DoE @ 11:08 PM, attacked by GOONS @ 11:36:21 PM

Blind Murder v2

[quote name='Lord Boris' date='25 June 2010 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1277473217' post='2349965']
Meh, even with a protectorate in the works/ready but not posted, one would think that more people would realize that this is how GOONS operates, and can operate, [b]given the amount of backsides they kiss[/b] to wedge themselves into the web sufficiently to avoid requiring taking responsibility for anything.
[/quote]

this is an interesting post for a number of reasons.

I mean, it makes sense that, as deeply personally unpleasant as Lord Boris is as a nation leader, he assumes that the only way nations can make friends with other nations is to kiss backside. After all, in his experience nobody actually has feelings of warmth, affection, or kinship towards him, and frankly with good reason.

What confuses me is him extending his own wretched experience of being a bitter, spiteful nation that nobody can stand to the rest of the cyberverse.

Boris, friendship actually exists. If you were a nicer person you might have experienced it rather than just reading about it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lamuella' date='25 June 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1277503790' post='2350390']

I mean, it makes sense that, as deeply personally unpleasant as Lord Boris is as a nation leader, he assumes that the only way nations can make friends with other nations is to kiss backside. After all, in his experience nobody actually has feelings of warmth, affection, or kinship towards him, and frankly with good reason.

What confuses me is him extending his own wretched experience of being a bitter, spiteful nation that nobody can stand to the rest of the cyberverse.

Boris, friendship actually exists. If you were a nicer person you might have experienced it rather than just reading about it.
[/quote]

[img]http://torn.sharuntech.com/public/style_emoticons/default/14njk9yjpg.gif[/img]

Never change, Boris.

And gj goons.

Edited by mythicknight

[quote name='Lamuella' date='25 June 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1277503790' post='2350390']

[/quote]

GOONS gives psychological analysis and advice ITT. <_<

Next Gramlins will give advice on how to win a war of attrition...

When starting up an alliance, talk to a larger alliance about a protectorate in advance and don't waste your time posting on the OWF about GOONS or some other alliance that allows raiding attacking you if you don't. It's pretty straight forward. Once you have your business taken care of, by all means have a party on the CN forums. You'll get people of all sorts congratulating you.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='26 June 2010 - 02:06 AM' timestamp='1277510799' post='2350480']
GOONS gives psychological analysis and advice ITT. <_<

Next Gramlins will give advice on how to win a war of attrition...

[/quote]

...and next ChairmanHal will post something worthwhile.

[quote name='rsoxbronco1' date='25 June 2010 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1277445019' post='2349774']
DoE @ 11:08 PM, attacked by GOONS @ 11:36:21 PM

At least we know where the bar is set at this point.
[/quote]

It's unfortunate that people who don't meet GOONS qualifications for an "alliance" risk being attacked just by posting on OWF. Obviously the only "freedoms" they care about are their own. Besides affecting the rights of individuals, it's a loss to the community as a whole. We lose the input of nations who might otherwise have good things to add to discussions.

Having said that, there is a certain amount of awe in a raid happening less than 1/2 hour after the DoE. Have the GOONS developed some new radar technology for OWF posts by non-protected nations? :P

[quote name='White Chocolate' date='26 June 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1277514366' post='2350514']
It's unfortunate that people who don't meet GOONS qualifications for an "alliance" risk being attacked just by posting on OWF. Obviously the only "freedoms" they care about are their own. Besides affecting the rights of individuals, it's a loss to the community as a whole. We lose the input of nations who might otherwise have good things to add to discussions. [/quote]
Having your nation attacked doesn't prevent you from contributing to OWF discussions.

See: Any wartime thread.

[quote name='White Chocolate' date='26 June 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1277514366' post='2350514']
Having said that, there is a certain amount of awe in a raid happening less than 1/2 hour after the DoE. Have the GOONS developed some new radar technology for OWF posts by non-protected nations? :P[/quote]
No, they just read the OWF.

Edited by Banksy

[quote name='White Chocolate' date='26 June 2010 - 02:06 AM' timestamp='1277514366' post='2350514']
It's unfortunate that people who don't meet GOONS qualifications for an "alliance" risk being attacked just by posting on OWF. Obviously the only "freedoms" they care about are their own. Besides affecting the rights of individuals, it's a loss to the community as a whole. We lose the input of nations who might otherwise have good things to add to discussions.

Having said that, there is a certain amount of awe in a raid happening less than 1/2 hour after the DoE. Have the GOONS developed some new radar technology for OWF posts by non-protected nations? :P
[/quote]

Yeah the OWF post was basically the reason they found him so fast.

