmail UPN for forum data. Blaming UPN is like blaming a rape victim for being raped.

[quote name='James IV' timestamp='1294134562' post='2562956']
Why did she still have the keys in the first place? :facepalm:
[/quote]

I must say, this crossed my mind initially, but as much as people try to blame UPN for this (admittedly it wasn't very smart), Peggy is the one who defaced the forums. Whether or not she "could" is completely irrelevant. It's like giving money to charity and taking it away because it wasn't there's really.

It's not right and it says a lot about a person we all started to doubt awhile back.

[quote name='DonVox' timestamp='1294143554' post='2563017']
While Peggy had every right to cancel payments for the forums, it was totally unnecessary to a) delete the old Zetaboards forum, which Peggy didn't need to pay for. b) Put up a near-NSFW picture and insulting text on cnupn.net, c) blackmail UPN for forum data. Blaming UPN is like blaming a rape victim for being raped.
[/quote]

I disagree, its more like blaming a car owner when it gets nicked cos he left the doors open, the keys in, and the engine running.

[quote name='Nobody Expects' timestamp='1294143869' post='2563019']
I disagree, its more like blaming a car owner when it gets nicked cos he left the doors open, the keys in, and the engine running.
[/quote]
Or like a blaming a rape victim for wearing a skimpy outfit and walking alone into the alleyway.

[quote name='Voytek' timestamp='1294143979' post='2563021']
Or like a blaming a rape victim for wearing a skimpy outfit and walking alone into the alleyway.
[/quote]

And here I was thinking she just [i]hijacked[/i]. But we've all heard it here. She's out there preying on our forums...

Edited by Ironfist

[quote name='Voytek' timestamp='1294143979' post='2563021']
[/quote]
Getting raped in alleyways by strangers is incredibly rare. Most rape victims are raped by people they know.

Anyway, quite apart from inappropriate metaphors. What UPN did was stupid, but what Peggy did was extremely mean-spirited. It's pretty easy to say that UPN could have stopped this situation from getting out of hand, but it was in fact Peggy who sent the situation spiralling out of control. So lay blame on UPN if you want for them being naive, but I'd rather deal with someone who's naive than, well, a pit viper anyday.

[quote name='Haflinger' timestamp='1294144258' post='2563024']Getting raped in alleyways by strangers is incredibly rare. Most rape victims are raped by people they know.[/quote]
I'm aware, thanks. I'm describing a misogynistic opinion, not expressing it.

To all of you who are saying that we are party responsible... She told us that she will give until the 16th to move. Whatever our opinions of Peggy, we didnt think she would sink so low. We were going to move to USN's server this week. Also she deleted bros' backup account... So her intentions are clear. Either UPN is not asking for your sympathy, we are simply giving you the facts... You can form your own opinion on it.

Blaming these events on UPN is just absurd. Next time some real life misfortune hits you, don't come running to me for help. Congratulating her for her act of vandalism, like you just did Destro, says an aweful lot about your character.