The U.S. Senate. Tahoe proposal.

Maelstrom Vortex

VP Johnson spoke to the senate, "The following Bill has been presented for our consideration by the Exiled Tahoe Republic. Article S.2001.02 has come to the floor for your review."

[quote]
Resolution: Elections in the former Tahoan Republic

Whereas there is much international questioning over the status of the states of California, Colorado, Arizona, Utah and Nevada that were formerly a part of the Tahoe Republic and were admitted to the United States under the control of Nico Crooks.

Whereas a peaceful resolution to this question is manifestly necessary for the survival and continued unity of the United States of America

The Congress of the United States of America calls for and authorizes elections to be held immediately in the states of California, Colorado, Arizona, Utah and Nevada.

Therefore, the Congress of the United States of America will ask the people of California, Colorado, Arizona, Utah and Nevada the question of which party they wish to represent them in Congress, permitting and authorizing a Tahoan Nationalist Party to take place in said election. The Congress of the United States will recognize the results of said election.
[/quote]

"At this point, the resolution is available to be amended, revised, or other wised question. debating may begin now."

ooc: Each member has one senator per state under their control when a vote is called. Let your voices be heard.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senator Richard Colon (D) New Jersey supports this proposal. Allow the people of those states affected by this crisis to decide their own outcome in a democratic election. The due process of law demands it. Remove the word "Tahoe" from the language of the bill. There is no such country called Tahoe. It never existed and never will.

Edited by Gunther

Senator Charles Smith from Pennsylvania asks to take the floor and begins his speech after being given permission.

"My fellow Americans before us we see an offer given to us by this so called exiled Tahoe nation asking for a vote in which they have no right in asking for".

"These ex-Tahoean citizens now live in our fine and wonderous country through choice not force. The only reason I can see for the exiled Tahoeans to call for a vote is so that they can influence our nation's politics to suit their needs".

"I implore you my fellow Americans to think of all Americans not matter their orginal orgin first before some foreign government that fled its homeland and left its people to die".

"The state of Pennsylvania opposses this proposal"

Edited by Kevin Kingswell

"Mr. Smith..." Read, the 83 year old Delawarean began and then sighed heavily as he stood to take the floor, "Why are you opposed to the only solution that will prevent war with the Tahoean State, Does Pennsylvania have much to gain from the destruction of her people and the United State's People in a costly pointless war, Why do you support the death of our nation." Read collapsed down into his chair, the effort to speak costing him a great deal.

Senator Graham from Kentucky spoke up, "Sometimes war is a necessity to protect the people. Freedom does not come free." Said the ex-vet of the Kentucky Liberation conflict. "There is nothing that indicates that if we stood up for the people of the South West that we would necessarily lose the conflict. In fact, Tahoe has put itself in jeopardy with provocative actions and made the world know of its hostile intents despite amicable attempts at diplomacy. Personally, I want to hear what the senators of the South West have to say on this issue. My mind is as yet to be made up on this matter."

"The people of the Southwest states already held votes for this express purpose. The joining and subsequent annexation to and by the United States was won with a clear majority over the opposing votes. If we vote for Senators or Presidents, should we hold another simply because somebody claims, without any proof, that the election was fraudulent? The answer to that is simply no.

"Let me repeat again: [b]we already had a democratic vote. The people voted for annexation by the United States.[/b] Anybody, including the apparently misinformed Senator Colon, who believes that the people did not have due process of law at any point during this is completely mistaken."

Senator Callahan, D-California, stood next to the speaker, a Senator Michaels, also D-California.

"This is the United States Senate. This is not the Tahoe Republic Senate. This is not the United States of China Senate. Think about that."

Edited by Sargun

Senator Michaels smiled as Senator Callahan stepped down.

"I believe that one of the terms under which the South Tahoan states were granted to join the United States was that our laws would be kept the same. Unless I am mistaken, that means that our ban on First Republic signs, parties, slogans, etc., is still law in all of the Southwest States. This resolution would violate not only our state laws but also the very petition that we signed to become part of this great nation."

OOC: If this is wrong, then I must be thinking of something else

After resting for a moment to catch his breath Senator Read again rose to speak I wish to speak to-day, not as a Delaware man, nor as a Northern man, but as an American, and a member of the Senate of the United States. I shall stand by the Union...with absolute disregard of personal consequences. What are personal consequences...in comparison with the good or evil which may befall a great country in a crisis like this?...Let the consequences be what they will.... No man can suffer too much, and no man can fall too soon, if he suffer or if he fall in defense of the liberties and constitution of his country.

Virginia senator, Kayla Hendrix rose and spoke, "As a Union founded by the people so should all proceedings of it continue as such. If it is the will of the people that is up for question, we amongst the people will always support their will. Let the elections go forth or so jeopardize all of our liberties & smash the fondations that we have laid."

Edited by Bull Run

Senator Graham, a outspoken member of moderate American First party members observed, "The Senator from the South West has a good point, we have accepted laws regarding the display of old Tahoan paraphernalia and political affiliation in the South West U.S. It may not be viable for us to allow the old Tahoan Republic Party to participate, simply because of these limitations unless they chose new symbolism to utilize. The old symbols mark an era of oppression and human rights abuses in these regions which we do not want repeated and the symbolism of that government would hearken back to that time."

"The Virginian senator thinks we should hold a vote again for the People when they have already held one due to international pressure. Does he think this is truly wise? I understand representing the people. We all want our voices heard and properly represented, but how many promptings must we undergo by international concerns before an election is seen as legitimate?"

OOC: Retcon the following if there is no court system.

IC: Senator John Cornyn IV took the floor. "At this time, I ask the Supreme Court to review the following laws of certain states of Circuits 9 and 10 on the point that they are in violation of the First Amendment:

[quote]1. Any and all Flags of the First Republic of Tahoe are to be banned and burned.
1a. Any persons found willingly violating this portion of the document are to be charged with Obscenities of History.

2. Any and all Symbols of the First Republic of Tahoe are to be banned and destroyed in any way possible.
2a. Any persons found willingly violating this portion of the document are to be charged with Obscenities of History.

3. Any and all Speeches, Motifs, Themes, and Suggestions affiliated with the First Republic of Tahoe are to be banned and stifled in any way possible.
3a. Any persons found willingly violating this portion of the document are to be charged with Obscenities of History.[/quote]

Edited by KingChris

"Senator Michaels (or Callahan), the laws that your state refers to in an attempt to strike down this resolution may be unconstitutional, in which case your argument is nullified. Therefore, seeing that the voting pattern in this chamber has a likely chance of being affected by such a Supreme Court decision, I request that the Senate allows the Supreme Court to form a holding on this case before it proceeds."