[quote name='Banksy' date='25 June 2010 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1277514638' post='2350517']
Having your nation attacked doesn't prevent you from contributing to OWF discussions.
[/quote]

No, but reading threads from people who post and then are later attacked because they were "found" due to the post prevents people (those who pay attention and/or listen to the advice of others) from doing so.

This advice (and others who made similar posts)
[quote name='Muddog' date='25 June 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1277445543' post='2349788']
It's sadly a very savage world. I don't know you, but I don't want to assume anything. Get a protector, get back into a larger alliance, get more members quickly, or move into peace mode.
[/quote]
is excellent strategic advice. Anyone who wants to take an active role in the international arena has to follow it or not do so and increase the chance that they will be attacked and (if they point out the fact on OWF later) possibly be told it was a dumb move.

DoE's are important for small alliances. It helps with recruitment, which they desperately need in order to grow so that they are considered an "alliance" in the first place. Also could help with getting a protectorate. Diplomats from large alliances will not go to small ones if they don't know about them.

The decision regarding posting a DoE for a small alliance is a catch 22, and difficult to make.

[quote name='White Chocolate' date='25 June 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1277517941' post='2350539']
The decision regarding posting a DoE for a small alliance is a catch 22, and difficult to make.
[/quote]
No, it really isn't. You can get a protectorate or you can be raided, it's that simple. There's nothing catch 22 about it.

it's a simple risk/reward calculation. You increase your prominence at the price of increasing your prominence.

As almost no tech raiders go after treatied alliances, finding a protector before making your announcement is a fairly simple way of stopping this happening. If (as is often the case) you are leaving an alliance to found your own, might I suggest trying to get a treaty with your old alliance?

[quote name='nippy' date='25 June 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1277512704' post='2350503']
[/quote]

Oh look, [s]predictable[/s] nippy made a funny. Well darn it at least you tried. Would you like your usual participation ribbon?

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='25 June 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1277523849' post='2350624']
Oh look, [s]predictable[/s] nippy made a funny. Well darn it at least you tried. Would you like your usual participation ribbon?
[/quote]

Well I would certainly like one of those HAL ;)

[quote name='Lamuella' date='25 June 2010 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1277521877' post='2350580']
it's a simple risk/reward calculation. You increase your prominence at the price of increasing your prominence.

As almost no tech raiders go after treatied alliances, finding a protector before making your announcement is a fairly simple way of stopping this happening. If (as is often the case) you are leaving an alliance to found your own, might I suggest trying to get a treaty with your old alliance?
[/quote]
I thought I heard that conventional wisdom would guide someone away from getting a protectorate from their former alliance. Not that I have any alliance-forming credentials, but just something. Still, it can't hurt to get some more knowledge of foreign affairs and how they work before going this route.

[quote name='Chief Savage Man' date='25 June 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1277522626' post='2350590']
There's really nothing worthy of debate in this issue. You should have gotten a protector beforehand. The only reason it is being debated is because the other side of it involves GOONS, who would be criticized for building orphanages or hosting a fundraiser for sick kids.
[/quote]
The funds from the fundraiser were involuntarily donated from five unaligned nations in Maroon, while the orphanage was built on land razed from three independents in White.

[quote name='Chief Savage Man' date='25 June 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1277522626' post='2350590']
The only reason it is being debated is because the other side of it involves GOONS, who would be criticized for building orphanages or hosting a fundraiser for sick kids.
[/quote]
Gotta send the soldier's kids somewhere.

Have fun getting raided. OR get treaties.

o/ GOONS raiding prowess.

[quote name='nippy' date='25 June 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1277512704' post='2350503']
[/quote]

You know, Hal isn't an outspoken poster like many of us, but he is known as a poster for the quality of and sometimes lack of bias in his posts. May I suggest that next time you go after someone go after their weaknesses, not their strengths. Otherwise you're doing it wrong.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='26 June 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1277534755' post='2350789']
You know, Hal isn't an outspoken poster like many of us, but he is known as a poster for the quality of and sometimes lack of bias in his posts. May I suggest that next time you go after someone go after their weaknesses, not their strengths. Otherwise you're doing it wrong.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure everything you have suggested is based on opinion. Whereas you might find it be his strengths, others may find it be his weakness.

Edited by JackSkellington

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='26 June 2010 - 05:44 AM' timestamp='1277523849' post='2350624']
[/quote]

Tee hee, you made participation ribbons? :awesome:

Seriously, Hal, you came in this thread to do your usual :(( GOONS :(( and then reiterated what was already said by MANY people. That's your M.O., however, so it's expected.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='26 June 2010 - 08:46 AM' timestamp='1277534755' post='2350789']
[/quote]

May I suggest next time you get someone to defend the posting of another, you get someone other than yourself? You're just as bad as he is.

Edited by nippy