The CyberNations World Cup 2010

kamichi

[center][img]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2332/wc2010logov.png[/img][/center]
[size="6"][b]Introduction[/b][/size]
Good morning sports fans and welcome to the true pinnacle of athletic entertainment, the CyberNations World Cup 2010. WC2010 is a simulated soccer (hereafter known as 'football') tournament which uses CN alliances as its teams, much like its real life FIFA namesake. Each team consists of a 16 player squad along with a manager who is able to change lineups and tactics between games.

What makes this different from the plethora of other tournament topics is that you, the viewer, actually get to watch the action. All matches are recorded and uploaded in their entirety for your viewing pleasure, with quality commentary from the best and/or worst wordsmiths to ever grace CN.

I will be using Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 to simulate the matches. Both teams in the game will be controlled by the Top Player AI and at no point will I, or anyone else, have any direct influence on the game itself. Indeed, if you've followed my past tournaments then you're still watching a computerised soccer match, with no human input, being shouted at by an uneducated British guy with a funny accent.

[size="4"][b]Past Tournaments[/b][/size]
(All links require an account on the MK forums)
- [url=http://thecastlehall.com/boards/index.php?topic=24117.0]The Mushroom Kingdom Invitational[/url]
- [url=http://thecastlehall.com/boards/index.php?topic=24762.0]World Cup 2009[/url]
- [url=http://thecastlehall.com/boards/index.php?topic=28247.0]Castle Fairgrounds Premier League[/url]
- [url=http://thecastlehall.com/boards/index.php?topic=30774.0]Satellite Five Premier League[/url]

[size="4"][b]Schedule[/b][/size]
30th October - 30th November: Applications [color=red][b]<- YOU ARE HERE[/b][/color]
1st - 14th December: Preparation
15th - 23rd December: Group Stages
26th - 27th December: Round of 16
28th December: Quarter Finals
29th December: Semi Finals
30th December: Finals

[size="6"][b]How do I apply?[/b][/size]
[size="4"][b]Requirements[/b][/size]
Each team must represent an alliance or a bloc, with no intermingling. One team per alliance only. Disbanded alliances will be considered on a case by case basis.

Are you in an eligble alliance and interested in entering? Here is the very minimum of what you need to give me, in handy checklist format.

☐ A name. [img]http://thecastlehall.com/boards/Smileys/kickass/v.gif[/img]
☐ An active manager who knows enough about football to set basic tactics.
☐ A list of 16 alliance members and relevant footballer descriptions.
☐ A suitable logo.

[b]Name[/b]
Easy enough, just choose a name which reflects your alliance and sounds vaguely like a football club. Some of the better past examples include MK Dons, Athens Athletic and Real Vanguard. But still, if you can't think of anything 'good' then don't worry, just use your alliance name.

[b]Manager[/b]
The manager of the team will typically choose the starting lineup, the set piece takers and general strategies for their team. This means they need some kind of rudimentary knowledge of how football works. They will also need to pay attention to the tournament and be active throughout the month of December so they're actually around to make these changes.

[b]Roster[/b]
By far the most important part of the application is the Roster. You need to give me the names, positions and descriptions for 16 players. That is, one goalkeeper, a mix of ten outfield positions and five substitutes.

Again, [i]Names[/i] are the easy part, the only restriction is a character limit (15).

Each player must have a single defined [i]position[/i]. You might want to decide the team's overall formation first, then choose individual positions. If you need help then use [url=http://www.players4export.com/imgs/soccer_field.jpg]this picture[/url] and the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_%28association_football%29#Common_modern_formations]Wikipedia page[/url] as references.

[i]Descriptions[/i] are the most important part of the roster. They're the only place you get to tell me about the kind of player you want, so include anything and everything. What they're good at, what they're bad at, any particular skills, their physique, even the colour of their lovely, flowing hair. This is your only opportunity to influence the creation of the players that will soon be representing your alliance, seize the day, write as much as you want.

Here are a few good examples of player descriptions from past tournaments to help you out.

