A Problem With CNRP

Lestari

I have a problem with CNRP.

Taking a look at the map, I see a number of things. White space, it seems to me, is becoming more and more sporadic, and the majority of it is to be found in North America, or even Antartica--and who wants to RP in a desolate wasteland? And even Antartica is being slowly gobbled up.

Meanwhile, nations like Japan, Zargathia and Union of Slavic Republics (which controls a vast amount of land) post once every 25 days and don't even RP. This is pretty much akin to keeping land away from potential new RPers, for no purpose, as they don't even do any RP. What's the point in holding land if you're not even going to take part in RP? I understand some people are unable to RP due to problems in their lives, but if someone finds themselves unable to do more than one post every 25 days--one post that can hardly be called RP--then it seemed only courteous that they would allow their land to be white space so that at least new players can have a chance to RP where they like.

I know I'll probably just get a bunch of people accusing me of whining, but I felt I should bring this up.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can already see one name on that list that put a lot of time in his rp, who did more for the cnrp history than most of the active players and who is all in all a very good writer. We have been dealing with a lack of white space since the very creation of the world map, every few months complaints have been made about the lack of land however people have always managed to get a nice area of land. This is nothing different than a return of a dead subject that in reality isn't nearly as bad as people would like to think. For that matter the lack of white space has always been concentrated in the same areas. That being Europe first and Asia second but as I said we have always seen new nations rise there.

It is because of this that I honestly don't think we should go as far as wiping people before they reach the 25 day deadline because it is a made up problem and needs no action at all.

Edit: Wiping people before they go inactive would actually scare away new players because it would create an atmosphere of random loss of land without any real reason.

Edited by Centurius

*laughs* Oh no my friend. You're right on target. Yet if you try to provide an alternative most people do not care. Then again, perhaps my alternative has been to invasive to most people who do not want to deal with a world filled with active NPCs ready to counter acts of aggression and evil. They want a dead world. It suits them.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1290287146' post='2518395']
*laughs* Oh no my friend. You're right on target. Yet if you try to provide an alternative most people do not care. Then again, perhaps my alternative has been to invasive to most people who do not want to deal with a world filled with active NPCs ready to counter acts of aggression and evil. They want a dead world. It suits them.
[/quote]

No, we don't want dragon gods deciding our every move.

Maybe they have in the past, Centurius, but clearly not anymore. I believe that if someone posts once every 25 days simply to keep their land, it is not fair, by far, to new players who want some land and can't get it except in Antarctica. If someone posts once every 25 days recognising a new nation or 'updating their military', then they should not be allowed to continue to hold their land, regardless of whether they've gone over 25 days.

[quote name='dotCom' timestamp='1290287467' post='2518407']
Maybe they have in the past, Centurius, but clearly not anymore. I believe that if someone posts once every 25 days simply to keep their land, it is not fair, by far, to new players who want some land and can't get it except in Antarctica. If someone posts once every 25 days recognising a new nation or 'updating their military', then they should not be allowed to continue to hold their land, regardless of whether they've gone over 25 days.
[/quote]

The thing is though there simply are players who only post when it is a subject they are interested in rather than post for the sake of posting. Vektor is one of them.

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1290287116' post='2518392']
I can already see one name on that list that put a lot of time in his rp, who did more for the cnrp history than most of the active players and who is all in all a very good writer. We have been dealing with a lack of white space since the very creation of the world map, every few months complaints have been made about the lack of land however people have always managed to get a nice area of land. This is nothing different than a return of a dead subject that in reality isn't nearly as bad as people would like to think. For that matter the lack of white space has always been concentrated in the same areas. That being Europe first and Asia second but as I said we have always seen new nations rise there.

It is because of this that I honestly don't think we should go as far as wiping people before they reach the 25 day deadline because it is a made up problem and needs no action at all.

Edit: Wiping people before they go inactive would actually scare away new players because it would create an atmosphere of random loss of land without any real reason.
[/quote]
Mudd did a ton to build this world, but he was wiped for inactivity. KP did a lot, but he was wiped for inactivity. If Cochin didn't post for 25 days, he would be wiped. The same goes for Yawoo, and JED, and me, and Botha, and Triyun, and even you. Nobody is above the rules. Now, as the rules go, everyone is still obeying them. However, I feel there's something very wrong when a person is considered active if all they do is post on day 24 "The USR recognizes this nation," and is silent for 24 more days. When you have such massive empires being the least active people, there is something we need to address. Now, if you have RL issues, that's fine, but I find it unlikely and disrespectful if you can't jump on the forums for 12 seconds and tell us that you're going to be busy. Now, I think the best thing to do would be to come up with a new standard of what is considered "active." Posting one line every month is not active, and you all damn well know that.

Most new players complain about taking land in Antarctica, and they only take it because it happens to be the path of least effort in the "getting land" thing. If there is no white space, people would HAVE to ask for new land, and likely HAVE to start a RP connection with someone immediately. Rather than just claim their white space and do nothing with it but look at the pretty color they added to the world map.

