Ramirus: Scourge of the Grämlins

Schattenmann

[center][IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff246/cndump/ramirus.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff246/cndump/Lugosi/cojscreen.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Good evening, and thank you for joining me tonight for [u]Ramirus: Scourge of the Grämlins[/u]. For nearly 6 months now, Ramirus has been the public face of Grämlins in their front of the TOP-C&G War, and his personality and policies have been the source of confusion, anger, butthurt, and even amusement in some quarters. Tonight, I sit down with Ramirus and clear some things up for myself, and hopefully for you.

[b]A lot has been said and argued about Gramlin's codex on the forums and in some blogs as to how it should be interpreted. Those who have chimed in has included some original signatories and otherwise notable members. The manner with which your administration has read it differs from what has been the norm even within your own organization so how have you come to your present interpretation?[/b]
Well the thing is; the "norm" is foreign. Those who wrote our Codex were shady realpolitikers who used it like they used their reputations: to convince the majority of rulers that they were good and just, moral and righteous. They weren't and our history up until just before Karma is pretty clear about that. We'd rather actually fulfill the precepts of our Preamble and Codex, than merely pay it lip service for political gain. How we got to that point is basically a function of the continued inactivity of the old-schoolers combined with some new people actually doing the work the inactive folks didn't want to. The new people (like myself, although I've been a Grämlin for 2.5 years) were consistently irritated by the disconnect between what the Grämlins claimed to be, and what we really were so as the old people left to play in other worlds, and we did most of the work running the place by default, we started to actually try to live up to the principles that we formerly only pretended to. Karma was the beginning of that. A good example from Karma is the myth that we broke the Lüx Aeterna. We did not, because despite the use of a so-called "optional aggression clause" for our "CB" to enter the war, our purpose was defense of our friends, and thus the OTP clause of the Lüx Aeterna was untouched. This is an example of our Friends > Paper philosophy, and of our commitment to fulfilling one of the few things Syzygy said that I agree with: "It's a game, there is therefore no reason to NOT do what's right". Given his actions, I doubt he ever really meant it...but we do.

[b]It's been rumored that a new charter or codex is presently under development. How are they changing? Which has weighed more heavily in your decisions when making them, the pending new documents or the existing ones?[/b]
Most of the changes are functional, such as ranks, voting, etc. The only policy changes reflect our paperless foreign policy.

[b]Do you think Gremlins has lost its identity in a post-Continuum and post-Karma world? Which event has had a greater impact on Gremlins in the last year, Karma or the current war?[/b]
Lost our identity? We've FOUND it! If Karma was our rebirth, this war may be either our graduation or our death, depending on the outcome.

[b]What is your reply to people who insist that you have turned Gremlins into gRAMlins? Hypothetically, if Gremlins has been spoiled, does responsibility lay with personalities like you, or with the abandoners?[/b]
I'd say they haven't seen me rant and rave when I get outvoted by the other 2 Conclave, or worse: when I can't FIND the other Conclave to get an official vote, lol. I disagree that Grämlins has been spoiled. I think we've been rescued.

[b]Did Gremlins confront R&R about its attempts to hide IRON nations by allowing them to ghost R&R in large numbers? If so, how'd that go? Did Gremlins attack IRON nations who were ghosting R&R?[/b]
I'm not familiar with SF's internal policies, but I believe RnR declared some ghosts and others simply left. We didn't confront them about it, no. I heard Jim kicked some IRON $@! though.

[b]If you could punch one ruler in the face and scream "GREMLINS!" at him, who would it be?[/b]
I don't know why I would do such a thing, but I get the intent. I guess maybe Doitzel, because he likes Peter Pan Peanut Butter, and doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me.

[b]What difficulties has Gremlins' treaty-free stance presented? What about opportunities?[/b]
Well sometimes people say things like "DUR U CAN'T ATTACK IRON NO TREATY!" or "HUR U STILL HAVE MHA TREATY NOT PAPERLESS!" but that's more amusing than difficult. As for opportunities, we've gotten close with some alliances that we otherwise probably wouldn't have, we've gotten to laugh at people who think diplomacy means a boob thread in an embassy. I dunno, it just makes things more fun. Everyone should do it, it'd be a riot!