[spoiler]DC - Coursca- I am an excellent tackler and header. I also have good ball control and am a decent passer, but my long ball leaves something to be desired. I am decent at placekicks and excellent at throw-ins. I always communicate with my surrounding players and I am pretty selfless with my body -- meaning I will use myself as a shield against a shot if necessary. Unfortunately, I have an affinity toward fouling because I am relatively physical. Good pace and stamina, but not the most fleet of foot.

AML - Majayjay - This tiny filipino firefracker has brought great attention to the small Pacific Island, a place normally ignored for anything regarding this sport. Has blistering pace in abundance and loves providing that perfect cross or dash into the box, has nonetheless been known to conserve all his energy for the attack and not track back as much as he should

ST - HDocho - HDocho's drunken dribbling is a sight to behold, as his enemies are dazzled by mad skills and the stench of tequila.

AMF - Jaym (C) - Star Player of the Minas Tirith Hobbit League, and 3 time Golden Foot Hair winner, Jaym has feet that can leave even Chris Angel in a daze. An intelligent player with a focus on setting up plays and threading the needle against a tight defence, Jaym will rarely decide to put the ball on goal. As a hobbit, his height gives self confidence to even the keeper.[/spoiler]

[b]Logo[/b]
The logo is mostly irrelevant and is just for fun. It's an image which will show up on the match scoreboard and as an emblem on your team's shirts. Max file size is 2MB, max resolution is 640x512 and the format should be PNG. If you want to make it look good then give it a transparent background. If you can't think of anything clever, then feel free to just use your alliance's flag.

[size="4"][b]Submission[/b][/size]
Once you think you're ready to submit your team, copy and paste the following form exactly and fill it in with your own team's information.

[code][b]Team Name[/b]:
[b]Manager[/b]:
[b]Logo[/b]:
[b]Formation:[/b]
GK - Name - Description
Position - Name - Description
S1 - Name - Description
S2 - Name - Description
S3 - Name - Description
S4 - Name - Description
S5 - Name - Description[/code]

Send the completed form to me via Private Message on [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=send&do=form&fromMemberID=263]these boards[/url], [url=http://www.avelegio.net/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=4116]The Legion's boards[/url] or the [url=http://thecastlehall.com/boards/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=17]Mushroom Kingdom's boards[/url]. Remember, there are only enough places for 20 teams so it is first come first serve. The deadline is set for December 1st but we might run out of space before that, so make sure to get your team's application submitted as soon as possible.

As of 1:40 GMT on the 21st November, [b]applications are closed[/b].

[size="4"][b]List of Confirmed Participants[/b][/size]
[spoiler] [size="6"][b]Applications are now closed[/b][/size]
1. O'Samurai United [Checkmate]
2. University Red Hawks [The University]
3. AFC Tetris [Tetris]
4. White City United [Gondor]
5. MK Dons [Mushroom Kingdom]
6. Umbrellailures [Umbrella]
7. Complaints Albion [C&G]
8. A Clockwork FC [ODN]
9. Tigris Altaica [STA]
10. Red Star FC [The International]
11. Verde e Brancos [GPA]
12. Vassal State FC [iFOK]
13. Juventus TOOLino [TOOL]
14. F.C. Hitchhikernazionale Milano [MHA]
15. XXX United [Exodus]
16. Atlético Mexica [MCXA]
17. IRON United [IRON]
18. LoSSed & Found [LoSS]
19. The Lion Kings [FOK]
20. CSKA Francograd [NPO]
21. Ordinary Men, Football Gods [OMFG]
22. Atletico Nemesis [Nemesis]
23. The Christian Crusaders [CCC]
24. FC Paradoxia [TOP]
[/spoiler]

[size="6"][b]Questions[/b][/size]
Please use this topic for any and all questions you have. After all, we do need to keep this topic alive for the next 40 days or so. I will also catalogue the most frequently asked questions here to save you the trouble.

You can also catch me (and possibly other veterans of past tournaments oh gosh!) on IRC at #wc2010.

[i]Q. Where are the managers supposed to manage formation, set piece takers etc.? [/i]

A. There will be a new topic when the tournament begins which will include a tactics form to fill in, similar to the roster submission form.

