Best/worst resources

Yuri Armstrong

I know that all resources serve some purpose, and there's no definitive "best" resource. But what I'm wondering is if I should wait 5 days and create a new nation, hopefully getting better resources than spices and coal? Also, it seems that some resources are needed in just about every trade circle, while others are maybe only used in one or two types of trade circles.

Best: anything in the construction BR set (aluminum, marble, iron, lumber), fish, and wheat. water, cattle, and uranium arent that bad either.

Worst: furs and wine. they aren't used for any BR's other than affluent population which is a terrible BR to trade for.

EDIT:
i would reroll for better resources if you dont mind waiting. coal and spices arent terrible, but they are of two different BR sets that most people go for. coal goes for automobiles, spices goes for fast food. yeah you can get both, but then you can only get one resource spot left for either water, fish, or wheat. then when you get larger and you want uranium for nukes, you wont be able to get any of those three resources.

Edited by NoLaurelTree000

Right now I've got coal and spices. I've been looking and I don't see any trade circles that combine these two, much less one on my team. Should I just delete and recreate in hopes of better resources? Is the chance of getting a good resource such as Wheat the same as getting a bad resource like Furs?

[quote name='NoLaurelTree000' date='13 July 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1279063657' post='2369788']
Best: anything in the construction BR set (aluminum, marble, iron, lumber), fish, and wheat. water, cattle, and uranium arent that bad either.

Worst: furs and wine. they aren't used for any BR's other than affluent population which is a terrible BR to trade for.

EDIT:
i would reroll for better resources if you dont mind waiting. coal and spices arent terrible, but they are of two different BR sets that most people go for. coal goes for automobiles, spices goes for fast food. yeah you can get both, but then you can only get one resource spot left for either water, fish, or wheat. then when you get larger and you want uranium for nukes, you wont be able to get any of those three resources.
[/quote]

Yuri, he posted what you should do :P

[quote name='NoLaurelTree000' date='13 July 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1279063657' post='2369788']

EDIT:
[/quote]

Furs and wine is hardly the worst trade combination.

His current set is much worse because it doesn't really fit into any trade sets at all. It DEFINITELY is a good idea to try for something better.

I think most people agrees that the resources that gives you an population bonus is the best resources, these resources effectively gives you two benefits, first the normal benefit and then the increased population. The increased population means you can build improvements faster and get more tax collections in addition to the normal resource bonus.

Another way to go would be to aim to get the "dirty" resources as native resources, that way the resources does not count towards your pollution levels unlike the dirty resources that you import.

Spices and Coal are used in my trade set (FF/FJ/AP+wheat), which is [u]the[/u] best tax collection set. However, it's not a very useful trade set for young nations, since it doesn't provide any infrastructure discounts. What I would suggest is going for a 3BR set with Coal as a filler, which is actually pretty good since Coal has an infrastructure discount plus it gives you Steel, which does as well.

I don't recommend rerolling, your resources are actually pretty decent.

The worst resource is without question Lead: it is the only resource that doesn't give any economic bonuses at all.

The best resources at Fish, Wheat, Lumber and Aluminum. Roll any two of those and you're set for life.

[quote name='Lord Xnut' date='15 July 2010 - 05:42 AM' timestamp='1279194144' post='2372705']Another way to go would be to aim to get the "dirty" resources as native resources, that way the resources does not count towards your pollution levels unlike the dirty resources that you import.
[/quote]

/me realizes my uranium is even better than I thought :)

[quote name='NoLaurelTree000' date='13 July 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1279063657' post='2369788']
[/quote]
Furs/Wine are used in FJ/AP/Steel which gives the best population boost (while even allowing for uranium) if done right.

[quote name='Jinnai' date='18 July 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1279509296' post='2378236']
Furs/Wine are used in FJ/AP/Steel which gives the best population boost (while even allowing for uranium) if done right.
[/quote]

You can't have the best population boost [i]and[/i] uranium [i]and[/i] steel. FJ/AP leaves 5 slots, but there are 4 other population boosters, plus you need a slot for iron (if you want steel) and another for uranium. Obviously you can trade swap, but if you're doing that you might as well switch iron for spices and then you get Fast Food.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='19 July 2010 - 01:54 AM' timestamp='1279518834' post='2378560']
You can't have the best population boost [i]and[/i] uranium [i]and[/i] steel. FJ/AP leaves 5 slots, but there are 4 other population boosters, plus you need a slot for iron (if you want steel) and another for uranium. Obviously you can trade swap, but if you're doing that you might as well switch iron for spices and then you get Fast Food.
[/quote]

Actually yes he can. He doesn't need all the other population boosters because AP gives 5%. So FJ/AP/Steel leaves four slots, one used by Uranium leaving the other 3 to be occupied by Wheat, Cattle and Pigs which along with the AP's 5% gives a population boost of 33.1% verses the 30.6% boost that the standard 3BR gives.

[quote name='Yuri Armstrong' date='19 July 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1279591222' post='2379697']
Isnt affluent population the worst BR though?
[/quote]

Depends on one's definition of worst. As shown above, properly constructed it can provide more population boost than a standard 3BR which with it's already high income means it's a cash cow. It's weakness is infrastructure modifiers.

[quote name='Captain Nathan Brittles' date='19 July 2010 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1279593187' post='2379745']
Actually yes he can. He doesn't need all the other population boosters because AP gives 5%. So FJ/AP/Steel leaves four slots, one used by Uranium leaving the other 3 to be occupied by Wheat, Cattle and Pigs which along with the AP's 5% gives a population boost of 33.1% verses the 30.6% boost that the standard 3BR gives.
[/quote]

But he won't have the [i]best[/i] population bonus. You would be missing Sugar from that set (3%), which isn't a huge deal but if you're going for best collection, it's a lot better than Iron/Steel which doesn't help at all.

[quote name='Captain Nathan Brittles' date='19 July 2010 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1279593650' post='2379756']
Depends on one's definition of worst. As shown above, properly constructed it can provide more population boost than a standard 3BR which with it's already high income means it's a cash cow. It's weakness is infrastructure modifiers.
[/quote]
Aye. However, the extra collection will generally make it worth it. If you need infra, well, you can always hop on IRC and beg for some infra reducing trades.

:P

That is, as long as you have partners willing to put up with drops every once in a while.

[quote name='Yuri Armstrong' date='19 July 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1279591222' post='2379697']
Isnt affluent population the worst BR though?
[/quote]
Not necessarily. It used to be terrible, but it was tweaked a while ago. I wouldn't [i]aim[/i] for it, but if you've got the resources and don't want to reroll, it isn't half bad. It does rather limit options for the future though, if you want to switch to a set oriented towards, say, military or infra bonuses. My suggestion would be whatever gets you the most in population bonus, bill reduction, and infra buying, in that order. Toy around in the in-game trade calculator and try to find something that satifies that with the resources you have,. If you can't find anything you like, reroll and try again with the same method.