[b]It's my understanding that you did not win the popular vote, but that Archon votes carried you into another term. Why is Gremlins allowing MK to vote in its elections? hurfdurf At what point will you consider your tenure to have run its course--are you continuing to run for office so you can continue to pursue goals?[/b]
I lost the popular vote by 1, yes. So you could say that the Templar vote carried me too. Or you could just say that I won. As for future terms, I dunno, it depends on how lazy I get.

[b]For years a huge part of Gremlins' identity has been their massive NS, can Gremlins win this war and keep that part of itself?[/b]
That's only part of our identity if you're a realpolitiker who bases self-perception on extant reach of power. It's good to have, to protect our identity, but it isn't inherent to us.

At this point, Ramirus--looking a little annoyed--asked us to turn off the cameras for a moment, which we did. To my chagrin, he admonished your dear host for using kid gloves. I explained that while it was a treat to have been asked, he [i]had[/i] pulled me out of a substantial retirement. So, I tried to begin anew.

[center][IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff246/cndump/Lugosi/blackcat1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[b]Could you give me a rundown of your own philosophy when it comes to Foreign Affairs, what is the direction your leadership aims to take the Grämlins?[/b]
In general, I believe that Foreign Affairs should be about more than boob threads in embassies. It should be more than open question and answer threads where one or two diplomats field questions from an entire alliance. There should be more geo-politics. That means closed-door Machiavellian diplomacy. Actual negotiation (as opposed to the "no u" wars that suffice for most Digiterran mouthbreathers). Political intrigue, subterfuge, manipulation. You know, fun stuff like that. For the four years of Digiterra's existance, it's been nothing but a stagnant cycle of looking up treaty webs on CNWiki and trolling on the OWF. I realize that most alliance governments are children with underdeveloped minds, meager worldviews, very little actual experience in politics, trade, high-level business, or international relations. However, Digiterra has the capability of robust flavor. Part of the reason it hasn't developed this is because Digiterra itself is quite dull and pointless. If Admin were to implement some of the more complex and esoteric functions of alliance politics into the Digiterra itself, as well as put a lot more if-then-else choice into nation building, the meta-game would progress as well, I believe. Still, there could be a lot more done with what we already have, if only people would grow up and bit and try it.

[b]Essentially all of the allies you initially fought the war with have now made peace with IRON, why is it that the Grämlins have opted to continue?[/b]
Because, as you can check for yourself, there is no mention of the war beyond a military abstract made in the Easter Sunday Accords. There is nothing that shows IRON/TOP/etc did anything "wrong", and indeed they still claim innocence. Their only mistake, in their view, is losing the war. Military losses aside, this wasn't acceptable to the Grämlins. Currently, the ESA is essentially nothing more than a bribe to stop the beating. Our entry into the war was in defense of MK, primarily. Our intention was to make sure their attackers were dealt with. The ESA doesn't accomplish that in any way, not even just a little bit. The idea that tech reps implies admission of guilt is objectionable to anyone with a sense of common decency. Of course, it's also true that in the original publication of the ESA, having just a line in there where IRON/TOP/etc said: "Hurhur, we're sorry" would be meaningless as well, since the smooth-brained Digiterran community skips right over details like that, eyes hungrily searching for the tech rep numbers. Because that's all anyone gives a !@#$ about is reps. If the only reason you go to war is so you can greedily suck down some tech reps that you extorted off the losers of the war, then you're no better than they are.

We are seeking an amendment to make the ESA work as a statement of principle, rather than merely a bill-of-sale. So far, all of C&G as well as MHA, FOK, STA, NpO, Umbrella, BACoN, DF, IAA, Nemesis, Ronin, Sparta, and tR have all given their official support of our amendment. That's almost everyone who originally signed the ESA. The rest are either deliberating, or haven't been asked yet. I'd say that's a fair indicator of world opinion.

