Legio Frigidum

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' timestamp='1292234302' post='2538345']
You know as well as I war doesn't work quite like that anymore, especially with smaller alliances having bigger upper tiers than huge ones in some cases, and that being the where wars are won. Then with meatshields of such terrible quality as this it's not so bad. Point taken, though :v:
[/quote]
I actually disagree again, nowadays war takes far, far less skill. Lob nuke, wash hands, repeat. Numerical superiority is far harder to overcome nowadays than in previous wars.

(I hate this fact, too. WoTC was the last fun war to plan, after that it was all-nuclear all the time)

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1292255226' post='2538469']
There's two ways I see this move.

Firstly, the cynic in me would say that this is merely a calculated move to move closer (but not too close!) to NPO to secure their help in any fight against PB.

Alternatively, I see this as as a treaty that's been in the works for a long time now, but was rushed into completion due to recent events (hence the lack of ally notification).[/quote]

There's always Option #3: Although long-time rivals, the two of them talked for some time and discovered that they actually like each other. I've seen it happen before. (cf. Nordreich-Valhalla treaty)

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1292258911' post='2538507']
There's always Option #3: Although long-time rivals, the two of them talked for some time and discovered that they actually like each other. I've seen it happen before. (cf. Nordreich-Valhalla treaty)
[/quote]
That's more or less what I meant by option 2.

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1292258911' post='2538507']
[/quote]

or option 4 this is the treaty that Legion dumped everyone to get and the backlash finally wore off, or it could be as you say either way it definatly makes for interesting line ups. I shall order a truck load of popcorn to get me through the winter months :awesome:

[quote name='bigwoody' timestamp='1292257283' post='2538490']
(I hate this fact, too. WoTC was the last fun war to plan, after that it was all-nuclear all the time)
[/quote]

This is something I'm disagreeing with. Bipolar and Karma were also fun you should only make certain you got enough nations to target. So you have to prioritize who to hit first, or compromise on something else.

I actually disagree again, nowadays war takes far, far less skill. Lob nuke, wash hands, repeat. Numerical superiority is far harder to overcome nowadays than in previous wars.

[/quote]
Ah, the time when people actually did something with their nations instead of sitting around for a year building their warchest to a size where they can rebuild themselves 10x over. I miss those days.

[/quote]
I disagree. Nuclear warfare has several nuances that conventional warfare does not. It takes a greater understanding of timing and game mechanics to win each day's rounds, and nukes nearly negate the effect of dogpiling everything that moves. Wars are now about skill, organization, and logistics, not getting enough people to throw at the enemy that you overwhelm them. It's a lot more fun imo.

This is somewhat surprising, I must say. Congratulations to you both and perhaps this is a sign of PB polarising (:awesome:) politics into 'for' and 'against' camps.

[quote]I actually disagree again, nowadays war takes far, far less skill. Lob nuke, wash hands, repeat. Numerical superiority is far harder to overcome nowadays than in previous wars.[/quote]
Having fought in a few all-nuclear wars now and against alliances much bigger than mine, smaller than mine and about the same (taking into account tier limits, other engagements etc), I have to say that this is one of the great lies of modern warfare. Nukes perhaps reduce the difference in a 1v1, but in a normal situation nukes actually act as a leveller (the outnumbering side will eat more) and all the skills except obtaining a GA anarchy are just as important.