The Third Court

Sargun II

I think 100% coverage can in fact be achieved. My [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=62859&view=findpost&p=2539454"]National Communications Database[/url] RP basically works around the same premise. The system which can be used to monitor all the comms can also be used to block all the comms.

All internet goes through a few Tier I ISPs and between them through a network of undersea communication cables. It can be blocked with ease. Same case with the telephone networks and mobile phone comms which basically communicates with terrestrial towers and satellites whose downlink can be controlled by the govt. Radio is more difficult to limit, but it could always be shut down. As regards television alerts as is indicated in this RP, show the telecast afdter the international comms are blocked and it would not leak out at all.

The only loophole out of this is if a person uses a satellite phone or direct satellite internet. Again commercial satellites providing these services could be jammed for the duration they are over the territory of the nation by the govt and any military comms would anyway require a spy roll.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem here is gossip. I mean come on, does the empire have no trade with anyone? If they did: Man tells friend, friend tells friend, friend tells man who works in traveling businesse, travelling businessman tells citizens of other countries.

It's really simple.

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1295247128' post='2578407']
The only problem here is gossip. I mean come on, does the empire have no trade with anyone? If they did: Man tells friend, friend tells friend, friend tells man who works in traveling businesse, travelling businessman tells citizens of other countries.

It's really simple.
[/quote]

Again internal gossip, does need communication channels to go out to other nations. In an emergency I am assuming that he placed travel restrictions as well so how would anyone travel to spread the news around? If the emergency is dire enough to cause mass evacuation you can bet that all international travel would be blocked too. After all much easier to block air/land/sea travel.

So, did he RP this? Nope, he RP'd nothing like this. And honestly, this is the kind of stuff that needs RPing to work. You can't go "b-but i shut everything down" without RPing it. That's like saying you have nuclear waepons without constructing them. Unfair and stupid.

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1295247423' post='2578411']
So, did he RP this? Nope, he RP'd nothing like this. And honestly, this is the kind of stuff that needs RPing to work. You can't go "b-but i shut everything down" without RPing it. That's like saying you have nuclear waepons without constructing them. Unfair and stupid.
[/quote]

Actually I do remember Pravus RPing the absolute media/comms control by his MediaCorp. He did that around the time of the first Cup of Nations if I am not mistaken. I do not have the links offhand.

I remember because I tried to get telephonic and chat interviews with my team players without paying royalty to MediaCorp, :D

Edited by king of cochin

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1295247020' post='2578406']
The only loophole out of this is if a person uses a satellite phone or direct satellite internet.
[/quote]
What if the message is delivered by hand? You can mail a letter, or put it in a condom and swallow it, or simply run up to the border and scream it at someone.

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1295247598' post='2578413']
Actually I do remember Pravus RPing the absolute media/comms control by his MediaCorp. He did that around the time of the first Cup of Nations if I am not mistaken. I do not have the links offhand.

I remember because I tried to get telephonic and chat interviews with my team players without paying royalty to MediaCorp, :D
[/quote]
I was talking about shutting down all borders.

Allow me to kill the argument about Fizzy's nukes: How the !@#$@#$ hell did the subs know of the evacuation if they were underwater, in silent mode, and with no communication with the outside world? Even if Pravus Ingruo did do a world-wide public broadcast, I can barely believe it if the subs were able to get the message when it goes against basic protocols to not be collecting transmissions when one is supposed to be still.

Therefore, Fizzydog could not have changed the targets.

@ Mael's argument about using improvements: This is CN[b]RP[/b]. I'm not going to let pure numbers which can be manipulated easily to calculate damages. Sorry, but seems like I'll keep with my numbers unless you bring up more RP-related arguments.

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1295248869' post='2578438']
I wasn't underwater when the announcement was made. In fact, Labrador was still a nation.
[/quote]

I'm ruling against you, period. End of discussion. Whining about it will not change anything, nor will spamming up this thread with "but I don't like 100% cry" posts. Get out. If you want to make a mature, rational response, be my guest. Until then, shut the $%&@ up and get the $%&@ out.

While Sargun put the final nail in the coffin, I'll say this: Your subs were beginning to surface when you suddenly changed the coordinates. There is no possible way except going against every single protocal on maintaining silence would the subs have been able to get the news. Therefore, metagaming.

As much as I would like to see mass destruction, I would not agree with metagaming. This isn't as if the other player had been mistaken about geography, making things messed up.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1295231542' post='2578075']
My post has been editted to allow 28 hypersonic missiles and 4 cruise missiles to pass.

Finally, I've retcon this post: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=96761&view=findpost&p=2575963

I've originally written Triest because previous maps had the city as part of Germany (not sure when the city became part of Athens). I've also RPed Martenshaven as Triest in a post, which Martens accepted at the time: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=78142&view=findpost&p=2456472

Given mutual geographical misunderstanding between Martens and myself, I hope the retcon can be accepted. Thank you.
[/quote]

Considering it's an easy mistake to make I have no objections to the retcon.

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' timestamp='1295273835' post='2578598']
Three rolls for his original targets then, please. First two for NYC, last one for DC (order is that only because that is how he originally posted). I'll post up RP/damages when I get home from work if the rolls have been done by then.
[/quote]
37, 46, 62. DC one barely makes it in.

Edited by Sargun

I don't know why Vivi didn't just let me say it myself, but I am no longer a GM. Thank God, the second time was worse than the first. I'll keep the thread updated unless the new guys feel like they need to make their own, in which case I won't care.

Edited by Sargun

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1295302807' post='2578917']
I don't know why Vivi didn't just let me say it myself, but I am no longer a GM. Thank God, the second time was worse than the first. I'll keep the thread updated unless the new guys feel like they need to make their own, in which case I won't care.
[/quote]
I didn't "let you say it for yourself" because you didn't leave on your own, you were removed. Any questions you have on that can be asked in the PM conversation that is already going, it doesn't belong here.

There is no reason for anyone to respond to this post or the one I've quoted. This thread is not for that.