[b]How has the current state of the war itself effected your views and the view of the Grämlins membership with respect to your traditional and historic allies. Is there much resentment or any at all?[/b]
Well they are the ones that took the bribe, but they were pretty beat up themselves, so getting out right then was a realpolitik decision, done pragmatically to maximize the amount of the bribe. I don't condone it from a moral point of view, but they're my friends so I give them more leeway than I do IRON/TOP/etc. You see, it's not about moral absolutes (as has been argued on the OWF), it's about our friends -vs- not our friends. We're not the world police; if IRON wants to go attack someone for no reason, hey...knock yourselves out. Just quit attacking the Grämlins' friends, okay? As I told Polar when they attacked \m/: "I don't see anything wrong with what \m/ did, but I don't see anything wrong with you attacking them for it either. Politics is a game after all." Now, if \m/ had been an ally of the Grämlins, it would be a different issue.

[b]In your view what it is you hope to get out of this war? Is the ultimate goal a material victory over IRON, or are you instead trying to make a point?[/b]
Material victory over IRON, meaning reps? No, we're not seeking reps. We're seeking an explanation of why the war was fought, an assignment of blame, and an apology from those held responsible. People seem to think we've been out for IRON's blood this whole time, and that unconditional surrender is "the worst thing anyone could do to anyone else!". Neither is true, but that hasn't stopped all the common thought: "Hurhur, Gre has lost a bunch of nations and taken a PR hit and is hated!". Now that's certainly true, although irrelevant to the issue. It's a straw argument, and therefore says nothing about the fact that IRON absolutely, positively would've been far far far better off had they surrendered a week before Easter. That said, I'm not crying any tears for them. Most of our allies have privately congratulated us for keeping them all beat up and in shambles. That wasn't and isn't our goal, but it's no skin off my back.

[b]Finally what is your honest outlook for the future of the Grämlins? To those who hold harbor a bleak perspective, what would you say to them?[/b]
Honestly I don't think it looks too good. Most people would rather see IRON establish the precedent that attacking people with no reason is fine as long as you win. It's ironic that the people championing them are the same people that usually raise such a ruckus about CBs. Good job you guys; you're well on your way to getting rid of CBs altogether.

When I was approached about this interview, I was less than enthusiastic; I've largely left journalism behind. But as Ramirus left the studio I found myself bemused. Who is Ramirus, really? Certainly he is among the most confident men I've ever encountered. Self-assured, convinced of his cause. Is he right? That remains to be seen. Is he right for Grämlins? Despite the OWF din--such as ChairmanHal's Grämlins Deathwatch--he remains in power in a democracy. In a word, he is intriguing. And we can all use a little intrigue.

I'm Schattenmann, and on this, the 152nd day of the TOP-C&G War, I wish you goodnight, and good luck.

Edited by Schattenmann

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly approve of his stance on some issues raised, things would be a lot better with more people like him and less people rolling out the clichéd party lines and abiding to the mainstream and archaic standard of how the politics work and how everyone has to behave, which makes for a less than enthralling cycle of the same meaningless bunk over and over.

Edited by Warzors

[quote]A good example from Karma is the myth that we broke the Lüx Aeterna. We did not, because despite the use of a so-called "optional aggression clause" for our "CB" to enter the war, our purpose was defense of our friends, and thus the OTP clause of the Lüx Aeterna was untouched[/quote]
Had to stop here, s'not what old Bobby or Chill said during the war. So whos full of it? You or them

Edited by wickedj

[quote] There should be more geo-politics. [b]That means closed-door Machiavellian diplomacy. Actual negotiation (as opposed to the "no u" wars that suffice for most Digiterran mouthbreathers)[/b]. Political intrigue, subterfuge, manipulation. You know, fun stuff like that. For the four years of Digiterra's existance, it's been nothing but a stagnant cycle of looking up treaty webs on CNWiki and trolling on the OWF[/quote]

[quote]There is nothing that shows IRON/TOP/etc did anything "wrong", and indeed they still claim innocence. Their only mistake, in their view, is losing the war. Military losses aside, [b]this wasn't acceptable to the Grämlins.[/b] Currently, the ESA is essentially nothing more than a bribe to stop the beating. Our entry into the war was in defense of MK, primarily. Our intention was to make sure their attackers were dealt with. The ESA doesn't accomplish that in any way, not even just a little bit.[/quote]Make up your mind, dammit!

That being said, this was a highly informative article, and I am glad to have read it. Good job as always,[i] Herr Schatt.[/i]

Edited by Chron

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='29 June 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1277851554' post='2354457']
Most of our allies have privately congratulated us for keeping them all beat up and in shambles.
[/quote]

Definitely the best part of the interview.