[i]Q. Will we be able to view the player descriptions of other teams?[/i]

A. All rosters will be in one of the first posts of the new topic, so yes, all rosters will be public.

Edited by kamichi

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Twizzler' timestamp='1288459639' post='2497351']
You guys take Place Holders? You know ODN will want in this again.
[/quote]

I'm only dedicating spaces to finished applications to encourage everyone to get theirs in as soon as possible. Creating 20 teams from scratch is a massive effort and I plan to start the process as soon as possible. If everyone waits to submit on the last possible day then I might not be ready in time, taking exams into account.

So the answer to your question is an unfortunate no, though I do look forward to ODN's latest team.

[18:17:00] <%Shamed> kamichi would you accept a C&G team
[18:17:05] <%Shamed> instead of an individual alliance
[18:17:39] <%kamichi> a seperate ODN team would be better
[18:17:43] <%kamichi> but otherwise sure

I know which side my bread is buttered.

or something

Edited by kamichi

Once more, AirMe puts all of you to shame and has already delivered three roster iterations. Needless to say, O'Samurai United are the first team to be accepted.

After being so cruelly denied by the SFPL's fiscal ruination, can O'Sam continue their all-conquering form onto the highest stage of them all?!

[quote name='kamichi' timestamp='1288461705' post='2497380']
Once more, AirMe puts all of you to shame and has already delivered three roster iterations. Needless to say, O'Samurai United are the first team to be accepted.

After being so cruelly denied by the SFPL's fiscal ruination, can O'Sam continue their all-conquering form onto the highest stage of them all?!
[/quote]

What can I say? These leagues are the #2 reason I am still playing this game.

I don't understand soccer, but I do like being yelled at by kamichi.

The loss by Real Vanguard to MK Dons in the final of the Castle Fairgrounds Premier League is still a damned outrage, though. Especially after Real Vanguard's unstoppable winning streak prior to that final.

Addressing a question asked on IRC while I was asleep:

[03:17:42] <Medix|Sanitarium> hey I have a question
[03:18:53] <Medix|Sanitarium> Is it possible to have > 1 alliances represented in a team
[03:19:54] <Medix|Sanitarium> micros <<

The short answer is no. From past experience, 'coalition' teams suffer from a lack of identity and organisation, which in turn means their members are less likely to get involved and get active. Everyone has more fun when there's some good natured banter and ribbing between the teams.

The exception to this rule is a team representing a bloc. In fact, the only accepted team so far - O'Samurai Utd - is representing the Checkmate bloc, when in past tournaments they were representing the Ronin and OSA alliances alone. I know there are also plans for an ODN-less C&G team. Bloc treaties tend to have their own image and identity which is far more suitable for this tournament than individually treatied allies.

[quote name='kamichi' timestamp='1288522801' post='2497930']
The short answer is no.
[/quote]

But I wanted to be a Free Agent in a Mercenary Market and sell my amazing right midfield skills to a deserving team for $3M/match played with a $3M/goal bonus (suitable discounts if bought by a team I like)! This charade is a disgraceful stomping of my rights as a Alliance Reject and I am thinking of hiring RV as my legal counsel.

[quote name='kamichi' timestamp='1288522801' post='2497930']
Addressing a question asked on IRC while I was asleep:

[03:17:42] <Medix|Sanitarium> hey I have a question
[03:18:53] <Medix|Sanitarium> Is it possible to have > 1 alliances represented in a team
[03:19:54] <Medix|Sanitarium> micros <<

The short answer is no. From past experience, 'coalition' teams suffer from a lack of identity and organisation, which in turn means their members are less likely to get involved and get active. Everyone has more fun when there's some good natured banter and ribbing between the teams.

The exception to this rule is a team representing a bloc. In fact, the only accepted team so far - O'Samurai Utd - is representing the Checkmate bloc, when in past tournaments they were representing the Ronin and OSA alliances alone. I know there are also plans for an ODN-less C&G team. Bloc treaties tend to have their own image and identity which is far more suitable for this tournament than individually treatied allies.
[/quote]

Our fervor, when it comes to these competitions, has been matched by no other.