"For the Love of God, Think of the Children!"

Sturm Soldat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='agafaba' timestamp='1282432369' post='2426063']
That seems about right, everyone offs themselves and common sense reigns supreme.
[/quote]

As a member of an alliance who follows a warrior code you of all people should understand "honor".

Anyway, the current climate for the use of nuclear weapons has several reasons.

For starters, the opposing sides have never this uneven. The underdog has no choice when facing 3-1 or worse odds.

Second, attitudes have changed from simply subduing an opponent to crippling them long term or destroying them. Nuclear weapons are an economic weapon/ecological weapon as well. Land is destroyed in amounts which cost a great deal to reacquire after the war. In conventional war you could actually gain land/tech when fighting multiple opponents.Nuclear weapons destroyed that last minor advantage of war.

Last(that i can think of) : there are more nukes than ever before so as a result they will be used.

Personally i still prefer conventional warfare, when war comes it is far more rewarding to anarchy your opponent "old style" than by using the easy way out and nuke them.

I would like to take the time to discuss nuclear warfare as an independent leader. The opinions following are expressly on behalf of the nation of Sarin and do not necessarily reflect that of our alliance.

While we agree with the philosophy and ideology behind this treaty, the nation of Sarin does not believe this stance to be in the benefit of our people. Should a conflict lead to nuclear war, we will use any Nuclear Ballistic Missiles at our disposal if we so possess them. This is due, in part, to the 'Global Radiation Level' cap of 5.00. Should the aforementioned cap be abolished, or raised to a level higher then 10.00, then we may consider signing this treaty. Until that day comes, we the people of Sarin must politely decline.

However, off the record, I wish you luck in gathering signatories.

Best wishes,

Ciroton, Leader of Sarin.

[quote name='Lukapaka' timestamp='1282440059' post='2426141']
Sorry, mate. This goes against our charter. Nukes are not simply a deterrent of war, for Sparta, but simply another weapon for us to stockpile and unleash upon those who oppose us.
[/quote]

Sparta prefers the use of nuclear weaponry as they have no regard for anything but petty amusement. Were it not for Sparta's consistent luck and backstabbing, they would have been destroyed years ago.

However, I digress.

Ciroton, I would like to point to you that this treaty did indeed once exist, and that Sturm Soldat merely calls for it to resurface amongst those alliances in power.

[quote name='Necromancer V4L' timestamp='1282440807' post='2426152']Ciroton, I would like to point to you that this treaty did indeed once exist, and that Sturm Soldat merely calls for it to resurface amongst those alliances in power.
[/quote]

I am quite aware of the prior existence of this treaty. Sarin is not the first nation under my command. Halfway through Planet Bob's first year of existence, I first took control of a nation by the name of 'Mistalin' under the name of 'Lord Nira.' However, after the nation was subjected to a ZI policy due to it's part in a war (whichever one disbanded the NAAC, I forget which). Therefore, I had to resign from office due to health issues, namely stress. [OoC:] I got frustrated and quit. =P[/OoC]

[quote name='Necromancer V4L' timestamp='1282440807' post='2426152']
Sparta prefers the use of nuclear weaponry as they have no regard for anything but petty amusement. Were it not for Sparta's consistent luck and backstabbing, they would have been destroyed years ago.
[/quote]

We prefer the use of nuclear weapons because we recognize their capabilities in war, and because we have so many :)

I don't quite see how your second comment relates to this topic whatsoever, but we give much regard for a lot of things (our internal growth, the education of our members, maintaining good relationships with all our current allies, etc). Just cause we aren't comprised of insane conspirators who aim to shape the world of Bob doesn't make us complacent. You just sit in a dark room and repeat things you read.

"Consistent luck" isn't luck, but success.

[quote name='Andre27' timestamp='1282433808' post='2426076']
As a member of an alliance who follows a warrior code you of all people should understand "honor".
[/quote]
We live in a dangerous place, where the most dangerous thing you can find is someone claiming to be honorable. Watch carefully, the truth remains that honor will only reign supreme when humanity has been washed from the earth, until that time it remains a pearl buried in the sands.

Edited by agafaba

[quote name='Necromancer V4L' timestamp='1282415330' post='2425830']
Nuclear weaponry should be a deterrent. You all wonder why war occurs less often, and why the periods of peace are so long, and yet you launch nuclear weapons at will, completely destroying your lands and those of your enemies, causing rebuild time to grow and crippling your nation and alliance indefinitely.

However, I do not expect those such as yourselves to understand. Only when civilization and honor returns to the land can common sense rise once again.
[/quote]
You fail. Nukes win.

As does this man:

[quote] I thought about the children. Then I blew them up. [/quote]

[quote name='Sturm Soldat' timestamp='1282158219' post='2421844']
Nuclear weapons are meant to be a deterrent [i]for [/i]war, not the primary weapon [i]of [/i]war.
[/quote]
Says who? The best deterrent to war is the super reps that SG & co deemed acceptable from the time of the karma war onwards. If you fight me or our alliance you eat nukes, I dont care if its only a raid.Its only the big alliances and a few lame small alliances that dont want to use nooks because they love their sanction spot or infra.

[quote name='EEjack' timestamp='1282482052' post='2426578']
I used to feel this way, that nukes were to be saved for a rainy day

Now I am of the opinion that nuking early and often is the only way to fight. All the other mechanisms are warmup or icing on the nuke attack.
[/quote]

It's sickening. I agree with that sentiment but I believe that things should change. The reckless nuclear policy of today was not always as such, there used to be a sense of honor when it came to using them. What confuses me though is the fact that the consequences of nuclear attacks have been relatively unchanged since the reckless policies of nuking have taken a hold of so many alliances, global radiation has been capped at 5.00 since Nov. 11th 2007, and in some respects nuclear weapons cause more damage now than they did before the convention. (Especially with the WRC). I understand their significance in small alliance warfare, but large alliances using them in cakewalk wars is just unacceptable.

For a new nation, that 5 environmental damage is -5 happiness and -$10 to citizen income. Right now the radiation is at 5.48. Why? Why are there bombs going off right now in a period of relative peace? Wars consist of nukes going off for 5 minutes, ruining the game for new nations for weeks on end, and then picking up the pieces for 6 months or more.

[quote name='Sturm Soldat' timestamp='1282636553' post='2429241']
It's sickening. I agree with that sentiment but I believe that things should change. The reckless nuclear policy of today was not always as such, there used to be a sense of honor when it came to using them. What confuses me though is the fact that the consequences of nuclear attacks have been relatively unchanged since the reckless policies of nuking have taken a hold of so many alliances, global radiation has been capped at 5.00 since Nov. 11th 2007, and in some respects nuclear weapons cause more damage now than they did before the convention. (Especially with the WRC). I understand their significance in small alliance warfare, but large alliances using them in cakewalk wars is just unacceptable.

For a new nation, that 5 environmental damage is -5 happiness and -$10 to citizen income. Right now the radiation is at 5.48. Why? Why are there bombs going off right now in a period of relative peace? Wars consist of nukes going off for 5 minutes, ruining the game for new nations for weeks on end, and then picking up the pieces for 6 months or more.
[/quote]

Dude, it's like the weather. Some days it rains.

[quote name='Sturm Soldat' timestamp='1282636553' post='2429241']

[/quote]

It's a hard knock life for us.

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' timestamp='1282452291' post='2426352']
Nations should agree not to nuke nations unable to respond in kind. I call this the Emperor Tiberius Convention.
[/quote]
Where do I sign up?
Actually... Nations should agree to only nuke nations unable to respond in kind.

Edited by hertugen