[quote name='ty345' date='29 June 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1277852754' post='2354483']
By the way, tR never actually gave any support to Gramlins or their amendment.
[/quote]
Say it ain't so! Ram lying? Never.

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='30 June 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1277851554' post='2354457']
Quoting Ramirus Maximus: "A good example from Karma is the myth that we broke the Lüx Aeterna. We did not, because despite the use of a so-called "optional aggression clause" for our "CB" to enter the war, our purpose was defense of our friends, and thus the OTP clause of the Lüx Aeterna was untouched."[/quote]
This is a lie. No matter how many times you repeat the lie, it doesn't give it any more truth.

Edit: Clarified the quote.

Edited by Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz

[quote name='ty345' date='29 June 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1277852754' post='2354483']By the way, tR never actually gave any support to Gramlins or their amendment.[/quote]

<RamirusMaximus|GRE> Cool.
<Smitty> May the Bob be with you.
<RamirusMaximus|GRE> Just to clarify; I'm adding The Resistance to the list of alliances who support amending the ESA to include the above provisions.
<RamirusMaximus|GRE> K?
<Smitty> Anyway, yes, add us to the list.

[quote name='Bilrow' date='29 June 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1277853630' post='2354493']Ram lying? Never.[/quote]
Bilrow just said something truthful. How...original.

Edited by Ramirus Maximus

[quote name='King Louis the II' date='29 June 2010 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1277854371' post='2354503']
TLDR; whatever is written in the post (really I didn't read) doesn't change the fact that GRE lost respect, members, power and allies due to their last actions.

edit (spelling)
[/quote]
Callers are asked to please be ready with something to ADD to the conversation. -click-

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='29 June 2010 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1277854565' post='2354508']
Callers are asked to please be ready with something to ADD to the conversation. -click-
[/quote]
And on line 2 we have...
[img]http://www.murphsplace.com/owen/film/derailed/images/Larry-King-picture.jpg[/img]

[quote name='wickedj' date='29 June 2010 - 07:39 PM' timestamp='1277854757' post='2354512']
And on line 2 we have...
[img]http://www.murphsplace.com/owen/film/derailed/images/Larry-King-picture.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Guy's an amateur.

Edited by Schattenmann

[quote name='Ramirus Maximus' date='29 June 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1277851554' post='2354457']
Most of our allies have privately congratulated us for keeping them all beat up and in shambles. That wasn't and isn't our goal, but it's no skin off my back.[/quote]

[quote]Top 7 Day Smallest Nation Gains

1) -38,627 Strength Change - Ramirus Maximus of Anthraxia - Aqua Team [/quote]

The irony may kill me.

Edited by Matt Miller

[quote name='Ramirus Maximus' date='29 June 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1277854165' post='2354501']
<RamirusMaximus|GRE> Cool.
<Smitty> May the Bob be with you.
<RamirusMaximus|GRE> Just to clarify; I'm adding The Resistance to the list of alliances who support amending the ESA to include the above provisions.
<RamirusMaximus|GRE> K?
<Smitty> Anyway, yes, add us to the list.

[/quote]
[quote name='Aforementioned Provisions'] Whereas the undersigned alliances recognize that initiating a unwarranted global conflict by committing a blatant attack on another alliance without cause or provokation and with malice aforethought is such an action as to be considered abhorrant to internationally recognized standards of conduct and decency.

Whereas the collected nations of the alliances, TOP, IRON, TORN, FEAR, DAWN, TSO, [b]NSO, Carthage and TMF[/b] are considered guilty of a breach of the above standards. [/quote]

Strange that we weren't approached considering you had our names on the addition, ramirus. Seems like you were gonna need a bit more to have this go through than a basic agreement on the parts of the people already signed on to the ESA.

Not to mention the fact that the first part itself is has more or less irrelevant to how events actually occurred. And then insisting that we were in violation of said clause underscores a profound ignorance of what actually happened.

Edited by Chron

Interesting read. With an open mind for dialogue, why would you keep IRON at war and not declare on us? And why would you only contact our opponents if you want the surrender terms amended to include something?

Surrender terms are a contract. If they are amended, we must accept them again. We didn't [i]unconditionally[/i] surrender.