To Zargathia

Kankou

A coded message was sent to Harbin.

[quote]Greetings from your new southern neighbor.

We have something to discuss concerning southern Manchuria. Originally, Liaoning was part of the Korean Empire, which was transfered to a Chinese country with the understanding that should the country fall in any form, Liaoning should again come under Korea. However, for some reason, that had never happened.

As the successor to the Korean Empire, Koryo believes it has the most legitimate claim to Liaoning, where millions of Koreans still form a majority in the area. However, since it is true that Liaoning is very important to Zargathia, we have the following proposal:

For Koryo not pressing claims to Liaoning as long as Zargathia exists, we wish to have Ji'an City, Changbai Korean Autonomous County, Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture, Dongning County, and Suifenhe City, which would equal 57,529 square kilometers, 1/3 of the area of Liaoning. The Koreans in Liaoning shall be transported to the new Loryo territory, so lessen the dissent of our citizens.

In addition to this, a free trade agreement, and an agreement that should either Zargathia or Koryo fall, the other shall have automatic control over the other's territory, shall be agreed upon.

What is your thoughts on this?

Attachment

[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac318/kousenkankou/Maps/koryozargathialandtranser.png[/img]
Map of the proposed territory transfer
[/quote]

[quote]Dear Korea,

While we can understand the reasoning behind your request, Zargathia feels the need to point out that the arrangement had been made between United Korea and the Northeast People's Republic. Unfortunately, when the NPR had ended up [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=64771]firing nuclear missiles at itself[/url] control of the land was granted to the People's Republic of China, which has then held it for years (OOC: over one irl year). The regions of Daqing and Liaoning had been transferred to us as one of the last decrees of the PRC [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=86193&view=findpost&p=2308137]before it formed into the Articuno Islands[/url] so the right they had been granted by the then-Dragon Empire to control Liaoning, being part of the NPR, would override the terms of the treaty under which Liaoning had been ceded to the NPR.

In addition to this, Liaoning is an integral part of Inner Manchuria, and ceding part of this region relatively fast after its long awaited reunification is something we cannot do for both diplomatic and popular reasons. We are however not unsympathetic to your plight. Would there be a way for our nations to solve this without an exchange of land taking place?

Regards,

HRH Amyante Tojimaru
Queen of Zargathia.[/quote]

What the message didn't say was that the suggested alternative would include pratically all of Zargathia's ports and naval facilities as well as the main rail link to trade hub Urajiosutoku (Vladivostok). There was still such a thing as military secrets of course...

[quote]Reply

The transfer to the People's Republic of China was in itself an illegal act, for the Northeast People's Republic was not part of the Dragon Empire at the time. This meant that the annexation by the PRC of Liaoning was illegatimate. The only reason such a transfer happened in the first place was the negligance of the Korean Empire at the time, which was occupied by internal affairs which lead to its joining Rebel Army. In summary, from our view, you are an an occupying force, although as a friend of our friend, you are also supposed to be a friend of us.

Liaoning cannot be part of what you call Inner Manchuria, for it was a distinct region that was almost fully Korea despite the various happenings, especially compared to the re-Sinofied Manchuria under Zargathia. To say that things have been "reunified" is, from our view, propoganda. Geographical terms only have meaning in the context of nations when the entire region is unified under a single nation.

There is no other way for this issue to be solved except reclaiming Korean territory and people. As long as what is rightfully ours is under foreign occupation, even if it is under an ally, our people will forever have ill will towards that nation. We hope you understand our situation, and choose the right path.[/quote]

[quote]Dear Korea,

Though the NPR was only briefly connected to the Dragon Empire, and was not a member of it at the time of its dissolution, even the greatest critic must admit that Korea had had ample time to react to this development. Instead, not a single communique went out to the then-PRC regarding Liaoning.

In addition, if you would please look at this copy of the [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=70747&view=findpost&p=1898642]Rebel Army announcement concerning Korea[/url] when the Korean Empire [i]democratically[/i] handed control of it to Rebel Army, Rebel Army clearly states that Korea is admitted as a -- and i quote -- 'full province of Rebel Army'. From the moment that it was made official, Korea as a nation did no longer exist, thus negating any and all treaties that were connected to it... Including the one concerning Liaoning that you would be referring to. This is further confirmed by an [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=74430&view=findpost&p=2231772]extensive treaty[/url] that was signed between Zargathian and Rebel Army officials concerning Korea not much time after that.

Thus, we can only conclude that since the treaty has been voided, the PRC's unprotested annexation of the former NPR would no longer be considered illegal. Since Liaoning was given to us [i]after[/i] Korea had been absorbed into the Rebel Army, this transfer of territory is fully legal, meaning that we are not an occupying force. We have never treated anyone as second rate citizens nor do we intend to start now. Our borders have always been open to our allies, and all citizens are free to settle where they wish, regardless of their ethnic background.

Again, we reiterate that we are willing to compensate Korea despite having no legal obligation to. A transfer of land however is something that cannot be negotiated.

Regards,

HRH Amyante Tojimaru
Queen of Zargathia[/quote]

[quote]Reply

Exactly what kind of compensation does Zargathia have in mind that will satisfy the rightful wish of the Korean people in reclaiming land? Only reclamation would do that. We are willing to be the ones compensating Zargathia with land and resources for land.

[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac318/kousenkankou/Maps/Zargathialandtransferplan.png[/img]

The Khanka region is an area rich in timber, enough to satisfy all that Zargathia would want. In addition to transfering this to you, we are willing to pay 6 billion won and also build two of our System-integrated Modular Advanced Reactors (SMARTs), which generates up to 100 MWe of energy and also has thermal applications such as seawater desalination. We are reasonable, and thus await Zargathia's exact offers. The attached map above shows the land exchange results of our offer, with light red being what will be transfered to Koryo and purple going to Zargathia.

Also, stop calling us Korea. We are Koryo, and we prefer to be known by our actual name then a westernized name.[/quote]

OOC: The mapmaker foced the Korea label on me. I'm Koryo.

Edited by Kankou

[quote]Dear Koryo,

Our apologies, we have corrected our maps accordingly.

Still, as your new offer consists of a direct transfer of land, we must again respectfully decline for much the same reason as stated in the previous two communiques. Zargathia has a power surplus thanks to our [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=67831&st=40&gopid=1844158&#entry1844158]Nuclear Power Plant[/url] and several hydroelectrical plants and wind turbines, more than sufficient to power our entire electrical train network, and have been making and exporting our own wood since the formation of our country (OOC: ingame resources). In addition, the tract of land that would -- according to your maps -- become ours belongs to Japan, not Koryo, leading to some confusion on our behalf.

What we are requesting, plain and simple, is a way to settle this potential dispute [i]without[/i] resorting to direct land transfers, be it through funds, resources and/or treaties. We would, for example, be willing to sign a treaty where one country would receive a section of land from the other should either country descend into anarchy as such would be an [i]indirect[/i] transfer of land that would only apply when the affected nation is no longer in a position to claim that land anyway. We do realize that your ability to sign a document of such nature depends on the terms under which Koryo has seceded from Rebel Army to become a successor state to Imperial Korea, but as we are no party in the arrangement the exact wording of articles is unknown to us.

Regards,

HRH Amyante Tojimaru
Queen of Zargathia[/quote]