KaiserMelech sums up my opinion perfectly. Doesn't matter if they post 'only when a subject interests them'. It's quite irritating that these huge empires control vast amounts of land and deprive new players of the chance to RP in an area they actually want to RP in--yet they post one sentence just to keep their land there for no purpose.

In agreement with KM, the definition of 'active' in CNRP needs to be redefined, because this is not activity as much as it is depriving new players of land.

[quote name='Saarkin Cor' timestamp='1290288093' post='2518413']
Most new players complain about taking land in Antarctica, and they only take it because it happens to be the path of least effort in the "getting land" thing. If there is no white space, people would HAVE to ask for new land, and likely HAVE to start a RP connection with someone immediately. Rather than just claim their white space and do nothing with it but look at the pretty color they added to the world map.
[/quote]

Will you have my babies?

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1290288187' post='2518417']
More like you can't really stand the sense of there being any authority besides your guns.
[/quote]

Nope, we just don't want a dragon god deciding what we should do.

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1290288335' post='2518420']
Nope, we just don't want a dragon god deciding what we should do.
[/quote]
Okay, this is not to discuss Maelstrom's dragon god, this is to discuss the problems (as I see it) with the CNRP map at the moment. So let's leave who decides what we should do aside for the moment and stay on topic.

That's funny. Because I've never told anyone to do anything specific in my RPs. I've written stories. Offered to let them participate.. let them get involved.. and some have changed their mind and I let them out of the story. I hardly call that telling anyone what to do. I've created a system in which people can determine how their characters and their nations are balanced. From what I can tell, I've liberated the author and their options, not restrained them. Except for say when you try to invade Qatar without any consultation of your neighbors.

People cannot stand the concept of enforced consequence.

edit: Sorry Dot, was posting this even as you made your request. All the same, it is merely one of many symptoms not of the system but of the players in the system who have created a cabal to control it.

You point these out, you will get flak and you'll rapidly find yourself an outsider.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Saarkin Cor' timestamp='1290288093' post='2518413']
[/quote]
That would be good and well if newbies weren't so intimidated to ask for land, and if certain people would actually give some out. Unless you make it [u]blatantly[/u] clear that land needs to be asked for, nobody will join because they'll think everything is used up.

[quote name='KaiserMelech Mikhail' timestamp='1290288620' post='2518425']
That would be good and well if newbies weren't so intimidated to ask for land, and if certain people would actually give some out. Unless you make it [u]blatantly[/u] clear that land needs to be asked for, nobody will join because they'll think everything is used up.
[/quote]

Then do just that, post a line in a good format in the world map that land can be asked for.

[quote name='dotCom' timestamp='1290289000' post='2518432']
Again, the problem is also these huge empires that gobble up land, don't RP, and basically deprive other RPers the chance to RP where they want to RP, rather than settle for an area they really did not want to RP in.
[/quote]

And most of those large empires will part with pieces of land if they are asked.

[quote name='dotCom' timestamp='1290289000' post='2518432']
Again, the problem is also these huge empires that gobble up land, don't RP, and basically deprive other RPers the chance to RP where they want to RP, rather than settle for an area they really did not want to RP in.
[/quote]

Except everyone tends to want to RP the same few spots on the map. We can't rotate nations to keep everyone that wants lolermany or lolatican or lolmerica or lolapan or lolrance

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1290289273' post='2518436']
And most of those large empires will part with pieces of land if they are asked.
[/quote]
Really. So if I were to ask Malatose if I could have part of his territory, he would say it's fine. If I were to ask Elrich von Richt for a piece of Japan, he'd give it to me. If I were to ask Amyante for a bit of Zargathia, he'd let me have it.

Then again, I'd probably have to wait a few weeks to get a reply anyway.

[quote name='dotCom' timestamp='1290289582' post='2518442']
Really. So if I were to ask Malatose if I could have part of his territory, he would say it's fine. If I were to ask Elrich von Richt for a piece of Japan, he'd give it to me. If I were to ask Amyante for a bit of Zargathia, he'd let me have it.

Then again, I'd probably have to wait a few weeks to get a reply anyway.
[/quote]

Most likely yes and their activity on other media suggests otherwise.

I originally way back in the way back days wanted to RP as either Poland, Pa. or CT. considering my home connection to all three of those areas, in the case of Pa, and CT. I would ask JED and he would not let me have control(at the time Jed had control of Pa.) same thing with Polish lands. I have asked personally but sometimes the RP'ers just won't give and I had to accept that.

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1290289665' post='2518443']
Most likely yes and their activity on other media suggests otherwise.
[/quote]
Great. I'll go ask Amyante immediately.

And if they can be active on 'other media' then why the hell can they not be active on CNRP? That just argues my point even further.